Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-27-1999, 10:14 PM   #41
Son of the Suns I

Re: favorite music

My favorite genre is classical/instrumental music. I mostly listen to that lately, especially to the movie scores of John Williams. I also like 60's-80's pop/rock and certain pop/rock music from the 90's. I absolutely despise rap, except for a select few songs from a select few artists.
Old 12-27-1999, 11:44 PM   #42
DarthNut

Re: favorite music

Ya, I absoulty HATE rap. Except for a SELECT few. Liek Mombo Number 5!
Old 12-28-1999, 12:09 AM   #43
dmaul96

sdhbs

mombo no.5 is rap i love that song-i dont even know the words!
Old 12-29-1999, 03:38 AM   #44
Gollum

i like......

Punkrock...its all i ever listen too... Specially More hard loud stuff that some of the pop-punk out there... I also prefer 77 style especially political or 'oldschool' if you want to the newer kind AKA...wait you would have never heard of them anyway...
Old 12-29-1999, 12:47 PM   #45
DarthNut

Re: i like......

Arg, how could you like OunkRock, Modal? I hate it, eh.
Old 08-15-2000, 09:25 PM   #46
thrawn96

Yeah, I knew we had this here somewhere. Let's continue the discussion here. (i used to be gdl96)
Old 08-16-2000, 12:19 AM   #47
Jochen Deyke

Three of my favorite CDs:
Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle-Earth,
Summoning - Minas Morgul,
Summoning - Dol Guldur.
Old 08-16-2000, 09:46 PM   #48
Shanamir Duntak

How could I forget Rage against the machine! Yes, I used to listen to "killing in the name" each dinner at school... now I listen to the complete album
Old 08-17-2000, 12:53 PM   #49
Taimar

My favourite bands are The Pixies and The Jesus and Mary Chain. I am also partial punk, especially The Buzz@#%$s. Apart from that I listen to mainly classical music, especially JS Bach and Mozart. IMO, rap is not music, and I guess the `c` is silent.
Old 08-17-2000, 06:51 PM   #50
emilsson

The Jesus and Mary Chain are another great band I must add to my list, as well as Travis and REM.
Old 08-17-2000, 09:26 PM   #51
Shanamir Duntak

I just read the entire Thread, and I must say that it was not greg who was lacking some respect but you Ben... You can't just say something is junk 'cause you don't like it! You have the right to age but hey, youth will always be youth and still KoRn is music....
Old 08-18-2000, 12:01 PM   #52
Taimar

Nice to come a fellow J&MC enthusiast, emilsson. We are a dying breed these days. BTW, I also like Depeche Mode. The live album "Depeche Mode 101" is outstanding.
Old 08-18-2000, 12:49 PM   #53
anduin

Um.... Shan, Ben and Greg are the same age (one of them has to be older, and I am sure someone will set the record straight). Everyone has the right to his or her opinion, and if Ben thinks that koRn is "junk", that is his opinion. It would only be disrespectful if he said Greg was an idiot for liking koRn. See the difference?
Old 08-18-2000, 06:43 PM   #54
emilsson

Taimar, "101" is my favorite album with Depeche Mode. Their songs get so much better when you hear a crowd singing along.

In Sweden there was a music magazine called POP and they had an interesting interview with Jimmy Reid. It was that article that got me into Jesus and The Mary Chain. That´s the way to discover really good music in Sweden, you got to go through magazines .
Old 08-18-2000, 07:13 PM   #55
Taimar

I grew up only a few miles from the Reid brothers, emilsson. I first saw The Jesus and Mary Chain at one of their first gigs in Glasgow about 15 years ago. `Psychocandy` is, in my opinion, the greatest album of all time.
Old 08-18-2000, 07:26 PM   #56
SilvaRanger

Re: Favorite Music

I like most types of music from punk to classics. Favourites are Queen, electronic stuff like Jean Michel Jarre and Tangerine Dream, also the Clash and some Bob Marley stuff.
Old 08-19-2000, 04:38 AM   #57
arynetrek

i have to agree with Ben & others that bands like Korn & Limb Bizkit are nothing more than shouting over drums & guitar.

it seems like all the best music & best eras for music are all over & done with. i'm a big fan of classic rock, & that pretty much ended by the late-70s, & then electro-pop or whatever its real name is came along (depeche mode, erasure, early Cure, some Styx) & while the style didn't die out, it did get hidden. then finally, bands like Smashing Pumpkins & RHCP showed up, did some great innovative things, but are being driven away by the sugar-pop & the screamers (rap & rap-rock).

music can't be music unless it does something to the listener - and seemingly-mindless screaming doesn't incite emotion or passion or anything - it's just there to be loud &, to me, annoying.

feel free to criticize my music, here's my list -
Led Zeppelin
Smashing Pumpkins
The Who (the surviving 3 are coming to dallas & I CAN'T AFFORD TO GO!)
Metallica
Depeche Mode (haven't heard them in forever & a century)
some Styx
some Aerosmith
Beatles, esp. Anthology II
Pantera
some REM
various Russian classical
the Escaflowne soundtrack
i know i've forgotten someone, but this is already too long.

aryne *
Old 08-19-2000, 08:05 AM   #58
emilsson

Taimar, for some reason I like Darklands more than Psychocandy. "Happy when it rains" is such a good popsong, I get happy everytime I hear it.

arynetrek, I agree with you on what good music should do. But I also think different music appeals to different people. I can't wait for next year because Depeche Mode is releasing a new album with a tour following it.
Old 08-20-2000, 01:36 AM   #59
Bullroarer

lets see

The main type of music I listen to is oldies/soda pop bar. I listen to other things though

Archies
Young Rascals
Weird Al
Elton John
Billy Joel
Styx
Beach Boys
Paul Simon
Grateful Dead
GFR
etc.
Old 08-20-2000, 03:18 PM   #60
Shanamir Duntak

Re: lets see

Aryne First, you can't say screaming and shouting as you call it it mindless. But as you used seemingly, so I understand you can think it's mindless, it's your opinion. But then what you can't say is that it doesn't incite emotion! Arrr.. these songs are often more emotionnally charged than any other! Just because it carries a different set a emotions than what you're used to doesn't mean it don't incite some emotions.

Yes, mostly this style carries anger, rage, etc. But sometimes, one want to feel those to relieve of his own problems. Right now, I'm listening to Limp Bizkit - Break stuff And I can hear myself shouting "Break your F...... face tonight!" And I DO feel a lot with that. (By the way I'm not referring to YOUR face )

Shan