Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-16-2001, 02:00 PM   #1
gdl96

Crazy, insane, freaky, yet pretty cool

Yesturday afternoon, I was playing the multiplayer game Inklink on shockwave.com. It's kind of like a pictionary game. Anyway, I'm in this game room, and a person with a username "chill4eva" asks who in the room is male. I, along with several others, responded to that. She (actually, I thought she was a he at the time) then asked each male individually their age. I wasn't comfortable really with 15, that might be too young, so I replyed 16 when asked. She then asked my name (my username is gdl96 for the game) and I responded with my first name, greg. She said she had a brother named greg. Whatever. But after that it started getting wierd. She started saying things like "I love greg" and "Will you marry me, gdl?" and things of that such. Okaay. I responed with such things as ":P" and "uh..." I also found out that her name is Anna, she is 13, and lives in Ireland, or so she says.
Well, after a few games in the room, and most of them I won, I decided to leave and do some other stuff. But there was nothing to do, so five minutes later, I went back to inklink. Out of curiosity, I decided to locate chill4eva. Apparently, she was in a room she created called "chill 4 gdl96". This was really getting wierd. I went into the room, and she was very surprised to see me. She said some more stuff to me, which I don't think I should say at this board, and I had my usual responces. Anyway, we exchanged email addresses, and I eventually had to leave.
I know I should be very careful, because she might not be who she said she is.
This is extremely wierd and freaky. Obviously this person is crazy, and definately obsessed. Although, it is pretty cool to have and admireror.
Old 04-16-2001, 03:22 PM   #2
juntel

Re: Crazy, insane, freaky, yet pretty cool

That could be a 45 yrs old guy named Bubba, or whatever...
Old 04-16-2001, 03:59 PM   #3
Johnny Lurker

Or even worse...

No, I'm not going to say it. If the board censors would censor "walnut", there's no way they'd let me get away with *THAT*...
Old 04-16-2001, 05:19 PM   #4
bmilder

Re: Crazy, insane, freaky, yet pretty cool

Well just don't go flying off to Ireland any time soon

I remember back in summer '99 I used to frequent the AIM Star Wars chat room. One day some girl who claimed to be 12 contacted me and kept bugging me, with that same sort of stuff, and had all her friends and relatives contact me too. It was just annoying, so I just blocked all the names and I think they got the idea eventually. Even if this person was really a 12 year old female that's a bit young...

Even people you think you trust on the internet can turn out differently... if you remember Son of the Suns from the JC, he was lying about his name and age for over a year because of a past banning until he finally fessed up.

I was quite surprised to find out that DT was not a 45-year-old stalker :lol:
Old 04-16-2001, 07:09 PM   #5
galadriel1

BE CAREFUL!!!!

All I can say is BE CAREFUL!!!!! People are often NOT who you think they are online! Trust me! I was talking with this guy who said he was around 45. Turned out he was 60-some years old and he turned out to be a real pervert. I also know an older guy who was talking to a girl on ezboards. She started to get very, uh, suggestive. And she lied about her age! She was 14!!!!!! When he found this out, of course he didn`t want any part of it. She started following him around to all of the boards he posted on, making suggestive responses, stalking him. He finally had to threaten her with informing the authorities before she would finally stop. I`ve had several online experiences myself where I thought I knew someone pretty well but found out I did not. JUST be careful! Don`t get hurt! Don`t get too involved personally and be careful about what personal info. you give out even if you DO feel you can trust the person. A lot of people online are NOT who or what they make themselves out to be in their posts and emails. Just a note from a concerned boardmate who`s been burned - several times. Take care.
Old 04-17-2001, 11:07 PM   #6
GlaurungTheGold

Re: BE CAREFUL!!!!

just beware of anyone who calls themself Boromir and speaks Estonian. trust me on this one
Old 04-17-2001, 11:36 PM   #7
gdl96

I'm not gonna ask.
Old 04-18-2001, 03:11 AM   #8
Lief Erikson

How common is this thimbleheady behavior?
Old 04-18-2001, 04:51 AM   #9
The White Lady Eowyn

Definitely be careful. I've made a friend or two who I would concider true friends, and I would visit in RL, but mind you I've been talking to them for years, and never once did they desplay ANY weird behavior like that. It's not impossible to find REAL friends online, but as the theme of the thread seems to be, BE CAREFUL!!!!

Finding a friend online is one thing; a relationship, a whole nother fantasy world.

WL Eowyn
Old 04-18-2001, 06:17 AM   #10
Idril Celebrindal

another one to beware of is a guy calling himself Gollum or Dark Smeagol and telling you he sometimes thinks he's a treefrog. You'd know him if u met him. Hangs around on SC battlenet mostly. I know him in RL... u don't want to talk to him, believe me...
Old 04-18-2001, 09:07 PM   #11
Lief Erikson

Didn't he use to be on Entmoot? I seem to recall seeing a post or two of his, here.
Old 04-18-2001, 09:40 PM   #12
juntel

Wasn't it one of the thousand nicks gdl has used here? :lol: :lol:
Old 04-20-2001, 02:35 PM   #13
Darth Tater

LOL Adam! (99% of you have no idea what I'm talking about )

I once got an IM from a life long friend that read "Hi Sexy!" I was shocked till I found out it was one of her friends who was at her house. This friend had seen a picture of me (and still called me sexy! Wow! ) and decided to go after someone from up north and give up on those southerners.

Some things I've learned in meeting internet people in rl: Ben is a woman and Glaurung the Gold is six years old.
Old 04-20-2001, 05:41 PM   #14
Lief Erikson

Gossip, or true information? There was a topic once which was collecting information about people, but I haven't looked at it in a long time.
Old 04-21-2001, 05:44 AM   #15
Idril Celebrindal

Gollum may have been on here. If he was, I would be pretty surprised if he didn't get himself banned withing probably 2 posts. I don't remember seeing him here, though. fortunately.
Old 04-22-2001, 06:35 PM   #16
GlaurungTheGold

i only look like i'm 6 years old
Old 04-22-2001, 09:37 PM   #17
captain Tarpols

hey, you forgot me
Old 04-25-2001, 04:38 PM   #18
Darth Tater

Oh yeah, Tristan's six foot five and speaks with a Brittish accent (he's no relation of ben's)