Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-09-2002, 09:07 AM   #61
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf

when I was in stockholm was was a tad disappointed.

there where SO many black, asians, and eastern European,balkan, turk etc

I was like " were the white people at"
If you walk in central Stockholm, where the big stores are at, then you most likely will see a greater variety of people. Due to the huge influx of immigrants, the town has a great number of asians, afrikans, and people from the middle-east and baltic countries, so if you didn't see so many BLOND AND BLUE-EYED SWEDES that's the reason.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 07-09-2002 at 09:09 AM.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 09:15 AM   #62
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil

I always picture Swedes as being fair skinned and with blond hair.

A lot of Swedes are fair skinned, blue-eyed and blond. But there are quite a few blue-eyed brown-haired and brown-eyed dark-haired ones, too. Due to a greater number immigrants coming in to the country than before, the variety of "types" have increased.

I just found out that Adam Sandler and Jack Nicholson ( a New Jerseyan) were filming down the street from me in Cranbury. The movies is coming out next year called "Anger Management".

That's one thing thaty's cool about New Jersey is that a lot of stars live around here and they do a lot of filming. We don't usually find out they've filmed somewhere - until they're gone though. New Jersey is one of the top five states that is used for location filming. Right now some special effects studios are moving to Trenton.

Last year they flimed all of "A Beautiful Mind" in New Jersey with the majority of filming occurring down the road from me in Princeton. Bebe Neuwirth (a Princetonian), who played Lilith on "Cheers" and starred on Broadway in "Chicago" was scooping ice cream as a benefit thing at Ben Jerry's in Plainsboro. Frankie Muniz, who lives in New Jersey, his cousin is in my cousin's class. There are many famous people that live around this area.

Queen Noor of Jordan is a New Jerseyan - two years ago she gave the commencement speech at Princeton University.
Old 07-09-2002, 09:19 AM   #63
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Grey_Wolf, I think jerseydevil just said that!??!!?
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 02:28 PM   #64
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by emplynx
Grey_Wolf, I think jerseydevil just said that!??!!?
j-d just said that he pictured them all as fairskinned & blond, he didn't say anything about them being of some other skin- or hair-colour.
Old 07-09-2002, 08:57 PM   #65
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Celebrities from Northern Ireland:

George Best, Eddie Irvine, Liam Neeson, Kenneth Branagh and Seamus Heaney.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 08:04 PM   #66
noldo
Elven Icon Maker

Weird, I don't recall there being that much "people of non-swedish origin" in Stockholm... (Although there is much more immigration going on, a lot more than in Finland) And I've been there like A LOT of times... Comparing to, let's say... some other countries in Europe and the US... I think it's more like "where's all the black people at?" than, "where's all the white people at?"... Like, one in a million and stuff...
OoOh... But I love Swedes... I just love to go to Stockholm to check the people out... Eh eh... maybe i should go soon again.
noldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 10:53 AM   #67
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by noldo
Weird, I don't recall there being that much "people of non-swedish origin" in Stockholm... (Although there is much more immigration going on, a lot more than in Finland) And I've been there like A LOT of times... Comparing to, let's say... some other countries in Europe and the US... I think it's more like "where's all the black people at?" than, "where's all the white people at?"... Like, one in a million and stuff...
OoOh... But I love Swedes... I just love to go to Stockholm to check the people out... Eh eh... maybe i should go soon again.
Of that million immigrants and children of immgrants, most of them live in the big cities or in the suburbs. So you love Swedes. Thank you.
A suggestion of a city to visit: my hometown, Helsingborg, which lies in the north-west corner of Scania close to Denmark (ferries and boats over the sound, every 20 minutes). Loads of babes (it being a university town, I suggest a summer-visit).

On the other hand, Gothenburg, ain't half bad either (it being a university town, too).

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 07-13-2002 at 07:10 AM.
Old 07-12-2002, 10:30 PM   #68
Erawyn
Elven Warrior

Canada...

fortunatly i was able to inore the few 51st state jokes...

I must admit that Canada is not a bad place, and some parts of the country are beautiful (British Columbia imo one of the prettiest places in the world, and Nova Scotia and the rockies are pretty nice too) but i find ontario pretty dull. Canada just doesn't seem to have much in the way of culture, at least one that i find interesting, and where i live its really ugly. (cept some parts of downtown!!) also we've unleashed the horrors of Celine Dion and the Moffats upon the rest of the world, which i feel someone should apologize for.

My goal in life (at the moment) is to go to NZ! BOP or anyone else...does it really look like it did in the lotr movie (the non cgi parts obviously)??
Erawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 04:13 AM   #69
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Re: Canada...

Quote:
Originally posted by Erawyn
My goal in life (at the moment) is to go to NZ! BOP or anyone else...does it really look like it did in the lotr movie (the non cgi parts obviously)??
Are you asking me to blow my trumpet again? Sure, some parts do. It depends where you go. We've got a bit of everything, from snow, to alps, to rainforest, to west coast beaches, to bushland scrub, to crappy old residentia and city skylines.
Old 07-13-2002, 07:23 AM   #70
noldo
Elven Icon Maker

Finland is a lot like Sweden... only scruffier.
noldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 10:52 PM   #71
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

I guess I'll revive this thread and hopefuly more people will share where they live.

I guess I'll talk about Oregon a little bit which is my second favorite state - after New Jersey of course.

Even though I don't drink - the McMenamins Pubs were my favorite place to hang out and go with friends.

They had one pub/hotel which was made from an old converted school house called the Kennedy School. The rooms had old desks and chalkboards in it. Another pub/hotel called the Edgefield, "Originally built in 1911 as the Multnomah County Poor Farm, is really cool.

The Barley Mill Pub was my favorite though. It was all done in Grateful Dead stuff and just felt very northwest bohemian. They have a huge selection of board games that you can take and play at your table. It's just a fun place.

The Bagdad is cool too. It's one of the ones that has a theater in it. I did see a movie there and ate there several times. I'll have to drag out my travel books and give you more information.

I do like NJ more - but Oregon is cool too.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 07-30-2002 at 08:26 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 05:53 AM   #72
Sween
im quite stupid

well i am From england to be more precist a place called cockermouth (yes its a real place) in cumbria just outside the lakes. Geographically britian has a bit of everything but not really excelling. WE have mountians but they aint that high and we have lakes but they aint that big.

I love the area in which i have grown up i have spent most of my natral life been able to what i want which has consisted of swimming in the laikes and rivers and going camping a lot.

i think france is probably the prettiest country i have been to. It is just gergeous.

The english are a strange bunch i think most just want a easy job and a good social life and i think we drink a lot more than americans
Old 07-30-2002, 06:09 AM   #73
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
...i think we drink a lot more than americans
You think? I think you guys bloody drink EVERYONE under the table!
Old 07-30-2002, 06:18 AM   #74
Sween
im quite stupid

hell yeah and we are proud of it. Its begging to anoy me because no joke i had 17 pints this weekend and i still managed to walk home make love and have a dececent conversation with my lass and rember it all. Its costing me too much i long for the days when a bottle of smernoff ice could get me drunk and happy.
Old 07-30-2002, 10:27 AM   #75
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Now, Belgium what can I say?

Tiny country in Europe,founded in 1830. It has been occupied by France, Germany, Spain, Austria and The Netherlands. The name comes from a old tribe of Germans or Celts of whom Julius Caesar said that they were the fiercest of all the tribes he had fought. When Belgium was founded, the matter of providing the country with a king became a European problem.

It's devided in two parts: Flanders and Walonia. Flanders(Vlaanderen) speaks Flemish. The Wallonians speak French. There is also a little part in the east where the people speak German. Both parts have their own goverment but there is also a federal goverment. They apperantly like fighting amongst themselves, our politicians have the habit of being a little nitpicky. It gets emabarassing sometimes

Now what can I say that sounds better? Oh, there is off course chocolate and very good one at that. We had some very famous painters, Rubens, Van Duyck, Breughel, the Flemish primitives, enz.... I believe American museams have plenty of them in their collections. We have some of the oldest ports in Europe like Antwerp (Antwerpen). If I remember correctly Belgium had the first train. Belgium also has a lot of light pollution, I'm told that one can see the shape of Belgium in space because there's so much light. Belgium also provides space for the European Goverment in Brussels. (Brussel)

The national food of some sort is French fries with beef. French fries are definately not French, I never knew why they had to be labeled French.

Belgium bears the results of being among the first industrial countries, which leaves us with little original woods and no large wildlife. But it has a lot of architectural treasures like the very special ( yet unfinished) cathedral in Antwerp.

I can't think of anything more at the time. Any questions?
Old 07-30-2002, 11:31 AM   #76
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants

You think? I think you guys bloody drink EVERYONE under the table!
So, you've met me then Yes i live in england, but am scottish remember. Remember that and it'll all work out in the end. And what am i talking about? think about it...

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 12:32 PM   #77
Draken
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by EƤrniel
Now, Belgium what can I say?

Tiny country in Europe,founded in 1830. It has been occupied by France, Germany, Spain, Austria and The Netherlands. The name comes from a old tribe of Germans or Celts of whom Julius Caesar said that they were the fiercest of all the tribes he had fought. When Belgium was founded, the matter of providing the country with a king became a European problem.

It's devided in two parts: Flanders and Walonia. Flanders(Vlaanderen) speaks Flemish. The Wallonians speak French. There is also a little part in the east where the people speak German. Both parts have their own goverment but there is also a federal goverment. They apperantly like fighting amongst themselves, our politicians have the habit of being a little nitpicky. It gets emabarassing sometimes

Now what can I say that sounds better? Oh, there is off course chocolate and very good one at that. We had some very famous painters, Rubens, Van Duyck, Breughel, the Flemish primitives, enz.... I believe American museams have plenty of them in their collections. We have some of the oldest ports in Europe like Antwerp (Antwerpen). If I remember correctly Belgium had the first train. Belgium also has a lot of light pollution, I'm told that one can see the shape of Belgium in space because there's so much light. Belgium also provides space for the European Goverment in Brussels. (Brussel)

The national food of some sort is French fries with beef. French fries are definately not French, I never knew why they had to be labeled French.

Belgium bears the results of being among the first industrial countries, which leaves us with little original woods and no large wildlife. But it has a lot of architectural treasures like the very special ( yet unfinished) cathedral in Antwerp.

I can't think of anything more at the time. Any questions?
How could you forget to mention the BEER!

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 01:05 PM   #78
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Draken
How could you forget to mention the BEER!
Indeed, how could I? <-- See my face becoming red. You'll have to forgive a poor non-alcohol drinker.
Old 07-30-2002, 01:30 PM   #79
Sween
im quite stupid

u dont drink ohh dear me
Old 07-30-2002, 02:53 PM   #80
azalea
Long lost mooter

I know, it was weird when we went to England; we commented on how many drunk people there were just walking around!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote