Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-26-2003, 08:21 PM   #41
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Blackboar! You are going to "make your bones" on the Silmarillion thread, right? (heh heh! ) Which chapter are you doing!
Old 02-26-2003, 10:05 PM   #42
Legolaslvr!
Super Smilie Freak

Location: In the entmoot army, trying to get rid of black and blue!
Quote:
Excuse me, Legolaslvr?
Sorry i thought that I wuz on a different thread!

The fat hobbit hobbit knows!
Legolaslvr! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 04:52 AM   #43
Baby-K
Corruptor

I don't think it's necessarily a question of who does the spamming (we've all been guilty of it at some stage) as much as the amount of time spent on spam. I's easy to get of subject in any given thread, but to continuously post the same comments etc in various different threads does become a bit much (very tiresome for those who need to sift through pages & pages of nonsensical posts, where the main idea is HEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAA WEEEEEEEEEE WOOOOOOOOOO etc).

What bugs me most is the length of some people's sigs (I know I can turn them off & not view them, but I find some people's sigs interesting - especially when they contain links to funny sites and so on). In some cases certain members take up about ½ a page with a post, where their actual message is about 2 words & the rest is a sig.

Perhaps the dilemma of spam posts could be resolved with a chat thread (I know it could be difficult 'cos so few of us are online at the same time, but at least you could answer questions / make comments not related to other threads there & at some stage the intended recipient will see it). This could also help reduce the number of "duh" threads - those with practically zero interest to the majority of the members.

Using the PM system doesn't always work 'cos in some cases you have limits imposed as to the number of PM's you can respond to within a certain time limit (I have to wait 2 minutes after responding to a PM before being able to respond to another).

But I have new-found belief in the 'moot (largely 'cos I dicovered the beauty of an ignore button).

Should I rather have put this on the venting thread???
Old 02-27-2003, 03:15 PM   #44
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

As far as the sigs, I would like to see character limit placed on them.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 03:19 PM   #45
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
Blackboar! You are going to "make your bones" on the Silmarillion thread, right? (heh heh! ) Which chapter are you doing!
Finished!

I'm just about to start again!

SGH, how many chracters would you put the limit too? Is mine too long?
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 03:25 PM   #46
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
SGH, how many chracters would you put the limit too? Is mine too long?
If it were up to me, it would be about 250, or no more than 300, including spaces.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 02-27-2003, 04:03 PM   #47
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Hey well you are part of the resident Valar here. Make it so I say.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 04:15 PM   #48
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
Hey well you are part of the resident Valar here. Make it so I say.
Thanks Rex, but it would be Ben's call. I could suggest it to him.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 02-27-2003, 04:22 PM   #49
Elvedans
Diamond Of The Night Sky

I get annoyed at long sigs too, especially when they don't end up making any point whatsoever. I would also like to go back a page and say just for the record that: It is possible to have seen the film firstand then read the books and like both and still not be a fangirl or a non purist. There i'll leave now...
Elvedans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 04:38 PM   #50
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I don't think that there is anything wrong with being a fangirl. We've all been young and infatuated with a celeberty or other person at sometime in our lives. That's part of growing up. The trouble with it here I think is that this is a board dedicated to the works of JRR Tolkien, and the fandom felt for these actors has overshadowed that with the release of these movies. I am not so sure that some kind of co-existance isn't possible, but it does seem to be causing some problems within the community currently. I think a "actors forum" would be a good solution as I said in the other thread. That way, the serious Tolkien fans that also enjoy discussion in the movie forum would not be exposed to the fangirl behavior. This is Ben's board, and any such changes made is up to him, but I think it would be helpful to the commuity as a whole and everyone then could do their own thing without annoying anyone else. We have another movie to go, so this problem isn't just going to go away anytime soon.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 02-28-2003, 06:56 AM   #51
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I'm not sure a chatroom is the right solution for the problem, I think it will only make things worse. But that's just my opinion. The actorforum may be a better idea. Then the movie forum would be open to those who wish to discuss the movies without constantly having to be reminded how 'hot' the actors are. But anyway...

I have absolutely nothing against newbies. There have been some of them who really amazed me with their knowledge and debating skills. I enjoy those conversations very much. It's just that there have been so many lately that I'm starting to lose track from who's who. The names all start to look alike. But I suppose that can't be helped, the board is constantly growing. And with luck, I'll manage to get back on track.

I don't have anything against fangirls either, it's as SGH said, we all have had our infatuations with certain people. There's nothing wrong with liking the looks of an actress or actor. And I don't blame fangirls for swooning and drooling over a particular actor if they do it in the right threads. It's just that the fangirlgroup seems to be more prone to spam that's bothering me a little.

Perhaps the entmoot is declining but I also think it's partly in our mind. There are only so much things you can say about whether Balrogs have wings or not. For the more veteran posters these discussions soon can get that 'it's been done'-feeling.

But I also agree with Artanis and SGH that if we want the 'deep' conversations back that we had in the past, we'll have to do it ourselves. I know that's easier said than done. I'm not much of a threadstarter myself, I often lack the inspiration for a good topic. Which is why I'm really happy to have the Silmarillion chapter discussion to go to. So far those have been very thought-provoking threads. And I'm hoping we can stay on that level of discussion.
Old 02-28-2003, 08:53 AM   #52
Legolaslvr!
Super Smilie Freak

Location: In the entmoot army, trying to get rid of black and blue!
LoR thinks the Sil is very confusing!

The fat hobbit hobbit knows!
Legolaslvr! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 09:00 AM   #53
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Legolaslvr!
LoR thinks the Sil is very confusing!
Who thinks the Sil is confusing? Anyway, it is. It is a book that requires 100% of your attention when you read it the first time. It is much more complex than LotRs.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 02-28-2003, 09:05 AM   #54
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Who thinks the Sil is confusing? Anyway, it is. It is a book that requires 100% of your attention when you read it the first time. It is much more complex than LotRs.
LoR= Lady of Rohan

The Sil is the most confusing book I have ever read (but that doesn't surprise me as I was forwarned as to how difficult it is). I am going to go on a read-a-thon this week end and try to read a chunk of the book. I was reading it in small bits, and then that got more confusing.
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 09:18 AM   #55
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady of Rohan
LoR= Lady of Rohan

The Sil is the most confusing book I have ever read (but that doesn't surprise me as I was forwarned as to how difficult it is). I am going to go on a read-a-thon this week end and try to read a chunk of the book. I was reading it in small bits, and then that got more confusing.
OK, we are a bit off topic here, but I will make a suggestion that may be helpful. Try to get hold of a good reference guide to use while you read the Sil. Whatever you do, stay away from David Day. He isn't accurate. The best reference guide out there that I know of is "The Complete Guide to Middle-earth: from the Hobbit through the Silmarillion" by Robert Foster. It has a few inaccuracies as well, but is pretty much on the money. A good reference guide can be very helpful with a book like the Sil, but a word of caution: when looking up things, it may give you more information than you want at the time and explain things in the story that you haven't reached yet. that can spoil the story too. So if you use a reference guide, beware, it can both help and hurt.

Now, back to the topic.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 02-28-2003, 09:22 AM   #56
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

Quote:
OK, we are a bit off topic here, but I will make a suggestion that may be helpful. Try to get hold of a good reference guide to use while you read the Sil. Whatever you do, stay away from David Day. He isn't accurate. The best reference guide out there that I know of is "The Complete Guide to Middle-earth: from the Hobbit through the Silmarillion" by Robert Foster. It has a few inaccuracies as well, but is pretty much on the money. A good reference guide can be very helpful with a book like the Sil, but a word of caution: when looking up things, it may give you more information than you want at the time and explain things in the story that you haven't reached yet. that can spoil the story too. So if you use a reference guide, beware, it can both help and hurt.
Thanks for the tip!

And now like you said, Back on topic!

Now, back to the topic.
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 09:33 AM   #57
Legolas_Frodo_Aragorn
The Elven Queen Of All Pyros

Location: Im like a little bug stuck in the lamp...never going anywhere
Quote:
As far as the sigs, I would like to see character limit placed on them.
yea..but if you put a link in..sometimes that have alot of letters...so there is alot on the link...but you only see a couple

Procrastinators Unite!!!.....tomorrrow....

Kids in backseats cause accidents...accidents in backseats cause kids

As long as there are tests..there will be prayers in school
Legolas_Frodo_Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 09:39 AM   #58
Baby-K
Corruptor

I don't see the point of your argument? Maybe I'm just daft, but posting a link only takes a small amount of space (no matter how much is in the link itself - that doesn't take up space on the board) what we were referring to is people who have actual sigs that are seemingly endless rows of absolute bs
Old 02-28-2003, 10:45 AM   #59
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I think what she means is, that if someone wants a link in their sig, they could have it like:

Fake Link

But it would be much longer than that it actuality.

[ URL = http://www.this-site-aint-there.com/...e/nothere.html ] Fake Link [ /URL ]

Extra spaces added to make it visible. But the point is, regardless of how many characters seem to be in the link, there are in all likelihood many more.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 10:53 AM   #60
Baby-K
Corruptor

ok - apologies to LFA for the misunderstanding