FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-05-2000, 11:06 PM   #101
Johnny Lurker

Full Nelson's pretty good.

*Note to self: Don't do reviews before you're done listening to the CD*
Old 10-06-2000, 08:42 AM   #102
Fat middle

Re: Indeed.

Elanor don't you play the cello? i wonder how haven't you listed Haydn between all those classical compossers. his two cello concertos are between my faves

btw, i've just finished listening a mp3 of Handel's largo from Xerxes. Supernatural but i rather like his organ concertos. well, i'll stop now. i'm seeing this could be too long
Old 10-06-2000, 12:47 PM   #103
Eruve

I'm just getting around to reading this thread. You all have quite a mix of musical taste. Here's what I like:

Classical:
Mozart, Bach, Glazounov, Tchaikovsky

Classic rock:
just about anything. I wouldn't have made it through high school without The Who's "Quadrophenia" album. I love them, the Beatles, Led Zep, Yes... I have a soft spot for Lynyrd Skynyrd, too.

80's alternative:
Discovered this at university when I first started going with my husband. The Cure, the Smiths, old REM, Simple Minds, Aztec Camera, the Cult for "She Sells Sanctuary". My favourite is U2 up to and including "The Joshua Tree" album, after that they lost me. Heard a recent song by them that seems to be going back to their roots, though.

Recent (relatively speaking):
I'm not so into the screaming and shouting. I liked Pearl Jam in the early 90s. Like the Smashing Pumpkins and Alanis Morrissette's first album.
Old 10-07-2000, 04:28 AM   #104
Elanor

yes, I do play the cello, though I've been slacking off a bit recently...I was mentioning just a few of my favorite composers. I like Haydn too, and many others.
Old 01-23-2001, 12:54 AM   #105
Johnny Lurker

Just thought I'd resurrect this wonderful thread.

A few new faves...

Cult - She Sells Sanctuary, primarily for the trip factor.
[minus]/Pressure 4-5/Spiritfall/Sevendust/Finger Eleven/Whoever wrote "Idle".
Candlebox - Happy Pills... it reminds me a lot of Rush.
The Offspring - Come Out Swinging, which is currently my favorite song on their new CD. Not quite up to the caliber of Americana et al, but... still some quality plastic.
Cake - Sheep Go To Heaven, almost ska but so much groovier.

And, to top it all off...

War - Lowrider. The car song to end all car songs. Yes, over Rollin' (Airraid mix) by Limp Bizkit, over Radar Love by Golden Earring, over No Brakes or Bad Habit by The Offspring, or Open Hand by Project 86. It's got 'em all beat. Period.

I think this song will eternally hold that title.
Old 01-23-2001, 02:39 AM   #106
gdl96

Re: Favorite Music

I'll check out some of that.
Old 01-23-2001, 04:03 AM   #107
Johnny Lurker

Another addendum...

ZAO - The End Of His World, taking the prize for the most dumbfounding vocal effect I've ever heard without augmentation.
Tourniquet - It's like old Metallica, but... not.
Smalltown Poets - 100 Billion Watts was recommended to me by a friend, and it's quite an unique experience.
The Echoing Green - Hide gets a cite for not having gotten any less novel since I first heard it.
The Offspring - Dammit, I Changed Again, is another notable track on Conspiracy of One.

And finally, Mixmaster Mike's introduction for the Beastie Boys at the start of the Sydney 2000 concert and the rather heated rendition of Gratitude during said concert score points... just because.
Old 02-07-2001, 06:21 AM   #108
arynetrek

Re: Another addendum...

heard Blind Guardian a few days ago...

good stuff...

aryne *
Old 02-09-2001, 05:18 PM   #109
Miralys

Re: Another addendum...

Heck yeah. I like Blind Guardian. It's different from what I usually listen to but it's good. Even if my room mate does have a different opinion! :lol:
Old 02-09-2001, 10:56 PM   #110
Johnny Lurker

A few bands I've gotten into recently...

Blindside - Only heard one song (As You Walk), but it's quite catchy.
Extol - Scandanavian Christian grindcore with tasteful use of strings. It doesn't get any better than this.
Eminem - His hate and whining gets tiring, but Stan's disturbing in a whole different way. Listen to it, ESPECIALLY if you don't like him.
Gonemad - Same deal as Blindside (the one song is Sorry...)
Linkin Park - They're a lot better than One Step Closer (the song and the music vid) would suggest.

Hmmm... nothing else comes to mind.
Old 02-10-2001, 08:31 PM   #111
dunedain lady

Re: A few bands I've gotten into recently...

My favorite music is classical, especially Mozart, Saint-Saens, most Russian composers, and Grieg. I also adore Celtic music, especially bagpipe and Irish fiddle. I do like some punk music, especially that I Want to be Sedated song. (Given some people I hang around with, I sorta grew to like punk out of self-defense. Same with bagpipe--my sister plays the thing.)
Old 11-09-2001, 01:58 PM   #112
Varda
Elven Warrior

sowwwy to tater who had to close the other thread i started w.o noticing the existence of this one... anyways in answer the question

jazz/blues--> louis armstrong, duke ellington, otis redding, bessie smith, ella fitzgerald and i really like the songs "sittin on the dock 'o the bay" by otis redding as well as the song "baby, it's cold outside" (not sure who originated the latter)

rock--> aerosmith (their old stuff), some rolling stones, faith no more, nirvana, some pearl jam, metallica, guns 'n roses....

'60s--> Beatles!, Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, Simon&Garfunkel (I also like Paul Simon now), Grateful DEAd, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Marley, Joni mitchell(someone told me once i look like her but with dark hair.... i don't see it)

more modern stuff--> fiona apple, that new depeche mode song "dream on", natalie imbruglia, (s0me) enya, sarah mclaughlin, melissa ethridge, eric clapton, beck, that song kryptonite by 3doorsdown (i know it's a silly song by a trendy band, but i like it... so sue me!)... yeah... other stuff..
Old 11-10-2001, 01:04 AM   #113
anduin
Entwife

I think he was meaning the thread like this in the entertainment forum. So I guess your thread would have been number 3.

We like a lot of the same music. I am a big fan of jazz. Louie and Ella are some of my faves along with Cab Calloway, Louis Prima, Brandford....

The Beatles are my all time favorite band and influenced my love of 60's and folk music. Simon and Garfunkel is my second favorite band and Paul Simon's Graceland is IMO one of the greatest albums ever made....right next to Peter Gabriel's Passion (The soundtrack for the movie, The Last Temptation of Christ.

As for more current music...Blues Traveler, Beck, Weezer, Enya, XTC, Howling Maggie....

Oh and any bluegrass.....I mean, I AM from Kentucky.
anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 11:32 PM   #114
miss_poet
Enting

OMG?!?!??!!!! 1999!!!! Booyah!!!! In your face Rex! I found one from 1999!!!!!! Sorry Rex and I were trying to see if we could find a 2000 post and I found even better!!! HAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways, my favorite types of music are rap, christian, and folk. Maybe a little pop? I like christain music only, though. I am a christian so...I like the feel of rap so I like christian rap and christian folk. I will stop bringing up new threads now if it makes you happy, SGH

EDIT: I also like classical music! I play violin
As I look into the sky and sit and watch the stars I think of you. I wonder if you remember me the way I was or the way I am now. I know I will always keep a place for you in my heart. Even though the shadows fall and the darkness enters you will always be with me. I remember one thing about you. Your eyes. I used to look in them like pools of blue water. I could stare at them forever like the dark blue sky on a cloudy night. As I sit here still watching the stars I think of you, but the one thing I remember is your eyes.
miss_poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 11:44 PM   #115
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by miss_poet
OMG?!?!??!!!! 1999!!!! Booyah!!!! In your face Rex! I found one from 1999!!!!!! Sorry Rex and I were trying to see if we could find a 2000 post and I found even better!!! HAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!
uh oh looks like i created a monster. *stuffing miss_poet back in her bag*

Im guessing this thread predated the Entertainment forum.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 11:46 PM   #116
miss_poet
Enting

"WAIT! NOO! DON'T PUT ME AWAY!!!"

So, Rex, what are your favorite types of music?
As I look into the sky and sit and watch the stars I think of you. I wonder if you remember me the way I was or the way I am now. I know I will always keep a place for you in my heart. Even though the shadows fall and the darkness enters you will always be with me. I remember one thing about you. Your eyes. I used to look in them like pools of blue water. I could stare at them forever like the dark blue sky on a cloudy night. As I sit here still watching the stars I think of you, but the one thing I remember is your eyes.
miss_poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 11:50 PM   #117
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Well poet.... I love lots of different kinds of music. pretty much anything BUT country or pop or rap really. but there are exception there too. But im thinkin there are a couple threads in the entertainment forum you might want to check out to further explore this topic.

hang on ill go find the threads and post them here.....

try this one and this one

Last edited by Insidious Rex : 05-14-2003 at 11:56 PM.
Old 05-14-2003, 11:54 PM   #118
Macka
Hobbit

My favorite would have to be Christian music. The Elms is a Christian music group too. I also like DC Talk, Newsboys, Kutless, ect. .
In God we trust, In God we trust
The people of the nation let me hear you give a holler
We stamp it on our penny, nickel, dime, quarter, dollar
In God we trust, In God we trust"

~Pillar "Indivisible"
Macka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 11:57 PM   #119
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

I dont really understand the point of defining music by a religion. i mean even gospel is called "gospel". you know what you are getting. but christian music doesnt really mean anything. theres so many variaties.

Old 05-15-2003, 12:05 AM   #120
Macka
Hobbit

I know there are many varieties, but when songs are based around Christianity and it is rock then it is nominated as "Christian". When chores and things like that are used for singing about Christianity then it is called "Gospel".
The people of the nation let me hear you give a holler
We stamp it on our penny, nickel, dime, quarter, dollar
In God we trust, In God we trust"

~Pillar "Indivisible"
Macka is offline   Reply With Quote