Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-27-2010, 05:39 PM   #121
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

And they suggest this person as president for life?

What a good thing that there are better alternatives.

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:20 PM   #122
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I tell ya, we should have taken our chance in the Teacup, on the Ides of March...

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:32 PM   #123
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

It's never too late to hold a belated Ides!!
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:35 PM   #124
inked
Elf Lord

Clerl it is dat Hector haz de qualificatuns fur Presidant fur Lif! Und de vil to mak de hard kals. Jonadan maks an excelant caz fur Hector, no?
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:08 PM   #125
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
It's never too late to hold a belated Ides!!
Sure, until you hit the 16th.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-28-2010, 12:27 AM   #126
Midge
Faithful Gardener

So, then.. which is worse: being compared to hector or being compared to some dictator that the whole world hated, like Hitler? I was shut up in the world of quote-gaming while hector was president, so I missed out on all his tyranny. I've heard stories about Hitler's and that's all I need to know.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:49 AM   #127
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge View Post
So, then.. which is worse: being compared to hector or being compared to some dictator that the whole world hated, like Hitler? I was shut up in the world of quote-gaming while hector was president, so I missed out on all his tyranny. I've heard stories about Hitler's and that's all I need to know.
Whoa, Midge.... no one is comparing you to Hitler. Maybe I'm misinterpreting your feeling, but I'm sorry if you thought I was being aggressive, I was just teasing. There's nothing wrong with making lists.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:29 AM   #128
inked
Elf Lord

Hektor fur de Nobel Pes Priz! Den he kud be obligatory pes makr betwen Tesar und Midg! De whol wurld wud se how wunderbar Hektor iz. (Ja, he did not mak carbon dels in Copenhagen but dat iz nicht, nicht!)

Hektor fur Presidant fur Lif Entmoot und Wurld Leader!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941

Last edited by inked : 03-28-2010 at 08:30 AM. Reason: spelin
Old 03-28-2010, 10:21 AM   #129
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Cont'd

Okay, I've recuperated a bit more and feel ready to further expose Hector's schemes.

My conditions in Hector's dungeons improved over time. I bribed a guard (whose identity shall remain unknown) to bring me wine, cheese and chocolate, as well as a considerable part of Hector's CD collection. The days were actually endurable thanks to the tones of Berlioz' Symphonie fantastique and Grande messe des mortes. I also asked whether the guard could bring over some of Hector's concubines but sadly my wish was turned down. The guard did however offer me constant updates about Hector's upcoming orchestrated election. This is the intel that I received...

As has already been revealed, Hector intended to make Acalewia his marionette. This proved to be a miscalculation, since Acalewia harboured an iron-will that Hector had not anticipated. However this problem could be dealt with after Acalewia had been elected president, as more urgent matters were at hand. Out of nowhere, Midge announced her candidacy and Varnafindë quickly followed as her running mate!

Like a true mastermind, Hector had prepared for many scenarios and had elaborate plans how to counter many constellations of candidates. However the news of this dynamic duo consisting of Midge and Varna completely caught Hector off-guard! Unlike most other potential candidates, Hector had no incrementing information whatsoever on these two. The prospect of having to face them in a fair and honest election scared the living daylights out of Hector. In a desperate attempt to gain the upper hand, he haphazardly compiled a list of questions to the candidates. Yes, Hector loves lists. Soon after, Hector also revealed his being the running mate of Acalewia

Of course, the questions were constructed as to benefit Acalewia/Hector as much as possible. It was thus a major setback when Midge so quickly and elegantly addressed all the questions. Hector's subsequent swearing could be heard as far as to the dungeons where I was imprisoned.

The dungeons, yes. Next I'll tell you of my heroic escape!
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:02 PM   #130
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

OMG!!!!!! O_o *munches popcorn*

Best. Election. Ever.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:15 PM   #131
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Before I respond to these accusations of epic proportions, I must finish this long paper on Hamlet ;-)

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:23 PM   #132
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz View Post
Before I respond to these accusations of epic proportions, I must finish this long paper on Hamlet ;-)
Something is definitely rotten in the state of Entmoot
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:29 PM   #133
hectorberlioz

My Dear Fellow Mooters,

I come only to defend my name in the face of the vile accusations leveled against me by Jonathan. Not only do I deny the allegations, but I also deny the alligator. I've never seen this man in my entire life.

I can testify to not being in the vicinity of Entmoot for some days now, and thus unable to have imprisoned Jonathan in the prison. I do not deny the existence of such a prison, but I do deny having had to use it, either recently or during my reign. I've had no occasion to use that prison.

However, I am not in a position to deny Jonathan's story altogether since it contains elements of truth. I did indeed urge him to run, but not in the hopes of beating him in the election. My true motives were not pure, I assure you, but they are not the same as he levels against me.

Moreover, it is quite possible that some other person in the Entmoot Palace knows the incantation with which to open the dun---er, prison. It is plausible that the mod or admin powers wanted to frame me and thus jailed Jonathan and planted a story of me having an agenda. The allegation is untrue.

Now if you will all excuse me, I have a paper to finish about Hamlet's revenge....

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 03-28-2010, 11:31 PM   #134
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
Whoa, Midge.... no one is comparing you to Hitler. Maybe I'm misinterpreting your feeling, but I'm sorry if you thought I was being aggressive, I was just teasing. There's nothing wrong with making lists.
I'm not offended. It was the mark of exactly how lost I was that I didn't know which ruler was so fond of making lists. It coulda been Hector, or it coulda been Hitler, for all I knew.

I'm guessing Hector's tyranny (as bad as Jonathon is making it seem) is nothing compared to that of Hitler then? What about Napoleon? Or Morgoth? Was his rule worse than Morgoth's?

Incidentally, I thought surely concubines were outlawed here at the 'Moot! That seems slightly disrespectful.

P.S. I'm now feeling much more responsible for my and Varna's campaign. I had no idea that we were such an threat for Hector. If this is true, then he's a good actor, based on those emails he sent us practically BEGGING us to run.

P.P.S. After having read Hector's cross-post, I would like to point out that one does not need to be present to have someone imprisoned. There are plenty of Entmoot flunkies that Hector could be blackmailing, or last vestiges of evil still in the world which would love nothing better than to do Hector's evil will (posing as an evil Santa Claus at Christmastime, for instance). Thus, it doesn't seem implausible to me that Hector was both gone from the 'Moot and imprisoning Jonathon at the same time.

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Last edited by Midge : 03-28-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:41 PM   #135
hectorberlioz

Teacup Table Gazette Breaking Report!

We interrupt your daily life with a breaking update on what has been dubbed the "Mysterious-But-Corrupt-Candidate" scandal!

We now know that this presidential candidate wears sunglasses, a trenchcoat, and a scarve over her/his mouth. This person also a lollipop in her/his mouth at all times, frequents the Teacup Cafe regularly, and drives a bicycle.

Lock your doors at night. Keep your pets inside your home. Close the curtains, and don't forget to say your nightly prayers!

• PAGE 8: How UFO's affect your daily life. Dr. Moriarty speaks after 89 years of silence.
  • PAGE 57: Dog breath: Is it good for your immune system? 11,000 scientists say YES.
  • PAGE 70: Sassy Sas: How Co-Presidents Sasquatch of Fangorn and Nurvingiel conspired and made a deal for power. An inside source tells all.
  • PAGE 103: THE ENTMOOT PRESIDENTIAL ELECTONS: Is Midge the giant in the race? Where is Acalewia? Who is X Perry Mint? Why is has the election turned into a referendum on former President Hector's life? All this and more!
  • Is "History" real? 1,001 reasons you should doubt everything you read in a history book, and everything around you. We're just particles smashed together after all. So why am I writing this headline? Find out inside! And please buy my book.

The Da CINDY Code
~

Last edited by hectorberlioz : 03-28-2010 at 11:50 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:01 AM   #136
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge View Post
Incidentally, I thought surely concubines were outlawed here at the 'Moot! That seems slightly disrespectful.
Indeed! Who knew the Mootish power structures were so appallingly patriarchal!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-29-2010, 05:35 AM   #137
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz View Post
Not only do I deny the allegations, but I also deny the alligator.
I may be the alligator here, but you're definitely the croc! Uh, I mean the crook!
Naturally, Hector does the only sensible thing and denies the whole thing. And blaming the mods is always popular, one could see that coming from miles away

Anyway, let me continue with my story. I'm sure you're all dying to hear how I broke out from my secret prison after three weeks of being cut off entirely from the world.

Cont'd

One evening, as a token of good will and "no-hard-feelings" from Hector, my guard loosened my chains under the premise that I reminded them to put the chains back on later. A cunning plan awoke in my mind...

The plan in essence was copied from The Count of Monte Cristo and admittedly had some flaws. Not least it lacked the necessary presence of the body of a dead cell-mate. While I contemplated this problem, I simply forgot to remind the guard about my chains. While I first intended to correct this error, I hesitated for a second. I then quickly decided to discard my initial plan and just benefit from the situation. That is, I snuck out without telling anyone, haha! My avatar hints that the escape didn't go entirely without trouble though. I tripped on my shoelaces in the stairs on my way out.

And here I am, fellow Mooters, back on the messageboard that I love. I fled to bring you tidings of corruption and evildoing!

But it is strange. A resident of this wonderful city, I seem to have fallen victim to the Stockholm syndrome. I actually feel tempted to cast my vote on my former captor (well indirectly, the vote would primarily fall on Acalewia). Isn't it peculiar? Have I been brainwashed by the music of the great Berlioz?

I also can't help but wonder - could it be that my account of the terrors I've suffered at the hand of Hector, can actually improve his and Acalewia's chances? After all, might it be that all publicity is good publicity?

Did I really escape from Hector?
Or was I set loose...?
Old 03-29-2010, 06:42 PM   #138
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
The plan in essence was copied from The Count of Monte Cristo and admittedly had some flaws. Not least it lacked the necessary presence of the body of a dead cell-mate. While I contemplated this problem, I simply forgot to remind the guard about my chains. While I first intended to correct this error, I hesitated for a second. I then quickly decided to discard my initial plan and just benefit from the situation. That is, I snuck out without telling anyone, haha! My avatar hints that the escape didn't go entirely without trouble though. I tripped on my shoelaces in the stairs on my way out.
I'm reading the Count of Monte Cristo! It's a very good book. I would recommend it to anyone.

Btw, I like the signature, Jonathan.

Last edited by Midge : 03-29-2010 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:12 PM   #139
inked
Elf Lord

Ja, Jonadan, du vas set lus. Dat Hektor iz briliant, iz he not?! Das is whi he shud be Presidant fur Lif!

Zo devius iz he dat nun cud tak hiz plas.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:59 PM   #140
hectorberlioz

I'm going to make Inked my press secretary, for real

Erm, mean...Acally's and mine secretary. With her permission. I'll be right back...

PS: Don't worry Jonathan, I am formulating my responses. I must wait until my anger has cooled.

The Da CINDY Code
~

Last edited by hectorberlioz : 03-29-2010 at 11:01 PM.