Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-28-2003, 11:37 AM   #61
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
I think what she means is, that if someone wants a link in their sig, they could have it like:

Fake Link

But it would be much longer than that it actuality.

[ URL = http://www.this-site-aint-there.com/...e/nothere.html ] Fake Link [ /URL ]

Extra spaces added to make it visible. But the point is, regardless of how many characters seem to be in the link, there are in all likelihood many more.
well there are tricks in getting around that little problem as anyone who uses AIM and likes long signatures may be aware of. But cutting it off at a certain number of TRUE characters (not HTML text) would work just fine.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 11:39 AM   #62
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by EƤrniel
For the more veteran posters these discussions soon can get that 'it's been done'-feeling.
Totally agree. I get this vibe all the time from people.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 02:53 PM   #63
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

Quote:
I'm not much of a threadstarter myself, I often lack the inspiration for a good topic.
hahaha look at me, i have to copy off of posts i dredged!

i tyhihk that some of it is in the minds of the "older" members... but as soon as they find (or a mod finds) the right thread, it's all good.
Old 03-01-2003, 01:52 AM   #64
Smaug
Enting

My opinion on sigs: If a sig takes up more space than the post, it's a waste of visual real estate. I don't like having to scroll past half a page of garbage after reading one or two sentences.

Fortunately, many forum software solutions (including vBulletin) allow users to hide other users' sigs.
Smaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 03:43 AM   #65
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
I agree it sometimes get annoying (LIke I can talk)

I've grown out of having sigs about two pages long, but I like the one I have now, and don't want to change it!
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 04:29 AM   #66
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
As far as the sigs, I would like to see character limit placed on them.
I PM'd Ben about this about a week ago. Lazy bugger hasn't gotten back to me yet!
Old 03-01-2003, 04:39 AM   #67
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Anyway, I'd just like to put in my two cents: Would Ben even consider the possibility of setting up an actor forum? Honestly, I'm reaching the end of my teather regarding mindless comments about certain "hot" actors. It has come to the point now where you can't even avoid reading it if you don't want to, cos it's spread like vermin across most of the forums. Still hasn't impregnated the sil forum yet... hah!

I used to really enjoy scrolling through the new topics, but now, if I see that the last comments are by certain people who shall remain nameless, I simply avoid the thread. 'Tis a sad day indeed, that I have to say that I find the 'moot to be a pretty boring place now. And yes, I know that SGH said that WE make it, but it's a little hard to be enthused, when I can't even be bothered reading certain threads anymore, because of the decline in discussionary value.
Old 03-01-2003, 05:48 AM   #68
Evenstar07
Sapling

im 15 and a girl and i do think orlando is hot
so i guess you could classify me as a 'fangirl'
but that isnt the reason why i joined the moot
i love tolkien's works and i wanted to discuss them and see people's thoughts and ideas on different things
especially since i dont know anyone who loves the books like i do (they only watch the movie)
and yes, i was prompted tor read LotR because of the movies release but that doesnt mean im not a true fan of Tolkien
and i have never discussed anything about anyone/anything in the movies in any message board, except to say i was mad about the changes in TTT ( especially what they did to poor Faramir)

some of the people who have slagged off 'fangirls' are people whose comments i have read and found very interesting, intelligent and admirable (especially since im not Tolkien expert)
like lizra and blackboar and sween ( you wouldnt have heard from me because i dont reply to messages very much- i dont know much of what to say and i love reading more)

so im sorry if i have degraded the quality of the board, but all i wanted to do was view comments by his fans.
Evenstar07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 09:41 AM   #69
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
so im sorry if i have degraded the quality of the board, but all i wanted to do was view comments by his fans.
Yeesh Evenstar07 you ain't posted enough to upset anyone.

And if ya last post is anything to go by, ya should defintely post more

Quote:
'Tis a sad day indeed, that I have to say that I find the 'moot to be a pretty boring place now.
I know what ya mean BoP, a lot of the threads have a "samey" feel and some are just filled with mindless tripe *shrugs* the 'moot needs some new topics.

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 10:29 AM   #70
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
And if ya last post is anything to go by, ya should defintely post more
Precisely what I was thinking. Evenstar sounds like she'd be a nice addition to this board. It doesn't matter if you were prompted to read Tolkien because of the movies! As long as you read it! The type to whom we (or at least 'I') refer to as fangirls are the type who consider themselves experts (to varying degrees) on Middle-earth because of their constant proclamations that someone or another is hot. ESPECIALLY when said individuals won't bother to even start reading the books by the Professor. Anyway, I'm just saying that you sound like a fine addition to the Entmoot community, and hope you will post more.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 11:37 AM   #71
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

The boring part (to me) is when "fangirl/boy" types just talk back and forth among each other, about some little "collective" (gooseball ) joke, for a half a page or more. Add in the "too long" signatures and you've got BORING! So this is when I start ignoring whole threads (and names). When I come to Entmoot, and the entire first page is filled with the same three names of "fluffsters", well, it's a bummer. Please, (IMO) if your posts aren't really saying anything but "yeah! hoo hoo, ha ha" don't say it. The occasional joke is do-able, but less is more!
Old 03-01-2003, 11:56 AM   #72
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
The boring part (to me) is when "fangirl/boy" types just talk back and forth among each other, about some little "collective" (gooseball ) joke, for a half a page or more. Add in the "too long" signatures and you've got BORING! So this is when I start ignoring whole threads (and names). When I come to Entmoot, and the entire first page is filled with the same three names of "fluffsters", well, it's a bummer. Please, (IMO) if your posts aren't really saying anything but "yeah! hoo hoo, ha ha" don't say it. The occasional joke is do-able, but less is more!
Also helps if the joes are funny ! There is a couple of thread which end up like MSN messnger conversation or summet im not gonna name names but im sure other will know who i mean.

I think Entmoot is bassically an adult bored and we like to carry out convos on an adult level not a childs level if you know what i mean. Can we have an over 18s section? Or possibly a kiddies play and orlando worship area?

Im like BoP if i see some mooters names next to a tread i wont bother reading but then that works in the same way some peoples posts i will allways read. Basically some of you suck and some of ya are great you a bit like scunthorpe united football matches
Old 03-01-2003, 12:12 PM   #73
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
I think Entmoot is bassically an adult bored and we like to carry out convos on an adult level not a childs level if you know what i mean.
But some of the members who have been here for a long time are under 18, so they aren't adults. Some of them have been here for the longest time and do enjoy this board even if they are not adults.
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 12:40 PM   #74
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Maybe Sween means mature? I've read mature, intelligent posts by 14 year olds, and ding dong posts by 25 year olds. It's what you have to contribute that counts. If it's just "Orlando is hotter than Elija!!!!!!!!", or "You do that? I do that too, isn't it cool , we both do that!!!!!!" ....well who needs it!
Old 03-01-2003, 12:41 PM   #75
Gwaimir Windgem

Yeah...like me! Okay, so maybe since December ISN'T forever...

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-01-2003, 12:46 PM   #76
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady of Rohan
But some of the members who have been here for a long time are under 18, so they aren't adults. Some of them have been here for the longest time and do enjoy this board even if they are not adults.
Well, here's my take on that. This is a PG-13 board, so everyone is welcome. You must keep in mind though, that LotRs, the Sil, and the HoMe are adult fantasy literature, and very complex. If anyone wishes to talk about these works, then it should be done on a sincere and intelligent level. People that post in the book forums that drool over Orlando Bloom, are frankly not contributing to the discussion of Tolien's work. The movie forum is a jole because of all of this. I am sure that there are Tolkien fans that would like to post their thoughts on the movie and to read others thoughts, but this select group, who seem to have no interest whatsoever in the works of the professor, or even in the movie, have been the problem. They appear to have one interest, and that is a lust for a particular actor. That is not beneficial to these forums, and I would like to see that change. Age, isn't the issue here, actions are.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 12:58 PM   #77
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Well, here's my take on that. This is a PG-13 board, so everyone is welcome. You must keep in mind though, that LotRs, the Sil, and the HoMe are adult fantasy literature, and very complex. If anyone wishes to talk about these works, then it should be done on a sincere and intelligent level. People that post in the book forums that drool over Orlando Bloom, are frankly not contributing to the discussion of Tolien's work. The movie forum is a jole because of all of this. I am sure that there are Tolkien fans that would like to post their thoughts on the movie and to read others thoughts, but this select group, who seem to have no interest whatsoever in the works of the professor, or even in the movie, have been the problem. They appear to have one interest, and that is a lust for a particular actor. That is not beneficial to these forums, and I would like to see that change. Age, isn't the issue here, actions are.
True. Sorry.
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 03:58 PM   #78
Elvedans
Diamond Of The Night Sky

I personally think age has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with anything. I am only a teenager yet i feel that i can take part in intellectual and intelligent discussions without saying anything to do with orlando bloom etc.
Elvedans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 04:03 PM   #79
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvedans
I personally think age has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with anything. I am only a teenager yet i feel that i can take part in intellectual and intelligent discussions without saying anything to do with orlando bloom etc.
allright maybe age does not have that much to do with but i was refering to the very young im sure some of fan girls are not much over 11 and probably dont even realise there is a book. I tend to avoid the movie forum now as it has moved away from waht it should be which is movie VS film how are they diffrent why has it been interupted that why to stuff like who do you want to marry, whos the hottest, who would look the best wearing nothing but covred in choclate (thats miranda otto by the way)
Old 03-01-2003, 04:13 PM   #80
Gwaimir Windgem

You mean movie VS. book?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle