Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 03:02 PM   #641
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufin View Post
SCA - as much as possible, if I had my choice.
Not me. *shakes head* I don't like big groups. I like small groups who run big groups even less. This is a big darn country. It needs to be run by people who understand the issues at hand. The Federal government runs Washington DC. When that place is the city on the hill it was designed to be, we'll talk about expanding their control to MY neighborhood.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 03-27-2008, 03:04 PM   #642
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

I guess it was my research into the Civil Rights movement of the 1960's that made me support a strong central government.

If it hadn't been for the federal government, we'd likely still have school segregation in places like Mississippi and Alabama...

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 03-27-2008, 03:07 PM   #643
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
I guess it was my research into the Civil Rights movement of the 1960's that made me support a strong central government.

If it hadn't been for the federal government, we'd likely still have school segregation in places like Mississippi and Alabama...
Well, they're bringing back segregation, here. Morons.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 03-27-2008, 03:09 PM   #644
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Really? How, what, when, where, why?

*feels out of touch with things in the States*

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 03-27-2008, 03:12 PM   #645
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Where?

Sis, this better not be a by-a-hair postulation

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
Old 03-27-2008, 03:14 PM   #646
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz View Post
Where?

I wanted to make sure I covered everything.

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 03-27-2008, 03:20 PM   #647
hectorberlioz

Oh sorry Curufin, I was just reiterating your question to Sis

This is interesting. You're in Ireland, but your vote will count in Indiana? How long have you been in the land of the shamrocks?

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 03-27-2008, 03:24 PM   #648
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/p...=2008803200355

http://www.prestigeacademycs.org/about.shtml

A single gender school for males of color. A public school.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 03-27-2008, 03:27 PM   #649
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz View Post
Oh sorry Curufin, I was just reiterating your question to Sis

This is interesting. You're in Ireland, but your vote will count in Indiana? How long have you been in the land of the shamrocks?
Since September. I go to University here, I'm working on my Master's Degree in Irish History and Politics. But I'm an American citizen, born and bred, from the sleepy river town of Madison, Indiana.

EDIT: SC&A - that doesn't sound good. I'll read up on it and let you know what I think later.

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 03-27-2008, 03:32 PM   #650
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Since September. I go to University here, I'm working on my Master's Degree in Irish History and Politics. But I'm an American citizen, born and bred, from the sleepy river town of Madison, Indiana.
Looks lovely.

As to the school, well, it's not a ringing endorsement of our current successes, that's for sure.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 03-27-2008, 04:08 PM   #651
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Just as an aside, IMO, I think it's better if you can get away from the 2-party system. We've been operating under a system (MMP) for quite some time, and it's worked out really well (basically any party with over 5% of the vote gets a representative number of seats in parliament). What this means is that the larger parties are tempered by the smaller, and nothing can be passed unless they either have the majority seats, or if they have enough support from the smaller parties. Currently, the government is led by a minority-left wing. They don't have majority seats, but they have the support from the smaller parties (like the green party). It works.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 03-27-2008 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:22 PM   #652
hectorberlioz

The thing about minority parties though is---they represent a minority!

The two party system forces each party to be broad enough to include people like Giuliani (pro-choice) to Sam Brownback (very much pro-life). This goes for the Democrats as well, with pro-life Democrats (Bredesen) to the most crazed pro-choice (Justice Ginsberg).

The two-party system is good because it keeps the parties in the mainstream of America (Bill, Dole, Gore, Bush jr were all left-of center, right-of-center...not very far to either side).

I'm glad you folks brought this up, because I'm making the subject of me Persuasive Speech: Why the two-party system is good.

I'll update you guys as I go through my arguments

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 03-27-2008, 05:27 PM   #653
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Quote:
The two-party system is good because it keeps the parties in the mainstream of America (Bill, Dole, Gore, Bush jr were all left-of center, right-of-center...not very far to either side).
While this is true to an extent, I think it's also somewhat stagnating. It's difficult for new ideas to get a voice. In a parliamentary PR system like BeardofPants suggested, these smaller parties would get a smaller voice (after all, PR is, suprisingly, proportional), but their voices would still be heard. And I think it's important to hear the crazy voices on the fringes. Maybe we shouldn't listen to them all the time, and they certainly shouldn't have control of the government, but it never hurts to listen to new and different ideas.

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 03-27-2008, 05:36 PM   #654
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

On the whole I prefer multi-party systems like our own. Yet that too can turn into a formidable mess like you wouldn't believe it! Sheesh, it only took us nine friggin' months to form a government and I'm not holding my breath over how long it'll last...
Old 03-27-2008, 06:46 PM   #655
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt View Post
Not me. *shakes head* I don't like big groups. I like small groups who run big groups even less. This is a big darn country. It needs to be run by people who understand the issues at hand. The Federal government runs Washington DC. When that place is the city on the hill it was designed to be, we'll talk about expanding their control to MY neighborhood.
Hear, hear.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-27-2008, 07:14 PM   #656
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
While this is true to an extent, I think it's also somewhat stagnating.
Agreed. When you have two party systems, the two parties eventually come so close together so that politics becomes stale and trivial.

There's some rule of economics that two shops will end up next door to each other on the same street. This is because if the shops are at opposite ends of the street, half the people will go to one and half will go to the other. So if a shop moves towards the middle, they will still have all the people from their half, but also gain a bunch of people from the other half, because they are now closer. So the shops move towards the middle until they are right next door to one another.

It's the same in politics.

The "centre ground" might be the closest point on average to the greatest number of people, but if that's all you've got, most people are still unrepresented.

Labour and the Tories are pretty similar to one another policy-wise; Dem and Repug are too. (I'm not saying there aren't important differences.) This is a huge part of the reason why so few people vote, I'm sure of it.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:53 PM   #657
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Curufin has it - it's a representative democracy in action. You can't polarise an entire country into two schools of thought, so why limit their voting choices to an essentially 2-party choice? It's not like the whack-jobs get in - you have to have 5% minimum to get seats.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:38 AM   #658
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

And if more than 5% of your country supports the whack-jobs, well, that's democracy.

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 03-28-2008, 04:19 AM   #659
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

And if they are nutjobs, you have the 95% to stop them.

Here, we have a government in which the single Green member of parliament holds the balance of power, potentially.

We haven't turned into a car-free republic as a result, however.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:23 AM   #660
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

How do any of you think this differs from the American system, in practice? We have 2 independent Senators, out of 50. We've had a number of 3rd party governors, and have 3rd party candidates serving in every state, pretty much.

And as someone who DOES this, I can tell you, the system is wide open. If you were registered Dems in my district, and attended 2 meetings, you'd probably be asked to be on the district committee. We elected a candidate to the House in a special election who no one on the committee knew at all...and nominated him over TWO long-time members of the committee itself, including the chair. He had the best qualifications, and he won.

It's all very well to sit by a television and complain that the US system is closed, particularly a television that doesn't even originate here. But I'm in these sodding meetings all the time, and I can tell you, it is not so. And as for partisan...I have walked into my statehouse, in several states, and politicians from all ends of the spectrum, invited me in, and listened to me. In my state, here, they buy me lunch.

The first national election I worked on was the presidential election of 1976. (I supported a minority party candidate in that election, btw.) I have never, EVER had any trouble getting my opinions heard. Sometimes people don't agree with me. But I honestly believe, if you represent what the people want, they vote for you. And that's all we're going for, isn't it?

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Closed Thread