Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 11:02 AM   #801
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
I tell you, I am seriously intolerant of evil. I'm intolerant of slavery, sexism and racism. I'm intolerant of people harming one another and trying to tear one another down. I'm intolerant against Muslims' supposed right to persecute or grant mere second class citizenship to their religious minorities. These are aspects of Middle East culture and religion I am indeed intolerant of, and I am very glad I am not tolerant of them. No one should be tolerant of the abusing of the helpless and innocent.
I'm intolerant of stereotyping.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:07 AM   #802
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Me too. Except when it comes to Hollywood.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Old 03-30-2006, 11:22 AM   #803
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Brownjenkins, remember that I posted these things too:
Quote:
There is a lot of good in Islam. Some of the Muslim teachings are very profound, very, very worth following. There are some great teachings of peace and ethics there. However, there also are calls for violent warfare against nonbelievers, and that is where we are today.
Quote:
many of Muhammad's teachings were moral light years ahead of the tribes of Saudi Arabia that he lived among.
And also, I'm fully aware that there are a large number of liberal Muslims who are not extremists.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Old 03-30-2006, 12:16 PM   #804
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

I know. I just like to remind people from time to time. Sometimes people get a bit to caught up in dogma and forget that in then end, the route to peace is learning to understand and work with our differences. Differences which will always exist.

You are not going to change muslims overnight, or change christians or jews for that matter. But hopefully at least a few babysteps can be taken by each generation.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:28 PM   #805
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I think Islam is very deeply intertwined with the culture of countries who have historically been predominantly Muslim, like Iraq, Iran, and Saudi Arabia. Sometimes it's hard to separate culture from religion, for example, Sharia law.

When people move to another country they bring their culture with them. Maybe this is part of the problem too.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 03-30-2006, 09:07 PM   #806
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
I think Islam is very deeply intertwined with the culture of countries who have historically been predominantly Muslim, like Iraq, Iran, and Saudi Arabia. Sometimes it's hard to separate culture from religion, for example, Sharia law.
Yes, but a major reason for this is not simply that those countries have been historically predominantly Muslim. Lots of countries in Europe for ages were predominantly Christian, but have radically changed since or even anyway. England went through many changes throughout its history to become more and more democratic. The Parliamentary system of England and the freedom for man goes way back into its Christian culture. Even though England was predominantly Christian for many years, the Parliamentary system took over and King Charles I lost his head even with Christianity everywhere. So democracy isn't naturally always suppressed by religion.

The reason democracy is suppressed by Islam is that Islam was originally intended to tie together all the laws people needed to follow in life. It was supposed to encompass what we think of as religion, as well as politics and social and economic life. It had laws for all of those things. It was a religion that instructed people in the details of their lives. Culture was part of the religion, and politics also were supposed to be part of the observance of Islam.

Christianity wasn't at all like that. Jesus said, "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's." He taught giving the state what was due it and God what was due him, and taught that these were two different things. But Islam enmeshes state and religion together. It fuses culture, economics, politics and religion all together and makes them one.

That's a key reason why Islam hasn't separated religion and culture.
Quote:
When people move to another country they bring their culture with them. Maybe this is part of the problem too.
Maybe. I expect that's true.

Old 03-30-2006, 11:34 PM   #807
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Interesting insights Lief! I wasn't trying to say that religion always/sometimes supresses democracy.

Maybe the lack of separation between mosque and state in, say, Iran is more cultural than religious. After all most Iraqis are Muslim and they have an elected President. Iran has an ayatollah (sp?) which has something to do with religion, I think.

I'm venturing into territory about which I know nothing, but I wanted to point out that Iran and Iraq are very, very different countries and both has predominantly Muslim populations.

Quote:
Christianity wasn't at all like that. Jesus said, "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's." He taught giving the state what was due it and God what was due him, and taught that these were two different things. But Islam enmeshes state and religion together. It fuses culture, economics, politics and religion all together and makes them one.
<OT>Someone should memo George W. Bush about that. </OT>
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 03-31-2006, 11:57 AM   #808
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Turkey is also an example of a democratic muslim country.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:27 PM   #809
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I realize there are a small handful of exceptions. According to Amnesty International, there are severe limits to freedom of expression in Turkey, and a Los Angeles Times article also indicated their democracy really could be doing better. But there are a small handful of exceptions.

The Palestinians do have a very real democratic process set up, and the Iraqis too. Though in Iraq, the democracy only exists because of coalition intervention in the country. Indonesia, a really big Muslim country, also has in very recent years formed a successful democratic process.

Real democracy exists only in a tiny minority of the Middle Eastern Muslim nations, however. Sometimes there's lipservice to a democracy (Egypt), but it's far from real in practice. A critical reason for this is the nature of the Muslim religion.

I think this is a critically important point:
Quote:
Islam enmeshes state and religion together. It fuses culture, economics, politics and religion all together and makes them one.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 03-31-2006 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:35 PM   #810
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

I don't agree. I think it has a lot more to do with the history of the region. Countries have been in the hands of absolute or near absolute monarchs for centuries. Something the West perpetuatued after WW2 because we thought it would be easier to deal with monarchs than democracy. Saddam Hussien was secular, not muslim.

You only have to look back 50 to a 100 years to see a vastly christian Europe that was as far from democracy as the middle east is today. In fact, christian nations have a longer history of being undemocratic than muslim ones do.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:32 PM   #811
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
I don't agree. I think it has a lot more to do with the history of the region. Countries have been in the hands of absolute or near absolute monarchs for centuries.
Because of the Islamic heritage and the Muslim culture.
Quote:
Something the West perpetuatued after WW2 because we thought it would be easier to deal with monarchs than democracy.
World War 2 was very recent. European Christian countries changed to become more democratic, but the Islamic countries have not.
Quote:
You only have to look back 50 to a 100 years to see a vastly christian Europe that was as far from democracy as the middle east is today. In fact, christian nations have a longer history of being undemocratic than muslim ones do.
The Christian nations have a longer history of existing than the Muslim ones do . But even in spite of that, in England it is simply not the case.

Old 03-31-2006, 07:32 PM   #812
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Cromwell's revolt in England was a short spurt in a long and glorious (though hardly unstained) monarchy in England, which didn't have its (apparent) final death blow struck until much later.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-31-2006, 08:07 PM   #813
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
The Christian nations have a longer history of existing than the Muslim ones do . But even in spite of that, in England it is simply not the case.
Well, Christianity is roughly 500 years older than Islam, but are we getting oldest religion points now? In that case Zoroastrianism wins at everything.

Iraq is largely regarded as the cradle of civilization, with the Sumerian empire starting between the Tigres and the Euphrates rivers. This was much before Islam's (and Christanity's) begginnings.
Quote:
Old 03-31-2006, 08:10 PM   #814
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

thank god for the blackdeath.

else what democracy would there have been in the whole western world maybe?

Single greatest historical event - the blackdeath - the effective end of Serfdom- the start of freedom!

Nurv - for Muslims Jesus is a prophet- the healer - but he came later than other prophets- so that seems a little odd?

Last edited by Butterbeer : 03-31-2006 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:12 PM   #815
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Why is that odd? Jesus was a holy man, and the Muslims regarded him as such. That's why he's the fourth prophet. Doesn't seem odd to me.

Think how long it took to write the Bible! You can't just make a religion in a couple weeks! People are going to keep adding to it, as people contribute to Christianity and Islam to this day.
Quote:
Old 03-31-2006, 08:20 PM   #816
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

you said Islam was younger?

yet he was a later prophet.
they got a time machine or something there Nurv?
Old 03-31-2006, 08:39 PM   #817
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

But Islam was founded in the 7th century! See? I'm confused.

Muhamed was born in 570 AD and Islam was founded in 622 AD. linkage.

Islam honours the Old Testament prophets (?) like Abraham and Moses. I guess the prophets of Islam are first Muhamed, then Abraham and Moses, then Jesus. In the date they were added?

edit: Mary is considered very holy but is not a prophet.
Quote:
Old 03-31-2006, 09:34 PM   #818
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Well, Christianity is roughly 500 years older than Islam, but are we getting oldest religion points now? In that case Zoroastrianism wins at everything.
I was just explaining to brownjenkins why the Christian nations have so far been non-democratic longer than the Muslim ones . Age is not a very compelling evidence for validity .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
Don't say that, BB. I know there were some really good things that followed the Black Death and that couldn't have come without it, as you say. But that came at the cost of unfathomable misery and death that we haven't had to pay- other innocents did. We cannot conceivably imagine the horror or the suffering.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 03-31-2006 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:30 PM   #819
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
I was just explaining to brownjenkins why the Christian nations have so far been non-democratic longer than the Muslim ones . Age is not a very compelling evidence for validity .
Oh.

Quote:
Don't say that, BB. I know there were some really good things that followed the Black Death and that couldn't have come without it, as you say. But that came at the cost of unfathomable misery and death that we haven't had to pay- other innocents did. We cannot conceivably imagine the horror or the suffering.
I would say, Thank God good came of the Black Death.
Quote:
Old 03-31-2006, 10:43 PM   #820
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I highly doubt it. I would guess it's some highly primitive beast cult, by that criterion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterbeer
else what democracy would there have been in the whole western world maybe?
You are only making the Black Death worse in my eyes.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Closed Thread