Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-10-2002, 11:31 PM   #41
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Oh Coney! My brave hot dog! My husband has smoked for 30 plus years. When he tried to quit, He was awful to be around! We (the family) were actually relieved when he started again after four or five weeks (months? I can't remember) I think he needs to just keep trying, cause eventually he could do it. But I also think he's afraid to now. (fear of failure) Go to it, Coney!!! You will be a non-smoker someday! Today just might be the day!!!!Yea!! I'm ready to celebrate!
Now, DARE makes me mad, my first grader has come home with some DARE stuff already, he asks what D.A.R.E.spells (whatever they said, was about lord knows what, and apparently meaningless to him) and when I get to "D" (drugs), I say what??....medicine that make you feel good? Well that sounds dumb, that's what I tell him the medicine from the doctor will do. So...medicine that makes you feel bad? Well why would someone take medicine to feel bad?...Cause it makes you feel good? Geez, I do not even want to talk about such nonsense with my little darling. He's not ready!!! I wish they would back off, it's just too confusing.

I think they should have the awful commercials, like people talking with that artificial voice box after their larynx has be removed, Or show a person inhaling a cigarette through that hole in their neck that they use when something's been removed, or the people with the oxygen things on wheels in the grocery store cause they have emyphsema. If my kids ask me about this, I say it's cause the people smoked too many cigarettes. Could be a lie, but could be true!

Anduril, don't brag about your drug use, It's tacky!! Cheech and Chong? Everyone I ever saw shooting up heroin always immediately threw up. Looked pretty pathetic to me.

Last edited by Lizra : 11-11-2002 at 12:06 AM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 11:53 PM   #42
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

Go coney.

YOu know crystal meth?
My friend last year made some, she sniffed it or whatever they do...and it eroded (sp) her insides until she died by erosion from the inside out...sad huh? Died particularly painfully... Insentive to never to Crys. Meth.

This one is deactivated, I think.
Aeryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 12:06 AM   #43
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
I think they should have the awful commercials, like people talking with that artificial voice box after their larynx has be removed, Or show a person inhaling a cigarette through their trachometry, or whatever you call that hole in their neck that they use when something's been removed, or the people with the oxygen things on wheels in the grocery store cause they have emyphsema. If my kids ask me about this, I say it's cause the people smoked too many cigarettes. Could be a lie, but could be true!
Now that's good incentive for me to stop permanently this time

Ty for the kind words of encouragement Lizra .............it's been a good few hours now and the hots-sweats have started, I don't know if its the nicotine deprevation or if I'm going through a premature male-menopause...lol.

I stopped for 2 weeks and 2 days not very long ago so I know what to expect this time........in a few more hours it'll be the vomiting and dizzyness (yes I'm a pretty bad nicotine addict)

I'm pretty bad to be around too when I can't get a smoke........but tell your husband to keep trying.............hell if a mutton-head like me can stop then your hubby should be ok........you just have to keep trying (I know that sounds very simplistic but IMO it's the truth).

Yeah Aeryn, to my shame, I've done Chys......only twice, it was just too damn powerful for me to handle any more than that.........not that I have any ambition to take **** like that anymore. (older and wiser these days).

Sorry to hear about your friend (I terrible at platitudes)......it's absolutely terrifying how fast drugs can take someone

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 03:27 AM   #44
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Lizra:
Anduril, don't brag about your drug use, It's tacky!!
I wasn't bragging. The "go me" + smiley addon was meant to indicate my shameful guilt .

Actually, I don't really feel anything at all (about the drug experimentation). At this point, I won't say that I should not have experimented.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 05:04 AM   #45
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

1 hour and counting. Arg. Have already contemplated rooting around in the bin for douts and putting a minging roll-up together. Fortunately, dignity prevailed. Deep breath and get on with some work...

I went to see Body Worlds last night. It's an exhibition of plastinated bodies, a method of preservation which hardens the flesh so you can display whole bodies in all sorts of weird modes of dissection. Lots of smoker's lungs, so that image is helping. The furred-up aorta was pretty gruesome too.
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 09:30 AM   #46
Dunadan

Found some tobacco! Picture Frodo at the Fords trying not to put the ring on. Binned the baccy, making sure to sprinkle it over sludgy bits in the bottom of the bin. Not even I could smoke that. Decided to post this instead. No offence, but it's a poor substitute.
Old 11-11-2002, 09:33 AM   #47
Dunadan

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
I stopped about 2 hours ago

So far everthing is cool............tomorrow I'll be posting on here sobbing like a baby
Coney! Just noticed this. Gaun yersel big man. It's hell on earth.
Old 11-11-2002, 04:52 PM   #48
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
and when I get to "D" (drugs), I say what??....medicine that make you feel good? Well that sounds dumb, that's what I tell him the medicine from the doctor will do. So...medicine that makes you feel bad? Well why would someone take medicine to feel bad?...Cause it makes you feel good?
Hmmm...that's strange. I didn't have that problem. Interestingly, the word for "recreational drugs" in Chinese is the same word that means "poison". So the non-slang way to say something like "smoke up" translates roughly into "inhale poison" in English. So I can't say that as a child I had the same problem as your kid.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 05:39 PM   #49
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Dunadan
Found some tobacco! Picture Frodo at the Fords trying not to put the ring on. Binned the baccy, making sure to sprinkle it over sludgy bits in the bottom of the bin. Not even I could smoke that. Decided to post this instead. No offence, but it's a poor substitute.
Good man there!!!

I'ts just gone 24 hrs for me (I think)........sheesh I couldn't so much roll a few dog-ends as I could pick them up and physically chew them ...........and suck the filters for any nicotine residue
Luckily I threw out all my smoking parafanalia last night, so rooting around in the dustbin is not an option

No more nasty side-effects at the mo', except for the vomitting. I'm rapidly becoming very bored of throwing up every 20mins.........thank the gods for lucozade

Beatallica
Old 11-12-2002, 05:08 AM   #50
Dunadan

That's gruesome! Stick with it, it can only get better from here. Are you sure it's cigarettes you've been smoking, not heroin?

I get an acid stomach - like the feeling of being nervous. Is this what you're getting in spades?
Do you think nicotine replacement would help?

However, this morning feels better than yesterday already. Even managed to go to the pub last night.

cheers, and good luck

d.
Old 11-12-2002, 09:17 AM   #51
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

Location: Pennsylvania, but I have a vacation home in the Westfarthing.
Quote:
So what would it take to convince a young person to not experiment? What would you change about current antidrug/anti-smoking campaigns to make them more effective?
Listening to you guys about how hard it is to quit, and how much you still want to. Good work; keep it up.

Aure Entuleva!

John Kerry for President!
Beleg Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 09:32 AM   #52
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Day 2

Ah the beautiful healing power of sleep

Today is ok..........the vomiting has stopped (yeh) and except feeling a little light-headed and having the most amazing coughing fit this morining it's pretty cool. I'm a little short of breath as well, probably just my lungs protesting at breathing thin air as opposed to thick, clogging smoke.

Yeah the vomiting was mainly acid and bile, I think I'll buy shares in the Zantac company lol.

Dunadan: Yeah I used the nicotine patches last time I stopped. They did stop nearly all of these withdrawal effects.......but using the patches wasn't doing a lot to stop the addiction (in fact in hidsight it was just feeding it) so this time I've gone cold-turkey (actually more like a gibbleted, vacuum wrapped, deep frozen turkey).

Yeesh glad it wasn't heroin..............if nicotine has this much hold on me than an encounter with heroin would be the final nail in the coffin

Beatallica
Old 11-12-2002, 09:39 AM   #53
Dunadan

Re: Day 2

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
Yeesh glad it wasn't heroin..............if nicotine has this much hold on me than an encounter with heroin would be the final nail in the coffin
It could be that nicotine is more addictive than H. Not sure how you'd measure it though.

I agree with you about patches etc. However I must confess I've had a couple of bits of gum this morning. Takes the edge off it at the worst time of day for me (morning). Also under a bit of work pressure (hence posting instead of working...), not helping.

cheers

d.
Old 11-12-2002, 02:13 PM   #54
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

I'm not so sure about nicotine being more addictive than herion.

From the research I've done, it seems that an incredibly low percentage of first-time heroin users don't progress to habitual users. Additionally, if someone is using heroin for the first time, chances are that person has either tried, or as easy access to a variety of other class-A drugs, and that it isn't really experimentation persay.

I don't know any stats, but I highly doubt that someone is going to be a first-time cigarette smoker, who has previously experimented with, or habitually used class-A narcotics.

And from what I've heard of heroin, it just takes one or two hits to develop the craving. I've never heard of anyone who has developed a nicotine addiction from one or two smokes.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 08:53 PM   #55
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Day 3...........nearly day 4

Give me a motherloving............femaledogslapping......... ...unknown fatherperson..............cigarette

Rant over, feel better now

Beatallica
Old 11-13-2002, 08:57 PM   #56
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

Hee, hee, good. I'm sure the thread is glad to be of service.

Old 11-13-2002, 09:01 PM   #57
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Aeryn
Hee, hee, good. I'm sure the thread is glad to be of service.
Yeah...........my lungs feel like they're gonna crawl out of my mouth and run (hop, skip wotever lungs do) to the shop themselves and buy a pack..............naughty lungs

Beatallica
Old 11-13-2002, 09:08 PM   #58
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

Lungs skip. And yes, naughty.

Old 11-13-2002, 10:59 PM   #59
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Quote:
Originally posted by Anduril
I wasn't bragging. The "go me" + smiley addon was meant to indicate my shameful guilt .

Oh.......Sorry, I didn't quite hear that right, I guess! Probably the less said the better!
Old 11-14-2002, 05:57 AM   #60
Dunadan

I know exactly what you mean, Coney. I'm afraid to go and buy a paper at the moment; it's so easy just to say "10 bensons" and that's that.

(BTW wasn't that the name of a band?)

Mornings definitely the worst for me. I'm trying to fill this yawning void inside with work and biscuits but it ain't working.

Still, day 3 is past, and that's usually the worst, ever.

Think of all those moments when you completely forget about having a tab. I know you can probably count them on the fingers of one hand, but gradually the proportion will increase. Pretty soon it'll be most of the time...

cheers

d.