Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-09-2005, 11:33 AM   #141
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

OK,cool,dry humor, yep BTW what is your avatar, zoro? or something?
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 02:57 PM   #142
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Its Jimmy Page's metaphysical symbol that was used as part of the album name for Led Zeppelin's fourth album.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 03:49 PM   #143
rohirrim TR

Oh, cool.
Quote:
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:51 PM   #144
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

So tonight you better stop and rebuild all your ruins, because peace and trust can win the day despite of all your losing.

Immigrant Song.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 11:59 AM   #145
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Oh the war is common cry,
Pick up your swords and fly.
The sky is filled with good and bad
That mortals never know.

Old 12-14-2005, 04:58 PM   #146
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

So what the heck has been going on in Australia now?

Old 12-14-2005, 05:26 PM   #147
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

I was just thinking the same thing yesterday - and thinking it would be apropos to discuss it in this here thread, since it's basically the same concept - young Muslims & non-Muslims having at each other. I just heard a snippet about it on the news yesterday, though, so I'm not really "qualified" yet to discuss it, but it DOES seem that, world over, the Muslims are having more than "problems" integrating and/or getting along with their non-Muslim neighbors in the Western countries in general.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:57 PM   #148
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

I think in Australia its less of a case of Muslims having issues with others as it is others (Australians) on edge because of tourist bombings the past few years (Bali and Jakarta that killed many Australians) and then having a single event ignite violence (in this case Lebanese kids rumored to have beaten up an Australian life guard). Strange that they would attack anyone non-white because of what some Lebanese kids might have done? But things just escalated from there. From what I understand Sydney, as opposed to France, normally has a pretty good reputation as a racially mixed and harmonious place. So this is uncharacteristic.

Old 03-29-2006, 01:10 PM   #149
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Hey look - Parisian people riot, again, this time they are mad about the new labour law that was passed there, denying job security to people aged 26 and younger. Those kids are pretty pissed off about it, man. Something about Parisians, they do love a good riot.

http://www.boston.com/news/world/eur...srupts_france/

Old 03-29-2006, 01:13 PM   #150
rohirrim TR

speaking of riots is L.A going nuts where you are about the immigration thing? of course in their defense I don't think that there has been any true "Riot" but 500,000 people marching is quite a sight and would disrupt traffic I shouldn't wonder.
Quote:
Old 03-29-2006, 01:15 PM   #151
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

No, there's no riots going on here! No police barracades, and mass nuttiness, and firehoses being turned onto throngs of furious twenty-somethings, and so on and so forth. If there was a march, it must have taken place in a part of east L.A. or the downtown area. You know, Los Angeles is a pretty huge city, rohirrim!

Old 03-29-2006, 01:17 PM   #152
rohirrim TR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
No, there's no riots going on here! No police barracades, and mass nuttiness, and firehoses being turned onto throngs of furious twenty-somethings, and so on and so forth. If there was a march, it must have taken place in a part of east L.A. or the downtown area. You know, Los Angeles is a pretty huge city, rohirrim!
thats true I suppose 500,000 is what? only about 25% of the city?
Quote:
Old 03-29-2006, 01:32 PM   #153
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

There are over 9 million people in Los Angeles! And that's just the amount that the census bureau can count; that doesn't include the hundreds of thousands of illegals. Like I said, rohirrim, L.A. is a very large city, and is very spread out, too. A person could live their entire life in, say, Beverly Hills, and never once make it to east L.A., or live entirely in Santa Monica and never go downtown. Or live their whole life in the San Fernando Valley, and not once make it over to Venice Beach, or whatever.

Old 03-29-2006, 01:35 PM   #154
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I read that about a million people took part in one of the France protests. And now the strikes are going on. I really wonder what's going to become of France. It really seems as though something has got to change.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:39 PM   #155
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

Springtime means strikes in France, - it's practically a tradition. :/

That said, I'm siding with the trade unions on this one. Allowing employers to dismiss new hires without cause is just wrong, imho, and won't improve France's unemployment numbers.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:40 PM   #156
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

I know, huh. Those crazy frogs! It's like the society itself is folding inward, or something. The way the government is run, it doesn't seem to be working right. Showing little cracks, like spider cracks in a glass.

Here's the L.A. protest march - yes, this is downtown L.A., see the Federal building in the background of the picture? These will be primarily immigrants, illegal as well as legal, mostly from Mexico and Central & South America, mad about the tougher anti-immigration legislation.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...home-headlines

Last edited by Lotesse : 03-29-2006 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:34 PM   #157
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasty Ent
Springtime means strikes in France, - it's practically a tradition. :/

That said, I'm siding with the trade unions on this one. Allowing employers to dismiss new hires without cause is just wrong, imho, and won't improve France's unemployment numbers.
Ditto. I am totally against this, and Youth Rates. Both are complete and utter bollocks, IMO.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:26 PM   #158
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Yeah, this totally merits a riot. If they want to stimulate their economy, they need to get their farmers of their lardy, subsidised arses instead.

Also, you've gotta realise how the media love a riot even more than the the riot police. Which means to say it is always blown out of all proportion. My folks were there while the riots were on and they only knew about it because they watched it on the telly.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 07:07 PM   #159
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Paris does have the historic roots from May '68, so riots are not so un-parisian, I think.

But I too fail to see the logic in trying to boost the hiring of young people by taking away their job security and thus opening the door wide open for abuse. Although I think the occupying and more significantly, the damaging of the Sorbonne by the rioteers was uncalled for and childish.

But then the French government doesn't have such a straight record in treating their people right. I'm still fuming about how they handled and still handle the Corsican issues.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:13 PM   #160
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
Paris does have the historic roots from May '68, so riots are not so un-parisian, I think.
Not to mention that whole French Revolution thing...

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote