Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-02-2004, 02:31 PM   #41
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Also BrownJenkins - I watch the French News EVERYDAY - how many times do you see it?
Have you met EVERY SINGLE FRENCH PERSON? Pfft, I refuse to take a guy seriously who thinks that if you agree with the Bush administration, that you're anti-american.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 02-02-2004 at 02:32 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 02:31 PM   #42
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

I would venture to guess that we all stereotype groups of people to some extent - by religion, nationality, (ED: age), ethnicity - even body size and shape. It greatly simplifies life by giving us a starting point. What is then important is to find out how accurate our notions can be held across a group - and (probably most important) to allow for individual differences.

Stereotyping has some validity... it's just very important to understand its limitations.

Brownjenkins - do you think you do no stereotyping whatsoever?

Anyway - back to the matter at hand... what does this whole episode say to you, brownjenkins and gaffer? This fellow from France makes this joke, gets this particular punishment, then gets the treatment described when he gets home. How would you describe or explain it? And what do you think about his case in particular? Was he treated justly or not?

Last edited by Valandil : 02-02-2004 at 02:34 PM.
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 02:41 PM   #43
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Well, as I said, I think the bloke is clearly an idiot, the punishment was probably slightly over the top (though not having been there I wouldn't like to comment too definitively) and the reception he allegedly got back home is just stupid.

Of course, we all do stereotyping; it's a natural facet of human experience to generalise from one experience to another.

However, to actively seek out confirming evidence of one's stereotypes and gleefully parade it in public to whip up antipathy towards a particular group is, IMO, nasty, malicious and psychologically suspect.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 02:49 PM   #44
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

So is it true all Tolkien fans are geeks?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 03:02 PM   #45
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by brownjenkins
JD ~

Stereotyping - Stereotyping is the process of assuming a person or group has one or more characteristics because most members of that group have (or are thought to have) the same characteristics. It is a simplification and generalization process that helps people categorize and understand their world, but at the same time it often leads to errors. Examples of stereotypes that are often wrong are that women are weak and submissive, while men are powerful and domineering. This may be true for some women and some men, but it is not true for all. When stereotypes are inaccurate and negative (as they often are between groups in conflict) they lead to misunderstandings which make resolving the conflict more difficult.

yes, you are stereotyping... and no, i never watch the french news
I'm not stereotyping. I don't think all french are like that and your example isn't the same. Europeans stereotype Americans all the time - but hey - that seems to be okay.

As for your comments regarding about Europeans judging us off of say Fox News - they do it all the time. The Gaffer does it (which I will get to his post) and many others do it. How many times do I have to hear about neo-conservatives and right wing fanatics on this board when they're describing America. Europe gets their news through their filtered media that shows them what they want to show and this how Europe develops their opinion of us..

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 03:06 PM   #46
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
that would be like if i was a european and only watched the fox news report... would it be fair for me to claim that all americans are right-wing conservatives?
You have a valid point here, certain channels have a political or social view that leaks through the programmes.

If anyone watches Flemish TV-channels, I hope by god they don't judge us by watching VTM!

[modmode]This is becoming a bit of a loaded topic, so let me warn you in advance. Don't start personal attacks and stay civil.[/modmode]
Old 02-02-2004, 03:06 PM   #47
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Have you met EVERY SINGLE FRENCH PERSON? Pfft, I refuse to take a guy seriously who thinks that if you agree with the Bush administration, that you're anti-american.
If you bother to read anything I say - you would know I have met a LOT of French people and thyat is what I was basing my opions on first (along with giving them the benefit of the doubt). so pfft yourself.

Oh- and I don't think that if you agree with the Bush administration that you are anti-American. Nor do I think if you disagree with them that you are anti-American. if you said nothing but negative things about America - then yes - I think you are anti-American.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 02-02-2004, 03:11 PM   #48
Valandil

IR: can't...come up... with witty reply!

All the rest of you: I think what Earniel is saying is: "No more pffting!!"
Old 02-02-2004, 03:12 PM   #49
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gaffer
However, to actively seek out confirming evidence of one's stereotypes and gleefully parade it in public to whip up antipathy towards a particular group is, IMO, nasty, malicious and psychologically suspect.
I'm not seeking it out confirmation of opiniosn and I'm not gleefully parading it in public. I'm just stating what I have seen. You seem to have no problem parading your arrogant feelings toward Americans around. I watched French news because I wanted to see what they were reporting, I wanted to understand them better.

Like I have always wanted to do. For your information - I always wanted a satelite dish (the old large ones) so I could get all the news channels in the world and watch them. I discovered when a friend got a satelite dish - that you can't really do that. So I can understand other countries. I know that is something that you can't understand though and refuse to accept.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 02-02-2004, 03:14 PM   #50
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Pffft!

Btw JD - have you watched Heavenly Creatures yet? You're not allowed to call PJ a hack anymore until you do! But really, you should watch it - spend a couple of hours away from the moot, maybe work on your web page after...
Old 02-02-2004, 03:17 PM   #51
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gaffer
JerseyDevil, yet again you betray yourself with your unhinged and irrational accusations. Maybe those bigoted French people you met on the chat rooms (a truly representative sample, no doubt) got their anti-American prejudice from reading your posts.
I did NOT post anything. I just saw it in their sigs and stuff. So get off your high horse- you don't even know me. You are basing your opinions on this one board and not even the whole board.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 02-02-2004, 04:47 PM   #52
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

we all stereotype from time to time (even me), i just believe it is a bad thing that one should admit about one's self and try to work against... try to make it the exception instead of the norm... the old "put yourself in the other person's shoes thing"

c'est la vie

on the rest... it was a bad idea to joke in that kind of situation, but a fine should have been enough

it kind of reminds me of the recent incident in south america where some angry american pilot gave an inspector the finger because he was mad about having to go through security, and got fined and thrown in jail as a result... again, stupid move, but the reaction was over the top

but we've made our bed and will have to sleep in it when it comes to international relationships, fear breeds fear
Old 02-02-2004, 05:00 PM   #53
Valandil

Quote:
on the rest... it was a bad idea to joke in that kind of situation, but a fine should have been enough
But the accounts mentioned claimed that he was also uncooperative after being apprehended. That may have created more doubts in the minds of the authorities who were holding him.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:24 PM   #54
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Have I told you lately that I like pop-tarts?
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 05:36 PM   #55
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
But the accounts mentioned claimed that he was also uncooperative after being apprehended. That may have created more doubts in the minds of the authorities who were holding him.
i would imagine they could search him and his luggage in fairly short order... less than fifteen days at least

mmm... pop-tarts
Old 02-02-2004, 05:42 PM   #56
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

That French guy is a moron. You just don't joke to the stewardess about having bombs on a plane. I think he deserved well the treatment that he got (assuming that an American behaving the same way would get the same punishment too).
Old 02-02-2004, 06:00 PM   #57
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
That French guy is a moron. You just don't joke to the stewardess about having bombs on a plane. I think he deserved well the treatment that he got (assuming that an American behaving the same way would get the same punishment too).
Yes Americans have been and are treated the same way...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 08:32 AM   #58
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Earniel: I have no desire to personalise this debate, but I've been openly accused of bigotry and arrogance and would like to respond.

Just because I disagree with some self-appointed cultural spokesperson, of limited wisdom and less tolerance, doesn't mean I have a problem with Americans; I'm confident that most of you understand that.

On the contrary, I've greatly enjoyed being friends and colleagues with many Americans over the years. EDIT: oh, and when I say "many", I mean over a hundred.

Last edited by The Gaffer : 02-03-2004 at 08:34 AM.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 08:42 AM   #59
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
Yes Americans have been and are treated the same way...
So is this something that happens often?
Old 02-03-2004, 08:51 AM   #60
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

Sercurity is acually still really lack. For example, beofe christmas i was going on a flight from Edinburgh to Dublin. When we got on the plane we sat opposite this man and his elderly mother. When the staff asked to see his ticket he said ' I dont have one, im just helping my mother on the plane '. So somehow, he had gotton through to the departure gate, on the plane, and without anyone noticing. Does this not sound a little bad to anyone else? Anyway he got taken off the plane and i dont know what happened...

Visit the Ye Olde Avatar Shop and The New One

Dont tell me what I cannot do

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

My name bares no reference to the music artist.
Twista is offline   Reply With Quote