Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-31-2005, 07:08 PM   #101
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer
You realize that 'Self-Effacing' and 'Arrogant' are Antonyms, right? So you're generalizing that Americans are both Modest and Arrogant?
Good point Wayfarer - didn't catch that one. Seems like some people are an "let's bash America" kick again though.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 07:09 PM   #102
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
Funny.
glad i can amuse!

Quote:
You quoted me - you directed your damn post at me. If you were making a general statement - then just ask without quoting. It's simple to do. Also- you were not asking people who were outside the US what the state capitals were. Thius is what you posted...
like i have already said. i quoted you as you were asking a similar question

Quote:
Quote:
i can find most american states, can you find, easily, devon, or somerset? or more specifically - Taunton Deane? or Sedgmoor?, not so easy on our country!!

this question goes to anyone outside UK, BTW
So where in there are you asking about US states and for people outside the US to answer. You seem to be comparing US states to the shires of England.
i wasn't comparing, but if you want me to, then by all that i hold dear, i can compare many things, tho the somparisons may not be accurate. also, read the last line in my quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
this question goes to anyone outside UK'
Quote:
As for not hearing anyone say shires - when I was in england - I heard many people reafer to them as shires - I never heard of anyone refer to them as counties (even though I knew and know they are the same). I was in Leicetershire.
a) leicestershire - note the 's'
b) i have yet to meet anyone, in any part of the country, and trust me i am well travelled in this little isle, who refers to the counties as shires, which is what i said, i didn't say that no-one did refer to them as such, but if that's what you want to infer from me, hey it's your choice, dude
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 07:13 PM   #103
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

The two counties (I have always heard them called that but maybe it depends where you go) that you named Chrys, I can find easily! They are among about five that I can find. But you have to admit, UK geography is more confusing than Canadian geography. I counted about 30 counties, but London city (1 square mile) and many other major cities like Birmingham and Edinburgh seem to have their own counties... are those actual counties?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 01-31-2005 at 07:16 PM.
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 07:13 PM   #104
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Good point Wayfarer - didn't catch that one. Seems like some people are an "let's bash America" kick again though.
my point mentioned, by being both self-effacing and arrogant, that many americans that i have met seemed to be in two minds, all of the time

and how many more times, man, not the whole world is against you continually, just take what i say in the context it is meant, trust to me that i never speak in an underlying subtext, i am always straight up with what i say, dude, as i would hope that most people are, though many are obviously not
Old 01-31-2005, 07:17 PM   #105
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Moving my edit so it follows Chrys's post...

EDIT:
As for Taunton Deane and Sedgmoor... mapquest.com.

I similarly challenge anyone at all to find Medicine Hat and Port Hawkesbury.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 01-31-2005, 07:17 PM   #106
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
The two counties (I have always heard them called that but maybe it depends where you go) that you named Chrys, I can find easily! They are among about five that I can find. But you have to admit, UK geography is more confusing than Canadian geography. I counted about 30 counties, but London city (1 square mile) and many other major cities like Birmingham and Edinburgh seem to have their own counties... are those actual counties?
they are either Metropolitan Districts, or Seperate Boroughs,
greater london, for instance, has many counties, such as essex, middlesex, surrey, that push into it, so you could say that you could live in 2 counties at exactly the same time birmingham is usually referred to as a city in the West Midlands, for instance, whilst the Borough of Swindon could be referred to as such, but also you can have Swindon as a town in Wilts. (s. signifies shire)
Old 01-31-2005, 07:19 PM   #107
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

O.o

Yeahh... we just have provinces or territories with cities in them...

That is cool though.

Don't forget my fun challenge of fun! *points above*

I'll stop double posting with you now...
Quote:
Old 01-31-2005, 07:23 PM   #108
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Moving my edit so it follows Chrys's post...

EDIT:
As for Taunton Deane and Sedgmoor... mapquest.com.

I similarly challenge anyone at all to find Medicine Hat and Port Hawkesbury.
whilst i get my maps out
can you find, without mapquest Llandudno (town), Cheriton Fitzpaine (village), or Shrops. (county)? thats slightly harder than devon or somerset, methinks
Old 01-31-2005, 07:27 PM   #109
jerseydevil

LCoU -

You were the one who quoted ME and made it as if your response was directed at me. You are the one that is being an ass about the damn shires - when both shires and counties are used. As for Leicestershire - I'm so sorry for mistyping. I used to have to write the damn towns name all the time because that was where Colorgraphic was located. I had routine dealings with the place - not to mention for years my father went there every month.

As for your last line in your quote - that can just mean that you are opening the question up to anyone. The exclamation points and arrogance was plainly directed at me though. You quoted my post and responded with this "not so easy on our country!!" By the way - it's "in" not on. If we're going to start picking apart grammar and spelling to be asses - I guess I'll do the same thing. I shouldn't really stoop down to your level though with that.

Oh - I forgot the dude - dude.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 01-31-2005, 07:27 PM   #110
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I can find Llandudno! I actually do know roughly where it is, even if the "ll" wasn't a dead giveaway it's located in Wales.

Given a detailed enough map I would eventually find Cheriton Fitzpaine and Shrops.

To be fair Medicine Hat is a city in western Canada, and Port Hawkesbury is a town in the Maritimes. Since we're so huge I thought I'd narrow it down for you a bit there.
Quote:
Old 01-31-2005, 07:27 PM   #111
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

medicine hat is in alberta
Old 01-31-2005, 07:29 PM   #112
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Yeah, nice work.

Hey, is this a good thread for such geographical quizzes as...

Name the last province to join Confederation (aka join Canada).
Bonnus: When?

Or should we move along to the historical trivia thread? (Though that's hardly trivial... to Canadians anyway).
Quote:
Old 01-31-2005, 07:30 PM   #113
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

whilst port hawkesbury is from the home of the smallest KCGB recognised breed of Retriever - The Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever!
Old 01-31-2005, 07:34 PM   #114
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Well colour me impressed - and the town is in Nova Scotia too.

I suspect that generally people from other countries know a lot about Canada (considering that they don't live there). About 1 in 5 Swedes I've met have actually been as well, and many to BC. ^_^
Quote:
Old 01-31-2005, 07:36 PM   #115
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
LCoU -

You were the one who quoted ME and made it as if your response was directed at me. You are the one that is being an ass about the damn shires - when both shires and counties are used. As for Leicestershire - I'm so sorry for mistyping. I used to have to write the damn towns name all the time because that was where Colorgraphic was located. I had routine dealings with the place - not to mention for years my father went there every month.

As for your last line in your quote - that can just mean that you are opening the question up to anyone. The exclamation points and arrogance was plainly directed at me though. You quoted my post and responded with this "not so easy on our country!!" By the way - it's "in" not on. If we're going to start picking apart grammar and spelling to be asses - I guess I'll do the same thing. I shouldn't really stoop down to your level though with that.
sorry, i have a problem wih the phrasing that i use, the question was directed to anyone, and like i say, i know of not one person that says 'shires' as opposed to using the term of county, but never mind, as, like i have already said, i do not doubt that some people do say shires, just i have yet to meet any, and the 'not so easy in our country' means just that, no snide undertone, just that the divisions and regios are harder to find in the UK, just because it is so much smaller than the US, that's really it, no need to get paranoid, man
Quote:
Oh - I forgot the dude - dude.
sorry, if you'd rather i didnt call you dude, then thats fine, it is just i am beginning to type in the manner in which i speak, and as i call everyone dude, i have begun also to do so here, but if you'd rather i didn't thats fine by me, man
Old 01-31-2005, 08:51 PM   #116
Mercutio

Quote:
Yeah, nice work.

Hey, is this a good thread for such geographical quizzes as...

Name the last province to join Confederation (aka join Canada).
Bonnus: When
Nunavut? And 1998 or 1999 or something like that.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 09:19 PM   #117
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
sorry, i have a problem wih the phrasing that i use, the question was directed to anyone, and like i say, i know of not one person that says 'shires' as opposed to using the term of county, but never mind, as, like i have already said, i do not doubt that some people do say shires, just i have yet to meet any, and the 'not so easy in our country' means just that, no snide undertone, just that the divisions and regios are harder to find in the UK, just because it is so much smaller than the US, that's really it, no need to get paranoid, man
It's fine. I don't really care anymore. I relooked at it and maybe you did just innocently mean that no one knows where somerset is in england and stuff. But then - as I pointed out - that would be like me complaining that no one knows where Middlesex or Sussex or Somerset is in New Jersey. People not knowing the states of the US is like not knowing the states of the EU though.
Quote:
sorry, if you'd rather i didnt call you dude, then thats fine, it is just i am beginning to type in the manner in which i speak, and as i call everyone dude, i have begun also to do so here, but if you'd rather i didn't thats fine by me, man
I don't really mind if you say dude or not - just as long as you're not doing it to be condescending. Anyway - I'm not feeling well and I should just lay down. Which is what I was doing when I decided to come back here and post and say I've decided to give you the benefit of the doubt on your post and take you at your word. You've explained what yoiu meant and I'll accept. Case closed.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 01-31-2005 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:25 AM   #118
Draken
Elf Lord

Quote:
In the 70s some major cities and industrual areas were made into self-contained metropolitan counties. This was because it was becoming difficult to balance (say) running both the big Yorkshire cities and the rural parts of the county in the same organisation. Also, London had by then sprawled across several county borders. So the industrial cities of Yorkshire were split off from the rest of the county and became West Yorkshire, Manchester (which was in Lancashire) became Greater Manchester, Birmingham and nearby towns became West Midlands, London became Greater London, etc. In the 80s, the Londoners insistence on electing fairly radical Labour local politicians led to the Conservative government abolishing the GLC and breaking down the city into 33 (I think) separate bourough councils. Realising this is a crap way to run a city, an overall Mayor of London post was established - and the guy who won was the radical Labour politician who had been in charge of the GLC!

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 07:48 AM   #119
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

yay ken livingstone!
Old 02-01-2005, 08:24 AM   #120
Draken
Elf Lord

Anyone see the 'Comic Strip's' take on what a Hollywood version of the end of the GLC would have been like? Very good, and with a Kate Bush soundtrack too.

Not as good as 'Strike' though which (trying to keep on subject!) nicely parodied Hollywood's views on world geography - Yorkshire to Westminster in an hour, by motorbike as I recall.

Still not a patch on 'Robin Hood prince of Thieves' though - from Dover to Nottingham, via Hadrian's Wall for some reason, in a day. On foot.

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote