Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-27-2002, 02:39 PM   #41
Linarryl
Elven Warrior

Merry had an elven blade and he attacked the Nazgul from behind I think, but he deffinatly had a elven blade. In the book, they found they swords in a Barrow-wight place and they were all elven. Since there was no Barrow-wight in the movie Aragorn must have given them elvish blades.
Linarryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 03:12 PM   #42
theworkhorse
Hobbit

Perhaps Arwen brings them???

I wonder if they will introduce Merry's blade at the same time as Narsil. I have heard, (correct me if I am way off here), that XenArwen comes in TTT right after Helm's deep. She brings Narsil with her. Perhaps Narsil and the Arnor blade are given before the Rohirrim and grey company split. I expect if that is the case, the blade will also be tied in with Merry presenting his sword to Theoden. All of this is conjecture though.
theworkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 08:50 PM   #43
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

What about the whole "I can be slain by no man" thing?
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 01:33 AM   #44
olsonm
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel
What about the whole "I can be slain by no man" thing?
He never said that. "No living man may hinder me." That's what he said. Glorfindel foresaw; "not by the hand of man shall he fall."

Merry did not have an elven blade in the book. It was a Numenorean (Arnor) blade. I've read in reviews of the Special edition that:
Merry, Pippin and Sam get elven blades in the gift-giving scene. So Merry will have an elven blade in the movie.
Old 10-28-2002, 02:06 AM   #45
Millane
The Dude

right you are olsonm, they do get them then... i knew that it wasnt something that jackson overlooked coz i was having a look at the FotR concept art and it had merry and pippins elvish plades in there... i just dont know why they didnt pull them on the Uruks at the end.???
Old 10-28-2002, 02:40 AM   #46
olsonm
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Millane
i just dont know why they didnt pull them on the Uruks at the end.???
They did. You can see them stabbing their weapons just after Boromir arrives. But it is extremely quick. Special editon shows more of them fighting at Amon Hen.
Old 10-28-2002, 09:09 AM   #47
Millane
The Dude

are you sure they are elvish blades... have a look at what merry and pippins daggers look like in the concept art.. i thought they were just the ones that aragorn gave them at Amon Sul
Old 10-29-2002, 01:50 AM   #48
olsonm
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Millane
are you sure they are elvish blades... have a look at what merry and pippins daggers look like in the concept art.. i thought they were just the ones that aragorn gave them at Amon Sul
They get something, whether it's blades or sheaths. Either way they use them at Amon Hen. The Special Edition will extend that scene to show more clearly that Merry and Pippin draw their weapons (and use them).
Old 10-29-2002, 08:39 AM   #49
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

Location: Pennsylvania, but I have a vacation home in the Westfarthing.
looking back about 20 posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Gerbil
How can anyone be allowed to do a test and be online at the same time?
What's the test in? See who uses search engines most effectively to get the answer?
I've tried!
No, seriously, it was a programming test. We weren't really supposed to be using the internet, but it wasn't like I was getting help from the Entmooter's Programming Support Thread .

Anyway, regardless of what swords M&P have, and regardless of who really did the Witch-King in in the book, I think it most likely that Eowyn will kill the Witch-King, because it will be easiest to show and explain.
Remember, the audience that will recieve this is the same group of people who (true story) said behind me on the way out of the theater "...that was horrible. There wasn't an end! They just stopped! There was no end!".
The audience that the Witch-King's battle has to be explained to is the same group that cried when Gandalf died, saying "he was my favorite character! I can't believe he's dead..."

Aure Entuleva!

John Kerry for President!
Beleg Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 10:45 PM   #50
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

There's Something about Merry.

They can't completely eliminate Merry from the fight scene, because his action is not only crucial to the slaying of the witch king, but also to his own character developpement.

Merry is actually really tough and smart. I was disappointed when the scene in Bree where Merry has a close encounter with a Nazgul was removed. Merry is hardcore, and you don't quite see that in the movie. It is way harder to be subtle in a movie, but Merry's knee stabbing action is a great way to develop his character a bit more. Not to mention, advance the plot.

Merry lives!
Old 10-31-2002, 08:33 AM   #51
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

There may be something about Merry, but we won't see it.

I agree that it would be a good idea to have Merry get some knee-stabbing action for all the reasons you said.
My point remains though that Eowyn slaying the WK is easier to explain to the unEntmooted masses .

Aure Entuleva!

Old 10-31-2002, 02:59 PM   #52
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Sad but true.

You're probably right Beleg, it's the sad truth. Entmoot for all!
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 11-01-2002, 08:39 AM   #53
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

it's too bad, isn't it.
I wish there was a movie for Tolkien fans. It could consist entirely of EXACTLY what the book said... but perhaps that's unrealistic.

Congrats on Elven Warrior status Nurvingiel!

Aure Entuleva!

Old 11-01-2002, 08:31 PM   #54
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Thanks!

Thanks dude! Apparently, Peter Jackson wanted to do it in six movies, but Hollywood nixed it.

I don't think it's an unrealistic idea, personally, I would sit down and watch a 4 hour FOTR if it had all the Old-Forest stuff in it.

It's simply a question of what Hollywood thinks we should watch.

Cheerio!
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 11-04-2002, 03:29 PM   #55
Eowyn of Rohan
Enting

How will Merry slay the Witch-King?

He won't. He'll simply stab him in the back of the knee. Eowyn will slay him (with Merry's distracting help, of course.)
Eowyn of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 03:59 PM   #56
Eowyn of Rohan
Enting

Okay... my last entry was shallow, but I read an old posting about this the other evening and it took me a few minutes to locate it again.
The posting is copyrighted so I can't copy it, but if you are really interested in a GREAT well written and heavily researched opinion on this topic (discusses Merry's blade, who struck the final blow, the prophecy, etc.) then I highly suggest taking a look here.

http://www.sf-fandom.com/xoa/white_c...ve_11/2361.htm
Eowyn of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote