Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-07-2004, 03:44 PM   #41
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i realize that... i just think six months is a long time... maybe two?

it seems to happen quite rarely as it is... and the few times i've seen it, it is a new user posting something that would be fairly harmless to let remain
Old 07-07-2004, 03:54 PM   #42
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by brownjenkins
i realize that... i just think six months is a long time... maybe two?

it seems to happen quite rarely as it is... and the few times i've seen it, it is a new user posting something that would be fairly harmless to let remain
Well, if you like, I will be more than happy to ask Ben about bending the rule a little, at least in the book forums especially if everyone thinks that will help bring some needed discussion to the forums.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 04:06 PM   #43
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

why not... thanks
Old 07-07-2004, 05:47 PM   #44
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
BoP (she's a HoMer, right?)...
Indeed, I am. I've read most of 'em, and I own them all, I just haven't gotten around to finishing 'em off.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:54 PM   #45
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Indeed, I am. I've read most of 'em, and I own them all, I just haven't gotten around to finishing 'em off.
Did you do it like you planned, reading them in order from BoLT to PoMe?

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 06:02 PM   #46
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Did you do it like you planned, reading them in order from BoLT to PoMe?
Pretty much. I read from HoME 1-7 thoroughly. However, the LOTR histories are pretty repetitious, so I only really skimmed the last two. And I've read bits and pieces of Morgoth's Ring.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:40 PM   #47
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
I think there will probably be an increase in activity when the white stuff starts falling...
*note to self - get dandruff shampoo*

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 01:48 AM   #48
olsonm
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Pretty much. I read from HoME 1-7 thoroughly. However, the LOTR histories are pretty repetitious, so I only really skimmed the last two.
I felt the same way the first time I read the LOTR histories but I'm currently re-reading them and finding it is far less-so than I thought. Maybe if you ever read them again you'll get through them fully. But you must read the Notion Club Papers (especially the first part) or I will hurt you.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:07 AM   #49
Elanor the Fair
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Yes - and activity in the Tolkien forums is still the best way for us to attract new members. With the tendency of people to come and go as they like, a constant influx of new members is a healthy thing.

So - not that we shun the 'south side' of the board... let's just not neglect the north!

I agree with you Valandil,

I'm a new member - and I was attracted to the site because of the Tolkien discussions.

Keep them active please!!
Old 07-09-2004, 02:01 AM   #50
Elanor the Fair
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Do the Tolkien forums seem more geared for 'Experts'? Are they not 'Novice-friendly' enough? If so, how can we help make them that way?

Ideally, they could become a place where people could LEARN about Tolkien - not just show how much they already know. They should not be intimidating for those who don't know as much as others... and I'm getting the sense that they are. Is that the case? And... like I asked, how can we fix it?
Valandil,

Sorry to reply a second time, however, while I am quite computer literate, I have never been on any chat lines or forums before and I can't work out how to include more than one quote in my reply!! Does this mean I am spamming?? I'm so confused!!

Firstly, thank you for your concern about keeping the forums novice-friendly. I remember one of my first posts - and I was feeling a little intimidated - where you acknowledged my comments, even though it wasn't in response to something you had posted. This simple act encouraged me to keep on posting. I notice that you do this for other novices as well. Your consideration and support for others will always keep new members coming back.

Secondly, what can we do to make the forums more novice-friendly? Well, I agree that this is important. New members are the "life-blood" of any community. Without new members the community will not move forward and remain productive. Some of these new members will be young - adolescents and young adults, who will grow and mature to take on more active roles in the community. Some of these new members will be older - like me who can contribute with the wisdom that comes with time (although this is not always evident with me!! )

So, how to encourage and retain new members?? Well, perhaps there needs to be a forum dedicated to new members - saplings, entings and hobbits. They could start their own threads in this forum - some of which may be duplicates of threads in the other forums. This would enable new members to browse the other forums and contribute there if they wish but have a forum where they will feel less intimidated to respond.

It would also encourage members to browse old threads to stimulate discussion or make up trivia questions. They would be learning about Tolkien as well as about Entmoot.

It is also important for more experienced members to encourage and support contributions from new members. You (and others ) have set a good example of this, Valandil.

I don't know what others think, but it is worth considering.

Wow!! Am I long-winded!!
Old 07-09-2004, 06:53 AM   #51
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Why thank you Elanor! And actually, you're doing very well. This is also my first message board, and I was here a LONG time before I even learned how to 'quote' someone. But if you want to do multiples, I've found a few ways. For one, you can split up a persons quote and type in the [qu*te] and [/qu*te] - I didn't spell it out or it ruins the effect. OR - you can copy and paste the quote a time or two within your response - and whittle each one down to what you want. There may even be a few others.

And don't worry - that wasn't spamming.

Quote:
Originally posted by Elanor the Fair
So, how to encourage and retain new members?? Well, perhaps there needs to be a forum dedicated to new members - saplings, entings and hobbits. They could start their own threads in this forum - some of which may be duplicates of threads in the other forums. This would enable new members to browse the other forums and contribute there if they wish but have a forum where they will feel less intimidated to respond.

It would also encourage members to browse old threads to stimulate discussion or make up trivia questions. They would be learning about Tolkien as well as about Entmoot.
THAT is an interesting idea. Others should see it here as well, but I'll pass it along. Thanks for the thought.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 11:39 AM   #52
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Actually, for all of you who mentioned feeling intimidated in the Tolkien forums, I urge you to take part in the 'LOTR Discussion Project' in the LOTR Books Forum. Azalea has specifically requested that people not bring information from outside sources into the discussion (like Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, History of Middle-earth series, etc), just so that people who don't 'know it all' DO feel comfortable joining into the discussion. We're still early in the story, so it'd be easy to catch up... or, just jump right in where we are!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 07:45 AM   #53
Beor
founder of the color blue

Quote:
Originally posted by Maedhros
This is funny.
Sorry, dude, didnt mean to insult your intelligence. I will try harder.

Quote:

This is even funnier.
Cool, I am glad that I made you laugh again. Sorry to have an opinion.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:37 AM   #54
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

I'd love to discuss things from HoME, but would people post in a HoME discussion thread? If you experience that the people who are posting regularly in the Sil forum could be counted on one hand, then it does not encourage a HoME thread.

I would really like to hear from new members in the Sil forum and the LotR forum. I hope us 'oldies' do not scare anyone away with too much quotes and stuff from HoME and Letters. Please post your thoughts, they will be appreciated. Ask any question that you may have, we will try to answer. It was wonderful experience for me being a newbie here almost 2 years ago, so many people with interest in Tolkien, and so many to learn from and be inspired by. It would be nice if new members today could have the same experience when they come here.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:27 PM   #55
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

I rarley post in the Tolkein forums, except the RPG forum from time to time. I used to, but I ran out of questions since I've read the Silmarillion twice, FotR once, RotK twice, the Hobbit once, and I don't think I can begin to count the number of times I read The Two Towers.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:33 AM   #56
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I'm pretty much Tolkiened out. I'll reread the books sometime in the next few years, probably during a downtime in real life. Middle Earth is a place I have used to escape my reality. It's good to know it's always there, waiting for me.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 04:27 PM   #57
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
I'm pretty much Tolkiened out. I'll reread the books sometime in the next few years, probably during a downtime in real life. Middle Earth is a place I have used to escape my reality. It's good to know it's always there, waiting for me.
Hey, I did that for my school (the second time I read The Two Towers).