Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-17-2004, 11:44 AM   #1
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Entmoot has reached a milestone...10,000 threads and 2,700 users

This is the 10,000th thread and entmoot has exactly 2,700 users at this time. I figured it called for a celebration.

If people want they can talk about what brought them here and their favorite experiences on Entmoot.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 02:00 PM   #2
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Go us!

I found Entmoot via Michael Martinez' board - I was reading his monthly articles on Tolkien, and he recommended this board as the most civil and well-moderated Tolkien board. I've really appreciated the mod's job keeping things PG-13 here.

My favorite experiences have been the great senses of humor among the Mooters, and sharing my love of Tolkien's work with people who actually know who Rog is and who know that Arwen did NOT carry Frodo to Rivendell, and the intelligent conversations on some of the more thoughtful threads, and the really silly threads just for a change!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 02:06 PM   #3
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
My favorite experiences have been the great senses of humor among the Mooters, and sharing my love of Tolkien's work with people who actually know who Rog is and who know that Arwen did NOT carry Frodo to Rivendell, and the intelligent conversations on some of the more thoughtful threads, and the really silly threads just for a change!
Uh... hate to ask - especially in this context, but... Rog??
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 02:14 PM   #4
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Go over to the Sil forum and read the current chapter thread - chpt. 20 - near the bottom of pg. 2. Quite interesting discussions! Have you read the Sil? I don't remember. Not that Rog is in the Sil ...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Last edited by Rían : 02-17-2004 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-17-2004, 02:20 PM   #5
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
I found Entmoot via Michael Martinez' board - I was reading his monthly articles on Tolkien, and he recommended this board as the most civil and well-moderated Tolkien board. I've really appreciated the mod's job keeping things PG-13 here.
too funny... that is exactly how i found this board some years ago (back before my recent visits)... at least we have something in common
Old 02-17-2004, 02:46 PM   #6
Rían

I think we have more than just that in common

Old 02-17-2004, 02:48 PM   #7
Beor
founder of the color blue

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
Uh... hate to ask - especially in this context, but... Rog??
I know Rian just got ya, but... dont just check out the thread, read the Fall of Gondolin in the Book of Lost Tales 2, its incredible.
Old 02-17-2004, 02:51 PM   #8
Valandil

Quote:
Go over to the Sil forum and read the current chapter thread - chpt. 20 - near the bottom of pg. 2. Quite interesting discussions! Have you read the Sil? I don't remember. Not that Rog is in the Sil ...
Yes... I HAVE read Silmarillion (THAT at least! )... but I see from what you wrote and what Beor adds below that it's in BoLT2... which I have slated for future reading.

I ALSO found Entmoot through Michael Martinez's articles at Suite 101. I began by doing a search for 'Arnor' and came up with one of his articles there, read a number of others - and finally checked out the 'links' - where the description of Entmoot made it sound almost as good as it actually is (!!).

Ben Milder, thank you! I always wonder if there's some way that the rest of us could chip in and help you pay for the space... unless you're like obscenely rich - in which case, I thank you anyway! I'd suggest we all start sending you money, but if too much came in, you might be tempted to do something terribly irresponsible with it... like go to college or something!

Again though, thank you! Truly!

Last edited by Valandil : 02-17-2004 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-17-2004, 03:01 PM   #9
Rían

Quote:
Originally posted by Beor
I know Rian just got ya, but... dont just check out the thread, read the Fall of Gondolin in the Book of Lost Tales 2, its incredible.
Yes, it's one of my favorites - go Tuor! And I was very impressed that Beor knew who Rog was.

Valandil - I certainly don't remember all the names, and if you had asked me who Rog was a week ago, I prob. couldn't have told you who he was, altho I might have had some vague connection to Gondolin or the Sil (altho really his name sounds like a Dwarvish name, and I might have guessed that!) But I remember the Folk of the Hammer from the FOGondolin, altho not the specific names. I had just re-read that section, and it applied to the discussion in the Sil forum, so I brought it up.

And you blow me out of the water with your grasp of dates - I'm really pathetic with dates and geography I just remember the stories.

Last edited by Rían : 02-17-2004 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-17-2004, 03:08 PM   #10
Beor

Quote:
Yes, it's one of my favorites - go Tuor! And I was very impressed that Beor knew who Rog was.

Valandil - I certainly don't remember all the names, and if you had asked me who Rog was a week ago, I prob. couldn't have told you who he was, altho I might have had some vague connection to Gondolin or the Sil (altho really his name sounds like a Dwarvish name, and I might have guessed that!) But I remember the Folk of the Hammer from the FOGondolin, altho not the specific names. I had just re-read that section, and it applied to the discussion in the Sil forum, so I brought it up.

Yeah, I just re-read it too, but I forget other things, such as what their ceremony was that they were in the middle of when the bad guys attacked. Something about summer. Rog Rules! (need an angry hammer wielding smiley)
Old 02-17-2004, 03:08 PM   #11
Rían

Quote:
[B]Yes... I HAVE read Silmarillion (THAT at least! )... but I see from what you wrote and what Beor adds below that it's in BoLT2... which I have slated for future reading.
I thought you had read the Sil, but couldn't remember for sure.
*kicks self* OMGoodness, how stupid! Of course, you know it WELL! That's obvious from the quote game!! Stupid me! I must need a nap ...

When you get BOLT2, my advice is to go straight to FOG - skip over Tinuviel and the cats!

Quote:
Ben Milder, thank you!
Ditto!!

Old 02-17-2004, 03:13 PM   #12
Beor

Quote:
When you get BOLT2, my advice is to go straight to FOG - skip over Tinuviel and the cats!

Ditto!!
Good plan, but definitely come back, because those cats kick...uh...butt.

also ditto, even though I dont really know who the guy is, other than the Iluvatar of Entmoot, I take it.

First, there was Ben, the one...
Old 02-17-2004, 03:15 PM   #13
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Well I for one didn't go through MM's board. I was actively seeking someone to talk about Tolkien and Middle Earth with, having given up my family and friends, and so I did a google search. And found this place to be the one I liked best.

My best moment here on Entmoot was when I discovered the Athrabeth, thanks to SGH and RÃ*an!
Old 02-17-2004, 03:19 PM   #14
Rían

That was definitely one of the best threads ever

Old 02-17-2004, 03:21 PM   #15
Valandil

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
My best moment here on Entmoot was when I discovered the Athrabeth, thanks to SGH and RÃ*an!
Another HoME reference?
Old 02-17-2004, 03:32 PM   #16
Artanis

Quote:
Another HoME reference?
Exactly. HoME 10, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth. Lovely discussion about death and the fate of Elves and Men, and a great but sad love story.
Old 02-17-2004, 03:40 PM   #17
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

Meh i was going to post this thread but i needed to wait for a few more threads lol . Never mind though...

Visit the Ye Olde Avatar Shop and The New One

Dont tell me what I cannot do

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

My name bares no reference to the music artist.
Twista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 03:44 PM   #18
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

I always liked logging on and seeing my name first in the alphabetical list of active mooters at the bottom. And between posts I scroll down to ogle, only to see that someone has cut me in the Line of Glory. (Usually Artanis, as a matter of fact.) And so I say say out loud: "Aaah! Curse you Artanis!"
Old 02-17-2004, 03:50 PM   #19
Artanis

Quote:
Originally posted by Bombadillo
I always liked logging on and seeing my name first in the alphabetical list of active mooters at the bottom. And between posts I scroll down to ogle, only to see that someone has cut me in the Line of Glory. (Usually Artanis, as a matter of fact.) And so I say say out loud: "Aaah! Curse you Artanis!"
LOL! That was a nice thing I didn't think of when I chose that name.
Old 02-17-2004, 03:57 PM   #20
Valandil

EDIT: Made a joke and after thinking about it, thought it sounded meaner than I intended. So I just wiped it out. If you saw it... sorry.

Last edited by Valandil : 02-17-2004 at 04:09 PM.