Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 04:41 PM   #681
inked
Elf Lord

Why I did it by the guy who did it: on the cartoons -

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...702499_pf.html
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 02-20-2006, 04:45 PM   #682
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

His reasoning and expectations were most logical.

Such primitive reactions as this incident finds it's way through the 3rd world, is just indicative of the problems we face.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:43 AM   #683
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Far from logical:

Quote:
challenging moderate Muslims to speak out
In what way? By offending them? By putting them in a position where they have to choose between extremists and Westerners?

I loved this:
Quote:
The cartoons are including, rather than excluding, Muslims.
The ingrates!
Quote:
On occasion, Jyllands-Posten has refused to print satirical cartoons of Jesus, but not because it applies a double standard
Oh? Why not then?
Quote:
But if a believer demands that I, as a nonbeliever, observe his taboos in the public domain, he is not asking for my respect, but for my submission.
This, of course, is true, but it is argument by association, since this does not apply to this situation.
Quote:
You cannot edit a newspaper if you are paralyzed by worries about every possible insult.
Yes.., but then we have
Quote:
But that does not mean that I would refrain from printing them as long as they fell within the limits of the law and of the newspaper's ethical code.
Och, this guy is a numpty.

* stops reading *

* Glances back and sees him attempting to draw a parallel with the Cold War *

I stand corrected: he is an numpty and a eedjit.

EDIT

Went and read the rest of it, which is largely sensible.

If what he says there is true, then that's great.

However:

Quote:
the integration of Muslims into European societies has been sped up by 300 years due to the cartoons
Hmmm. So, he has a modest view of his own contribution to society, then.

We are now up to egomaniac, numpty and eedjit

Last edited by The Gaffer : 02-21-2006 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:42 AM   #684
inked
Elf Lord

Case in point of Turkey:

Yale Law School assessment (Lowenstein link below):
http://www.archons.org/pdf/yalelawstudy.pdf

from Constantinople: (Constantinopolitan Society link below)
http://www.greece.org/themis/halki2/osce.html

see summary at http://catholica.pontifications.net/?p=1423
+++++++++++++++++++++++
Turkey and the Ecumenical Patriarch
Since January there is a drive by the Ecumenical Patriarchate to re-open the Theological Seminary of Heybeliada (Halki) in Istanbul. This seminary has been closed by the Turkish government even though it promised to permit its re-opening up till 2004. Currently under Turkish law, the Ecumenical Patriarch must be a Turkish citizen. But since the seminary is closed, and through discriminatory practices by the Turkish government which has whittled away the Orthodox population down to about 2,000 in Turkey, it is incredibily difficult to select the Patriarch.

Moreover, since 1975 the Turkish government has confiscated 75% of the Patriarchate’s properties. They have also lodged retoractive taxes of 42% on Church hospitals and other facilities since 1999. Details regarding other human rights violations and discriminatory practies by the Turkish government can be accessed at:

Constantinopolitan Society

Lowenstein International Human Rights Clinic

Citizens in free countries of the West are urged to contact their elected representatives to influence the Turkish government to make good on its past promise to permit the re-opening of the seminary and protect the freedom of its Christian minority. American citizens are urged to contact their U.S. senators. The influence of western citizens will be especially potent at this point when Turkey is petitioning for entrance into the European Union.
++++++++++++++++++
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 02-21-2006, 01:07 PM   #685
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Well the worm has turned in at least one 10th world country

Now if this spreads to more civilized countries-which I doubt-there will be a cause for armegedon.

Anti-Muslim Riot in Nigeria Turns Deadly
By DULUE MBACHU (Associated Press Writer)
From Associated Press
February 21, 2006 9:49 AM EST
LAGOS, Nigeria - Christian mobs rampaged through a southern Nigerian city Tuesday, burning mosques and killing several people in an outbreak of anti-Muslim violence that followed deadly protests against caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad over the weekend.

Residents and witnesses in the southern, predominantly Christian city of Onitsha said several Muslims with origins in the north were beaten to death by mobs which also burned two mosques there.

"The mosque at the main market has been burnt and I've counted at least six dead bodies on the streets," Izzy Uzor, an Onitsha resident and businessman, told The Associated Press by telephone. "The whole town is in a frenzy and people are running in all directions."

The violence appeared to be in reprisal for anti-Christian violence Saturday in the mostly Muslim northern city of Maiduguri in which thousands of Muslims protesting caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad attacked Christians and burned churches, killing at least 18 people.

Another Onitsha resident, Isotonu Achor, said one badly beaten Muslim man ran into his office from the streets to escape the violence.

"There is blood all over him and I'm scared they'll come for him here. If he doesn't get urgent treatment he will die," Achor said.

Police and government officials were not immediately available for comment.

Nigeria, Africa's most populous country of more than 130 million people, is roughly divided between a predominantly Muslim north and a mainly Christian south. Thousands of people have died in religious violence in Nigeria since 2000.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:38 PM   #686
inked
Elf Lord

Chicken or egg? http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../International

Support your local UN cop?
http://www.stevejanke.com/archives/158548.php

If it's done in Denmark, let's burn the world ...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/cartoonpro...713505,00.html

I find it interesting that the AP picks up the "anti-muslim riots" and ignores the anti-christian assaults in Nigeria since 2000.

http://michellemalkin.com/archives/004588.htm

http://aacblog.classicalanglican.net...es/001591.html

So, acting nice doesn't work, either... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...20/wcart20.xml

Last edited by inked : 02-21-2006 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:40 PM   #687
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Isn't Turkey a secular state? Haven't we already had that discussion? Or is this just a "talk trash about anyone vaguely towel-headed" thread?

If true, I have great sympathy with these folks. Sounds like they are being royally stiched up. I would have thought the EU would be the way to go to protest about that sort of thing, since Turkey is desperate to join and has even got rid of the death penalty to eliminate blockades.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:45 PM   #688
inked
Elf Lord

The Gaffer needs to define secular for the Turkish imams, I believe.

No, it is not condemn the towel heads, TG. It is what's up and has been up in "secular" Turkey for generations.

Truth is history or history is truth or some such, right?
Old 02-21-2006, 02:51 PM   #689
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
LAGOS, Nigeria - Christian mobs rampaged through a southern Nigerian city Tuesday, burning mosques and killing several people in an outbreak of anti-Muslim violence that followed deadly protests against caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad over the weekend.
So... yet again more evidence that its about culture and not really about religion...

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 02-21-2006, 04:39 PM   #690
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
So... yet again more evidence that its about culture and not really about religion...
hmmmm, if you read it you would see it's not.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:49 PM   #691
inked
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex

I re-iterate:

I find it interesting that the AP picks up the "anti-muslim riots" and ignores the anti-christian assaults in Nigeria since 2000.

http://michellemalkin.com/archives/004588.htm

http://aacblog.classicalanglican.ne...ves/001591.html

It is about religion, IR, which ought to be evident to you is culture for Islam.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:50 PM   #692
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

if the photo doesn't show, you can see it here:

http://www.asianjoke.com/pix/afghani...ror_school.htm

Everyone seems to be wondering why Muslim terrorists are so quick to commit suicide. Let's see now. . .. .

No Jesus

No Christmas

No television

No cheerleaders

No baseball

No football

No hockey

No golf

No tailgate parties

No Wal-Mart

No Home Depot

No pork BBQ

No hot dogs

No burgers

No chocolate chip cookies

No lobster

No shellfish, or even frozen fish sticks

No gumbo

No jambalaya

No Beer

Rags for clothes and towels for hats.

Constant wailing from the guy next-door because he's sick and there are no doctors.

Constant wailing from the guy in the tower.

More than one wife.

You can't shave.

Your wives can't shave.

You can't shower to wash off the smell of donkey cooked over burning camel dung.

The women have to wear baggy dresses and veils at all times.

Your bride is picked by someone else.

She smells just like your donkey.

But your donkey has a better disposition.

Then they tell you that when you die it all gets better!

I mean, really, is there a mystery here?
Old 02-21-2006, 04:54 PM   #693
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

That is pretty funny, I'll have to admit! Oh, Spock! Now if I had put that post up, you guys would castigate me for being anti-islamic and mean, or something. But you guys gotta admit, it's pretty funny!

Now as far as Turkey goes, man that country has done so many extreme awful things to its neighbors and that whole area of the world for thousands of years, and I think that the peoples and cultures and countries affected by the grievous things Turkey did to them, won't forgive and forget so quickly and easily, and I wouldn't either, were I one of them.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Lotesse : 02-21-2006 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:59 PM   #694
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Well it's all true Lotesse so it is truth and nothing more.

re: Turkey- go rent Midnight Express; the guy lived 8 miles from me at the time.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:00 PM   #695
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

Quote:
Everyone seems to be wondering why Muslim terrorists are so quick to commit suicide. Let's see now. . .. .

No Jesus
No Christmas
No television
No cheerleaders
No baseball
No football
No hockey
No golf
No tailgate parties
No Wal-Mart
living in a world filled with those items has me feeling suicidal, actually.... they're are supposed to be good? Mall-Wart????? television? *gags*

Quote:
No Home Depot
does this mean they still have small independently owned hardware stores where the employees actually know something?

Quote:
No pork BBQ
No hot dogs
No burgers
No chocolate chip cookies
No lobster
No shellfish, or even frozen fish sticks
No gumbo
No jambalaya
No Beer
I'd miss some of those, but not enough to be suicidal. Especially considering how lousy the food is in most of the US outside of the larger cities. And I long for a world without frozen fish sticks. They're just nasty, imho.

Quote:
Rags for clothes and towels for hats.
Constant wailing from the guy next-door because he's sick and there are no doctors.
Constant wailing from the guy in the tower.
oh, and the typical wingnut is an example of sartorial splendor, eh? *laughs*

constant wailing because there are no doctors? ROFL! let's not start on the 40 million plus who have no health insurance in the US, hm?

yep, Spock, another wildly funny post as usual
Old 02-21-2006, 05:01 PM   #696
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Spock - I have SEEN that movie; Midnight Express is a fantastic film! And it definitely gives one pause for thought when considering smuggling dope out of Turkey.

Hasty Ent, of course! But he's only joking; right Spock? I mean, if they can joke about us, why can't we joke about them? That road goes both ways. They think we're the devil's children, us Westerners; they think we are infidel dogs, the extremists anyway which Spock is joking on.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Lotesse : 02-21-2006 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:03 PM   #697
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

on a personal note; they also don't have any convenience stores with rude clerks.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:13 PM   #698
inked
Elf Lord

And in the few stores they have, they may not have anything to buy!

Boycotts not Islamic say Arab Profs:

http://www.oneworld.net/article/view/127948/1/

And, Hasty Ent, do you live in America? Why?

(Oh, never mind! See here: http://www.canadafreepress.com/2006/brussels022006a.htm)

Last edited by inked : 02-21-2006 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:41 PM   #699
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasty Ent
*gags*
I love you Natalie.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:21 PM   #700
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Well it's all true Lotesse so it is truth and nothing more.

re: Turkey- go rent Midnight Express; the guy lived 8 miles from me at the time.
That was good, Spock . Very good.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Closed Thread