Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-29-2004, 12:09 PM   #81
Beruthiel's cat
mystical divinity of Unashamed Felinity

Location: New York's beautiful North Coast -- we're all mad here!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Sono
Only one of my friends have cat. I'm stay often by her ^^

At the time, I able to have a own cat, my hamster and guniea pig are gone... I'm only 14

What kind of cats do you like?
I like all kinds of cats. I have loved cats since I was a little girl. My parents gave me a cat as a birthday gift when I was five years old and I've had cats for pets ever since.

Right now, I only have one cat, but I have had as many as twelve at one time.

You are doing very well at English. The more you read, the more you will learn. Remember that the people who post here are using conversational English. Conversational English is what we use when we speak to other people and it is full of phrases that have informal meanings that may not translate literally. When people like Tolkien write books, the English is more formal and more literal, so it is easier to translate.

Also, English is a hard language to spell because it borrows words from so many other languages. So people who post here may spell a word wrong and not realize it. That might make it harder for you to understand, too.

But don't worry. I think you are doing very well. There are many people here who will help you with your English. Don't be afraid to ask about words or phrases you don't understand. Someone will be happy to explain them to you!

It is nice to have you here at Entmoot and I hope you will stay around for a long time!

"Never try to out-stubborn a cat!" -- R. Heinlein

~~~~~~~~~

"But I don't want to be among mad people, " Alice remarked.
"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~~ Lewis Carroll

~~~~~~~~~~~

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...
Beruthiel's cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 02:26 PM   #82
Sono
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Beruthiel's cat
I like all kinds of cats. I have loved cats since I was a little girl. My parents gave me a cat as a birthday gift when I was five years old and I've had cats for pets ever since.

Right now, I only have one cat, but I have had as many as twelve at one time.

You are doing very well at English. The more you read, the more you will learn. Remember that the people who post here are using conversational English. Conversational English is what we use when we speak to other people and it is full of phrases that have informal meanings that may not translate literally. When people like Tolkien write books, the English is more formal and more literal, so it is easier to translate.

Also, English is a hard language to spell because it borrows words from so many other languages. So people who post here may spell a word wrong and not realize it. That might make it harder for you to understand, too.

But don't worry. I think you are doing very well. There are many people here who will help you with your English. Don't be afraid to ask about words or phrases you don't understand. Someone will be happy to explain them to you!

It is nice to have you here at Entmoot and I hope you will stay around for a long time!
Twelve cats?
Oh, that must be wonderful
I'm lucky if I only hab one cat
But twelve cats are a lot of work, too.....

You are nice! Thanks for the compliment!
I love to speak english ^^
My teacher ask me, how I become so good in english. I told her that I on an english Tolkien board

I like to spent my time here.
And all User are very friendly to my, too ^^

I must say, its very difficuld to understand the postings at this page! At school we never learn this words! And I must know. I'm the besst student in my english class...
But I try

Wenn Sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf. Genauer gesagt, auf der schmalen Linie zwischen Wahnsinn und Panik. Gleich um die Ecke von Todesangst nicht weit von Irrwitz und Idiotie.
Sono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 03:07 PM   #83
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Darn you all! Now I want a cat .

I've actually kind of wanted one for a while now... Okay, I admit it. I was seven years old: We were at the pound looking for our first dog.

In this big wire cage thing were two ADORABLE little kittens. So cute, so snuggly looking...

But no one else in my family likes cats, and my father and oldest sister are both fairly allergic to them, so I can never have a cat because then I'd never get to visit my family .

No wait...

*runs off to buy a cat*

But really, I'd kind of like to have a cat, but then I honestly couldn't see my family. Plus if I DO become a priest, having cat hair all over me would be terrible .
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 03:20 PM   #84
Beruthiel's cat

Quote:
Originally posted by Tessar
Darn you all! Now I want a cat .

I've actually kind of wanted one for a while now... Okay, I admit it. I was seven years old: We were at the pound looking for our first dog.

In this big wire cage thing were two ADORABLE little kittens. So cute, so snuggly looking...

But no one else in my family likes cats, and my father and oldest sister are both fairly allergic to them, so I can never have a cat because then I'd never get to visit my family .

No wait...

*runs off to buy a cat*

But really, I'd kind of like to have a cat, but then I honestly couldn't see my family. Plus if I DO become a priest, having cat hair all over me would be terrible .
Don't worry about the cat hair, Tessar. Most people are fairly forgiving when it comes to fur, especially if they have pets of their own. And there are a number of good pet hair remover brushes and sticky things you can use on your clothes -- not the cat!!! (I know what you're thinking before you even think it...) to remove the inevitable fuzz.

If you look at writers (Mark Twain), musicians (Hector Berlioz -- not our Hector -- the other one...) and other artists (Renoir, Steinlen) throughout history, you will see that many of them were cat-lovers. Cat haters, on the other hand, tend to be dictators (Mussolini) and psycho/sociopaths (Hitler). (These people were not ambivalent about cats -- they outright hated them!!). I believe there is a direct connection between cats and the creative process.

So if you want a cat at some later date, go for it. They are very interesting and lively companions.

~~~~~~~~~

"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 06-29-2004, 03:32 PM   #85
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Every cat has his or her unique quirks, don't you think?
Yup. I once knew a cat who had an overwhelming fear of carpet. He'd do anything humanly possible to avoid touching it, and in order to cross the room, he'd jump from one piece of furniture to the next, until he could safely touch tiles, lino, or floorboards. Nutty cat. And my manx used to like sitting on people, and "cuddling" them, by stretching her two forelegs up around their necks. Used to enchant all the visitors when this giant fat manx used to jump on visitors, stretch her legs around their necks, and drool all over their chins.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:25 PM   #86
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by Tessar
http://nekothekitty.keenspace.com/d/20030604.html

Oh man, this had me laughing soooo hard...
LOL!

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 04:44 PM   #87
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
I used to have a cat who preferred her water fresh from the tap and we always had to leave a tiny stream running from the bathroom faucet to keep her happy. Another cat used to dip her paw into the water dish and lick the water from the paw in order to get a drink.
Ours are much more accomodating on that field. They get a bowl of fresh water every day but most of the time they just ignore it. Afterall, why drink from a bowl when you've got nice tasty water right outside in the ponds? But Jinx has this most adorable way of sticking his front paw in the watering-can that stands in my room and then licking his paw dry. So cute!
Old 06-30-2004, 09:46 AM   #88
Beruthiel's cat

I've really had some quirky cats. The same cat that that would lick water from her paw (like Earniel's cat) also was a vegetarian wannabe...she loved leafy green vegetables to the point that I couldn't make a salad in peace. She had to have the lettuce -- would even steal the lettuce if I wasn't looking. She also loved fresh herbs like chives, mint, basil and parsley.

The same cat also detested people food except for canned tuna, cheese and home-made chicken soup. She was so picky that she would only eat cat food manufactured by Purina and if we opened a new bag of the same food she had been eating, she refused to believe it was the same food and would let it sit in the dish for two days before she'd even try it.

She also knew what a camera was and played to it like a model every time we took pictures.

Her name was Paisley and she was probably the most eccentric and colorful cat I've ever had!

~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by Beruthiel's cat : 06-30-2004 at 09:47 AM.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:20 AM   #89
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Aww cute BC.

I've always loved cats and always had at least one in my life.

My current cat Thomasina is a sweetheart. Any lap she can find will be her bed for as long as possible (either that or our shoes) and she'll lick us after we've pet her. She's also hilarious and will have these bursts of energy when she'll go racing through the house and knock down anything in her path. So when suddenly we hear crashes somewhere in the house we think "Oh, that's just Thom again." She also play likes to play the piano.

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 03:35 PM   #90
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

BC, no one can say cats don't have personalities after that!

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 03:48 PM   #91
Beruthiel's cat

You're so right, Ner! I've had cats that were laid-back and relaxed, cats that were afraid of their own shadows, cats that loved being around people and cats that wouldn't give you the time of day. And I've loved them all!!

~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~