Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-15-2005, 12:23 PM   #101
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

More good news! Apparently the Sunnis turned out in droves in the election, definitely binding themselves into the political process.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4531904.stm
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 02:41 PM   #102
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
As the article I just provided a link to pointed out, the Sunnis are becoming more and more fully involved in the political process.
But you are also seeing more clear cut Sunni vs. Shiite violence. Assassinations and attempted assassinations of candidates and clerics. Several recent reports of Shiite jailers torturing their mostly Sunni prisoners. That horrible assassination of 5 Shiite teachers at a school by Sunni rebels as an open act of intimidation. And various other happenings.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 08:32 PM   #103
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
But you are also seeing more clear cut Sunni vs. Shiite violence. Assassinations and attempted assassinations of candidates and clerics. Several recent reports of Shiite jailers torturing their mostly Sunni prisoners. That horrible assassination of 5 Shiite teachers at a school by Sunni rebels as an open act of intimidation. And various other happenings.
The fact that most insurgents are Sunnis does not mean that most Sunnis are insurgents.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Old 12-16-2005, 02:12 PM   #104
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Well, my response to that would be that Oxford is a very liberal place.
LOL! Point of information.... Lemme tell you, I am sitting here and if you can find a more conservative corner of England...
Quote:
Finding this poll accepted on BBC News, a very liberal paper
Oh! And another one....

On the predictions thing, let's rehearse the argument that we were having three years ago. People like me were saying "thousands of innocents will die, there are no connections with terrorism, it will actually inspire terrorists not deter them, it will destabilise the country and region, there are no WMDs, there is no threat, there is no moral case for war". Which particular prediction did I get wrong?

People like Dubya were saying whatever they needed to say to get people riled up and kill-crazy. And it was being dutifully swallowed and spewed out by "liberal" sources such as the BBC.

As for the survey, it may well be true. If I was unemployed, walking around in my own sewage, with no running water and 2 hours a day of electricity, I would probably expect things to get better.

What about the (comparatively methodologically rigorous) survey in the Lancet that put the number of civilian deaths attributable to the War at 98,000 in the first year?

Nurv makes an excellent point, in that the country is so dangerous that we can't even get reliable reports upon which to assess the situation. Are we instead supposed to trust the "sources" that gave us a relentless diet of hogwash from the illusory WMDs to the Jessica Lynch charade?
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 03:51 PM   #105
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
LOL! Point of information.... Lemme tell you, I am sitting here and if you can find a more conservative corner of England...
I emphatically disagree. My sister attends Oxford. She was quite conservative when she left us, and when she returned, she was far more liberal. This has been largely due to the people she's in contact with in Oxford, all of whom are liberal. My experience with BBC News is ongoing also. I absolutely reject your claims that BBC and Oxford are conservative . Perhaps Oxford is conservative in comparison with your more liberal upbringing?
Quote:
On the predictions thing, let's rehearse the argument that we were having three years ago. People like me were saying "thousands of innocents will die,
The argument generally ran, "The US will kill thousands of innocents," NOT "terrorists will kill thousands of innocents and the US will be responsible for that." The US killed some innocents. I don't know of any war in which innocents have not died. However, the vast majority of those thousands have been killed by enemy action rather than our action. The casualties in civilians are an enemy atrocity, and not our fault. We do have a responsibility to the people of Iraq and we are doing our best, but we are not to blame for enemy atrocities.
Quote:
there are no connections with terrorism,
I find the idea that Saddam had no connections with terrorism very unlikely. Saddam Hussein had a history of supporting terror, and he was certainly a threat.
Quote:
it will actually inspire terrorists not deter them,
If Iraq becomes a stable democracy and the US accomplishes its mission, we will have proved that we will stand against terror to both our enemies and our allies. This will be a deterant to terrorists.
Quote:
it will destabilise the country and region,
And you consider a region where Iran is making death threats against Israel, Syria is assassinating Lebanon's leaders, Egypt is brutally suppressing democratic elections, and Hamas is declaring an alliance with Iran, Christians are being brutally persecuted everywhere, and nuclear technology is proliferating from North Korea and Pakistan not already unstable? Iraq would be a part of the kingpin.
Quote:
there are no WMDs,
Both Democrats and Republicans believed there were, based on the available intelligence. It was an intelligent decision, though a mistaken one.
Quote:
there is no threat, there is no moral case for war".
If Iraq were using its resources to sponsor terror, there definitely was a case. Iraq was an oil rich country controlled by an evil regime. The fact that it was brutalizing its people, and we are seeking to bring them freedom, justifies our war effort. Even if we were not under any threat, it would be moral to intervene on the Iraqi people's behalf.
Quote:
As for the survey, it may well be true. If I was unemployed, walking around in my own sewage, with no running water and 2 hours a day of electricity, I would probably expect things to get better.
And I suppose you would be saying that things are going great for you, too.
Quote:
What about the (comparatively methodologically rigorous) survey in the Lancet that put the number of civilian deaths attributable to the War at 98,000 in the first year?
My opinion would be that those figures are pretty wild.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4525412.stm
Quote:
Nurv makes an excellent point, in that the country is so dangerous that we can't even get reliable reports upon which to assess the situation. Are we instead supposed to trust the "sources" that gave us a relentless diet of hogwash from the illusory WMDs to the Jessica Lynch charade?
I'll need to see evidence that all those news sources were arguing that there were WMDs. However, whether they were or not, that data was considered to be reliable by many high ranking officials of both parties. There was extensive intelligence data. I thoroughly read Powell's UN presentation of evidence concerning Iraq, and it was very interesting material. I have seen bias in BBC News, but so far, all the bias I've seen has been anti-conservative. Oxford is the same. This was a survey that was funded by many major news sources, and asserting that it's unreliable without evidence is weak.

Old 12-16-2005, 04:18 PM   #106
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
If Iraq were using its resources to sponsor terror, there definitely was a case. Iraq was an oil rich country controlled by an evil regime. The fact that it was brutalizing its people, and we are seeking to bring them freedom, justifies our war effort. Even if we were not under any threat, it would be moral to intervene on the Iraqi people's behalf.
Now if yer gonna use this as justification for invasion then yer gonna have quite a long list of places youll need to invade to be "moral".

Old 12-16-2005, 04:24 PM   #107
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
Now if yer gonna use this as justification for invasion then yer gonna have quite a long list of places youll need to invade to be "moral".
I would change that to saying, "you'll have quite a long list of places you CAN attack WHILE being moral."

Old 12-16-2005, 04:42 PM   #108
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

how bout "NEED to to be CONSISTANT."

Old 12-16-2005, 05:35 PM   #109
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

It's not the BBC I have a problem with, it's pretty much all journalists in Iraq right now.

Maybe journalists were reporting possible WMDs before it was discovered that the intelligence about WMDs was incorrect. Obviously no one is going to buy that now.

Ballots are being counted today! Counting under way in Iraq election

This story I can (mostly) believe because ballots will be counted in a safe area, so journalists will actually be there. (Not that I'm a little bitter about journalism in Iraq right now.)

Quote:
Although violence was low on election day, the US Marines said a mortar attack killed an Iraqi soldier and four children playing soccer in a school playground that was a polling station in the western Euphrates River valley town of Parwana. Two children were injured.
Attack from who? Insurgents? This one was phoned in.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 06:04 PM   #110
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
I emphatically disagree. My sister attends Oxford. She was quite conservative when she left us, and when she returned, she was far more liberal. This has been largely due to the people she's in contact with in Oxford, all of whom are liberal. My experience with BBC News is ongoing also. I absolutely reject your claims that BBC and Oxford are conservative . Perhaps Oxford is conservative in comparison with your more liberal upbringing?
Simply in the interest of accuracy I have to agree with The Gaffer on this one and join in finding it quite amusing... Oxford is one of the most conservative places in the UK, small- and big- c. It's far and away the most conservative university, both in its students and staff. A large student population always increases a town's liberal tendencies, but Oxford is as much an exception to this rule as it's possible to be - it has the largest student conservative organisation in Europe, for example. It may seem liberal from an American standpoint, but that's really because of the difference between the two countries' definition of the term.

In addition, I should point out that Oxford Research International is not a part of Oxford University, but an independent firm, so the point is moot (as it were )
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 06:24 PM   #111
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun-star
It may seem liberal from an American standpoint, but that's really because of the difference between the two countries' definition of the term.
I can believe that. I guess it's a matter of perspective. If most people in England are intensely liberal, and Oxford is less intensely liberal, it may look conservative to them. Meanwhile, if we in America are very conservative, and Oxford looks less conservative, it may look liberal to us. Reference frames . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun-star
In addition, I should point out that Oxford Research International is not a part of Oxford University, but an independent firm, so the point is moot (as it were )
Oh.

Old 12-16-2005, 07:08 PM   #112
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

A couple more points of information
Quote:
"The US will kill thousands of innocents," NOT "terrorists will kill thousands of innocents and the US will be responsible for that."
No, the argument ran exactly how I phrased it: the War would set in chain an unpredictable chain of events in which many people would suffer and die in the chaos that ensued. That is exactly what has happened.

If China had invaded the US with overwhelming firepower, and Americans fought a guerilla campaign to thwart attempts to normalise the situation, would you say the same?
Quote:
And you consider a region where Iran is making death threats against Israel, Syria is assassinating Lebanon's leaders, Egypt is brutally suppressing democratic elections, and Hamas is declaring an alliance with Iran, Christians are being brutally persecuted everywhere, and nuclear technology is proliferating from North Korea and Pakistan not already unstable? Iraq would be a part of the kingpin.
And the answer is to invade? Wow. A career in the diplomatic corps beckons.
Quote:
The fact that it was brutalizing its people, and we are seeking to bring them freedom, justifies our war effort. Even if we were not under any threat, it would be moral to intervene on the Iraqi people's behalf.
Aha, well you may have a point there. However, that was emphatically NOT the reason behind the War, was it? It is just all that's left by way of justification now the other fig leaves (terrorism, WMD) have been stripped away.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:31 PM   #113
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
If China had invaded the US with overwhelming firepower, and Americans fought a guerilla campaign to thwart attempts to normalise the situation, would you say the same?
I'd say that China is responsible for the killing it does, and we for the killing we do. That is the case in all wars. The situation is slightly different in Iraq, because we have a responsibility to protect some people while destroying others.
Quote:
And the answer is to invade? Wow. A career in the diplomatic corps beckons.
Invasion is not the answer to all instability. I was simply mentioning that we have not caused a great deal of instability in the region, but stability is mounting in Iraq, as more and more people become involved in the political process.
Quote:
Aha, well you may have a point there. However, that was emphatically NOT the reason behind the War, was it? It is just all that's left by way of justification now the other fig leaves (terrorism, WMD) have been stripped away.
As I said before, I find the idea that Saddam was not supporting terrorism at all highly implausible. There also is the reason of setting up democracy in the heart of the restrictive Middle East.

Old 12-16-2005, 07:33 PM   #114
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
. . . fig leaves . . . have been stripped away.

Old 12-17-2005, 02:06 AM   #115
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

70% of registered voters voted, and apparently, many also voted in insurgent dominated areas.

Old 12-19-2005, 06:29 AM   #116
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
As I said before, I find the idea that Saddam was not supporting terrorism at all highly implausible. There also is the reason of setting up democracy in the heart of the restrictive Middle East.
Implausible is not the same as proven. Why has there been no evidence presented of this? They have had long enough to find it.

But my point is that the "setting up democracy" argument was very much a post-hoc justification and not one, I think, which the American people would have supported as a sole reason for starting a war.