Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-14-2002, 07:04 AM   #61
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Dunadan
I know exactly what you mean, Coney. I'm afraid to go and buy a paper at the moment; it's so easy just to say "10 bensons" and that's that.
Ain't that true?

The woman in my local shop asked me if I wanted my usual brand of cigs ...........how I didn't say yes is anones guess

I'm taking solace in Blackcurrant&Liqorice sweets, Airwaves chewing gum and lots of coffee.

It's amazing (well for me anyway) what to do to distract yourself from the thought of a cig............this morning I did the hoovering and it didn't even need doing! .............. I must be going mad

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 08:50 AM   #62
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Just a reminder of what non smokers might think about cigerette smoke. Ugh! That nasty, stinking stuff! Clouds of fowl, dusty car exhust type of air, coming from someones mouth! Ewww! Get me out of here! Whenever they light that hateful "burning stick", the white and yellow gagging smoke spirals up right to my nostrils, and burns up my nose in an overwhelming cloud of dusty polluted, acrid exhust. I think I'll just have to leave, I like this person, but I can't bear that nostril burning smoke!
Old 11-14-2002, 09:38 AM   #63
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

It's really hard to explain to a non-smoker what it is about tabs. But once you're hooked, giving up is like not being allowed to eat. I'm sure it carves out its own little receptor in your brain so that you'll never feel whole again. Actually, not entirely unlike Frodo when he was back home but going about fingering Arwen's gem (who wouldn't?).

However, that'll pass. Onwards and upwards.

On my 75th birthday I'm going to make a massive Camberwell Carrot consisting of tobacco salvaged from the douts of a hundred Woodbines. If we're all still around I'll set up a web cam (or web -virtua brain dump) and you can experience my brain exploding and see what you've been missing.

Sorry, think I'm getting delirious.
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 11:38 AM   #64
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
Ain't that true?

The woman in my local shop asked me if I wanted my usual brand of cigs ...........how I didn't say yes is anones guess
I think that's one of the reasons it harder for my friend and a lot of other people to stop smoking and drinking than it is to stop taking drugs. Cigarettes and alcohol are all around and almost impossible to get away from. I have always felt that holidays - particular Chirstmas/New Years are the worst for people that are giving up smoking or drinking. In the US Memorial Day and 4th of July would also be a really hard time to stop drinking - with all the picnics and barbeques.

But Coney - at least you had the willpower to decline the cigarettes.

Dunadan -virtual brain dumps. That would be scary. I don't know if you've seen this movie - but it's the last one Natalie Wood made (she died (was killed?) in the middle of making it. Brainstorm is a cool movie.

Quote:
The story involves the development of a headset recorder that can replay one person's experiences--even their emotional states--into the mind of another. The device obviously invites corporate or military exploitation, and Cliff Robertson plays a ruthless executive determined to tap into its lucrative potential. But when a scientist (Louise Fletcher) records her own death experience with the device, along with incriminating evidence, the technology's inventor (Christopher Walken) must unlock the mysteries of his colleague's suspicious demise and the very nature of death itself.
With this device - people that say "why don't you just stop smoking" or drinking or doing drugs - can see what an addict is really going through. I've never gone through it myself, but after seeing so many people go through this - I know it's not easy.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 03:26 PM   #65
Dunadan

Why anyone would want to stop drinking is beyond my comprehension.
Old 11-14-2002, 03:40 PM   #66
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Well I guess you'd have to experience the pain my friend goes through and the fact that he's only in his mid 20's and already is developing liver disease.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 03:45 PM   #67
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

It depends on how often you vomit
Old 11-16-2002, 06:58 PM   #68
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Day Whatever

*sings*..................................*badly*

Have to admit it's getting better
Getting better all the time

Still fancy a tab.........wouldn't commit murder for one now tho

Beatallica
Old 11-16-2002, 07:02 PM   #69
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Good! I used to smoke but never addicted like my husband. When I finally quit, it was liberateing to get away from...Do I have some, do I have fire, Do I need to buy more, is this a good time to have one, will anyone here be grossed out if I have one. It's so wonderful just to breathe air and leave it at that! Go Coney!
Old 11-16-2002, 07:11 PM   #70
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Now that is a whole different boilling utensil of marine life!

(although I do only drink on a Friday or Saturday night)

Thanks for the support Liz (and others)

My taste buds are returning .......... if this carries on I'll have to downgrade my favourite curry from a Madras to a Bhuna

Your right Liz.......the constant panic for a supply of nicotine/smoking equipment is terrible.......the chore of having to pop to the shop 2/3 times a day is something I'm certainly not missing (I never bought cigs in bulk......if I had 100 cigs in the house I would have smoked 100 in a day )

Dunadan. How's it going with you?

Beatallica
Old 11-16-2002, 08:52 PM   #71
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I think I might check into a membership in the health club (Gym) in our town. If my husband had something else he could obsess over, he might be able to try again. If he could focus on exercise and diet, health and strength, and stuff like that, he could let this thing go. Worth a try.
Old 11-16-2002, 09:10 PM   #72
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
I think I might check into a membership in the health club (Gym) in our town. If my husband had something else he could obsess over, he might be able to try again. If he could focus on exercise and diet, health and strength, and stuff like that, he could let this thing go. Worth a try.
Excellent idea! Exercising also releases endorphins that help to combat the depression/anxiety etc that many ex-smokers feel (I throw weights around myself.........might as well take my frustration out on those )...........with all this unrefined oxygen getting to my system I'll become muscle-bound .

Also an idea might be to drag him to places that do not allow smoking.............movies, theatre, endless xmas shopping at the mall etc.................not really a solution but if he spends 2/3+ hours in a non-smoking environment then for 2/3+ hours he is not smoking

Beatallica
Old 11-19-2002, 07:56 AM   #73
Dunadan

Great to hear you're going strong, Coney. I have to confess to a slight derailment on Saturday night (I plead intoxication), but it was only one puff on someone else's tab.

I have flagellated myself continuously since.

It definitely made it more difficult on Sunday and Monday, but today I feel better again. And yes, it's great to be liberated from all the nonsense associated with losing your lighter and going to the shops at 2am.

I also find exercise a great help. Like banging your head against a brick wall, it feels great when you stop. Also, if there's something which totally absorbs you (I sometimes get it when writing or drawing), make more time for it as it makes you completely forget about smoking. Long, hot baths are great too (ever tried smoking in the bath? I have and it's gross).

Last edited by Dunadan : 11-19-2002 at 07:58 AM.
Old 11-19-2002, 08:11 AM   #74
Miranda
'Bohemian princess of Covent Garden

Any ideas to help me stop my teenage friend from smoking. She's underage so its illegal anyway and she's ruining her singing voice. She's doing it because she says everyone in her year is and she wants to fit in. I've told her its stupid trying to kill yourself to be popular but she won't listen! What can I do to convince her she's ruining her career? Any help would be appreciated Mx
Miranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 11:59 AM   #75
Tobu, Son of Toba
Sapling

Its not as easy as that!

I gave up smoking when i passed my driving test, i needed to, i couldn't of afforded the petrol otherwise, petrol in the u.k is well expensive, unlike our american cousins(you guys are so lucky!)sorry that is different subject but my point being is that you need to set yourself an aim , a reason to stop!
Tobu, Son of Toba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 12:50 PM   #76
Sween
im quite stupid

its about six mouths now since i got stoned i kinda miss it
Old 11-19-2002, 01:20 PM   #77
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

It's been almost eleven months since I last rushed. I don't miss it at all. I'm still scared.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 09:33 PM   #78
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Day fluffed if I know.

Ach.

This is when it's worst.

When ya bored/peeid off/sober/alone

Self pity-city *sob*

Miranda: I'll post her some of what I cough up every morn' if it'll help

Beatallica
Old 11-24-2002, 10:10 PM   #79
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

that is gross. If you are bored, do something. If your pissed, stop. if your alone, go to a bar. also the cure for being sober.

*No i am not promoting getting hammered*

OOC: Coney, is that Offspring?

This one is deactivated, I think.
Aeryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 10:20 PM   #80
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Aeryn
that is gross. If you are bored, do something. If your pissed, stop. if your alone, go to a bar. also the cure for being sober.

*No i am not promoting getting hammered*

OOC: Coney, is that Offspring?
Doing something: Posting irrelevant shite on here

Must be sober, willpower dimishes quiclky while drunk

Bar: ach no...........british pubs suck donkeys (full of old blokes, usually talking excrement ( I live in a very small village).

Offspring: Yep

Edit: it gave me a tongue when I wanted a pee.

Beatallica

Last edited by Coney : 11-24-2002 at 10:21 PM.