Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-19-2003, 07:48 PM   #1
Bacchus
Elven Warrior

A theory

At the outset, let me say that I am not attempting to denigrate or in any way belittle the opinions of any individuals. I am honestly curious about this, and I think it might make for an interesting discussion.

Is there a correlation between the age of individuals and their willingness to accept changes made to the story in the movie adaptation? Speaking for myself, I made a conscious decision to seperate the books from the movies, and to judge the movies based upon their own merits or lack thereof. Having done so, I can honestly say that I think the movies were very well done, despite the fact that certain plot and character elements were changed to a greater or lesser degree. But here's the catch. 15 years ago, I would have been screaming to the heavens about the changes. I would not have been able to evaluate the movies beyond noticing all the myriad little (and big) changes. Even more recently, I recall being angry at hearing that Elijah Wood had been cast as Frodo-Frodo was 50, not 20. Perhaps age has mellowed me to the point that I no longer consider it critical that the movies match precisely. I really don't know.

Thoughts?

Always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote