Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-01-2011, 06:51 AM   #801
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked View Post
Remember the Ground Zero Mosque controversies?

I believe they are back. The New York Post had this article 1-30-11.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/g...lADqlz8Et5CuTP

Not really unexpected since it is a Muslim project and they do have definite beliefs.

Note the religious remarks about people who reject Islam, in addition to the more inflammatory remarks about homosexual behavior.
While I agree that those beliefs about homsexuals are inflammatory, I will defend the rights of Southern Baptists to build churches wherever they want.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill

Last edited by GrayMouser : 02-01-2011 at 06:55 AM.
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:19 AM   #802
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Suggest you google "homosexuality causes abuse" for a torrent of articles- almost all from right-wing sources such as conservapedia and Regent University- agreeing with Abdallah Adhami.This is a common belief among Christian Fundamentalists and apparently among Islamic fundies as well.

Funny how the Murdoch-run NY Post, among others. manages to totally overlook such inflammatory remarks when made by people who are not Muslims- the Murdoch press and right-wingers in general being in the forefront of the struggle for gay rights and all.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill

Last edited by GrayMouser : 02-02-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:43 AM   #803
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Look, a couple of months ago a Belgian Roman Catholic Bishop said AIDS was a punishment from God, and was rightly rebuked by the Catholic Church.

A couple of weeks ago a Russian Orthodox bishop caused a storm of controversy by saying women who wear mini-skirts should not be surprised if they get raped.

http://www.bishop-accountability.org...odoxChurch.htm

He too was rebuked by his Church.

As for Adhami:

Quote:
The community center's organizers have sought to distance themselves from Adhami's views. The imam was first identified this month as a "senior adviser," but organizers have since said he is only an adviser. They also said his views do not reflect those of the project.
Again, if someone was actually concerned about outrageous things religious leaders say about the rights of gays and women you'd think one of the many cases that do not involve Islam would occasionally show up on the radar- but somehow that never seems to happen.

I'm reminded of Jon Stewart's Senior Black Correspondent Larry Wilmore's complaints about Black History Month:

"White people have to pretend they care about black people, black people have to pretend they care about history...."

Old 02-02-2011, 09:38 AM   #804
inked
Elf Lord

Interesting, GM. You do note the "censured" by others parts in regards to the articles you cite in regard to Christians?

I await your similar on Islam.

Particularly where death penalties are still employed against homosexuals in numerous Islamic states.

Also, would you care to comment on the enshrinement of Islamic law in the constitution of Afghanistan and the prosecution under death penalty of those who convert away from Islam there?
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:49 AM   #805
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayMouser View Post
Look, a couple of months ago a Belgian Roman Catholic Bishop said AIDS was a punishment from God, and was rightly rebuked by the Catholic Church.
Not quite, the public outrage was very big and vocal, but the church was pretty silent. Léonard is very in tune with Rome, unlike his more progressive predecessor who often got blamed for the emptying churches. Guess they didn't pay attention to the spike in numbers of people wanting to be scrapped from the baptised lists after Léonard opened his mouth...
Old 02-03-2011, 03:16 AM   #806
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Swedes - A Frightened People

Now this is going to sound harsh and unforgiving but the truth of the matter is that the Swedish people - chiefly from mid and northern parts of Sweden are scared witless of being called racists, are bullied into submission by so called Anti-Racists.

Therefore any critisism concerning immigrants and Muslims in particular is totally unacceptable. In fact, according to the "people in the know" there exist no reason whatsoever for concern regarding Muslims, of which quite substantial number have ideas that do not conform the Swedish ideals of freedom and equality.

The "politically correct" Anti-Racist mob does not allow any negative opinion on the subject of immigration. Mainly because, in their view, there is no cause to have any such thing or it is not permitted. In fact, immigration is unequivocally of an entirely positive nature according to their immeasurable wisdom or highly vocal and opinionated viewpoint.

The germans, not without cause, have called us the Stupid Swedes. And in many regards, we are.

Does the same kind of PC idiocy exist in other countries or is Sweden singularly afflicted by this?
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote