Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-04-2003, 03:09 PM   #41
Ruinel
Banned

Elven girl, I was always taught that Francis Scott Key wrote the anthem during the War of 1812.

......The Brits wanted the US back, bad. They put the screws to us by blocking our ships from trade to other countries. So, we beat the crap out of them a second time.

EDIT: took out false info about the fall of Napoleon. Sorry... like I said... I am a horrible history student.

Last edited by Ruinel : 07-05-2003 at 10:18 AM.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 03:59 PM   #42
Ararax
Elven Warrior

um ruinel Napoleon didnt fall till after the war started, in fact he prevented the britsh from sending their full force agaisnt us during the war of 1812
Old 07-04-2003, 09:06 PM   #43
Estel13
RPG-aholic Psycho

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!!!!
*singsloudlyandoffkey*
"Oooohhhh saaaay, caaaan yoooouuuu seeeee, byyyy the dawn's early liiight..."
Old 07-04-2003, 09:44 PM   #44
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
Elven girl, I was always taught that Francis Scott Key wrote the anthem during the War of 1812.

The War of 1812 was all because of the fall of Napoleon. The Brits wanted the US back, bad. They put the screws to us by blocking our ships from trade to other countries. So, we beat the crap out of them a second time.

what the hell, you attacked us because you wanted Canada to be part of the USA. we just ddefended ouselves and won. Also, we burnt down your white house, but you rebuilt it.

anywho, HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY, enjy the fireworks, if you can

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 09:54 PM   #45
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

What u talking about Gollum. The British did that (burnt down the white house).

Runiel is right except for the stuff about Napolean being defeated. Britain was blocking our ships from trading with France (and stealing our ships, crews, and cargo)and France was blocking our ships from trading with Britain. We tried to stay neutral, but they wouldn't let us and we were forced to kick Britian's arse once again.

I don't remember us attacking Canada in the war of 1812 Gollum. We did in the Revolutionary war and that was because YOU WERE OWNED BY BRITAIN. We took Montreal and Canada came VERY CLOSE to being the 14th colony, but we didn't take Qubec (darn).

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 09:58 PM   #46
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
What u talking about Gollum. The British did that (burnt down the white house).

Runiel is right except for the stuff about Napolean being defeated. Britain was blocking our ships from trading with France (and stealing our ships, crews, and cargo)and France was blocking our ships from trading with Britain. We tried to stay neutral, but they wouldn't let us and we were forced to kick Britian's arse once again.

I don't remember us attacking Canada in the war of 1812 Gollum. We did in the Revolutionary war and that was because YOU WERE OWNED BY BRITAIN. We took Montreal and Canada came VERY CLOSE to being the 14th colony, but we didn't take Qubec (darn).

meh, thats what i was taught, and since we were part of Britain we burnt down your White house, so deal with it

Lemmings

Swron

Old 07-04-2003, 10:01 PM   #47
HOBBIT

Um whatever man but if there were any Canadian troops involved in burning the White House they only were there because they were loyal subjects of Great Britain. Canada was not an independant country then - a colony under the complete control of Britain.

I don't think they were involved in the burning down of the white house though. British troops in the british army did it - not Canadian troops. Show me proof.

Maybe they marched down from Canada? Still, they were British.

I think they came in from the east coast to attack Washington DC if I remember correctly though.

I'll go look it up.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Old 07-04-2003, 10:10 PM   #48
HOBBIT

I JUST LOOKED IT UP

Gollum - you either did not understand what you were being taught, or you were taught wrong.

I just looked it up - and no mentions of Canadians anywhere in the burning down of the British. Canada was not involved at all.

And I was right - the attack did not come down from Canada either.

Here is a detailed account of the attack on Washington - no mention of Canada or Canadians whatsoever.
http://www.tc-solutions.com/croom/1812.html

And here is the official account by the British on the attack on Washington - again no mention of Cananda or Canadians.
http://www.warof1812.net/

If there were any Candians there at all - which I could NOT FIND ANY MENTION OF THERE BEING ANY, it is completely untrue to say "the Candians burnt down the White House"

Complete rubbish, my friend.

Old 07-04-2003, 10:12 PM   #49
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Quote:
I JUST LOOKED IT UP

Gollum - you either did not understand what you were being taught, or you were taught wrong.

I just looked it up - and no mentions of Canadians anywhere in the burning down of the British. Canada was not involved at all.

And I was right - the attack did not come down from Canada either.

Here is a detailed account of the attack on Washington - no mention of Canada or Canadians whatsoever.
http://www.tc-solutions.com/croom/1812.html

And here is the official account by the British on the attack on Washington - again no mention of Cananda or Canadians.
http://www.warof1812.net/

If there were any Candians there at all - which I could NOT FIND ANY MENTION OF THERE BEING ANY, it is completely untrue to say "the Candians burnt down the White House"

Complete rubbish, my friend.
meh, i was taught it in Spetember anyways. and who said we were friends

Lemmings

Swron

Old 07-04-2003, 10:17 PM   #50
HOBBIT

Great school systems up there then - teaching false History

We did try to invade Canada 3 times though I see - and Canadians did not defend the land (which was completely useless at the time and basically only a few cities - mostly full of ice , beavers, and mouse) - British troops defended it. The British controlled Canada at that time.

Old 07-04-2003, 10:19 PM   #51
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Quote:
Great school systems up there then - teaching false History

We did try to invade Canada 3 times though I see - and Canadians did not defend the land (which was completely useless at the time and basically only a few cities - mostly full of ice , beavers, and mouse) - British troops defended it. The British controlled Canada at that time.

what is wrong with the beaver. the beaver is a true and noble animal. Anyways, there was one time when you attacked us, it was a group of Irish americans who thpught they were doing us a favor, and the farmers defended themselves because they did not want to be American

Lemmings

Swron

Old 07-04-2003, 10:25 PM   #52
HOBBIT

Weren't they right? They only thought they were liberating you from the British. And you guys think that you burnt down the white house - which you did not.

Old 07-04-2003, 10:29 PM   #53
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Why would we want to be American. You guys only want us so you can be the worlds largest country. Tell ya what, why dont you join Canada

Lemmings

Swron

Old 07-04-2003, 10:30 PM   #54
HOBBIT

It was just a colony that Britain was leeching off of.

Old 07-04-2003, 10:36 PM   #55
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Quote:
It was just a colony that Britain was leeching off of.

key word being was, so tell yah what, just join canada and be happy for once, Do it today, and we will celebrate july 4th as the day america came to its senses and joined us, that way we get 2 holidays in 1 week

Lemmings

Swron

Old 07-05-2003, 01:22 AM   #56
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Let me set some records straight here....

First the US will never become part of Canada - although Canada and it's provinces have talked about becoming part of the United States (the latest time being during the Quebec mess). British Columbia as well as several other provinces publicly stated that if Quebec split from Canada they would join the United States.

Second - We did not attack you until Britain attacked us. Britain got us into the War of 1812 - and since you were/are a British possession - they were using you for supplies, also to attack our northern border. It made perfect sense for us to attack you.

Third - as has been stated - Napolean was not defeated prior to Britain attacking us. Actually we were on the side of Napolean since they were fighting the British and we were fighting the British. Thanks to Napolean's army - Britain could not unleash their full military on us. Also thanks to Napolean - we got the Louisiana Terroritory (prior to the war) - which makes up half of the continental United States.

Fourth - Britain never actually captured Washington. They burned it - but did not capture it. They fled to their ships and never held the city. I also don't think the White House was burnt to the ground. It was damaged and Dolly Madison did save the portrait of George Washington.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 02:56 AM   #57
HOBBIT

Well, they were ordered not to hold the city (thats what I found when I researched it). I'm not sure if it burnt to the ground, the fire damaged it enough that it had to be rebuilt. A big rain storm saved the city, but the white house and capital building burnt down, i believe. they were just rebuilt. She saved it before she evacuated the White House - not after the damage was done.

Old 07-05-2003, 03:11 AM   #58
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Well, they were ordered not to hold the city (thats what I found when I researched it). I'm not sure if it burnt to the ground, the fire damaged it enough that it had to be rebuilt. A big rain storm saved the city, but the white house and capital building burnt down, i believe. they were just rebuilt. She saved it before she evacuated the White House - not after the damage was done.
I know she saved the paining before the British arrived. She made sure it was removed from the White House. As I said - I wasn't sure how much damage was done to the White House itself. I had, however, heard that there were fierce tornadoes in Washington - which forced the British out. I haven't really studied the 1812 era. I suppose I need to. My goal is to read at least one biolgraphy of every president.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 07-05-2003 at 03:13 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 07:55 AM   #59
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
I suppose I need to. My goal is to read at least one biolgraphy of every president.
Millard Fillmore?

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 08:44 AM   #60
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel

Yes, well I found that out for myself while studying history after I finished school.

Did you know the flag that inspired Frances Scott Key to write the song did not actually fly all night. There had been a much smaller flag flying above the fort during the fight and in the morning when we had won, we took down the small flag and raised a huge American Flag, which Mr. Key then saw and was inspired to with his song.

I thought that was kind of interesting

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote