Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-10-2003, 08:01 PM   #41
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

That "Day of the Dove" was a hoot when Chekov did his Russian warrior and Sulu (sp?) did some kind of ethnic ridiculousness also!. The episode that made me howl the most was the one where Spock mind-melded with the rocks, and was crying "The Pain, the sadness", and emoting rock anguish! Hoo! that was rich!

SGH, do you remember the fall Star Trek started, they ran those promo's about it being an "adult" show! Shana's outfit was rather "adult", but the show lost that edge pretty quick! Too camp!
Old 05-10-2003, 08:01 PM   #42
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Heehee. I have always loved Star Trek. I even shook hands once with Gene Roodenberry.
Cool

I'm more of a Star Trek movie fan (mainly 'cos Brit TV always makes a mess of the scheduling for the series').

I remember reading somewhere that Mr Rodenberry is the only person to be buried in space. (or rather, had his urn cast into space)

*wonders why a Star Trek thread never materialised before*

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 08:07 PM   #43
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
That "Day of the Dove" was a hoot when Chekov did his Russian warrior and Sulu (sp?) did some kind of ethnic ridiculousness also!. The episode that made me howl the most was the one where Spock mind-melded with the rocks, and was crying "The Pain, the sadness", and emoting rock anguish! Hoo! that was rich!

SGH, do you remember the fall Star Trek started, they ran those promo's about it being an "adult" show! Shana's outfit was rather "adult", but the show lost that edge pretty quick! Too camp!
Yeah, I remember all that. I was only12 or so, but I remember. Star Trek was the first show to have an inter racial kiss and there was a lot of complaining about that I remember. It was between Kirk and Uhura in "Plato's Stepchildren.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 08:10 PM   #44
Ruinel
Banned

SGH: I remember the buzzing sound. But I don't remember what Kirk was supposed to accomplish for those people.

I don't have the knowledge you have. That's for sure. But I bought some of the Star Trek christmas ornaments, the ships. I bought some small tree lights and (eventually) I'm going to hang them from the ceiling, positioning them so it looks like a battle. Ok, is that hokey... sorry... I'm immature.

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
It has it's own forum I think. SGH wants this thread here. And here it shall remain until she wishes it gone. HARUMPH!

BTW, the Monty Python's Flying Circus series used to come on PBS here and I'd watch that show no matter what time of the night it came on. Damn that show was funny!
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 08:10 PM   #45
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Cool

I'm more of a Star Trek movie fan (mainly 'cos Brit TV always makes a mess of the scheduling for the series').

I remember reading somewhere that Mr Rodenberry is the only person to be buried in space. (or rather, had his urn cast into space)

I liked the Next Generation movies. Didn't care for the Star Trek Classic movies.

I believe that Gene Roodenberry was taken up on one of the space shuttles, or his ashes were.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 05-10-2003, 08:11 PM   #46
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, I remember all that. I was only12 or so, but I remember. Star Trek was the first show to have an inter racial kiss and there was a lot of complaining about that I remember. It was between Kirk and Uhura in "Plato's Stepchildren.
Oh, yeah... I think I know which episode that is... wasn't that where the crew is trapped on some planet of Greek Gods? And there's this midget there who ends up helping the crew.
Old 05-10-2003, 08:13 PM   #47
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

She (Uhura) was in town a month or so ago, doing a promo with an oldies radio station. She talked about that kiss, and also mentioned that she had gone to some function right after the show started and told Martin Luther King that she was thinking of quiting. He gave her a big talk about how the show was so good because it broke the racial stereotypes, so she stayed.
Old 05-10-2003, 08:16 PM   #48
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
I liked the Next Generation movies. Didn't care for the Star Trek Classic movies.
I liked some of the Classic movies, but to be honest, more for their comic moments than the actual storylines (IV in particular)

The NG movies are a bit above the normal cut of sci-fi films (great cast etc). I've got Nemesis (alledgedly the last NG movie) on DVD....'tis ok, but as the swansong for the NG crew, a bit of a let-down

Beatallica
Old 05-10-2003, 08:19 PM   #49
Ruinel
Banned

Wow. I can't imagine that show without her.

There was this episode where she, Kirk, McCoy, and mmmm... maybe Scottie ... anyway they were switched with Alternate Universe duplicates of themselves who were ruthless. Funny how they were switched, but their clothes were different. Which made no sense to me. Anyhooo.... Ohura has to play with Sulu and keep his attention while the rest of the trapped crew did something or other, then she cuts him with a knife....

Can't recall how they got back to the 'real' Enterprise, though.
Old 05-10-2003, 08:20 PM   #50
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
She (Uhura) was in town a month or so ago, doing a promo with an oldies radio station. She talked about that kiss, and also mentioned that she had gone to some function right after the show started and told Martin Luther King that she was thinking of quiting. He gave her a big talk about how the show was so good because it broke the racial stereotypes, so she stayed.
*staying on the social contributions of Star Trek*

Alledgedly: Gene Rodenberry recieved a letter from the USSR Kremlin enquiring why there was no Russian member of the Enterprise crew...........Rodenberry took note........and wrote Pavel Chekov into the show!

The TV company weren't too keen on the idea........but Rodenberry was nothing if not true to his ideas.

Beatallica

Last edited by Coney : 05-10-2003 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-10-2003, 08:22 PM   #51
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
I liked some of the Classic movies, but to be honest, more for their comic moments than the actual storylines (IV in particular)

The NG movies are a bit above the normal cut of sci-fi films (great cast etc). I've got Nemesis (alledgedly the last NG movie) on DVD....'tis ok, but as the swansong for the NG crew, a bit of a let-down
I haven't seen Nemisis, but I've seen all the other movies. Some were, as you said, more comic than anything.

BTW, which one was IV?
Old 05-10-2003, 08:24 PM   #52
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
*staying on the social contributions of Star Trek*

Alledgedly: Gene Rodenberry recieved a letter from the USSR Kremlin enquiring why there was no Russian member of the Enterprise crew...........Rodenberry took note........and wrote Pavel Chekov into the show!

The TV company weren't too keen on the idea........but Rodenberry was nothing if not true to his ideas.
I always thought that Chekov was the cutest of all the members. I loved his fake Russian accent, so forbidden.

Now, of course, he's kinda... well, old. Not so cute.
Old 05-10-2003, 08:25 PM   #53
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
I haven't seen Nemisis, but I've seen all the other movies. Some were, as you said, more comic than anything.

BTW, which one was IV?
IV was The Voyage Home..........It's the one where they (Old Crew) travel back in time, modern day as the film was set, to retrieve a couple of hump back whales.

Beatallica
Old 05-10-2003, 08:26 PM   #54
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
IV was The Voyage Home..........It's the one where they (Old Crew) travel back in time, modern day as the film was set, to retrieve a couple of hump back whales.
Oh, yeah.... I didn't like that one.
Old 05-10-2003, 09:44 PM   #55
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Guess I better do the dirty deed and move this to the proper forum before someone complains.

Moving to the Entertainment forum.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 05-10-2003, 10:10 PM   #56
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Captain Picard > Captain Kirk > everybody else
similarly. . .
StarTrek:TNG > StarTrek original > everything else

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 11:13 PM   #57
Silpion
Elven Warrior

I used to think Captain James T. Kirk was the best because he led with a certain flair, and I even refused to watch Star Trek: The Next Generation when it first came out. But, when I swallowed my pride and started to watch it Picard won me over with episodes like "Darmok" when he had to learn to communicate with the alien captain, "The Inner Light" when he re-lived the life of a man in a civilization that was long gone because thier sun died and at the end when he played that flute . . . it got to me, I enjoyed Picards interactions with Q, and Locutus of Borg.
Silpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 11:18 PM   #58
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Oh! I loved that "Inner Light" one. Yeah, I really like Next Generation a lot. It wasn't so funny, but that was good. I loved that one where they play the same poker game over and over in the beginning, caught in a time warp.
Old 05-11-2003, 12:00 AM   #59
Silpion
Elven Warrior

Yeah, Star Trek (the orginal) was funny with Dr. McCoy being catty at Spock and they would always try to one-up the other, or the "pancake" aliens were they landed on some planet and these flying "pancakes" were taking over, and that episode that was mentioned earlier were Spock was clamped to that rock moaning about the pain and the sadness. I think some of the humor was because they didn't have the special effects that they have now. And, even though the cast is acting as if they are in that reality, I as the viewer am sitting at home thinking "That's not a tribble, that's a giant hairball!."

Each captain was effective in both shows, I guess I like the Earl Grey tea drinking, kind-of-grumpy, and somewhat stern Picard better. But, I will always hear Kirk screaming "KHAAAAAAN!"
Silpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 12:24 AM   #60
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Silpion
Yeah, Star Trek (the orginal) was funny with Dr. McCoy being catty at Spock and they would always try to one-up the other, or the "pancake" aliens were they landed on some planet and these flying "pancakes" were taking over, and that episode that was mentioned earlier were Spock was clamped to that rock moaning about the pain and the sadness. I think some of the humor was because they didn't have the special effects that they have now. And, even though the cast is acting as if they are in that reality, I as the viewer am sitting at home thinking "That's not a tribble, that's a giant hairball!."

Each captain was effective in both shows, I guess I like the Earl Grey tea drinking, kind-of-grumpy, and somewhat stern Picard better. But, I will always hear Kirk screaming "KHAAAAAAN!"
Yeah, the one with the flying pancakes was called "Operation Annihilate" That was another terrible episode. The one with Spock mind melding with the rock was called "Devil in the Dark" I liked that one. My favorite Classic Star trek was "This Side of Paradise. I had many others too. One of my all time favorites was "City on the Edge of Forever."

NG, my all time favorite was "The Innerlight" then an episode called "The Survivors"

Travel and Tourism Guide