Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-20-2001, 07:54 PM   #1
Comic Book Guy 2001

Shelob And Spiders

Ok I've got arachnophobia and i'm worried about scenes in LOTR that involve Shelob etc. How long does PJ plan these scenes to be cause I don't wanna spend Half of the time With my eyes closed!!!!
Old 05-20-2001, 08:21 PM   #2
Perisil

Re: Shelob And Spiders

Im pretty sure guessing the kinda guy PJ is hes gone be in monster movie heaven when it comes to Shelob. I mean if you have arachnophobia and you thought the book was scary you better bring a change of undys cause your gonna cream you pants when you actualy see her. We can only guess how long the scene will be but with all the improvising hes already doing i would assume he'll be milkin the chapter for all its worth. On the other hand when it comes to scary monsters less can be more, i mean the more thats left to the imagination the scary it can be, kinda like the whole blair witch thing, or jaws, i found the less i saw what was killing the people in the water the more i built up the monster in my mind plus Cirith Ungol is so physically dark you might not see her completley clearly so that will add to the suspence i think and add some scary music and youve gotta helluva scene. Personally i cant wait!
Old 05-20-2001, 08:29 PM   #3
Comic Book Guy 2001

I can't wait
Old 05-22-2001, 08:43 PM   #4
Inoldonil

Way to put it to him easy!
Old 05-23-2001, 06:01 PM   #5
Perisil

LOL, yeah well i do what i can.
Perhaps i was a bit dramatic with the creaming your pants part, sorry, realy, dont be discouraged its only an oppinion and opinnions are like a-holes everbodys got one, besides heck for all i know they could be making her out of pink legos
Old 05-24-2001, 03:59 AM   #6
Inoldonil

:lol:
Old 05-24-2001, 02:31 PM   #7
Darth Tater

I think Shelob will be extremely disturbing to anyone with arachnaphobia, sorry to say that but hey, she scares me and I love spiders!
Old 05-24-2001, 06:37 PM   #8
IronParrot

If the portrayal of Shelob frightens you, that's probably something to be marked down as a success in terms of the effectiveness of the film.
Old 05-26-2001, 11:25 PM   #9
Comic Book Guy 2001

Well Looks Likes Closing eyes and Covering Ears for me, Of all the creatures tolkien could have Chose....
Old 05-27-2001, 11:11 PM   #10
anduin

I have a fear of heights and flying. I get vertigo if I am on a household ladder and nearly panic on airplanes. But have little or no problem viewing these situations on a screen.....even on a huge IMAX screen (although I still experience vertigo somewhat). What I'm getting at is perhaps you will not fear Shelob because your mind will tell you that you are not in danger because the spider is on the screen. Sure it may be scary (and I pray that it is) but maybe not uncomfortably so.....like an IMAX movie ( Everest would be a good example), thrilling but not dangerous.
Old 05-28-2001, 03:51 PM   #11
Darth Tater

anduin, wait to judge everest till you've seen it at the Omni here in Boston, biggest IMAX in the world (actually, may be one the same size in California)
Old 06-01-2001, 12:50 AM   #12
Samwise of the shire

The one part where Sam and Frodo are cornerd by Shelob is accompanied by painfull hangnails on my part and spiders dont BUG me but hey The Two Towers is coming out in December 2002 so you dont have to worry about it for awhile.What I'm worried about is the Balrog,I heared this one guy jumped out of his seat cause it appeared so suddenly(hey was at the Cannes film festival). And I was gonna see a picture of the Balrog but it was rated R meaning the person in charge of the site advised people eighteen years and older see the picture.So a creature so scary that a thirteen year old cant see it,appearing so suddenly a grown man jumps out of his seat that deffiantly means I'm not gonna drink much soda during the movie.
Sam
Old 06-01-2001, 05:15 PM   #13
Comic Book Guy 2001

The guy who jumped

Well this is one guy and for all we know he could be a really big chicken, Scaredy Cat Whatever. Anyway I don't care if is very scary, Wild horses coudn't stop me from going to the movies :P
Old 06-02-2001, 01:44 AM   #14
Darth Tater

Hey Sam, what site has the picture? droooool
Old 06-03-2001, 08:02 PM   #15
Samwise of the shire

Oh now let me see

I think that it's on the home site of Tolkien Movies but I'm not sure if it's not on there then you might want to go to links(near the bottom of the page)ww.tolkien-movies.com See I'm not intirely sure,tolkien movies is on a website whoes web addy I forgot but if you cant find it then e-mail me and I think I might have it on my favorites.
andhill@quixnet.net
Sam
Ps.I am NOT a chicken and if your talkin about the guy who made the spoiler. I said the sucker appeared so fast he jumped out of his seat (would'nt anyone?) not from fright but because he was suprised
Old 06-04-2001, 02:50 PM   #16
Darth Tater

hrmm, wrong url
Old 06-04-2001, 04:28 PM   #17
Comic Book Guy 2001

Sorry Sam. I didn't realise.
Old 06-05-2001, 01:49 PM   #18
anduin

Tater, he just left out a "w" in the url. That site has some pretty good pics, but I didn't see one of Shelob. (Hmmm, I wonder if that is what you meant Tater.)
Old 06-05-2001, 08:03 PM   #19
Samwise of the shire

Auggghhhhh

Ohmygosh *hits head on wall*I'm sorry bout that here's my full E-mail addy, -andhill@quixnet.net-(that's Sandhill as in the bird)I'm sorry about that Tater. Um half a moment....dmnit all I could'nt find it I thought it was in my favorites,but it must not've been" I literally HATE it when that happens.Wait wait maybe the links on the Tolkien movies will take you somewhere.
Sam
Old 06-05-2001, 08:38 PM   #20
Darth Tater

Well, I did check the site out and there's no pics of it there or on the affiliates. for something like that i have to assume new line made em take it down