Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 08:48 AM   #721
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Gaffer, now that you mention it, I want to ask you about the British elections!

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
Old 05-19-2008, 11:20 AM   #722
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
Ageism is illegal in this country. Seriously. You can't cite a person's age as a reason not to employ them, for example.
Heh.

Gaffer, I thought I'd mention to you that the media here has touched upon the issue of ageism (or lack of it) now that Henrik Larsson was named in Sweden's squad for Euro 2008
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:03 PM   #723
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Hahaha. No way, he must be pushing forty.

One of my all-time favourite players though (slightly biased in that I am a Celtic fan). Who's he playing for now?
Old 05-19-2008, 12:32 PM   #724
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Yeah, he's 37. He plays for Helsingborg now. Not one of the best teams in the Swedish league, but last year he was a Manchester United loanee for a while.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:33 PM   #725
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

Henki's got style On loan for the wrong team tho. But that goes for Solskjær too
Old 05-19-2008, 06:40 PM   #726
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Good for him. Class, class player.

Anyone watching the Champions League final?

And could this thread get more off-topic?
Old 05-20-2008, 11:08 AM   #727
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Good for him. Class, class player.

Anyone watching the Champions League final?

And could this thread get more off-topic?
Yes, though it's on at 2:00 am Taiwan time (go, United)

And this is Entmoot- threads can always get more off-topic.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
Old 05-20-2008, 12:56 PM   #728
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

I look forward to it.

My money's on Chelski. I suspect it will be like a home game for them. I hope United win though.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:09 PM   #729
Coffeehouse

Quote:
I look forward to it.

My money's on Chelski. I suspect it will be like a home game for them. I hope United win though.
C'mon Chelsea
Old 05-20-2008, 06:29 PM   #730
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Stay on topic, please.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:16 PM   #731
Nautipus
Kraken King

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zUdjhKbImwE

Neat video.

"You ever try to flick a fly?
"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"A crab? I dont see any crab."
"How?! It's right there!!"
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

-Excerpts from A Tale of Two Morons
Old 05-21-2008, 11:12 AM   #732
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Back on topic-
After sweeping through the early primaries in Iowa and elsewhere, Andrew Ferguson's got this locked up.

Though Chelsea came roaring back in late primary states like West Virginia and Kentucky, even winning their head-to-head match was not enough, as final victories in Oregon and Wigan sealed it for United.
Chelsea's draw in Bolton plus the refusal to seat the Florida and Michigan delegations pretty well spelt the end for Chelsea, and even led to rumours of Hillary Clinton being sacked as manager.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill

Last edited by GrayMouser : 05-21-2008 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:58 PM   #733
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Ha ha ha! She's clinging on for the penalty shoot-out. I've seen that Obama bowling video; she'd have him.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:52 PM   #734
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Obama!

Old 06-06-2008, 04:56 PM   #735
Amael
Elven Warrior

Hillary, but she's out now. I'm thinking McCain now. However, if Obama takes Hillary as a running mate which may be unllikely, then that might be okay.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:40 PM   #736
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Why in the world would you take McCain over Obama if you are a Hillary fan? Dont you realize Obama and Clinton are almost twins on the issues in comparison to McCain?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 06-07-2008, 10:06 AM   #737
Jon S.
Elven Warrior

I was touched by Obama's speech, earlier this week, to the America-Israel Public Action Committee (AIPAC). As corny as it sounds, when he spoke, he reminded me of Haldir's words to Theoden, only like this:

"I bring word from the spirit of Dr. Martin Luther King. An alliance once existed between blacks and Jews. Decades ago we fought and died together. I come to honor that allegiance."

I'm one of the strange ones. I have tremendous respect for both remaining candidates and she who will drop out today. I think our country would be safe and well-cared for by each of them. They each bring his or her own strengths and limitations to the table. That being said, I believe Obama is our best choice and, while I am not without reservations, he will receive my vote.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:51 AM   #738
Coffeehouse

Concerning the misfitted, kneejerk labelling of Obama by many Republicans: here's an observation..

How substantial is the Obamacon phenomenon? Well, it has even penetrated National Review, the intellectual anchor of the conservative movement. There's Jeffrey Hart, who has been a senior editor at the magazine since 1968 and even wrote a history of the magazine, The Making of the American Conservative Mind; and Wick Allison, who once served as the magazine's publisher.

Neither man has renounced his conservatism. Both have come away impressed by Obama's rhetorical acumen. This is a particular compliment coming from Hart, who wrote speeches for both Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan. They both like that Obama couches his speeches in a language of uplift and unity. When describing his support for Obama, Allison pointed me in the direction of a column that his wife (who has never supported a Democrat) wrote in The Dallas Morning News: "He speaks with candor and elegance against the kind of politics that have become so dispiriting and for the kind of America I would like to see. As a man, I find Mr. Obama to be prudent, thoughtful, and courageous. His life story embodies the conservative values that go to the core of my beliefs."

The New Republic
Mr. Right?
by Bruce Bartlett
The rise of the Obamacons.
Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Last edited by Coffeehouse : 06-11-2008 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:03 PM   #739
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeehouse View Post
Concerning the misfitted, kneejerk labelling of Obama by many Republicans: here's an observation..

How substantial is the Obamacon phenomenon? Well, it has even penetrated National Review, the intellectual anchor of the conservative movement. There's Jeffrey Hart, who has been a senior editor at the magazine since 1968 and even wrote a history of the magazine, The Making of the American Conservative Mind; and Wick Allison, who once served as the magazine's publisher.

Neither man has renounced his conservatism. Both have come away impressed by Obama's rhetorical acumen. This is a particular compliment coming from Hart, who wrote speeches for both Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan. They both like that Obama couches his speeches in a language of uplift and unity. When describing his support for Obama, Allison pointed me in the direction of a column that his wife (who has never supported a Democrat) wrote in The Dallas Morning News: "He speaks with candor and elegance against the kind of politics that have become so dispiriting and for the kind of America I would like to see. As a man, I find Mr. Obama to be prudent, thoughtful, and courageous. His life story embodies the conservative values that go to the core of my beliefs."

The New Republic
Mr. Right?
by Bruce Bartlett
Wednesday, June 25, 2008
He's an inspiring speaker, and i hope becomes a great president.

It's a bloody job...I wouldn't want it.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 06-11-2008, 07:30 PM   #740
Coffeehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeehouse View Post

The New Republic
Mr. Right?
by Bruce Bartlett
Wednesday, June 25, 2008
I just realized something extremely strange. The date says June 25 2008, which is impossible. And I quoted it from this:
http://www.tnr.com/politics/story.ht...eac17bcfca&p=2

Must be a spelling mistake by the New Republic...
Closed Thread