Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 10:27 PM   #141
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Luthien is the greatest then, but personally, I was more impressed with Galadriel. That's only a subjective thing though, and I guess we can't just go on that.

I think we should declare Luthien Tinuviel, Galadriel, and Eowyn co-winners.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 03-05-2003, 09:21 AM   #142
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by MasterMothra
while all that you said is nice, luthien is by far the greatest of all the eldar. TOLKIEN SAID SO. here let me give you the quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who together with the greatest of all the Eldar, Lúthien Tinúviel, daughter of Elu Thingol, are the chief matter of the legends and histories of the Elves.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i earlier stated that this quote was from letter, but i was mistaken. its from volume XII of The History of Middle-earth.

luthien faced down morgoth and sauron, for love. nothing galadriel ever did could ever compare to that. i would imagine Tolkien thought the same, he put luthien's name on his wifes grave, not galadriels.
not only is luthien the greatest(most impressive) of the females, she is the greatest of ALL the eldar, including but not limited to: feanor, finrod, fingolfin, galadriel, thingol etc.
I will submit to your knowledge of this. I have not read this book yet (but I have it ordered). I did not know that JRRT put Luthien's name on his wife's grave! Thank you for sharing that.

JRRT valued deeds of love over unselfish deeds for others unknown. I value the later, which is why I put Galadriel above Luthien. You may stand with JRRT, I can stand alone on this, if I must. I find it easier to risk all for someone you know and love... but it is far more difficult and a greater deed done to risk your life for others whom are foreign to you or that you have no feelings of love for.

Do you see now why I chose Galadriel?
Old 03-05-2003, 01:33 PM   #143
MasterMothra
Elven Warrior

yes i do! galadriel was, in my opinion, the greatest of the noldor. heres a passage from UT:

Quote:
Galadriel was the greatest of the Noldor, except Fëanor maybe, though she was wiser than he, and her wisdom increased with the long years.
also in The Shibboleth of Feanor.
Quote:
These two kinsfolk [Galadriel and Feanor], the greatest of the Eldar of Valinor, were unfriends for ever.
this was tolkiens note concerning galadriel and feanor in the above mentioned quote:
Quote:
Who together with the greatest of all the Eldar, Lúthien Tinúviel, daughter of Elu Thingol, are the chief matter of the legends and histories of the Elves.
i read a topic in the barrow downs quite some time ago that put these quotes together to emphasize the importance of galadriel. i think this reflects the high degree of respect that galadriel was granted by tolkien. it is very interesting that the two greatest eldar were both women, indeed! your points are well taken Ruinel!

Last edited by MasterMothra : 03-05-2003 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:18 PM   #144
Ruinel
Banned

Thank you MasterMothra for your support. You are wise for someone so relatively young to this world.
Old 03-05-2003, 06:10 PM   #145
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Galadriel is indeed also very impressive. (Though my vote still goes to Luthien) And I think Tolkien liked her character a great deal for she appears as well in the Silmarillion and in Lord of the Rings. There are but a few who get that VIP-treatment.
Old 03-05-2003, 06:24 PM   #146
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Without reading this (lazy! shame! ) I must say it's "slim pickins"! I go for the common woman who cooked, washed and gave moral support to those near and dear to her. "A woman's work is never done". I am not impressed with "impressive"! Of course, you know the old saying, behind every great man there stands a woman, but there might be some exceptions in ME. (Gandalf for one, of course he is a super power)
Old 03-05-2003, 08:52 PM   #147
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
Without reading this (lazy! shame! ) I must say it's "slim pickins"! I go for the common woman who cooked, washed and gave moral support to those near and dear to her. "A woman's work is never done". I am not impressed with "impressive"! Of course, you know the old saying, behind every great man there stands a woman, but there might be some exceptions in ME. (Gandalf for one, of course he is a super power)
You wouldn't like me much, then. I hate to clean! The only reason I do laundry is b/c I have no more clean undies.
Old 03-05-2003, 11:49 PM   #148
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Well, the only reason I do laundry is because my husband, children, and myself would have no clean undies too! It's not that laundry is fun (right Rian!) but helping your loved ones out is fun!
Old 03-05-2003, 11:57 PM   #149
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Yeah, once you started discussing laundry, that was the first person I thought of!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-06-2003, 09:40 AM   #150
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Well, the only reason I do laundry is because my husband, children, and myself would have no clean undies too! It's not that laundry is fun (right Rian!) but helping your loved ones out is fun!
It's far more fun to get them to do their own laundry... leaving me to post at Entmoot. *lol*
Old 03-06-2003, 10:11 AM   #151
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
It's not that laundry is fun (right Rian!) but helping your loved ones out is fun!
How come everyone is thinking of R*an when laundry is mentioned ...
Old 03-06-2003, 11:26 AM   #152
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

What is this discussion about washing the laundry?
(PS: I think the females in middle-earth had much more work with this - all doing by hand.)
Old 03-06-2003, 12:03 PM   #153
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith
What is this discussion about washing the laundry?
(PS: I think the females in middle-earth had much more work with this - all doing by hand.)
Yes, perhaps... but if you look at real history (namely Middle Ages on back) then you would find that people rarely bathed, and wore their clothes over and over without cleaning them.
Old 03-07-2003, 01:51 AM   #154
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I bet Galadriel does her own laundry.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 03-07-2003, 10:54 AM   #155
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

I always wondered how the fellowship has to smell after months on a journey without an extra collection of clothes.
Old 03-07-2003, 12:22 PM   #156
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
I always wondered how the fellowship has to smell after months on a journey without an extra collection of clothes.
From my own experience (I do a bit of backpacking)... a group of people traveling on foot, with maybe one change of clothes, for a week or two, over a long distance, keeping up a good pace, and with the weather at about 75 degrees F (which is ideal, about 24 degrees C): it is quite smelly. However, if you are one of them... you don't notice it, you become immune to the stink.
Old 03-07-2003, 01:15 PM   #157
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Their hair has really to be greasy. (but we should stop that discussion, it is off-topic).
Old 03-07-2003, 04:29 PM   #158
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Their hair has really to be greasy. (but we should stop that discussion, it is off-topic).
I always put my hair in tight braids, and under a bandana (I look like a biker babe) to keep it cleaner... but yeah, it gets greasy. And yeah, we're off topic... but this is a nice way to put the literary work into real world perspectives.
Old 03-08-2003, 07:31 AM   #159
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

I tried to but this into a new thread, but SGH closed it because she said, that has already been discussed in the Middle-earth forum (off-topic).
Old 03-08-2003, 11:59 AM   #160
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
I tried to but this into a new thread, but SGH closed it because she said, that has already been discussed in the Middle-earth forum (off-topic).
Closed it... wow, how strict.

So, back to the topic then... which was: why we all thought Galadriel was the most impressive female character in ME. lol
Closed Thread