Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 02:16 PM   #841
Empress_Flynn
Elf Lord

Hey... there's one good thing about Palin being the Republican VP candidate: SNL has funny skits again!

"Even a mirror will not show you yourself, if you do not wish to see."

"But remember... clowns make two things around here: balloon animals... and enemies."

"If I loved you then I would love you in any way I could, and if we could not touch, then I would draw strength from your beauty... And if I went blind, I would fill my soul with the sound of your voice and the contents of your thoughts until the last spark of my love for you lit the shabby darkness of my dying mind."

Old 09-28-2008, 03:18 PM   #842
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
You know, I had an inkling after reading some quotes from interviews and I was wondering whether she really was just rambling some confusing stuff while completely avoiding the question, or whether I had missed some important different aspect of American politics... It's somewhat assuring to learn it wasn't just me.
Palin is turning out to be well practiced at b***s*** answers to questions she finds difficult, which includes questions she ought to have been anticipating and researching. She's handing material to shows like SNL on a silver platter.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 09-29-2008, 08:05 AM   #843
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

All I'm going to say is that it's a very important election and I hope everyone in the US thinks about it seriously before casting their vote.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:26 AM   #844
Empress_Flynn
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
All I'm going to say is that it's a very important election and I hope everyone in the US thinks about it seriously before casting their vote.
And I hope people vote in general.... the US doesn't have the best track record as far as voter turnout goes...

"But remember... clowns make two things around here: balloon animals... and enemies."

"If I loved you then I would love you in any way I could, and if we could not touch, then I would draw strength from your beauty... And if I went blind, I would fill my soul with the sound of your voice and the contents of your thoughts until the last spark of my love for you lit the shabby darkness of my dying mind."

Old 09-29-2008, 10:56 AM   #845
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress_Flynn View Post
And I hope people vote in general.... the US doesn't have the best track record as far as voter turnout goes...
Have you voted, yet?

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 09-29-2008, 11:49 AM   #846
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

Well I sure am happy The McCain campaign is on the defensive in every single battleground state. They've already lost the competitive edge in Iowa and Colorado. Michigan is slipping away. And Obama is leading in the latest poll of polls in Virginia. It's so nice, finally, after eight years of watching depressive US politics, to see the light in the end of the tunnel.

My bet: Obama wins on Election Night with 300+ (He only needs 270) Electoral Votes.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:52 AM   #847
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Wow, you're way too optimistic. . .

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 09-29-2008, 12:00 PM   #848
Zilbanne
Enting

Well the race is close. I'd like Obama. I don't think McCain is all that terrible as a person. He is a good guy but we need a change from republican politics. Too many people are suffering for lack of health care and the housing crisis. I don't think republicans will address that.

I've been sent letters from a few people I know of who have worked with Obama personally. They have said he is a very good listener. Based on how his campaign has been run I think he will be able to reach people to get things done.

Obama and McCain cowrote an anti nuclear proliferation bill and got it passed. Sorry if someone has already posted that info but it's important to realize even they have worked together for the good of everyone.

Last edited by Zilbanne : 09-29-2008 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Quick spelling mistakes
Old 09-29-2008, 01:08 PM   #849
Coffeehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufin View Post
Wow, you're way too optimistic. . .
Hehe naw, that's just optimisim

Let's take a look at some of the numbers:

Granted that the leaning states, for example 5.4% in favor of Obama in Colorado and 6.6% in favor of Obama in Michigan stays, then for all purposes
only the toss-up states are up for grabs:

State: Obama McCain Status 04' Election 00' Election
Ohio(20) 45.1 46.3 McCain +1.2 Bush +2.1 Bush +3.5
Florida(27) 46.0 47.6 McCain +1.6 Bush +5.0 Bush +0.1
Nevada(5) 45.3 47.0 McCain +1.7 Bush +2.6 Bush +3.5
New Hm(4) 46.7 45.4 Obama +1.3 Kerry +1.3 Bush +1.3
Virginia(13) 48.0 46.2 Obama +1.8 Bush +8.2 Bush +8.1
North C(15) 46.8 46.5 Obama +0.3 Bush +12.4 Bush +12.8
Wisc(10) 48.2 44.4 Obama +3.8 Kerry +0.4 Gore +0.2
Pennsyl(21) 48.5 43.7 Obama +4.8 Kerry +2.5 Gore +4.2
Minne (10) 48.0 45.2 Obama +2.8 Kerry +3.5 Gore +2.4
Missou(11) 45.8 49.0 McCain +3.2 Bush +7.2 Bush +3.3
India(11) 45.5 47.8 McCain +2.3 Bush +20.7 Bush +15.7

In none of the toss-up states where Democrats won in 04' is McCain
in the lead.
In three of five of the above toss-up states where Republicans won in 04 McCain is just barely in the lead, 1.2 in Ohio, 1.6 in Florida, 1.7 in Nevada.
Realistically, Missouri will go to McCain. However, Indiana is still up for grabs for Obama, but he doesn't need it.

Obama is now leading in two vital states that Republicans would have taken for granted (despite a fight from Dems) prior to this election: North Carolina and Virginia. Yet Obama is leading in both!
Personally I don't see Obama taking Florida, I think the margins will come out on McCain's side (only just), and even if McCain takes Ohio, he will still lose if he can't keep Virginia or North Carolina.

In fact, if these numbers stand, Obama would win 301 Electoral Votes versus McCain's 237.
And that includes McCain taking toss-up states like Ohio, Florida and Indiana.

Come the VP debate, these numbers will be reinforced. Come Election Night, Obama sweeps the table
Old 09-29-2008, 01:37 PM   #850
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilbanne View Post
Obama and McCain cowrote an anti nuclear proliferation bill and got it passed. Sorry if someone has already posted that info but it's important to realize even they have worked together for the good of everyone.
Ive found it interesting (and refreshing) that this race thus far has been a very civil one with very little real nasty mud slinging tactics from either side. In fact both candidates go out of their way to speak well of their opponents and to point out areas where they have agreed or compromised in the past. Perhaps this is due to the delicate nature of having a “war hero” go up against a minority candidate and pushing too hard can back fire on you a lot quicker then picking on say George Bush or John Kerry. But whatever the reason its nice not to see mean vicious lies masking themselves as campaign tactics (so far no more Swift Boat smear campaigns…). Now things could change as we get closer to November but knowing the personalities of both these candidates I don’t think youll see it get too far down in the sewer. In fact I would say up to this point Obama had far worse vicious attacks from the Hillary machine then he has from McCain’s people!

By the way, no comments on the debate Friday? I thought Obama had a slight edge by the end. He started strong and was always ready with great follow ups when McCain made accusatory comments about stuff. Although McCain finished strong and came off better speaking like and positioning himself as a “wisened veteran” on military and foreign affairs, Obama still held his own quite well on the issue and although he was on the defensive by the end he didn’t give any ground which can only help considering this was supposed to be McCain’s strong topic. The economy debate should be interesting…

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 09-29-2008, 01:55 PM   #851
Empress_Flynn
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt View Post
Have you voted, yet?
I wasn't old enough during the last election... well, that's slightly misleading... I WAS old enough, I had JUST turned 18, and I registered fairly soon after that, but I was away at school at the time and would have had to do an absentee ballot, which needs to be gotten and sent in a certain amount of time before the election. Unfortunately there wasn't enough time for me to do that...

I plan on being back in the country for this election, and I do plan on voting for this one

Old 09-29-2008, 02:12 PM   #852
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress_Flynn View Post
I wasn't old enough during the last election... well, that's slightly misleading... I WAS old enough, I had JUST turned 18, and I registered fairly soon after that, but I was away at school at the time and would have had to do an absentee ballot, which needs to be gotten and sent in a certain amount of time before the election. Unfortunately there wasn't enough time for me to do that...

I plan on being back in the country for this election, and I do plan on voting for this one
Right about the absentee ballot.

Here's my challenge to you. Get an absentee ballot and vote, now, where you are. Then, when you come back to the country you'll be free to work on "Get Out The Vote" (GOTV). It'll be terrifically exciting, I promise you, and make what is shaping up to be the most exciting (and probably important) contest in the last 50 years even more personally memorable.

deal?

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 09-29-2008, 02:14 PM   #853
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Coffeehouse, I spent all yesterday working on this.

Obama needs to win every vote, and it won't be easy, but we'll do it.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 09-29-2008, 02:15 PM   #854
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

*sigh*

The flockin race is irrelivant. There won't even be an election and there will be marshal law instead.

They already are kicking congress people out of the house of reps.

This is what is going to happen. This is why.

Besides they need marshal law if they want to get away with this.

Ecclesiasticus 2:1-5
1 My son, if thou come to serve the Lord, prepare thy soul for temptation...
...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
Old 09-29-2008, 02:26 PM   #855
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

El Tel, I can't get youtube. Wanna summarize?

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 09-29-2008, 02:53 PM   #856
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

lol

gosh no...

Just basically, "they" purposely crashed the economy, threatened and expelled congress people and have already secretly declared marshal law on the people. Heralding a facist state ruled now officially by the bushes and there hidden masters the Rothchilds (red child) the edomites, direct descendants of Esau:

Genesis 25:25
And the first came out red, all over like an hairy garment; and they called his name Esau.

Ecclesiasticus 2:1-5
1 My son, if thou come to serve the Lord, prepare thy soul for temptation...
...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;

Last edited by The Telcontarion : 09-29-2008 at 03:03 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:41 PM   #857
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Well, which congress people? Where is the martial law?

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 09-29-2008, 03:43 PM   #858
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Isnt that the script from Omen III?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 09-29-2008, 03:49 PM   #859
Coffeehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt View Post
Coffeehouse, I spent all yesterday working on this.

Obama needs to win every vote, and it won't be easy, but we'll do it.
Definitely. It's not easy, it's won't be easy, and it definitely, the primaries showed that!, hasn't been easy.

Yet the Obama Campaign understood it early on, they understood the state-by-state approach, every vote counts in every city, town and rural district, and that's why the grass-root campaign has been so successul. It's a real movement!

And now it's really paying off, and that's why I look at these numbers and it's a reason for optimism. Obama is going to pull this one off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telcontarion View Post
The flockin race is irrelivant. There won't even be an election and there will be marshal law instead.

They already are kicking congress people out of the house of reps.

This is what is going to happen. This is why.

Besides they need marshal law if they want to get away with this.
Let's see. You take a clip from DemocracyNow! concerning re-assignments to North Command, for usage in civil unrest, etc. to mean that Marshall Law is going to be imposed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telcontarion View Post
gosh no...

Just basically, "they" purposely crashed the economy, threatened and expelled congress people and have already secretly declared marshal law on the people. Heralding a facist state ruled now officially by the bushes and there hidden masters the Rothchilds (red child) the edomites, direct descendants of Esau:

Genesis 25:25
And the first came out red, all over like an hairy garment; and they called his name Esau.
And you couple that with an obscure reference to "they", some ramblings about a fascist state(!?) and Bush and the Rothchilds along with some meaningless lines from, of all reliable sources in the world, the Bible?

Seriously?
Old 10-02-2008, 04:13 PM   #860
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex View Post
By the way, no comments on the debate Friday? I thought Obama had a slight edge by the end. He started strong and was always ready with great follow ups when McCain made accusatory comments about stuff. Although McCain finished strong and came off better speaking like and positioning himself as a “wisened veteran” on military and foreign affairs, Obama still held his own quite well on the issue and although he was on the defensive by the end he didn’t give any ground which can only help considering this was supposed to be McCain’s strong topic. The economy debate should be interesting…
I agree. Obama looked very good, as did McCain.

The only negative I'd say about McCain is that he kept talking about Obama's inexperience but didn't really back it up with any details. It made him seem like he was just complaining instead of actually pointing out a fault.

I think he's showing his age. He's simply not as sharp as he use to be, and I liked him a lot in the past.

I kind of reminded me of Bob Dole v. Clinton, a great mind that was simply past his time.

Last edited by brownjenkins : 10-02-2008 at 04:15 PM.
Closed Thread