Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 12:57 AM   #81
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Sorry, SGH, but being, as we all know (but JD won't admit ) halfwitted, I never have figured out your opinion on the war. How do you stand?
If you go through past posts - you'll see how SGH feels I think.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-31-2003, 01:01 AM   #82
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney

who's defending what? I thought the discussion was about opinion polls and media coverage of the invasion.
Looks like the admin disagrees.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-31-2003, 01:02 AM   #83
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Looks like the admin disagrees.
*shrugs* So what's new?

Beatallica
Old 03-31-2003, 02:10 AM   #84
Baby-K
Corruptor

Quote:
WOW - we actually agree on something in an "iraq" thread. The world will end now.
Ah damn & I have nothing to wear....

Quote:
One of the big shocks here was when a couple of our ships left for the Gulf...........normally when our lads and lasses leave for battle (falklands, bosnia etc) there are thousands at the docks cheering them off........all there was this time was crying wives, mothers etc.
I never could understand why people would stand on the docks cheering people on who are underway to meet their (possible) deaths. Ok, so they cheer to show support & wish them well - but to be so damned cheery about it, like someone has just scored in a football match or summin is weird IMO.

Perhaps this ('uncheering' crowd) is an indication of the true feelings of the people of the country?
Old 03-31-2003, 06:25 AM   #85
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
WOW - we actually agree on something in an "iraq" thread. The world will end now.
Hey, I agreed with that as well. Is hell frozen yet?
Old 03-31-2003, 08:39 PM   #86
Phooka
Hobbit

Since this is about the media over Iraq...

Did you hear about the NBC (MSNBC AND The other NBC owned network) reporter who did an interview for the Iraqi's? He devulged military tactics...

The government should seriously consider charging him for treason. (IMHO)
Old 03-31-2003, 09:17 PM   #87
Mirahzi
Elf Lord

What could there be to divulge about US military tactics? Perhaps the use of tactics and specific locations, but general tactics aren't a gigantic secret. I would think Iraqi commanders would have at least a rudimentary knowledge of their opponents.
Old 06-16-2003, 10:54 AM   #88
gimli-son-of-gloin13
Elven Warrior

Now this is a thread I could get into. This country sucks and I can't wait to get out of here!

Do you have any personality disorders, click here and see!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://public.findlaw.com/states_new.html

Find your rights as a student!
Old 06-16-2003, 01:14 PM   #89
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Have a nice trip to whatever rock you land on. Adios!

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 06-16-2003, 02:12 PM   #90
Ruinel
Banned

There are no laws, no chains, no threat of death nor of harm to keep you or anyone from leaving this land. You are free to go and come as you will. May you find happiness in another land.

Seriously, though, if I were to live anywhere else, it would be Canada (preferrably Quebec).
Old 06-16-2003, 03:33 PM   #91
jerseydevil

I've lived in other states and been to other countries - I'll stay in America and New Jersey - thank you.

Remeber - the grass is always greener on the OTHER side (until you get there and see all it's weeds up close too).

As for leaving - as Ruinel said - people are free to go. Not so like in China, North Korea (where they even get jailed for running away to China) the old Soviet Union. It is really disturbing how bad North Korea must be if people are risking their lives to run to China.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 06-16-2003, 05:24 PM   #92
Anglorfin
Alasailon

I just don't like the idea of boycotting to gain support. If they don't want to support us then there is no problem with that. The type of boycotting LT is talking about strikes me as just plain bullying. If you are going to boycott something do it for a better reason than trying to force your opinion on another nation, whose opinions matter as equally as yours.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Old 06-16-2003, 05:42 PM   #93
Ruinel
Banned

I think people can speak with their money. If they do not like what a country does, they can boycot the products from that country. Someone pointed out about the products manufactured at sweat shops, and I boycot those products.
Old 06-17-2003, 12:47 PM   #94
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
I think people can speak with their money. If they do not like what a country does, they can boycot the products from that country. Someone pointed out about the products manufactured at sweat shops, and I boycot those products.
Boycotting sweat shop products I would agree with, because it's trying to stop the practice. But if you boycott the products of a country, it's the people that suffer as well as the government. I don't really see why French wine makers (for example) should suffer because of their government's policies. Maybe it's just my minimal understanding of economics, but it seems unfair to me

And about the other thing - I think it's pretty obvious that the US is not a "pit"
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.

Last edited by sun-star : 06-17-2003 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-17-2003, 01:26 PM   #95
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by sun-star
...But if you boycott the products of a country, it's the people that suffer as well as the government....

And about the other thing - I think it's pretty obvious that the US is not a "pit"
What I'm trying to say is that if an individual finds what France (the governement or even the people) says or does to be offensive, then the individual has the right to boycott products from that country.

However, I would be HIGHLY upset if my own government called a boycott against France and made French products illegal in the U.S., as Cuban products are now. *sips her French wine and nibbles on her French cheese and bagette*

And thank you for the "the US is not a 'pit'" statement. I don't think so either.
Old 06-17-2003, 02:07 PM   #96
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
What I'm trying to say is that if an individual finds what France (the governement or even the people) says or does to be offensive, then the individual has the right to boycott products from that country.

So in this case Americans would be offended because France and Germany don't agree with them. Well no matter who you are there will always be a difference in opinion so we should just deal with it as is, boycotting is nothing but bullying in this instance.

It wouldn't even be similar to the instance of boycotting in Cuba. Where America chose not to support the regime of Castro because they felt that his policies towards his own people were horrible. This is boycotting because not everyone is bending over like the US wants them to. I find that disgusting.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Old 06-17-2003, 03:38 PM   #97
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Anglorfin
So in this case Americans would be offended because France and Germany don't agree with them. Well no matter who you are there will always be a difference in opinion so we should just deal with it as is, boycotting is nothing but bullying in this instance.
Do you rise up in outrage at the many times France and Germany has boycotted our products because they don't like something? They are always boycotting American stuff - just not very successfully.
Quote:

This is boycotting because not everyone is bending over like the US wants them to. I find that disgusting.
It's not because France disagrees with us - it's because Chirac went out of his way to railroad the US. If you looked at the things Chirac had done, his tantrums in European meetings, his threats to the Eastern countries, maybe you would understand that it goes beyong just not agreeing. Germany didn't agree - we didn't boycott all their products - actually there was hardly any calls to boycott Germany - nor was anyone calling on boycotting Russian products. Chirac and France was different - and they've never had any problems boycotting OUR products.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 06-17-2003, 04:11 PM   #98
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Quote:
Do you rise up in outrage at the many times France and Germany has boycotted our products because they don't like something? They are always boycotting American stuff - just not very successfully.

It's not because France disagrees with us - it's because Chirac went out of his way to railroad the US. If you looked at the things Chirac had done, his tantrums in European meetings, his threats to the Eastern countries, maybe you would understand that it goes beyong just not agreeing. Germany didn't agree - we didn't boycott all their products - actually there was hardly any calls to boycott Germany - nor was anyone calling on boycotting Russian products. Chirac and France was different - and they've never had any problems boycotting OUR products.

What makes you think I wouldn't rise up in outrage? Boycotting with the sole intent of changing opinion by economic force is wrong in my eyes. Though it can be easily overlooked because the US can just shrug off a boycott of goods like it was nothing more than a mosquito bite. If we boycotted France it would be justified, but not solely for the reason that they have different opinions. But after all they have been boycotting us for years.

Mostly I am referring to the specific lines in LT's first post,
Quote:
today in the paper someone suggsted that since france and germany don't support us, that we should boycott all of thier products
The sole issue here is whether or not a country is supporting us, not whether they're Prime Minister is a baby or whether they have snubbed us a few times. Just because a country is not behind us is not grounds for boycotting.

Old 06-17-2003, 04:34 PM   #99
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Anglorfin
What makes you think I wouldn't rise up in outrage? Boycotting with the sole intent of changing opinion by economic force is wrong in my eyes. Though it can be easily overlooked because the US can just shrug off a boycott of goods like it was nothing more than a mosquito bite.
The US can just ignore it - but the companies it is aimed at can't a lot of times nor can the workers it goes against.
Quote:

If we boycotted France it would be justified, but not solely for the reason that they have different opinions. But after all they have been boycotting us for years.

The sole issue here is whether or not a country is supporting us, not whether they're Prime Minister is a baby or whether they have snubbed us a few times. Just because a country is not behind us is not grounds for boycotting.
I agree - we shouldn't boycott a country for just not agreeing with us - which we have never done. Even under these latest circumstances - it wasn't just that France didn't agree with us. The boycotts are working though - especially the lack of American Tourists going to France.

It was on the news about how France is now having "how to be nice to American" classes and they've come here to show tourist companies that France really does love Americans. France has lost 25% in tourism dollars because Americans have stopped going and they're hurting (which is a larger drop off in American tourism than other European countries). They even have signs around Paris reminding people to smile. So maybe something good will come out of the boycotts for them and teach them how to be nice - instead of a$$holes all the time.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 06-18-2003, 03:44 AM   #100
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Quote:
So maybe something good will come out of the boycotts for them and teach them how to be nice - instead of a$$holes all the time.
They are quite rude, it's not just a stereotype. My aunt and uncle have gone there on a few occasions as well as one of my friends and they all said that France is very uninviting and has a "nose-in-the-air-look-the-other-way" attitude.

Closed Thread