Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-18-2002, 09:32 PM   #41
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Elves are fading in LOTR. It is by definition (no more incarnate evil) the last "fairy tale," the end of the mythos. That's why elves are passing they are no longer fully a part of Arda. Of course Arwen is important as all Elf-Man unions are important parts of Middle Earth. It also serves as one of those useful refelctions of the elder years that pop up in LOTR. However the two characters aren't comparable, except in the sense that they both aid resistance to Sauron. Their Morning and Evening after all.

PJs fiddling with the mythology to sell tickets doesn't bother me, it's a movie, not "canon." In the movie Aragorn is made much more important, as it's an easy story to latch on to. In the book the characters motivations are beneath the surface. Just read the passage about Aragorn walking through Lorien, it shows the center of his life, without spelling it out for us.
Old 08-22-2002, 10:58 AM   #42
Reumandar
Elven Warrior

Location: The Land of Fire and Ice ('Tis a country You will never guess it)
I can't choose they are both great and at the ford isnt it Arwen that helps Gandalf make the river do that? and Éowyn is also very cool but TĂ*nuveil was the greatest
( in my opinion )
I also like Hippo's

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Then Thorondor bore up Glorfindel's
body out of the abyss, and they buried
him in a mound of stones beside the
pass; and a green turf came there, and
yellow flowers bloomed upon it amid the
barrenness of stone, until the world
was changed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh Potter you Rotter, Oh what have you done
Your killing off the students, you think it's good fun
Reumandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 11:52 AM   #43
Sween
im quite stupid

acctually all arewn ever does in the book is knitt a nice banner for aragorn but lets not get into that 1 (again)
Old 08-22-2002, 04:54 PM   #44
BeardofPants
the Shrike

And give up her mortality.
Old 08-22-2002, 05:02 PM   #45
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Nice try BoP

Galadriel has to be my choice. She is powerful, but also wise and noble. She acts for herself. Arwen is merely supporting Aragorn. That just don't do it for me.

Last edited by Artanis : 08-22-2002 at 05:14 PM.
Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 05:31 PM   #46
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Oh no... don't try and tar me with that brush! I'm with Galadriel all the way!
Old 08-22-2002, 06:16 PM   #47
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

wow, people are actually answering to this! well, i think that galadriel is better as you know...

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 02:47 PM   #48
Celandine
Elven Warrior

arwen definnetly got to much, if you fell like arguing, pm willow oran, she will deffinitly argue

just kidding willow won't argue she doesn't have anything against arwen.

Last edited by Celandine : 08-30-2002 at 03:11 PM.
Celandine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 03:13 PM   #49
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

I will? Celandine, try consulting me before you say these things. I happen to like Arwen. It's not her fault the movie people made her do what she did. I think that assuming any conflict between Galadriel and Arwen is pointless. Remember that in the book Arwen lived in Lothlorien for many years which would imply that she was fairly close to her Grandparents. If I remember rightly Aragorn asks Galadriel for her blessing on his marriage to Arwen in the book. They're both very different characters and are to my mind completely uncomparable. I like both of them equally and I'm glad that the movie is developing Arwen's character more. I just wish they could have done it in a way that didn't involve her upstaging Glorfindel. You know, I think that if The characters were real people and read this they would probably be appalled that we throw insults at them and try to decide who's better.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 08:26 PM   #50
Galendhol Asada
Hobbit

Location: Either in Northern Mirkwood, Rivendell, Lothlorien, or in Battle somewhere else and maybe even a an Entmoot party
Strider

Being the fact that Galadriel is Arwen's grandmother and the fact that Arwen didn't even have half the parts in the book than she had in the movie, I think they gave Arwen too much credit. But then again they gave Galadriel too much credit also, but they stayed truer to the book with Galadriel so I dunno. hahahaha.

Pic of Frodo holding Ring sent, you want any pics of LOTR of CAoC screenshots let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rings.jpg (6.3 KB, 28 views)
Old 09-01-2002, 08:29 PM   #51
Galendhol Asada
Hobbit

Location: Either in Northern Mirkwood, Rivendell, Lothlorien, or in Battle somewhere else and maybe even a an Entmoot party
Strider

Quote:
Originally posted by Reumandar
I can't choose they are both great and at the ford isnt it Arwen that helps Gandalf make the river do that? and Éowyn is also very cool but TĂ*nuveil was the greatest
( in my opinion )
I also like Hippo's
No it's Galadriel that helps Elrond. Neither Gandalf nor Arwen had part in that.
Old 09-01-2002, 09:53 PM   #52
Caleb
Hobbit

Um im sorry to bust you bubble, but frankly mr. Galendhol Asada it is evident to me you have never seen the movie or read the books (unless you have some extremly misprinted edition). Gandalf does have a part in creating the flood, he even says he does. He created the white horses in the water. Galadriel had know part to do with it whatsoever. Just a little FYI.
Old 09-01-2002, 09:54 PM   #53
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
No it's Galadriel that helps Elrond. Neither Gandalf nor Arwen had part in that.
No, Elrond floods the river on his own, (unless I missed something when I was reading that part,) and Gandalf adds on those horses made of water that decorate the flood. Neither ladies have a part in the flooding of the river. The movie gives both Arwen and Galadriel far larger roles than they originally had. For arwen it's obvious what they changed and for Galadriel they didn't so much change her part as give most of Celeborn's lines to her and cut all of what he did so that it looked as if Galadriel did and said more than she actually did.

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 09-01-2002, 10:05 PM   #54
Sauron's Nagging Wife
Enting

I think Galadriel's history from the Silmarillion and UT is much richer and more well-defined than the little we know about Arwen.

In addition, Galadriel is a Noldo Queen while Arwen is Peredhil. For me, that's a big difference.

Read about the Lady Legrace
Sauron's Nagging Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 09:49 PM   #55
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
In addition, Galadriel is a Noldo Queen while Arwen is Peredhil. For me, that's a big difference.
That's sort of mean, and it isn't all that accurate either. Galadriel never took the title of queen. She was a noldo princess and an extremely powerful women, but while she was certainly capable of being a queen she never actually was. Besides, if you're going to judge them by bloodlines then Arwen would win. She has the blood of both Luthien, and Galadriel plus many, many more who I'm too lazy to list here. I still say that Arwen and Galadriel are equals, though perhaps Galadriel is wiser because of her age and experience.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 09-03-2002, 08:16 AM   #56
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

It's difficult to compare the two. Galadriel is much older, comes from Valinor, she has seen the Trees and learned a few tricks from Melian. Arwen is much younger, she was born after the Last Alliance so in a rather peaceful time. If Arwen had been around as long as Galadriel had been, things would have been different. Besides Elrond was in my eyes always overly protective of his only daughter. He called her home when things started to look a lottle rough so I doubt she had anything better to do than knitting flags.

I don't think they gave either women overly credit in the movie. They changed Arwen's role significantly but that doesn't give her more of less credit in my eyes.
Old 09-04-2002, 10:05 PM   #57
Sauron's Nagging Wife
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by Willow Oran
That's sort of mean

It may be mean (although I don't think so) but it's my opinion. Although she never took the title of queen, Gal. was one of the most powerful elves that returned to Middle-earth. If we are debating semantics, then she is not a "Queen", though she's very queenly.

Arwen is one-fourth Celeborn, unfortunately

Galadriel's life (and Luthien's) was long and full of action and boldness. Arwen's life was short and not very distinguished by much except her beauty and her choice to be mortal.

Read about the Lady Legrace
Sauron's Nagging Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 02:18 PM   #58
Linarryl
Elven Warrior

Galadriel is WAYYY better. (I don't really like Arwen)
Linarryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 06:46 PM   #59
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

Sam Gamgee

Galadriel is better.
Old 10-25-2002, 05:16 AM   #60
Reumandar
Elven Warrior

Location: The Land of Fire and Ice ('Tis a country You will never guess it)
You may be right Sauron's Nagging Wife buuuuuuuuuuuuut...
I think Arwen is cool!!!!
Yeah!!!
P.S.
what does Peredhil mean?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Then Thorondor bore up Glorfindel's
body out of the abyss, and they buried
him in a mound of stones beside the
pass; and a green turf came there, and
yellow flowers bloomed upon it amid the
barrenness of stone, until the world
was changed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh Potter you Rotter, Oh what have you done
Your killing off the students, you think it's good fun

Last edited by Reumandar : 10-25-2002 at 05:21 AM.
Reumandar is offline   Reply With Quote