'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 12:26 PM   #103
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
What about an informal mentoring system? How hard could it be to teach a few basic rules and netiquette behaviors to a few people who just dont get it. Theres plenty of people here who know the ropes. They would probably make great "moot mentors". And theres a real small list of potential mentees from what I can tell. I mean most of the younger set seems to be on top of things 90% of the time and yet they have begun to stress because the older mooters have been grumbling out loud a lot now about the spammers and babblers. And thats a shame because they are the ones that are recognizing that there may be a problem and worried that whatever they say now is a spam. and we dont want to discourage them. But then there are the completely clueless ones who I think could be brought up to a higher level with a little one on one buddy system advice time. So.... any volunteers? Or should we just continue grumbling about it?
Not for me I'm afraid......let the newbies suffer the derision and ridicule, thoughen's 'em up

*Sgt Coney, signing off*

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 12:29 PM   #104
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
Not for me I'm afraid......let the newbies suffer the derision and ridicule, thoughen's 'em up

*Sgt Coney, signing off*
But me thinks theres just a few who are so far outside the curve that they dont even realize they are being derided and ridiculed so its not doing any good. In fact its stressing the little ones who do have half a clue so if anything its back firing.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 12:36 PM   #105
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
But me thinks theres just a few who are so far outside the curve that they dont even realize they are being derided and ridiculed so its not doing any good. In fact its stressing the little ones who do have half a clue so if anything its back firing.
This is true......it's not like the old days (when I was just a lurker), in those days they used to set Darth Tater on em

Seriously tho', good luck with the mentoring idea

Beatallica
Old 03-03-2003, 12:40 PM   #106
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Well I feel bad "snarking" on clueless people (as Television Without Pity members do-I lurk there occaisonly) largely because many are young and clueless and so can't be expected to handle such ribbing (good natured as it may be) and besides with I'm no admin so I feel out of place to go-"another remarkably stupid post!" or "read the FAQ you lazy bugger!" etc.
Old 03-03-2003, 05:14 PM   #107
Elvedans
Diamond Of The Night Sky

I dont particularly warm to manner in which the newbies and younger members are spoken about as though they were another species. "Young" does not mean "thick" and "new" does not mean "immature" or "unknowledgeable".
Elvedans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 05:52 PM   #108
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvedans
I dont particularly warm to manner in which the newbies and younger members are spoken about as though they were another species. "Young" does not mean "thick" and "new" does not mean "immature" or "unknowledgeable".
Elvedans, I hardly think anyone here thinks that of you. And as so many people have stated youth doesnt mean clueless. And old doesnt mean having a clue. At all. And what are you 15? 16? And you are a perfectly fine contributing poster of good quality (in my opinion). Really it just seems to be a very small number of people who are the focus of the issue. Hey maybe as a "youth" youd like to volunteer to be a mentor to one yourself? Since you are such a good contributor and all....

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 05:55 PM   #109
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
And old doesnt mean having a clue.
I can testify the truth of this statement

Hell, I'm living proof of this

Beatallica
Old 03-03-2003, 10:34 PM   #110
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

well, i know im not talking about all of the newbies. just a few, not to name any names... (cou-legolasluvr-gh)

im just putting my compliants in about the ones who are happily flouncing in their blissful little worlds... totally unaware of us... making fun of them.
Old 03-06-2003, 05:17 PM   #111
Elvedans
Diamond Of The Night Sky

OK i now understand your point of view peopleses and am sorry for my outburst. Deary-me i must learn to control this dreadful temper of mine! Though i must agree that there are a few annoying posters out there.
Elvedans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 11:08 PM   #112
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

Oh, can/do I get a mentor?
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 05:40 PM   #113
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I think if some of the pointless general messages threads like "The previous poster", "The anything post", "The funny word thread" and "The truth or lie thread" were eliminated, entmoot wouldn't be in danger of turning into the Jr High School lunch room!

Last edited by Lizra : 03-09-2003 at 05:50 PM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 06:24 PM   #114
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

To quote Swamp King from MP and the Holy Grail:

"Oh, I can understand that!"

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 07:17 PM   #115
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
I think if some of the pointless general messages threads like "The previous poster", "The anything post", "The funny word thread" and "The truth or lie thread" were eliminated, entmoot wouldn't be in danger of turning into the Jr High School lunch room!
But if those threads are deleted, then all of the things that people want to say, or tell people, then they can say those things in those threads. If those threads were deleted, then no one would have any were to say them and some people might just put it in any thread.
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 07:29 PM   #116
Lady_of_the_Golden_Wood
The Precious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizra
They are in general you know.
But I do agree that if you only go on the general forum... You should find another site. I, personally think that Entmoot is fine. So many people like those threads, just look at how many posts are on the anything post. And also, there are some even more pointless threads, that have been padlocked. Shall I mention the 'How to use the search button thread'? No offense Legolaslvr!. Like say the many fangirl threads conveinetly located in the RPG forum. Soon, there's going to be a fangirl forum.

Again, they are in general.
but words are meaningless
in your absence.
Lady_of_the_Golden_Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 08:03 PM   #117
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I'm seeing Comic Book Guy in a whole new light!
Old 03-09-2003, 08:55 PM   #118
Lady_of_the_Golden_Wood
The Precious

I know this is off subject, but, do Comic Book Guy and Sister Golden Hair make forums?
but words are meaningless
in your absence.
Lady_of_the_Golden_Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 09:09 PM   #119
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Well, I'll attempt to explain, but I am no expert.

No, SGH and CBG do not make forums. Entmoot, as a whole, is a forum. It was "made" (created) by Bmilder, (Ben) a nice young man (young to me, not you probably! ). Ben will post occasionally, but he's a busy guy. (Hobbit is his brother, he is a moderator). SGH, Azalea, Khamul, Earniel, Crickhollow, Mathron, hama, gdl 96, anduin, Iron Parrot, and Fat Middle are moderators, (some are "super moderators"!) and help Ben with his forum by reading posts and keeping an eye on things. Have you read the f.a.q. section (look up at the right hand top. click on it!). Some people might be administrators, I'm not sure of their duties. Comic Book Guy was a moderator, but stepped down recently. This is all I know, I am but a "regular"
Old 03-10-2003, 12:12 AM   #120
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady_of_the_Golden_Wood
I know this is off subject, but, do Comic Book Guy and Sister Golden Hair make forums?
I have no idea what is going on with the forum leaders link at the bottom of the main index, but it use to tell you what everyone on the staff did. Anyway, no, CBG and I did not make forums as Lizra said. The board is owned by Ben and he has aquired people to function in certian positions to help keep the board running smoothly. When I joined the staff with CBG, we were classed as super-mods. There are different classifications. There are (moderators) These are people that oversee a particular forum only. Earniel and Mathron are moderators of RPG, but they only have power there. They do not have access to the moderator forum. Then you have (super-moderators) These are moderators that are in charge of a particular forum, but have power all over the board to close threads, edit, and delete posts, etc. Lastly you have (administrators)These are the top dogs of the staff. They are the only ones that have access to the main control panel. Also they can do everything a super-mod does, but they can overturn decisions made by other non-admin staff members. That doesn't ever happen often though, because the staff is pretty much agreeable on matters, and when we are not, we discuss it.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote