Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-30-2005, 06:29 PM   #81
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
I don't knwo where they are either. IN school we always had to know where the states were and work with maps. I had maps hanging up in my room all the time though - I always needed to know where places were. I still have a hard time believing that 25% number though. I knwo hardly anyone can find NJ on a map though.
i can find most american states, can you find, easily, devon, or somerset? or more specifically - Taunton Deane? or Sedgmoor?, not so easy on our country!!

this question goes to anyone outside UK, BTW
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 06:39 PM   #82
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio
That's sort of like the U.S. schools teach, except
-Oceania is just called Australia
-C. America is split between N & S (Mexico = N, other stuff = S)

did you read the rest of the thread? It's quite interesting at some points.
read all of thread, now

verrry 'interesting'!!
Old 01-30-2005, 07:50 PM   #83
The Wizard from Milan
Elven Warrior

I am European

Continents:
Europe (first)
Asia
Africa
Oceania
North America
South America
Antartica
The Wizard from Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 08:08 PM   #84
Mercutio

When I had U.S. geography in elementary school we had to learn all the states/location and their capital city. I def. still know the states, and almost all of the capitals (meaning one or two may slip my mind). Last year in Western Civ we had to do the same for Europe. I probably know about 1/2 or a little more capitals, and most country locations (tho the Balkan countries and the Baltic countries do confuse me).

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 08:15 PM   #85
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

i'll start a thread, name the capitals!!

if that's ok by mods n admins
Old 01-30-2005, 08:24 PM   #86
Mercutio

Good quizes: http://www.ilike2learn.com/ilike2lea...ecapitals.html

that one goes to the capitals of Europe on a map. The top of the site has links to countries or capitals of all continents.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 08:38 PM   #87
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio
Good quizes: http://www.ilike2learn.com/ilike2lea...ecapitals.html

that one goes to the capitals of Europe on a map. The top of the site has links to countries or capitals of all continents.
thats a brilliant site
i got all european ones right,
but i keep getting some of the smaller african nations mixed up, like guinea and guinea-bissau and so on
Old 01-31-2005, 10:57 AM   #88
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Hey, lets not forget "the undying lands".
Old 01-31-2005, 06:02 PM   #89
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
i can find most american states, can you find, easily, devon, or somerset? or more specifically - Taunton Deane? or Sedgmoor?, not so easy on our country!!
I know where somerset and devon is - but they don't compare to US states. they're more similar to our counties. Can you find out counties on the map? If you want to play this game - thn do something that is comparable. European states to US States is comparable - the English Shires and towns are not equivalent to our states.

For your information - I used to have a ton of maps in my room hanging up when I was in high school - including the UK and Europe, along with Africa, Asia, the world and yes - the United States. So I am familiar with England - I also studied a lot of it's history. How much US history have you studied and how many times have you been here?

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 01-31-2005 at 06:13 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 06:20 PM   #90
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

i have studied ancient american history, the colonisation of the new world, the cold war, as well as more general world history.

i have been to america twice, but most people seemed self-effacing, and arrogant, bit of a vast generalisation, but that's just personal experience

and btw, we never say shires, except in a political sense, ie when a party (usually the right-wing tory morons) say they have 'support in the shires', which doesn't refer to counties, but to rural areas in general
Old 01-31-2005, 06:23 PM   #91
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

oh and americans have a lot of common history with europeans, whereas europeans have had a lot of history not in common with the americas
Old 01-31-2005, 06:29 PM   #92
Embladyne
Honourary Elitist Inklette

Quote:
oh and americans have a lot of common history with europeans, whereas europeans have had a lot of history not in common with the americas
Erm...I'm not up for arguing right now...but if you're speaking about the nation as a whole, well, then...maybe.

However, speaking about people individually, there are so many people in the U.S. and Canada and Mexico that don't have any European background. There is a lot in the Americas that has nothing to do with Europe, and never did.

What I think you're geting at is that Europe's participation in world politics is much longer, and that much of the Americas were colonized by European countries.

My DA page
Embladyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 06:34 PM   #93
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embladyne
Erm...I'm not up for arguing right now...but if you're speaking about the nation as a whole, well, then...maybe.

However, speaking about people individually, there are so many people in the U.S. and Canada and Mexico that don't have any European background. There is a lot in the Americas that has nothing to do with Europe, and never did.

What I think you're geting at is that Europe's participation in world politics is much longer, and that much of the Americas were colonized by European countries.
yes that's what i am getting at, not peoples, i am not very good at the phrasing i use
Old 01-31-2005, 06:34 PM   #94
jerseydevil

Quote:
i have studied ancient american history, the colonisation of the new world, the cold war, as well as more general world history.
Ancient American history - huh? Since American history didn't start until the colonization of the western hemisphere - that's sort of funny. But I guess you mean the history of the mohawk, lenape and cree, and other indian tribes.
Quote:
i have been to america twice, but most people seemed self-effacing, and arrogant, bit of a vast generalisation, but that's just personal experience
I kno what you mean - when I went to england I found the english to be bit snobbish and too into the "class society" and stuck up. But I'm sure it wasn't everyone.
Quote:
and btw, we never say shires, except in a political sense, ie when a party (usually the right-wing tory morons) say they have 'support in the shires', which doesn't refer to counties, but to rural areas in general
They're still referred to as shires though. And regardless - are NOT comparable to us states. But I suppose this is just you having a bug up your ass and wanting to get into an argument.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 01-31-2005 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:36 PM   #95
jerseydevil

Quote:
America has a lot of history with the world period - not just Europe. We have accepted people from all over the world who have influenced our society. We do have a background of history with europe - but our common history ended in 1776. We are very different from europeans. Something Europeans seem to have a hard time realizing.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 01-31-2005 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:39 PM   #96
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Ancient American history - huh? Since American history didn't start until the colonization of the western hemisphere - that's sort of funny. But I guess you mean the history of the mohawk, lenape and cree, and other indian tribes.

I kno what you mean - when I went to england I found the english to be bit snobbish and too into the "class society" and stuck up. But I'm sure it wasn't everyone.

They're still referred to as shires though. And regardless - are NOT comparable to us states. But I suppose this is just you having a bug up your ass and wanting to get into an argument.
i know of no-one that refers to the counties as 'shires', but there must be someone, i suppose,

'bug up my ass'? i dont have a donkey, let alone wanting to shove a beetle into one of it's orifices

and i dont want to get into any arguement, my question wasn't even aimed at you, yours just happened to be a post i found, which asked if those outside of the USA knew specific details pertaining to states/capitals etc, my question was aimed at anyone in particular

you need to loosen up, dude, the whole world aint against you, nor less wanting to start argueing with your good self
Old 01-31-2005, 06:40 PM   #97
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
America has a lot of history with the world period - not just Europe. We have accepted people from all over the world who have influenced our society. We do have a background of history with europe - but our common history ended in 1776. We are very different from europeans. Something Europeans seem to have a hard time realizing.
that is what that was referring to, we happen to agree on this one small point read my last post!
Old 01-31-2005, 06:45 PM   #98
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
...I have been to america twice, but most people seemed self-effacing, and arrogant...
Umm...

You realize that 'Self-Effacing' and 'Arrogant' are Antonyms, right? So you're generalizing that Americans are both Modest and Arrogant?

That's actually been my experience (as an American). People alternate frequently between Humility and Hubris. That's just human nature.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:02 PM   #99
jerseydevil

Quote:
i know of no-one that refers to the counties as 'shires', but there must be someone, i suppose,

'bug up my ass'? i dont have a donkey, let alone wanting to shove a beetle into one of it's orifices
Funny.
Quote:
and i dont want to get into any arguement, my question wasn't even aimed at you, yours just happened to be a post i found, which asked if those outside of the USA knew specific details pertaining to states/capitals etc, my question was aimed at anyone in particular

you need to loosen up, dude, the whole world aint against you, nor less wanting to start argueing with your good self
You quoted me - you directed your damn post at me. If you were making a general statement - then just ask without quoting. It's simple to do. This is what you posted after quoting ME...

Quote:

this question goes to anyone outside UK, BTW
You seem to be comparing US states to the shires of England.

As for not hearing anyone say shires - when I was in england - I heard many people reafer to them as shires - I never heard of anyone refer to them as counties (even though I knew and know they are the same). I was in Leicetershire.

BTW - I wouldn't have even have noticed your damn post - but someone told me that you directed a post to me - so it wasn't only me that felt you were directing your attitude toward me.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 01-31-2005 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:07 PM   #100
jerseydevil

Quote:
that is what that was referring to, we happen to agree on this one small point read my last post!
We share the same amount of history - colonial america. That is all we share.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide