Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-26-2003, 12:51 PM   #81
Elven Archer
Elven Warrior

If you don't want it to grow up and be like you, then try to change so you'll be someone you'd want your kid to be like.

Don't know if any peternal insticts kick in. Although yesterday i was watching a TV show,and there was a girl on there about to have a baby but she didn't know anything about babies or what to do,so she was really worried and wanted her mom to help her out. Anyway my mom said something like "that's the same way i was." But she's did a pretty good job raising 5 kids so maybe a peternal instinct does kick in.

Good luck with it though!
Old 02-27-2003, 06:15 AM   #82
Baby-K
Corruptor

Hi Sween, congratulations with your engagement as well as the soon-to-be birth of your baby, hope you and Vita (it is Vita isn't it?) are extremely happy.

Don't worry about any paternal instincts, they sort themselves out once the young one is there. No amount of mental prep could ever prepare you for the actual event, it's quite scary but at the same time the best thing ever. You will be amazed how such a small being could so totally control you with their cries, laughter & even poopy nappies.

It's a very daunting prospect, 'cos you always wonder if you're doing the right thing (I doubt if that ever goes away, no matter how old you get or how many kids you have). But rest assured that your best will always be enough for your kids.

When the kid is old enough you can take him / her along to the pub - no better place to learn about the facts of life
Old 02-27-2003, 07:47 AM   #83
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Yeah, Just try to sober up and the rest will just happen. (Hangovers, no matter how small, do not go well with babies, ugh! )

Think of your new baby as your golden opportunity to "get it together" personally. You now have an excuse to stay home, watch the tube, read, take naps and eat good food. If your wife decides she wants to get back into shape, you both can incorporate exercise (another healthy and "fun" good habit) into the "new" routine! Follow your wife's lead, she is the one who is going to go through some MAJOR changes, as soon as the baby comes. Don't let a few "freak outs" scare you.

Going from a child (you and her) to a parent so quickly will be a little strange, but it will happen. (everyone who has a child goes through it, as you said yourself, way back when, You'll be fine!) Each mother has her own style, I am one to not let babies cry. If they cry, I pick them up and rock them. Is she going to nurse the baby? This is an important decision. If she is, get one of those "Rocker/glider chairs. They are great for comfortable rocking, feeding and easing babies (and mommies) back to sleep.
Please, get some newborn pacifiers. If YOU don't know what you're doing, the baby will at least know how to sooth itself by sucking on a pacifier (while mom or dad sits in the glider, rocking it and loving it! )

The first six weeks, just give it up! The baby will want to eat and sleep constantly (not at the same time you do, just go with the baby and relax!) If she is nursing, just tell her to unbutton her shirt and leave it that way! If you are doing bottles, I'm not sure how that works. You'll soon be changing enough diapers to get the hang of it, try not to let the baby get diaper rash! I always tried to get a change in before feeding and rocking, as a newborn infant usually falls alseep during the feed/rock (yea! ) and you don't want to worry about waking him back up to change his diaper after you finally get him to sleep! Just go with the flow, and quit drinking! PM me if you want more boring advice. Cheers, an orange juice to you!
Old 02-27-2003, 08:08 AM   #84
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Hey Sween, there's a pint of something cold to help ya through the early days

Seriously tho'.....yer'll miss the pub, but it'll be worth it

Hmm....my one peice of advice?

Buy flowers.........buy 3 bunches of flowers every week.

One bunch for the future Mrs Sween (because her hormones will be flying around like a Mr Sween in the pub during Happy Hour).

And a bunch each for you Mum and future Mum-in-law (because when Sween jnr starts teething you're gonna need a babysitter, if only for the chance for you and Mrs Sween to get some sleep).

As for the rest.....relax, talk to people who are in the know (Like Lizra and others here, yer mum and dad will be a vital source of info as well).

Beatallica

Last edited by Coney : 02-27-2003 at 08:10 AM.
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 10:41 AM   #85
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
Hey Sween, there's a pint of something cold to help ya through the early days

Seriously tho'.....yer'll miss the pub, but it'll be worth it

Hmm....my one peice of advice?

Buy flowers.........buy 3 bunches of flowers every week.

One bunch for the future Mrs Sween (because her hormones will be flying around like a Mr Sween in the pub during Happy Hour).

And a bunch each for you Mum and future Mum-in-law (because when Sween jnr starts teething you're gonna need a babysitter, if only for the chance for you and Mrs Sween to get some sleep).

As for the rest.....relax, talk to people who are in the know (Like Lizra and others here, yer mum and dad will be a vital source of info as well).
beer how i will miss it lol in all seriousness ive pretty much given up the drink have more important things to be on with. good call on the flowers. My basic plan was to be there 100% for vita and the baby esspecially vita as well its hard on you women isnt it. ive got to be the one that does all the *****y jobs and does not complain me thinks
Old 02-27-2003, 12:29 PM   #86
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Yes, The mothers, (soon to be grandmothers) will become VERY important to your wife. (Someone I can leave the baby with and not worry) Start "buttering them up" now!
Old 02-27-2003, 03:03 PM   #87
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
Yes, The mothers, (soon to be grandmothers) will become VERY important to your wife. (Someone I can leave the baby with and not worry) Start "buttering them up" now!
allready done
Old 02-27-2003, 11:59 PM   #88
azalea
Long lost mooter

I'm so excited for you! I think you'll do a good job because the fact that you're worried means you actually care, which is the most important thing. My advice is Don't Give Up! It will be very hard at first, and you'll wonder why you shouldn't just get in the car, drive to the airport and take the next plane to Fiji (not that I ever had any thoughts like that ). But think of it as a long-term challenge. Your own personal fellowship, as it were. But instead of throwing an evil ring into a fiery pit, your task is to raise a happy, healthy, well-rounded individual that will be kind to others. The way you accomplish this is not important -- that's where the instinct comes in -- just follow your heart, and keep communicating w/ Vita. Moms do have some instincts as far as child-rearing goes, but don't be afraid to do things your own way. Dads are VERY important!!!!x9999 Discipline as calmly as you can (when the child is older).
Oh, and expect NO sleep for the first month. I'm not exaggerating. Take up either mother's offer of free babysitting, you will have a new appreciation for them both when you get to leave the baby with someone you trust completely and have a break. Enjoy the wild ride!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 09:31 AM   #89
Legolas_Frodo_Aragorn
The Elven Queen Of All Pyros

Location: Im like a little bug stuck in the lamp...never going anywhere
congrads sween! Good luck on raising your child...but you know what they say...like father like son....or like mother like daughter.
Im sure it will be hard for a while...but just remember that it will get better when your baby cries at 3:00 in the morning........

Procrastinators Unite!!!.....tomorrrow....

Kids in backseats cause accidents...accidents in backseats cause kids

As long as there are tests..there will be prayers in school
Legolas_Frodo_Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 09:34 AM   #90
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

Blech. Babies. Disgusting. Children. Disgusting. I am a child lol, but I would never wanna have kids. The little aliens all look the same. They just mooch your money off of you.

ummm I guess if babies are your thing, congrats.

heh don't listen to meee....
Old 02-28-2003, 10:32 AM   #91
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by Legolas_Frodo_Aragorn
congrads sween! Good luck on raising your child...but you know what they say...like father like son....or like mother like daughter.
Im sure it will be hard for a while...but just remember that it will get better when your baby cries at 3:00 in the morning........
well its a little girl so hey hey not like me thats a good thing ! hopeing she likes footie and beer thou
Old 03-02-2003, 04:28 PM   #92
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
well its a little girl so hey hey not like me thats a good thing ! hopeing she likes footie and beer thou
A drunk 1 week old? Hmmm...

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 06:21 PM   #93
Legolaslvr!
Super Smilie Freak

Location: In the entmoot army, trying to get rid of black and blue!
yeah!
Oh well good luck sween!

The fat hobbit hobbit knows!
Legolaslvr! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 07:16 PM   #94
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Re: im going to be a daddy!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
im going to be a father im so pleased .

any advice for me?
You are soooo doomed!
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 07:42 PM   #95
Elenka
The Negative Soul of Entmoot

That's the spirit!!

War doesn't determine who is right - war determines who is left.
Elenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 07:53 PM   #96
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

Congrats Sween and good luck!
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 12:23 AM   #97
Lady_of_the_Golden_Wood
The Precious

Um...
but words are meaningless
in your absence.
Lady_of_the_Golden_Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 04:22 AM   #98
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Re: Re: im going to be a daddy!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
You are soooo doomed!
OMG, if you're doomed with just one kid, what then with 3?
You just relax Sween, you're going to be fine. But beware, your daughter will soon charm you to the point where you'll do everything that she want You know, girls ...

Last edited by Artanis : 03-03-2003 at 04:27 AM.
Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 12:16 PM   #99
Sween
im quite stupid

Re: Re: Re: im going to be a daddy!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
OMG, if you're doomed with just one kid, what then with 3?
You just relax Sween, you're going to be fine. But beware, your daughter will soon charm you to the point where you'll do everything that she want You know, girls ...
behind this sexiest pig exterior lies the heart of a true softie!

to the person that said i was doomed ur wrong im gonna be great cannot wait till the birth now.....the other half on the other hand is dreading it
Old 03-03-2003, 01:51 PM   #100
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Are you going to be there when your gf gives birth?