Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 12:47 PM   #601
inked
Elf Lord

Enlightenment requires knowledge. Here are two interesting sites from which one may link to knowledge in regard to

Muslims, Islam, and Denmark : http://www.supportdenmark.com/

Muslims, Islam, Jews, Christians and New York City:
http://mliccione.blogspot.com/2006/0...ard-again.html

Knowledge cuts both ways, though, and is a dangerous tool. That's always been an argument against it.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 02-11-2006, 01:13 PM   #602
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

If it weren't for in information age, this would have been confined to Denmark. Now as each community gets information from other countries, they seem to have to emulate others reactions. It's way out of proportion but does show the intolerance is greater on Islams part when compared to similar instances concerning Judiasm or Christianity.

Last edited by Spock : 02-11-2006 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:08 PM   #603
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

C*a*u*t*i*o*n*

Two warnings to keep this topic on topic were ignored and thus it had been *temporarily* closed.

I now reopen this forum in hopes that the topic title will be upheld. '

If you have comments about Muslims, then place them in that topic thread which has been active long before this one started.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:08 AM   #604
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

So many issues are related to this one, though. It's really hard to talk only about the cartoon issue, when it is a symptom of a bigger picture .
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Old 02-12-2006, 12:13 AM   #605
Lotesse
of the House of FĂ«anor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
So many issues are related to this one, though. It's really hard to talk only about the cartoon issue, when it is a symptom of a bigger picture .
Word!! True that, true that.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Lotesse : 02-12-2006 at 12:14 AM.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:58 AM   #606
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

As Lief and others have said, posting and private:

For that reason and after studying the way this topic has and appears to go, it is being merged into the "MUSLIMS" topic.

All aspects of Islam and the behaviour of its adherents will fit well under that long established topic and will aid those wanting to comment but finding scattered topics about the same general venue.

It is hoped that this will solidify opinion and commentary on this issue facing Western society.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:25 PM   #607
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Thanks for merging the threads, Spock. I think this will definitely make discussion far easier and more pleasant .
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Old 02-13-2006, 04:40 PM   #608
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
Let's just say they're not living as Muhammad and his immediate followers lived. You don't need a doctorate in Muslim theology to know that. All you need is a history book.
And i dare say that most christians are not living like the jesus of the bible did. But does that make them non-christian or wrong? Also if hundreds of millions of muslims believe a certain way then who are you OR spock OR I to tell them no you cant think that way because thats not the Islam I see in "history" books and on the news.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 02-13-2006, 04:48 PM   #609
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
Actually what I said was "Stop trying to attach the rules of YOUR culture to everyone else in the world/universe." I said nothing about "dictating". Thats YOUR modus operendi. Not mine. What I said was meant to be viewed as an internal suggestion and not a warning against overt action. Its a suggestion on how to think so as to avoid these kinds of incidents. As long as you assume everyone should live and think exactly like you then you are bound to have conflict with other cultures. And here you see it.
Joe: Dont tell Mark what to do Al! you're not his father.
Al: dont tell ME what to do, you're not MY father.
Joe: Hypocrite! Don't tell me what I should and shouldnt be saying! you're not my father!
Al:fine, but I wasnt claiming to be anyone's father. I was only telling Mark what to do.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
Old 02-13-2006, 04:50 PM   #610
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by RĂ*an
I would say that quite a few Muslims agree with what Spock was saying. And he doesn't need to ask them - he can refer to their suicide notes and videos made before they blew up civilians along with themselves.
And "quite a few" Muslims DONT. In fact a much larger "few". So its pretty unfair and misrepresentative to constantly push that extreme minority suicide bomber terrorist thinking whenever we speak of Islam.

Furthermore, quite a few christians think its ok to kill others in the name of revenge. Quite a lot actually. Do we tar and feather the bible and the entire christian religion because of this opinion of many christians?

Old 02-13-2006, 04:56 PM   #611
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

where is this silent majority of peace loving Muslims?

I'm talking about the ones in Arab countries. Certainly most of the Muslims in countries like the USA are peace-loving.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
Old 02-13-2006, 05:09 PM   #612
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
......then who are you OR spock OR I to tell them no you cant think that way because thats not the Islam I see in "history" books and on the news.
We/I am/are not saying that at all. Stop distorting and making up your own version of posted fact.

The Book is Law, the religion is The Book, the people uphold its laws.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:12 PM   #613
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
And "quite a few" Muslims DONT. In fact a much larger "few". So its pretty unfair and misrepresentative to constantly push that extreme minority suicide bomber terrorist thinking whenever we speak of Islam.
AGAIN, no one is pushing anything, merely stating the fact and corner stone teachings of the religion. If in your view "quite a few don't" then just go back to the post which says exactly that; referring to Orthodox, Reform, etc.

And there is NO teaching in Christianity which says it is ok to kill yourself in order to kill enemies of Christianity. The 'eye for an eye' rule went out with the New Testament.

Last edited by Spock : 02-13-2006 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:40 PM   #614
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
We/I am/are not saying that at all. Stop distorting and making up your own version of posted fact.

The Book is Law, the religion is The Book, the people uphold its laws.
Apparently except for the few hundred million of them that dont do those things... If you want to insist that they are no muslim then go right ahead.

Old 02-13-2006, 05:47 PM   #615
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
AGAIN, no one is pushing anything, merely stating the fact and corner stone teachings of the religion. If in your view "quite a few don't" then just go back to the post which says exactly that; referring to Orthodox, Reform, etc.

And there is NO teaching in Christianity which says it is ok to kill yourself in order to kill enemies of Christianity. The 'eye for an eye' rule went out with the New Testament.
But its IN THE BIBLE. And millions of CHRISTIANS use it and other bible references as justification for revenge killing.

Old 02-13-2006, 06:15 PM   #616
inked
Elf Lord

FYI

The lex talionis "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth" was a limitation of revenge in a culture which would happily kill every relative to your second or third cousin once removed in response to a perceived injury or physical injury.

So the lex talionis was a restriction of revenge. The Code of Hammurabi does much the same.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 02-13-2006, 06:31 PM   #617
Lotesse
of the House of FĂ«anor

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
FYI

The lex talionis "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth" was a limitation of revenge in a culture which would happily kill every relative to your second or third cousin once removed in response to a perceived injury or physical injury.

So the lex talionis was a restriction of revenge. The Code of Hammurabi does much the same.
That was interesting! Thanx 4 this bit of info, Inked - very cool.

Martin Luther King, Jr. said "An eye for an eye leaves everyone blind." He had a good point - and actually, he was a pretty devout Christian. I think the eye for an eye thing is an old Judaeic law, from the Torah, no? Someone Jewish correct me on this, but I swear that's what I remember. Old Testament Law, right?

And incidentally, this thread is entitled "Muslims," implying it ought to be a discussion on understanding Muslims en masse, and their religion, and their collective motivations, etcetera, but it seems to me that this thread has gone to side A versus side B arguing about how bad and terrible Muslims are, and that really SUX, you guys. Not all the Muslims of the planet want to strap bombs to their chests and blow up the Western world.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 02-13-2006, 07:08 PM   #618
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
And i dare say that most christians are not living like the jesus of the bible did. But does that make them non-christian or wrong?
In brief, the answer is yes. In whatever way we don't conform to Jesus, we are wrong. He is the righteous standard.

Jesus said, "I am the way." He also said that people must follow him. If people refuse to follow him, or become content with keeping some parts of their lives to themselves and not surrendering those parts of themselves to Jesus, then yes, they aren't Christians. Or at least they are wrong. At best they're only part Christians. Every part of our lives must become like God. As Jesus said, "be perfect, as my Father in heaven is perfect."
Quote:
Also if hundreds of millions of muslims believe a certain way then who are you OR spock OR I to tell them no you cant think that way because thats not the Islam I see in "history" books and on the news.
I'm not telling them they can't think that way. I'm just saying that it's not the Islam Muhammad preached and practiced.
Quote:
But its IN THE BIBLE. And millions of CHRISTIANS use it and other bible references as justification for revenge killing.
And I don't know if you're aware of the fact, but in the Bible during Jesus' temptation, Satan came to him and started quoting scriptures from the Old Testament to try to lead him astray. The Bible itself readily acknowledges that scriptures can be used inappropriately.

Old 02-13-2006, 07:13 PM   #619
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
The code of Hammurabi was the first codification of legislation that we know of, and I always had this idea that the biblical stuff was based at least in part upon the Babylonian legislation, but I could be remembering wrong. In any case, the CoH was the first to put in place a systematic means of 'justice', and part of that was the 'innocent until proven guilty' concept, which we now accept as norm. So in essence, you are correct with regards to the CoH, although it was not so much a restriction, as it was an implementation of a structure.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:58 PM   #620
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

HELLO, remember I said Christianity relies on mostly the New Testament.

Islam hasn't changed it's 'rules' in centuries.
Closed Thread