Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-18-2005, 05:05 AM   #101
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
will anyone here actually care what happens in france when this all dies down and goes down the media agenda?
I find it interesting that two months ago everyone was talking about race issues in the US after Hurricane Katrina, and now France has become the focus of similar questioning. People forget very quickly and move on to the next story.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 06:17 AM   #102
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
And now for some good news from CBC (there are four links in the quoted text). It looks like the riots are dying down.
I do start to wonder a little whether there are any cars left in Paris after all these weeks.

It's good news that the riots are dying down, but I also hope the underlying issues that sparked it will also be addressed in the future. I fear they might not be.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:31 PM   #103
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Please guys, no more posts that are just joke(s), or just a quote, or just a one-liner. This is a very serious thread, and I think it's rather insulting to the people who are suffering to treat the situation that their government put them in with so little respect.

Thanks.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 01:55 PM   #104
inked
Elf Lord

Rather like the (lack of) respect for property rights the rioters are showing by burning a mere "average" of less than 100 cars per night when they aren't rioting? Or like the lack of respect the French Government has shown the rioters for 3 generations?
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 06:32 PM   #105
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

You bring up two good points Inked, but are you saying that makes it okay to bash France or whatever in this thread? Why let a lack of respect be prevalent here too?

Eärniel, I hope the underlying issues are addressed as well. (I hope the underlying environmental issues of Katrina like the levies and the damaged or destroyed barrier islands and wetlands are also addressed, not to mention the social issues the disaster highlighted.)

Jacques Chirac promised to deal with the issues. I hope voters remind him of this promise, and he acts on it. Otherwise, the same thing could happen again; issues like this don't go away by themselves (no matter how much Chirac might be wishing that right now).
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 03:17 PM   #106
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
hardly harsh .... the teasing was just about the fractions ... nothing to do with the french ... was a follow up to the last PM, was all - after rohirrim mentioned fractions there!

just a mild rib! ... a light-hearted josh

so, ...er.. back on subject ...

will anyone here actually care what happens in france when this all dies down and goes down the media agenda?

to me, this is though, endemic of what will happen more and more as tensions between muslims and western society in general are being heightened all the time it seems...

you cannot be soft ... but be too oppresive and you enflame the situation into a vicious circle ...

any easy, ready-to-go answers anyone?
alright then it was a light hearted josh...and yes im not quite sure of my fractions of ancestry..ahem thanks rohirrim...but if you guys REALLY want i'll find out and as for this france thing..i care! when it dies down i dont know whats going to happen but i can say that there might be more racism from the french..not that they aren't already being really racist. and i agree with your opinion. and for rohirrim...muslims don't drink and france is mainly wine-loving french...oh and that wont be me thankyou, see i dont like wine.

Nin o Chithaeglir, lasto beth daer:
Rimmo nin Bruinen dan in Ulaer!

REST IN PEACE GRANDMA, GREAT AUNT, GREAT UNCLE .....they're gunna fly with the angels now so say goodbye..but i can't. You don't really realize the importance of someone until they are gone
Tamuril Sirfalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 06:57 PM   #107
inked
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Rather like the (lack of) respect for property rights the rioters are showing by burning a mere "average" of less than 100 cars per night when they aren't rioting? Or like the lack of respect the French Government has shown the rioters for 3 generations?
You bring up two good points Inked, but are you saying that makes it okay to bash France or whatever in this thread? Why let a lack of respect be prevalent here too?

My point exactly, Nurv, was that this situation has two components. Neither side has a particular high ground - unless you wish to debate the morality of either's actions before a tradition of justice. But since the French gov't has been so obsequious towards Islamic viewpoints and trade (see the editorials in TIME and NEWSWEEK - I am not casting unfounded aspersions), I think they felt immune to this type of behaviour. Not a correct assumption, obviously.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 11-20-2005, 07:56 PM   #108
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I agree with that, but we can take the high ground in this thread though, that was my point. (I haven't read those Time and Newsweek articles though.)
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 11-23-2005, 07:01 PM   #109
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

heres a related article, the interview down at the bottom of the page was interesting too click here
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 08:43 PM   #110
inked
Elf Lord

interesting interview, rTR, thanks for posting it!

Eurabia - I should read that.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:06 PM   #111
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

yeah it looks interesting, i haven't found it at my library yet.
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 03:32 PM   #112
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Just a few headline items from recent news

Within a few decades Europe could be Muslim. Jaques Chirac may ban girls from wearing headscarfs at school - but we all know how effective French resistance to invasion is. There are already 5,000,000 Muslims in France.
---------------------------------------
The securalists are not having kids. Look at birthrates in the US states and Europe. It appears that give it 75 years western europe could be muslim. This could lead to serious conflicts with the US.
------------------------------------------------
Radio Holland recently reported that Islam would be the biggest single religion in Holland by 2030.
---------------------------------------------------------\
And there are others, including astrologers warnings.

France is the beginning but certainly not the end.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:35 PM   #113
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Better invade while we still can then!

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 03:38 PM   #114
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

....sigh.....
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 06:24 AM   #115
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Are you suggesting France is being invaded by Muslims Spock?
Quote:
Old 12-02-2005, 06:55 AM   #116
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
Better invade while we still can then!

yeah, we can take the states ...

remember those plucky lads from 'The Mouse that roared'!

well, where i live, the City is projected to be a BME (black ethnic or minority) Majority city by (i forget exact date) approx 2015 or so ...

it's true about birth rates ... but i think we'll westernise 'em as we always do the incoming population , if states like france don't F it all up ... (course us lot and the US maybe ain't helped short term with iraq ... but maybe mid to long term it'll be a good move?????? ... maybe??)

anyway, should be a good christmas for the french firemen ... plenty of overtime pay and time in lieu ...
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 07:05 AM   #117
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I think it is a little early for making such long-stretching predictions on matters as fickle as society and people. 2030 and 2080 are still a long way off.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:01 PM   #118
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

No it has been predicted by those fields of social sciences that deal with such things, for over three years now. Reality what a concept!
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 02:06 PM   #119
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

OMG, what will the white folks do then???
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 02:08 PM   #120
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
And there are others, including astrologers warnings.
I'd take the Muslims over the astrologers any day...
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote