Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-07-2006, 06:19 AM   #1
Farimir Captain of Gondor
Spaceman Spiff

Location: In the belly of a Firefly, living in Serenity is where you'll find me
M. Night Shyamalan

I did a thread search to see if he has already been talked about and found one for just The Village, so I decided to start a new one . I just watched his American Express commercial and it inspired me to do some looking up on him and found out he's coming out with a new movie called Lady in the Water. Here's a link about M. Night and a place where you can watch the trailer:

http://www.mnight.com/

I couldn't get it to play for me . I did look at some of the stills and who's going to be in it. I see he's bring Bryce Howard back, he has a way of bring back people he's used before. Paul Giamatti is going to be in it too.
I can't say to much more about it then this because he's keeping most of secret for now. I know it's coming out July 21 of this year and I'm kind of surprised I havn't the previews for it. Then again, i havn't been to the movies or been watching that much T.V. lately.

I think all all of his movies are amazing. IMO, he is the only real "scary movie" director left. The gory movies are okay and have there place but M. Night's movies have left me walking out everytime saying, " That just freaked me out." His plot twist and timing are matched by none, exept for maybe Hitchcock, and his characters all have that feel of "this could be me or someone I know". I like how he always finds a way to put himself in the movies too. I don't really want to say to much about any of the films in fear of giving something away, though I'm sure most of us have seen them, so I'll just list them in the order of much I liked them and why. Not an easy thing to do considering they were all great.

Unbreakable- I like the idea of this movie and the fact that it was made after a comic book character

The Sixth Sense- Haley Joel Osment and Bruce Willis were great together

Signs- Aliens without making the alien itself the scary part plus Jaoquin Phonix's character was awesome. "Swing away Merrill"

The Village- good consept and Jaoquin was again great but kind of let me down. It was my own fault.

What's everyones view of M.Night Shyamalan? Are you going to see this new film? Which of his movies did you like? Which one didn't you like?
Old 03-07-2006, 07:02 AM   #2
Rev. Justin Timberlake
Andúril the White

What began as a winning formula could turn out to hurt his future films.

It is a Shyamalan thing (generally speaking) to have a big twist at the end. However, audiences are now aware of this and as a result, there is a sort of "reverse" suspension of disbelief. IMO, watching a movie (as if it is) completely out of context pulls you out of it. You're thinking about the twist; thinking about the correct context of the film, and how it compares to what you are actually seeing.

I would prefer to be pulled into the universe of the film, and then follow it through to it's conclusion, whether twisted or conservative, rather than conduct extensive in-movie analysis of just how I've been misinterpreting the damn thing.

That's not to say that I don't like twists. I merely do not like this element of predictability.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:14 AM   #3
Spaceman Spiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Justin Timberlake
What began as a winning formula could turn out to hurt his future films.
Not if he stays creative and I think he's quit cable of doing that.

Quote:
It is a Shyamalan thing (generally speaking) to have a big twist at the end. However, audiences are now aware of this and as a result, there is a sort of "reverse" suspension of disbelief. IMO, watching a movie (as if it is) completely out of context pulls you out of it. You're thinking about the twist; thinking about the correct context of the film, and how it compares to what you are actually seeing.
This is why The Village was disapointing to me but like I said it was my fault for going into the film expecting that twist. If you decide to go into the movie with an open mind, or a clear mind I should say, this wont happen and you can enjoy the things that come up. It might be hard to do though.

So, you not looking forward to the new film or liked any of his other ones?

Last edited by Farimir Captain of Gondor : 03-07-2006 at 07:28 AM.
Farimir Captain of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 07:31 AM   #4
Rev. Justin Timberlake
Andúril the White

The Sixth Sense drew me in and caught me unawares. I enjoyed it. It was unexpected. Unpredictable.

Unbreakable.....meh. Should I have been more shocked at the twist?

The Village. After watching Unbreakable I felt less like I was being conned, so I was able to invest myself deeper into the film. The twist was silly, but it got me. Left the theatre rather unsatisfied though.

But now, his very name on a production changes the way I watch the film. You mention that things will be fine should one decide to go in with an open mind. But that is what I'm getting at. It is much more difficult (for me, now) to do so, and I don't like putting that type of effort into film watching. I am being asked to try to not imagine that everything I am watching is a "dream", or in some other way out of context.

A film like Identity is a case in point. I had no knowledge of Mangold or Cooney, and as such I went into the film without a frame of reference, and also without a preferred method of interpretation. And that is how the plot twist was so effective for me. I went in with an open mind, submerged myself in the realm of that hotel, and was yanked out unexpectedly towards the end.

Similarly, The Game is a good example.

I'll probably see Lady if I'm bored.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:46 AM   #5
Spaceman Spiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Justin Timberlake
The Sixth Sense drew me in and caught me unawares. I enjoyed it. It was unexpected. Unpredictable.
This, if i understand where your coming from, is because you had no previous experience with M. Night and his way of making movies? Which caught you off gaurd like the Identity did? Which, by the way, was an awesome movie.

Quote:
Unbreakable.....meh. Should I have been more shocked at the twist?
I think this is because you went into the movie expeting a twist when IMO, there wasn't really suppose to be a big twist. This movie was more about a man coming to realization that he is exeptional and that he needs to use his ability for the good of man. I know that sounds cheesey but i didn't know how to word it better . I knew from the begining that that Elijah (Samuel L.) was behind everything but that was from knowing the story before I watched the movie. The same way you know Saruman is the "bad guy" before the FotR.

Quote:
The Village. After watching Unbreakable I felt less like I was being conned, so I was able to invest myself deeper into the film. The twist was silly, but it got me. Left the theatre rather unsatisfied though.
Yeah I left feeling disappointed too.

Quote:
But now, his very name on a production changes the way I watch the film. You mention that things will be fine should one decide to go in with an open mind. But that is what I'm getting at. It is much more difficult (for me, now) to do so, and I don't like putting that type of effort into film watching. I am being asked to try to not imagine that everything I am watching is a "dream", or in some other way out of context.
So do you consider a director who makes two or three comedies to only be a comedic director? Or, if a director makes a film like The Matrix trilogy (Wachowski brothers) can't come back and make another movie where you won't go into thinking "okay where's the bullet time stuff? or "where's the funny lines?"? I'm just trying to say, yes, some directors like M. Night do only make certain kind's of movies but to label them as such can ruin a film.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
I'll probably see Lady if I'm bored.

I'll see for sure.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:02 PM   #6
b.banner
Elf Lord

Location: Trying to keep a hold on my temper so I don't turn into a big green guy.
i can't wait for Lady in The Water!
"We are going to tickle some Aes Sedai under the chin, rescue a mule, and put a snip-nosed girl on the Lion Throne. Oh, yes. That's Aviendha. Don't look at her cross-wise or she'll try to cut your throat and probably slit her own by mistake."-Mat Cauthon from Wheel of Time

"Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry...."-Dr. Bruce Banner
HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
b.banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 05:08 PM   #7
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

I really like Shyamalan's stuff. I agree with the Reverend about predictablilty, though. That's how I felt watching Villiage. I liked the acting in that movie, but there were too many plot problems to keep it from becoming a fave. Unbreakable was just too weird. By this I don't mean I was 'weirded out' or anything, it was just too... corny? I mean, comic books? I thought it was kind of.. well, corny. now for my faves:

Sixth Sense. I love this movie!! So long as you don't go *too* far, the plot works really well. The acting is superb, especially that of young Mr. Osmet. Man, that kid has talent! The story's good, the execution is good, the acting's good. What's not to like? The only problem I have with it is that the ending, once known, fails to be in any way remarkable. The second time I watched it, I thought I would be somewhat affected at the end of the movie, because the first time I watched it I was completely blown away. But instead it just coasted. Which wasn't bad, just not what I was expecting.

Signs. This movie ranks among my favourites of all time. Again, the acting is way, way out there. The plot is almost foolproof, the characters are solid, well-built, real. The setting is amazing, especially since I hate those take-over-the-world, all-life-on-earth-is-at-stake, alien movies. They just get too cheesy, Hollywoodized. This movie's special effects were so subtle and used only to further the story. I mean, we probably see the (yeah, *the*) alien for a total of seven minutes! What carried the story wasn't the aliens, it was the characters, and I love a character-driven movie. Like I said, this is, IMO, one of the best movies of all time.

I am really interested in seeing Lady. I liked Bryce Dallas Howard in Village, and I think she's got potential. I love Paul Giamatti. I think he'd be great carrying one of M. Night's movies. Also, the trailer (leaving aside the potentially silly idea of a sprite in a swimming-pool) looked incredibly interesting. The fade out: "A bedtime story... from M. Night Shyamalan" was just to die for! I hope it's good.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 05:17 PM   #8
b.banner
Elf Lord

Location: Trying to keep a hold on my temper so I don't turn into a big green guy.
the first time i saw The Sixth Sense i was 9 and it freaked me out!but now i love it
"We are going to tickle some Aes Sedai under the chin, rescue a mule, and put a snip-nosed girl on the Lion Throne. Oh, yes. That's Aviendha. Don't look at her cross-wise or she'll try to cut your throat and probably slit her own by mistake."-Mat Cauthon from Wheel of Time

"Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry...."-Dr. Bruce Banner
HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
b.banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:31 PM   #9
Spaceman Spiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie Gamgee
Signs. This movie ranks among my favourites of all time. Again, the acting is way, way out there. The plot is almost foolproof, the characters are solid, well-built, real. The setting is amazing, especially since I hate those take-over-the-world, all-life-on-earth-is-at-stake, alien movies. They just get too cheesy, Hollywoodized. This movie's special effects were so subtle and used only to further the story. I mean, we probably see the (yeah, *the*) alien for a total of seven minutes! What carried the story wasn't the aliens, it was the characters, and I love a character-driven movie. Like I said, this is, IMO, one of the best movies of all time.
One of my favorites as well. This is probably one of the best discriptions of Signs I have ever heard. If I had never seen this film and you then said this, I would see it that day.

Quote:
I am really interested in seeing Lady. I liked Bryce Dallas Howard in Village, and I think she's got potential. I love Paul Giamatti. I think he'd be great carrying one of M. Night's movies. Also, the trailer (leaving aside the potentially silly idea of a sprite in a swimming-pool) looked incredibly interesting. The fade out: "A bedtime story... from M. Night Shyamalan" was just to die for! I hope it's good.
I know, I'm sooo exited about this film. The fairy part did kind of throw me off, but it still looks good.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:48 PM   #10
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
I really like Shyamalan's stuff. I agree with the Reverend about predictablilty, though. That's how I felt watching Villiage. I liked the acting in that movie, but there were too many plot problems to keep it from becoming a fave. Unbreakable was just too weird. By this I don't mean I was 'weirded out' or anything, it was just too... corny? I mean, comic books? I thought it was kind of.. well, corny. now for my faves:
I'm the opposite; I found the acting and especially their Quaker English to be stilted, but I liked the film over all.

Quote:
Again, I didn't think the characters really were very fleshed-out at all. They had a few characteristics thrown in, but nothing on a really impressive scale. It was, I felt, the mood that carried this movie.

Plus, you see two aliens.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 05:32 PM   #11
BeardofPants
the Shrike

*poo-poos the dude whose name she can't speel
I liked Sixth Sense, the rest have been sub-par IMO.
Old 04-02-2006, 03:14 AM   #12
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

The American Express commercial was great!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 04:19 PM   #13
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem
I'm the opposite; I found the acting and especially their Quaker English to be stilted, but I liked the film over all.
I suppose I should clarify; I *do* agree entirely that the language was stilted. Very awkward. That is one of the reasons I didn't like it; it made them sound suspiciously like they were reading lines off of a page. However, the actual portrayal of emotion and action was well-done. I think the actors did the best the could with the clumsy lines given them; I guess that is what I meant.

Quote:
Again, I didn't think the characters really were very fleshed-out at all. They had a few characteristics thrown in, but nothing on a really impressive scale. It was, I felt, the mood that carried this movie.
It's probably a matter of opinion. My take on it is; the people are real. By that I mean that the actors really brought the characters to life, making the audience believe that these people could indeed exist. Also I mean that none of the characters are really your typical 'cookie-cutter', mass-produced good-guy/bad-guy characters. Each has a uniqueness about the way that they react; each has a back-story that makes their character more believable.
About all of this being 'impressive', I think that in most cases the art is in the subtlety. It's like sound-effects. If they are right, no one notices. In most cases, IMHO, if a character is too 'impressive'--in terms of personality, say--it gets distracting. *shrug* Of course, this is all just my opinion--I have no problem if you don't agree.

Quote:
Plus, you see two aliens.
Ah, right--the one on TV.

Old 04-04-2006, 12:30 AM   #14
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
I suppose I should clarify; I *do* agree entirely that the language was stilted. Very awkward. That is one of the reasons I didn't like it; it made them sound suspiciously like they were reading lines off of a page. However, the actual portrayal of emotion and action was well-done. I think the actors did the best the could with the clumsy lines given them; I guess that is what I meant.
Too each his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Gamgee
It's probably a matter of opinion. My take on it is; the people are real. By that I mean that the actors really brought the characters to life, making the audience believe that these people could indeed exist. Also I mean that none of the characters are really your typical 'cookie-cutter', mass-produced good-guy/bad-guy characters. Each has a uniqueness about the way that they react; each has a back-story that makes their character more believable.
About all of this being 'impressive', I think that in most cases the art is in the subtlety. It's like sound-effects. If they are right, no one notices. In most cases, IMHO, if a character is too 'impressive'--in terms of personality, say--it gets distracting. *shrug* Of course, this is all just my opinion--I have no problem if you don't agree.
To each his own.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 04-04-2006, 02:52 AM   #15
Rev. Justin Timberlake
Andúril the White

Quote:
I suppose I should clarify; I *do* agree entirely that the language was stilted. Very awkward. That is one of the reasons I didn't like it; it made them sound suspiciously like they were reading lines off of a page.
I think it was fitting. Consider the context of the film.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:39 PM   #16
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

I agree that Quaker English was probably right for the context of the story, yes. I just think it was clumsily written, is all.

Old 04-04-2006, 02:33 PM   #17
Gwaimir Windgem

Same here. Quaker-style English fit well in the story line, but it was poorly written (and delivered, sez I ).

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 04-04-2006, 04:32 PM   #18
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Like I said: they did the best they could with what they had. And as I also said before: the emotion was portrayed well, even if the dialogue was choppy.

Old 04-04-2006, 07:14 PM   #19
Spaceman Spiff

Let me see if I understand. The general consensus is, the acting was good, the script sucked, and all in all...The Village sucked? Right?
Old 04-04-2006, 07:22 PM   #20
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Pretty much. The acting and the score were it's redeeming qualities. The rest, for the most part, flopped.