Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-25-2003, 12:26 AM   #41
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
I've seen some programs like what Hobbit is talking about on the History Channel, but they are more like the "histories mysteries" shows and sometimes as other shows, but they never say "the pyramids were built by aliens" for a fact, they just convey different viewpoints and evidence and stuff...
Yes - on Histories Mysteries they show interesting things - but they're not documentaries and as you said - they never portray them as fact. It's like Roswell - they'll have Roswell on Histories Mysteries, I'm trying to think of of some of the other Histories Mysteries I've seen.
Quote:

As far as Atlantis, the most widely held and accepted theory of where it could have been is the Island of Thera and the inner sea of it, as they have collected so many artifacts from within that sea and up onto the bank where volcanic activity was widely known. They have also uncovered an ancient city underneath it all
Yeah - I've seen that one about Atlantis. The history Channel also has "History from the Bible" or something too - which are interesting.

BoP - we can't get to the links. They used a post not a get command.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 12:59 AM   #42
zinnite
Elven Warrior

I think the History Channel used to show Leonard Nimoy's 'In Search Of...' which is a pretty credulous "let's go find some aliens and the Loch Ness Monster" kind of show. I've haven't watched the channel for a long time, and I don't think it's on anymore.
Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
As for JFK - I don't even think he was that great of a president. I think he had a lot of charisma. I can't wait until I don't have to hear anything about "America's royal family". I did not care when John "John" died and although I think it is important to remember the death of Kennedy - Lincoln was a much more importan president. Kennedy had looks - but he made the US government a family affair.
He was a pretty mediocre president, as well as the first one made-for-television. He had charm, glamour, and the right family; otherwise he wouldn't rate higher in the American memory than McKinley.
"WHERE? WHERE?"
"Oh. Well, it blazes up from a crimson-sheathed visage brooding darkly above the haunted towers of impotent indignity which, like melons hovering unhappily over lifetimes of empty meaning which-"
"THE ADDRESS!"
"Oh. Oh, I didn't notice. But look for a brooding, glaring trail of cosmic fury rising from a crimson-sheathed visage-"
They lead him back to his car, and send him on. -- Philip K. Dick

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." -- Diderot
zinnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 01:04 AM   #43
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by zinnite
I think the History Channel used to show Leonard Nimoy's 'In Search Of...' which is a pretty credulous "let's go find some aliens and the Loch Ness Monster" kind of show. I've haven't watched the channel for a long time, and I don't think it's on anymore.
That was the Discovery Channel I think - not the History Channel.
Quote:

He was a pretty mediocre president, as well as the first one made-for-television. He had charm, glamour, and the right family; otherwise he wouldn't rate higher in the American memory than McKinley.
agreed.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-25-2003, 01:26 AM   #44
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
That was the Discovery Channel I think - not the History Channel.
Nope, I've seen that Nimoy show on the History Channel as well...

Then later on the History Channel made a modern version of it called "In search of history" which unfortunately transformed into "Histories Mysteries"...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 01:54 AM   #45
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Stupid thing. Just search for "alien" and "crop circles" then. What I basically found was that you guys were both right in a sense - Tristan was right in that they had the docos, but you were right in the sense that they didn't *seem* to be the flakey ones that make it on to discovery ( ).
Old 11-25-2003, 01:57 AM   #46
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
Nope, I've seen that Nimoy show on the History Channel as well...

Then later on the History Channel made a modern version of it called "In search of history" which unfortunately transformed into "Histories Mysteries"...
Is that what happened? I have 300 400 channels and about 15 documentary channels. It's hard to keep track of them all. I flip so much between History Channel, History International, Discovery, Science Channel and the Health Channel , the latter two are easier to tell apart from the others, but it's hard to keep the others apart.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-25-2003 at 02:00 AM.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:15 AM   #47
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

yeah, in search of was definitely on history channel.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 06:28 PM   #48
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

All the classical music stations the other night were playing the Mozart Requiem in Kennedy's honor. Now that is a wonderful gesture, apparently they've been doing it for a while.

"Most people never been to Hell," Jacob said.

She looked at him and he could hear the smile in her voice. "And I suppose you have?"
Ornelírë Mistë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 06:34 PM   #49
gdl96
the greg the admin

History Channel has been playing a marathon of crazy alien documentaries and such all day.

Do you know what this means?

Tristan was right!
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 06:57 PM   #50
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by gdl96
History Channel has been playing a marathon of crazy alien documentaries and such all day.

Do you know what this means?

Tristan was right!
He can't be right - it's impossible. Since when has Tristan been right?

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-24-2004, 02:16 PM   #51
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

So does anybody else think its sick to have a video game of the JFK assasination???

Oh, for you Oliver Stone fans... History channel put to rest any question about a second shooter. There were three shots, one shooter... Oswald.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:53 PM   #52
inked
Elf Lord

Yes. I think it's pretty wierd.

On an interesting historical note, CS Lewis and Alduous Huxley also died on this date. In fact all 3 men died within hours of each other. Peter Kreeft has an imaginary conversation amongst them on philosophical and moral issues in the book BETWEEN HEAVEN AND HELL which may interest some students of history and/or philosophy.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 04:53 PM   #53
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog
So does anybody else think its sick to have a video game of the JFK assasination???
yeah - it is pretty sick.
Quote:
Oh, for you Oliver Stone fans... History channel put to rest any question about a second shooter. There were three shots, one shooter... Oswald.
Oliver Stone was on the news last night discussing his new movie and that video game. He thinks the only true story to the JFK shooting is his and that everyone else is lying. He insists that Oswald did not kill JFK and that the History channel is lying with that documentary. Oliver Stone - the softer gentler Michael Moore.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 02-08-2005, 01:31 PM   #54
EarthBound
Lady Tipple & Queen of Blessed Thistle

Noticed the thread and thought to add...JFK won the electorial vote but lost the Popular vote to Nixon...sound familiar? No one goes on and on and on about that election, though. Sheesh. Seems one sided.

The video game is SICK!!!!

One of the top fella's involved with the investigation of JFK's assination lived a couple miles from our town home. He wrote a book, I think, several years ago. He was convinced there was another shooter from behind the fence. Eye wittness even to the fact. Who knows. Sad to see a good man, father, husband, leader killed like that. It's just not right.

OT -- remember when that fellow tried to kill the pope (198?), the pope later forgave that fellow...what a guy. That's why he rides around in the Pope-Mobile now, that bullet-proof glasses car-thingy.

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Ben Franklin

I want my Mooter T-Shirt!
EarthBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 02:31 PM   #55
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound
Noticed the thread and thought to add...JFK won the electorial vote but lost the Popular vote to Nixon...sound familiar? No one goes on and on and on about that election, though. Sheesh. Seems one sided.
I dare say it has something to do with:
1. The election was 45 years ago...
2. Nixon later became president anyway.
3. Nixon resigned in disgrace... But you can defend him for being robbed if you like.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 02:50 PM   #56
EarthBound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
I dare say it has something to do with:
1. The election was 45 years ago...
2. Nixon later became president anyway.
3. Nixon resigned in disgrace... But you can defend him for being robbed if you like.
Funny how no one finds this funny but me....I must be sick or something *cough cough*

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Old 02-08-2005, 03:04 PM   #57
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

oh that reminds me. I forgot to add:

4. Kennedy got assasinated...

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 03:18 PM   #58
EarthBound

I was trying to offer NEW information for discussion, see if anyone knew more about any public outcry over the similiar election stats (at the time) for comparison. No big if no one got that. I'm outa here...

Happy to be here

Old 02-08-2005, 03:33 PM   #59
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

John F. Kennedy
pop vote = 49.7% (34,226,731)
electorial vote = 303

Richard M. Nixon
pop vote = 49.5% (34,108,157)
electorial vote = 219

JFK won both the popular and electorial vote... that said, popular vote margin was very small and nixon did complain of being "robbed"

a good article
Old 02-08-2005, 03:58 PM   #60
EarthBound

everytime I edit, it repost instead....how do I delete a post?

Happy to be here

Last edited by EarthBound : 02-08-2005 at 04:04 PM.