Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-24-2002, 01:05 PM   #41
Wulažg
Elven Warrior

SSSHHH! Tolkien is supposed to be perfect, he doesn't make "typos", he makes "creative changes" and "points for the readers to ponder upon"
Wulažg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 01:31 PM   #42
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Ummm. Pfft.

He probably got buried under his notes once or twice and had to be dug out more likely.

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 01:32 PM   #43
Lightice
Elven Warrior

Quote:
That and his staff was broken by Gandalf, not destroyed on purpose by the owner. Kinda like a retributive strike with a Staff of the Magi in AD&D. If you break it for retribution there is a huge explosion but otherwise it just breaks.
I don't think, that it matters what's said in AD&D. That's not something applying to LotR...
And I don't think, that there was anything special in that staff, exept that it was symbol of Istari and handy thing to focus spells with. I mean, if someone would have stolen it, it would have been just a stick. It's the carrier which gives the force, not the staff.
Lightice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 01:44 PM   #44
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Well, if someone would have stolen it, they would have had a wizard's staff. Not just a stick.

The staves were objects of power.

It's doubtful that anyone could have used them effectively, but I doubt you'd find any wizards willing to just lay them aside... which would be the case if they were just sticks. After all you can just go pick up another stick anywhere.

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Old 04-24-2002, 06:38 PM   #45
Wulažg
Elven Warrior

My reference to AD&D was merely an example that many here could probably relate to, to facilitate in comrehension with the concept. It was Gandalf's staff, not just some stick. Breaking Saruman's staffotherwise would have done nothing. At the very least they are a symbol of their status(ditto with the beard but not really) and so have some innate power, in one of those subtle "magic" things that Tolkien was so fond of
Old 04-24-2002, 10:22 PM   #46
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I think "wand" might just be taken to mean "staff" in The Hobbit.
Old 04-24-2002, 11:27 PM   #47
Blackheart
Elf Lord

In the original conception he used a wand. It's a bloody anacronism that's what it is!

Old 04-25-2002, 08:05 AM   #48
Elf Girl
Lurker

Maybe he decided that staffs were more effective after The Hobbit, so he went to Staffs-R-Us to get one.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 02:30 PM   #49
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Gollum

What if the staff was -next to a symbol- a sort of battery? Perhaps the wizard could draw power from it when needed, or support for that matter. What'd you say?
Old 04-25-2002, 07:01 PM   #50
Wulažg
Elven Warrior

He changed wand to staff because it was no longer just a children's story and staves are more mature. That and gandalf needed to look weaker as he had to die. Despite the fact that he was shooting white fire out of his hands near the end of RotK. I don't think he needed a battery then.
Old 04-26-2002, 08:42 AM   #51
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Gandalf

I think (like Eärniel) that he did need a battery. Saruman's staff's broke down but he was anyway week. I think that this is the thing that finished the story for him. I think that days before the breaking of the staff he used it to take power, and when Gandalf broke it his powers disapeared.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 09:47 AM   #52
viggosbeard
Elven Warrior

I thought he kept his pipe in it ...
And your ride home
You cant avoid her
Shes in the air
In between molecules
Of Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide
Only in dreams
viggosbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 02:02 PM   #53
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Gandalf

What pipe?? I don't understand.
Old 04-28-2002, 04:46 PM   #54
Wulažg
Elven Warrior

His pipe for smoking pipeweed of course. He had a stash of the good stuff in Orthanc, remember?
Old 04-29-2002, 03:23 AM   #55
viggosbeard
Elven Warrior

Maybe it wasnt Gandalfs love of the hobbits that made him a regular visit to the shire .....Longbottom leaf was stored in the tunnels at Michel Delving.
And your ride home
You cant avoid her
Shes in the air
In between molecules
Only in dreams
Old 04-29-2002, 05:05 PM   #56
Wulažg
Elven Warrior

So was this "pipeweed" a tobacco equivalent, or was it something stronger?

*swipes some pipeweed and futily attempts to hide oversized pipe behind his back*
Old 04-29-2002, 05:38 PM   #57
Occasionally Jay
Enting

I always saw the staff as a tool each wizard chose, and tied themselves up with.

They put a lot of power into it, and could draw it out--it worked just like they expected it to, and with it they could focus. Trying to use someone else's staff would be like trying to wear someone else's shoes: might work for a little while, but the size difference would give you blisters pretty darn quick.

(He's a real hoopy Frodo who always knows where his towel is.)
Occasionally Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 03:30 AM   #58
viggosbeard
Elven Warrior

Who knows how strong pipeweed was - it should be noted though at the breaking of Isengard , Saruman had nicked it all for his army , maybe to keep them more mellow perhaps ? I mean what do Uruk Hai do on their day off , its a recipe for disaster !
And your ride home
You cant avoid her
Shes in the air
In between molecules
Only in dreams
Old 04-30-2002, 04:28 AM   #59
Agburanar
Elf Lord

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but when Gandalf removes most of Saruman's power he does so by breaking Saruman's staff. The staff is a symbol of the wizard's order and seems to entitle them to most of their power. It's probably like a king's sceptre or a general's baton of office.

ROLLING STOCK, WE'RE ROLLING STOCK!!
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 02:41 PM   #60
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Gandalf

Quote:
originally posted by Wulažg

So was this "pipeweed" a tobacco equivalent, or was it something stronger?

*swipes some pipeweed and futily attempts to hide oversized pipe behind his back*
I don't think that the "pipe idea" is the true. I think that if he used the something as a mgical thing to take from it power, it's not a pipe.

Quote:
originally posted by occasionally Jay

I always saw the staff as a tool each wizard chose, and tied themselves up with.

They put a lot of power into it, and could draw it out--it worked just like they expected it to, and with it they could focus. Trying to use someone else's staff would be like trying to wear someone else's shoes: might work for a little while, but the size difference would give you blisters pretty darn quick.
But in the moovieSaruman used in Gandalf's staff, didn't he? (of caurse that in the book Tolkien didn't write it... but still)