Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-16-2001, 05:29 PM   #1
Lief Erikson

How many people here are writers?

Just a question that came to mind. How many of you write books, from fantasy to history, or just short or silly stories? I'd be interested in hearing how many people here do more writing outside of the Internet, and about the stories they've written.
Old 04-16-2001, 07:36 PM   #2
Idril Celebrindal

Re: How many people here are writers?

I write a little, but not much... just sometimes if I have an idea, I'll maybe write it down, and possibly develop it into a story.
Old 04-16-2001, 08:47 PM   #3
Grand Admiral Reese

I can't write well at all. WEll, atleast I don't think I can. My English teacher believes otherwise, but I don't believe her.
Old 04-16-2001, 10:58 PM   #4
Lief Erikson

This is a sad tale of woe. Any bright stories available?

But thanks for giving me a couple responses. All the other topics I was interested in have been being buried.
Old 04-16-2001, 11:19 PM   #5
Spock1

Writing??? I can print. Of course writers are here it seems all the time.....must be writers block en masse
:rollin:
:rollin:
Old 04-17-2001, 02:08 AM   #6
Elanor

I write lots of essays. I get good grades on essays. I haven't attempted a story for a long time. It never works. I still say "someday" though...
Old 04-17-2001, 03:22 AM   #7
Lief Erikson

You aught to try them out. They really can be fun to write, and it's one of my favorite activities. But on the other hand, my sister has gone through several writing tests for college, and passed them all with the best possible. She only writes essays and reports as well, so I don't know. It isn't necessary at all, simply a fun thing to do.
Old 04-17-2001, 04:48 AM   #8
Niffiwan

I'm not a writer, but I enjoy hobby-writing and have recently written a 20-page (MSword pages) long part of a story which I had hoped to continue but hadn't got around to it.

I even tried to write a story about the final battle in which Arnor fell, but didn't get past the first few pages.
Possible reason:

1. My stamina was put to the ultimate test because I was writing almost in Silmarillion-style; that's not my preferance
2. I didn't have enough information to work on, and I didn't want to be unfaithfull to Tolkien.

I also have a young friend who has written a very depressing sci-fi (but only barely sci-fi) story last year which was 120 MSword pages. Unfortunatly, he had about 20 viruses on his computer at the time and the story was deleted.
He's also written, among other stories and a gruesome poem, a 40-page (MSword) depressing story about World War 2. (All his stories are depressing...)

If anyone remembers Brewhaha, he's a pretty good story-writer himself. He writes very rarely, but when he does he puts a lot of effort and imagination into it (and he'll kill me when he sees this ).

Anyway, the only story on display at my put-on-hold-for-quite-a-long-time website that I wrote is one that I wrote a while ago and may be amusing to people with the right sense of humour. It's not by any means professional; as I said I wrote it when I was pretty young.
Old 04-17-2001, 05:43 PM   #9
Lief Erikson

Re: ...

Silmarillion style isn't my preference either, and I'm surprised you tried to write about that. Is the last battle of Arnor in The Lost Tales?

I don't think I've ever written a depressing story, although I have written tragedies once or twice. But they are all only about ten to fifteen pages long each, so they don't draw any tears.

The best stories I've written are all exciting fantasy action adventures with happy endings and no main characters dying. Except one or two, but their deaths are always made so that they are acceptable. As a matter of a fact, writing about the death of one of my main characters in my best book yet was my favorite part to write.
Old 04-17-2001, 06:46 PM   #10
X Rogue

Does writing stories for an online group count? Then yes, I write. But it's been years since I did anything else. Pity.
Old 04-17-2001, 07:41 PM   #11
Idril Celebrindal

woohoo!!

got my grade back for my english coursework, namely a story... full marks

I didn't expect much... I don't think I'm that good. My english teacer seems to think otherwise. The comment give was 'had you considered taking your exams a year early?' ok, that freaked me... but anyway... I write fantasy and sci-fi stuff. I hate the real world right now. For my english I'd done this piece which could be called fantasy, but was probably technically sci-fi. The only good bit as far as I can see is that the ending is totally unexpected. I didn't expect it, and I wrote the damn thing.
Old 04-17-2001, 08:59 PM   #12
Mathron

yep.

Yah, I am a writer - or so I am hoping to be. I've been working on a book for, oh, 6 years or so now... I started in middle school, wrote a chapter, stopped for a few years, wrote another, etc, but now I am actually working on it, now that I am in college.
I write fantasy/sci fi mostly, and aside from my book, write short stories, poems, lots of online stuff.
Old 04-17-2001, 09:14 PM   #13
Lief Erikson

Writing

Fantasy and sci-fi are my favorite writing topics as well. My only good books are of those types. One was a Star Wars book with all my own characters. It sort of takes off of the games we play at home.

And the others are fantasy. They are in a world which I made up as I rocked on the Mom's chair(The chair I'm not allowed to sit on) .

I was banned from the computer, and I really had the itch to write. Thankfully, I found a sneaky solution to accomplish my problem. I thought up a country called Arla, and made an adventure which takes place within it.

Mom had to check my math papers, and my grammar papers demanded that I write a section of writing full of a certain type of error. So I made an exciting adventure out of it and left off in a cliff hanger. It was well written, and so I was given personal permission from her to write the rest of the story on the computer. To get to the action instantly, I had started the story in the middle of the adventure. So I continued writing from thence from the middle to the end on the backs of my papers, and from the beginning to the middle on the computer.
Old 04-18-2001, 03:39 AM   #14
Elbreth of Carhouth

Re: Writing

I'm at about the same spot as Mathron, although he's further along in his book than I. And, by the way Mathron, you are a writer, just not an author yet.
I'm an author, but unpublished. My manuscripts have, so far been rejected by publishers. Not that I've sent that many in. I need to get back at it.
I write Star Wars fan fiction, LOTS! Although it's not my favourite. I'm lost in the past I'm afraid, mostly medieval times. I love writing things with an anology or lots symbolism. Short stories, poems, novels, or essays, I do them all. I don't know how I'd be with articles though, never got the hang of that.
Old 04-18-2001, 04:08 AM   #15
Lief Erikson

Hmmm. My longer books most often are finished in two to three months, not five or six years. I haven't made any which are two hundred pages yet, but I'm getting close. And naturally, I'm not trying for length, like some people I've talked to have thought.

I think the reason my books take so much shorter is because I concentrate on them so completely while I'm writing them. I can work for several hours at a time, and do the same the next day, and the next. And finally after a long time has passed I begin to get less caught up with it, and then I stop after a time for a very long break.

When I was writing The Last Knight of Iastanva, I wrote until I was just before the climax, and then got bored and stopped for about four months. Then I started again and finished it in less than a week.
Old 04-18-2001, 06:07 AM   #16
Idril Celebrindal

I do that. Usually I finish the story in basic form really quickly, and then take ages expanding it and developing characters. Usually it ends up bing about something totally different to what it started as, and I don't know where it's going until it gets there...
Old 04-18-2001, 09:02 PM   #17
Lief Erikson

My stories usually go through several stages. First comes the inspiration stage. A flash of an idea appears in my head, usually simply something that would be cool to do in a story, not the plot yet.

Then comes the general plot stage. I write it out in a very general format, basically what happens in the story in very brief detail.

Then I give information for what will happen scene by scene, conversation after conversation and everything in order as to how it will happen in the book. That is a very delicate stage, and involves TONS of revising and such. Often I drift off from it while I'm writing the book as well, if I think of a better idea for instance. When I was writing The Wraith of Fire, I deverted from it almost entirely after the first two chapters. That was the largest one of those that I've done in a while.

Then I write it out.
Old 05-07-2001, 09:25 PM   #18
Snowdawg

I've written a few Tolkienesque side stories based in Middle Earth, but my writing style does not morror Tolkiens. I have also been writing a novel since 1975. Maybe one day I will finish.
Old 05-08-2001, 05:01 PM   #19
X Rogue

Forgot to add that I like writing and my online round robin group is practice to get started again. My brain is mush.
Old 05-08-2001, 05:46 PM   #20
Johnny Lurker

I write...

... rants.
... essays.
... songs.
... scripts.
... computer programs.
... proofs.
... posts.