Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-24-2006, 11:39 AM   #141
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
Because I don't see the point in debating with a wall.
I had already formed conclusions for myself on this issue before entering this debate. Otherwise I would not have debated, but would only have listened. I dare say the same is true of you. No one argues if they don't already have a view, for otherwise what would they say? The view people start out with may be considered a bias, and I understand that people will always have their start-out biases when they enter a debate. So yes, I am biased now. However, I try to think carefully about every point people raise, and if what they say is beyond my current knowledge, to research them.
Quote:
If someone refuses to even consider the real-world underpinnings behind the religious attrocities of the past and the future there is nothing I can say to change that.

You can only lead a horse to water...
I have considered the real-world underpinnings you speak of, and I agree that environment is an important factor. I have never denied that.
Quote:
Simply put, everything is a factor, but environment far outweighs the purely theological.
I think this is a large generalization. While sometimes environment is very likely the most important factor, other times, religion is the very likely the most important factor. As I argued in post 49. And I've done more research this weekend, by the way. I can now cite more examples, ones that are very large scale and clearly purely religion.
Quote:
The simple fact that perfectly peaceful, yet devout muslims, exist in some parts of the world proves that it must be something other than the muslim belief that leads to violence.
Not necessarily, for the peace is a modern twist in an overall violent history, and the trend is back toward violence. It's also true that people do interpret their religions in different ways. The liberal interpretation of Islam is, I agree, far less violent than fundamentalist Islam. However, fundamentalist Islam is what the religion has been over most of the spectrum of history, fundamentalist Islam is what the religion started out as, and fundamentalist Islam is what it is more and more reverting back to.
Quote:
And the fact that christians can be very violent proves that that religious belief system does not necessarily lead to peace.
No, because it's more than one religious belief system you're looking at, more than one interpretation of Christianity, just as we're seeing more than one interpretation of Islam.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 02:59 PM   #142
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
No, because it's more than one religious belief system you're looking at, more than one interpretation of Christianity, just as we're seeing more than one interpretation of Islam.
Then the key would be to encourage the peaceful forms of islam (or christianity) and discourage the violent ones. Not the much more difficult and controversial method of asking people to toss aside the faith they grew up with in favor of a completely different one.

And since the fundamental faiths tend to be more violent (i.e. the ones who hold scripture over reality, or say that a certain scripture is reality no matter what is show to them), those should be avoided.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:03 PM   #143
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
No one argues if they don't already have a view...
Tell that to Socrates.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 03:04 PM   #144
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
Then the key would be to encourage the peaceful forms of islam (or christianity) and discourage the violent ones. Not the much more difficult and controversial method of asking people to toss aside the faith they grew up with in favor of a completely different one.

And since the fundamental faiths tend to be more violent (i.e. the ones who hold scripture over reality, or say that a certain scripture is reality no matter what is show to them), those should be avoided.

*light-bulb over head

I have an idea! Let's go back to the old days of outlawing Catholicism! And while we're at it, let's get Evangelical Christians, Eastern and Oriental Orthodox, and Orthodox Jews!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 04-24-2006, 04:51 PM   #145
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem
*light-bulb over head

I have an idea! Let's go back to the old days of outlawing Catholicism! And while we're at it, let's get Evangelical Christians, Eastern and Oriental Orthodox, and Orthodox Jews!
Just in the halls of the government. They can do whatever they like anywhere else.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:05 PM   #146
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Encouraging the more peaceful forms of Islam is one of the solutions I suggested in the strategy I offered. Considering Islam's history and modern trends, however, as well as what the doctrines themselves say, I don't think that this solution is enough on its own. It won't solve the problem.
Quote:
Just in the halls of the government. They can do whatever they like anywhere else.
Yeah, and then let's all vote for Stalin!
Quote:
Tell that to Socrates.
Actually, Socrates very definitely did have views. His argument was that one must know what one is basing one's argument on. One must know what one's assumptions are. Because the Sophists didn't have solid backing for their statements, their arguments were twigs floating on water rather than buildings founded on land.
Quote:
*Starts pointing fingers.*

It is primarily liberals who are advocating abortion (which has exterminated 40 million children in the US), and it was Hindus who invented the caste system. It was the atheist Stalin who butchered 20 million of his own people, and Communism was an atheist movement.

We should stick to the faith we believe to be true, or the nonfaith we believe to be true, unless we come to stop believing in that faith or nonfaith. We should be intellectually honest.

One thing that should be pointed out is that the amount of violence a religion causes does not make it right or wrong. If radical Islam causes a lot of violence, that doesn't mean that that perspective of Islam is incorrect. If America is the Great Satan, killing me may well be a good deed, and exterminating all Americans may also be a very good deed. However, since we don't view that religious perspective as correct, we can only resist it.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Old 04-24-2006, 06:28 PM   #147
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

"It is primarily liberals who are advocating abortion (which has exterminated 40 million children in the US)"

Many things wrong with your statement. First and foremost - fetuses aren't children. Not murder in the least. People on both sides of the spectrum support a woman's right to choose.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 09:11 PM   #148
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOBBIT
"It is primarily liberals who are advocating abortion (which has exterminated 40 million children in the US)"

Many things wrong with your statement. First and foremost - fetuses aren't children. Not murder in the least.
Responding to this would take us off topic, I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOBBIT
People on both sides of the spectrum support a woman's right to choose.
Here is the Republican Party on abortion:
Quote:
We say the unborn child has a fundamental right to life. We support a human life amendment to the Constitution and we endorse legislation that the 14th Amendment’s protections apply to unborn children. Our purpose is to have legislative and judicial protection of that right against those who perform abortions. We oppose using public revenues for abortion and will not fund organizations which advocate it. We support the appointment of judges who respect the sanctity of innocent human life.
Here is the Democratic Party on abortion:
Quote:
The Democratic Party stands behind the right of every woman to choose, consistent with Roe v. Wade, and regardless of ability to pay.
The Democratic Party is largely liberal, and the Republican Party conservative. There are of course people who don't fall into either of these large categories, however.
Quote:
You can only lead a horse to water...
Just thought I'd mention in response to this, I'm glad I'm not a horse that needs to be lead to water! I don't like being led around! Though if you provide me with convincing enough evidence that the water is in fact that way, I'll go get a drink!

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 04-24-2006 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:46 PM   #149
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Please Stay On Topic

THIS IS MUSLIMS

THERE IS A THREAD ON ABORTION SOMEWHERE

IF YOU ALL CONSIDER THAT BEFORE POSTING HERE FURTHER, WE WON'T

HAVE TO SPLIT OFF THE THREAD.

THANKS
Old 04-25-2006, 11:23 AM   #150
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
It is primarily liberals who are advocating abortion (which has exterminated 40 million children in the US),
What hobbit said.

Quote:
and it was Hindus who invented the caste system.
Another example of why fundamentalism is a bad thing.

Quote:
It was the atheist Stalin who butchered 20 million of his own people, and Communism was an atheist movement.
The issue here was more about absolute power in one individual than faith. But Stalin presented communism in much the same way as some fundamentalists present their faiths: the absolute truth. He made communism a "religion".

Thus again: fundamentalism = bad for society.

Quote:
We should stick to the faith we believe to be true, or the nonfaith we believe to be true, unless we come to stop believing in that faith or nonfaith. We should be intellectually honest.
I have no problem with that on a personal level. The issue is how you balance this with interacting with the rest of society that do not share your views. Do you see them as inferior or wrong, or do you accept that their views may be just as true as yours from their point of view?

Quote:
One thing that should be pointed out is that the amount of violence a religion causes does not make it right or wrong. If radical Islam causes a lot of violence, that doesn't mean that that perspective of Islam is incorrect. If America is the Great Satan, killing me may well be a good deed, and exterminating all Americans may also be a very good deed. However, since we don't view that religious perspective as correct, we can only resist it.
If "right and wrong" speaks to what is good for human society, then it does make a difference how much violence a certain belief system allows people to accept as justified.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:47 PM   #151
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Just in the halls of the government.
What do you mean by this, specifically?

And to be a bit more on-topic, do non-Muslims have any say in Muslim society?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 05:03 PM   #152
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
What do you mean by this, specifically?

The basic separation of church and state. No "christian", "muslim" or "jewish" states and, more importantly, no laws based on scripture alone. Sure, laws may coincide with scripture (i.e. some of the ten comandments, etc.). But they have to stand on there own ground. Just being from a holy book aint good enough, and is, in fact, irrelavant to their implementation.

To put it bluntly, every opinion under the sun can be expressed, including religious ones (even the baby eating one ), but none are endorsed or implemented purely because some book says it what "the man" wants. Prove it's a good policy in the real world and convince the rest of the population. And expect opinions to change about what is and isn't good for society as times change.

It's called democracy.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:13 PM   #153
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
The basic separation of church and state. No "christian", "muslim" or "jewish" states and, more importantly, no laws based on scripture alone. Sure, laws may coincide with scripture (i.e. some of the ten comandments, etc.). But they have to stand on there own ground. Just being from a holy book aint good enough, and is, in fact, irrelavant to their implementation.

To put it bluntly, every opinion under the sun can be expressed, including religious ones (even the baby eating one ), but none are endorsed or implemented purely because some book says it what "the man" wants. Prove it's a good policy in the real world and convince the rest of the population. And expect opinions to change about what is and isn't good for society as times change.

It's called democracy.
*sneaks in real quick, gives brownjenkins a little hug & peck on cheek, 'cause Lotsy loves the jenkins, then disappears again in swirl of black cloak*

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 07:20 PM   #154
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
What hobbit said.
What I said to him .
Quote:
Another example of why fundamentalism is a bad thing.
So you view Hinduism as a largely fundamentalist religion? In spite of their acceptance of many other religions as valid paths to God?
Quote:
The issue here was more about absolute power in one individual than faith. But Stalin presented communism in much the same way as some fundamentalists present their faiths: the absolute truth. He made communism a "religion".

Thus again: fundamentalism = bad for society.
You believe your philosophy is right, and I don't believe you'd change your mind, no matter what evidence is presented you.

The more people are convinced they're right, whether they think they're believing in "absolute truth" or not, the more they correspond in behavior and outlook to what you see as fundamentalism. What you're saying is that people should keep an open mind, correct?

However, the more people look at evidence, the more people's minds close (on any issue), because they come to conclusions based on that evidence. The only way for people to really keep an open mind is for them to not know anything. Absolute certainty can as easily come from knowledge as from ignorance, and as easily from liberalism or any other perspective as from "fundamentalism". I've seen that, so I know what I'm saying is true. The only way to avoid absolute certainty is to promote absolute ignorance.

People get 100% sure of themselves whether they have a scripture or not. I know loads of people who are non-Christians and are as absolutely sure of themselves as they would be if they based their beliefs on a fundamentalist reading of a scripture. That is why in the last couple months I've stopped blaming God for man's ignorance of him. In previous years I thought, naively, "if people only knew all the superb evidence there is about God, they would surely believe!" I still am convinced that the evidence concerning God's existence and nature is extremely strong, but now I have come to see that many, many humans will reject him no matter what.
Quote:
I have no problem with that on a personal level. The issue is how you balance this with interacting with the rest of society that do not share your views. Do you see them as inferior or wrong, or do you accept that their views may be just as true as yours from their point of view?
Of course their views are true from their point of view, or to them. That doesn't make them true in fact, however. While knowing that they think they're right, I'm perfectly justified in thinking they're wrong.

If I think that the world is sitting on the back of a giant tortoise rather than orbiting the sun, you have the right to think I'm wrong. If evidence to you suggests that I'm wrong, then think I'm wrong! Meanwhile, if the evidence I see suggests most strongly that you're wrong, I'll believe that you're wrong. We should act on what we believe to be right or wrong in society, just as we should as individuals.
Quote:
If "right and wrong" speaks to what is good for human society, then it does make a difference how much violence a certain belief system allows people to accept as justified.
This depends what you see as "good for human society." If human society is morally perverted, corrupt and doing all kinds of evil, perhaps it deserves to be destroyed. Perhaps that is right for that society, though it may not make them happy.

But right and wrong aren't dependent on what makes people happy. It might make me happy to sit at home being lazy, or greedily exploiting people in other countries for the benefit of me and my society, but does that make it right? If right is simply what works for me, nothing is right or everything is right. "Right" is meaningless, and violence is just fine.

If what is "good for human society" is your standard by which right and wrong can be distinguished, what to you is "good for human society," and why should other people think you're right in setting that standard? I am really curious.

This post belongs in the Philosophy thread . This is necessary to get into here though also, of course, for the sake of the debate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
Non-Muslims are badly suppressed minorities in modern Muslim nations. They were suppressed minorities historically too, but then Christianity was worse. Now, predominantly Christian countries aren't unjust toward their minorities, and Muslim countries have stayed the same as they ever were. This may be a generalization, but overall it is true.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 04-25-2006 at 10:10 PM.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:13 PM   #155
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
The basic separation of church and state. No "christian", "muslim" or "jewish" states and, more importantly, no laws based on scripture alone.
From your post, it sounded as though you wanted to keep all religious people out of the government.
Quote:
Sure, laws may coincide with scripture (i.e. some of the ten comandments, etc.). But they have to stand on there own ground. Just being from a holy book aint good enough, and is, in fact, irrelavant to their implementation.
There has to be an ethical standard in laws, else we are making bad laws. Many people's views on ethics come from scripture. Why should an atheist's or an agnostic's ethical perspective be favored over a religious person's ethical perspective in law? Secularism is as much a belief as religion is.
Quote:
To put it bluntly, every opinion under the sun can be expressed, including religious ones (even the baby eating one ), but none are endorsed or implemented purely because some book says it what "the man" wants.
The only way you'd be able to enforce this is by keeping all religious people from voting, for many will vote in ways determined by beliefs that stem from scripture.

Old 04-26-2006, 12:53 AM   #156
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
Actually, Socrates very definitely did have views. His argument was that one must know what one is basing one's argument on. One must know what one's assumptions are. Because the Sophists didn't have solid backing for their statements, their arguments were twigs floating on water rather than buildings founded on land.
But read his works! He's saying all the time, "I don't know. I don't have an answer to this question. I don't have any idea, all I know is you're wrong." In the Apology, he more or less said that his wisdom was his knowledge that he didn't have wisdom!

Of course, I think he was full of it; I mean, come on..."Let's just randomly make this imaginary city, and of course because a city is exactly like a rational soul, there will be exact correlation between the parts of the city and the parts of the soul." *Socrates constructs it so, and then...* "Oh, wow, it worked out! Gee, whoda thunk, huh?"

He is so full of it.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 04-26-2006, 12:55 AM   #157
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
The Democratic Party is largely liberal, and the Republican Party conservative. There are of course people who don't fall into either of these large categories, however.
Like me. I need to find a monarchist party before the next election (and no, Bush doesn't count. )

Quote:

It's called democracy.
Which inherently sucks.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle

Last edited by Gwaimir Windgem : 04-26-2006 at 12:57 AM.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:08 AM   #158
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
The more people are convinced they're right, whether they think they're believing in "absolute truth" or not, the more they correspond in behavior and outlook to what you see as fundamentalism. What you're saying is that people should keep an open mind, correct?
Yes. And the way for people to keep an open mind is to realize that they don't really know anything 100%. They must realize that truths are relative, yet at the same time interdependant, and approach human society with this in mind.

You say: "The only way for people to really keep an open mind is for them to not know anything".

Not at all. You can have all kinds of personal convictions and still have an open mind. An open mind is not about what you believe to be true. It is about what you allow and accept other people to believe as true.

Quote:
But right and wrong aren't dependent on what makes people happy. It might make me happy to sit at home being lazy, or greedily exploiting people in other countries for the benefit of me and my society, but does that make it right? If right is simply what works for me, nothing is right or everything is right. "Right" is meaningless, and violence is just fine.
"Right" is not what works for you. It is what works the best for everyone on this planet in the long term.

The problem with fundamentalists is that they do not have the ability to put themselves in other people's shoes, because the very nature of fundamentalism demands that all people wear the same shoes.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:10 AM   #159
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Which inherently sucks.
Some argue that the best form of government is a Benevolent Monarchy, which is what all religions essentially attempt to be.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:56 AM   #160
GreyMouser
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Like me. I need to find a monarchist party before the next election (and no, Bush doesn't count. )

Which inherently sucks.
Well, as Churchill said- "Democracy is the worst form of government- except for all the others"
GreyMouser is offline   Reply With Quote