Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-13-2005, 09:13 PM   #41
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
It is nothing like the French revolution. Have you read this thread through, or watche4d or read any of the actual news reports, rohirrim TR? Please quit trying to kill all the threads with nonsense, please.
Nope, instead it's more or less like Sixty One.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:21 PM   #42
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolls' bane
Nope, instead it's more or less like Sixty One.
yeah, good point. bad comparison on my part.
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 09:26 PM   #43
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

What are you two referring to? The Parisian student riots? I thought that was in 1968. Were there riots in '61 as well?

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 09:34 PM   #44
rohirrim TR

well my dates might be off, but i thought he referring to the berkely riots. maybe i'm all wet.
Quote:
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:34 PM   #45
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

You know, the first Martian revoloution in 2061? Never mind, just a metaphor to Kim Stanley Robinson's Red MArs.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:38 PM   #46
rohirrim TR

those riots yes, well, uhh yeah....back to paris, and my berkely dates are off i'm pretty sure have to research that again.
Quote:
Old 11-13-2005, 09:39 PM   #47
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Here is a fascinating Paris history-in-a-nutshell article from economist.com

http://www.economist.com/cities/find...=Facts-History

and here's a no-holds-barred frank (pun intended! ) article about recent events...

http://****france.com/read.html?post...plies=3&page=1

That bottom link is hidden by the bad-word hiding mechanism of the moot, so if you want to see the article type in the "f" word where the four *s are, and you'll get the link up.

Last edited by Lotesse : 11-13-2005 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:09 PM   #48
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

- excerpt from a New York Times article -

"Things changed when the foreigners began moving in," Mrs. Chenadec said. "There was a lack of respect."

Most of the rioters, however, are children of immigrants who were born in France. On Sunday, a band of 200 youths threw rocks and gasoline bombs and fired shotguns at the police in a housing project in Grigny, a gritty suburb south of Paris. Two policemen were hospitalized with injuries from shotgun pellets, the authorities said.

On Monday, a knot of young men gathered at the entrance to the project as the sun began to set. Empty tear-gas canisters littered the pavement, which was blackened by the ruins of burned cars. None of the men said they had seen the shooting, but they said anger toward the police was running high.

"It's the attitude of the police; they insult us," said a man of Algerian origin who gave his name as Medhi. "People here don't feel like they're a part of the political system. Their only recourse is to violence."

you can read the whole article at this link:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/08/in...l?pagewanted=2

As a side-note, I will respectfully ask both trolls' bane and rohirrim TR to PLEASE stop spamming this thread with non-relevant subject matter. How many times must I ask politely for you guys to quit it? It's unfair to the rest of us out here who might have something interesting and relevant to input, and not only that but all the spamming kills the thread and it's already happening here to my thread, NO MORE STUPID SPAMMING DAMMIT. Thank you 4 your kind cooperation.

Last edited by Lotesse : 11-13-2005 at 10:14 PM.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:17 AM   #49
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I don't think I'll bother with an article from *cough* "screw" france dot com (), but I'd love to read the article from The Economist. I couldn't get the link to work though. I think this is because Entmoot automatically chopped it down to size. If you format it as a link then I think it will work.

Link format: Copy and paste.
[url=http://www.linkgoeshere.com]Link Name[/url]

I did look at the article from the New York Times. Apparently, the violence has also spread to Brussels and Berlin. Belgium borders France to the north, and Brussels isn't really that far from France. But while Germany borders France to the east, Berlin is really far from the French border! However, I don't think distance is the only influence here. I think similairly disgruntled people might have been inspired (for lack of a better word) by the French riots.

Maybe the rioters really do feel violence is their only recourse. I also notice the article refers to "groups of men". Is it mostly men rioting here? If so, why? If that was true, then women do feel they have other options ie. non-violence. Why not women?

I realize this is a fairly large generalization, but if the rioters are mostly men, then the above questions should be asked.

[off topic]
I second bafflement of the spamming of two otherwise very fine Mooters. Rohirrim TR and TB, you guys normally rock. What the heck is this? Don't you think it's really insensitive to spam a thread discussing riots that have been going on over two weeks, and span an entire country? People are dying in France, so obviously no one cares about the antics of EDDIE or whatever in this thread. Take it to the Café where you are always welcome.
[/off topic]
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 11-14-2005 at 01:20 AM.
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 07:56 AM   #50
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Well, early Monday, the news here is reporting the French Cabinet has extended the state of emergency for another 3 months. Perhaps they think they can win this and be 1 for zero in the past 100 years.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:50 PM   #51
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
Well, early Monday, the news here is reporting the French Cabinet has extended the state of emergency for another 3 months. Perhaps they think they can win this and be 1 for zero in the past 100 years.
I don't get it Spock, 1 for zero in what? Declaring a state of emergency? What do you mean by 1 for zero anyway?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 05:27 PM   #52
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
I don't get it Spock, 1 for zero in what?
....sigh....If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you."......
Old 11-14-2005, 05:36 PM   #53
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
....sigh....If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you."......
Yes but you didn't answer her inquisitiveness .
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 05:41 PM   #54
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Yes but you didn't answer her inquisitiveness .
What? and you're too sick to figure it out too
Old 11-14-2005, 06:03 PM   #55
rohirrim TR

i believe what spock is referring to is france's talent, that is, the only thing that france is good at is hosting invasions.
Quote:
Old 11-14-2005, 06:08 PM   #56
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

Quote:
(It should also be said that there is a heavy dose of criminality involved too.)

Unfortunately, it could be that riots ARE the answer. As in, the only way to get mainstream society to take these problems seriously is to torch the place.

How seriously do we think they would be taken if they'd had a march through Paris instead?
violence and riots are NOT the answer. i mean, look at hitler and ww2...they didnot get all that far they just killed people and died in the end.

Nin o Chithaeglir, lasto beth daer:
Rimmo nin Bruinen dan in Ulaer!

REST IN PEACE GRANDMA, GREAT AUNT, GREAT UNCLE .....they're gunna fly with the angels now so say goodbye..but i can't. You don't really realize the importance of someone until they are gone
Tamuril Sirfalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 06:08 PM   #57
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Well probably some of the confusion arrizes from the fact that its pretty difficult to be "one for zero". Zero (or one) for 1000 might have been more along the lines of the standard french bashing humor he was aiming for.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 06:12 PM   #58
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Here you are, Nurvingiel; the link again for the Economist article:

http://www.economist.com/cities/find...=Facts-History

I read this or heard this statistic the other day - there are 40 million some-ought people in France, 8 million of whom are Muslim peoples who've immigrated or descend from immigrants coming from North African countries. That is an eNORmous segment of the population to be non-integrated within the society. Why do they move to France if France so obviously wishes not to integrate them into its society, is what I wonder.

Old 11-14-2005, 06:15 PM   #59
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

No, I understand what you're talking about Spock. I'm saying you should explain it to Nurv. if you want to use Gandalf's quote .
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 06:17 PM   #60
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
well, maybe they could have had a sunday jamboree get together and a good ol' chin wag about it? ... maybe some cucumber (and garlic) sandwiches and sent a letter to the 'le monde'?

...you know the world can be VERY real ... very nasty and very prejudiced .... history teaches us Tamuril (very educational the moot ain't it?? ) ..that in fact violence and the use of arms is one of the few things that can and does bring about change ...

Nurv ... it may not be an answer we like to see, or recommend - but IF it is the only answer available; the lack of choice rather negates the whole question/answer thing ...

i say it is good because it makes the french look like idiots (always a bonus point there )

but mainly because the french need a kick up their arrogant and racist nationalisitic backsides ...
yes, the moot is very educated sure but violence isnt the greatest thing guns ang fists are not the good way to go around things.* gets irritated and shoots a bystander* lol just kidding! and yes the french are pretty arrogant and racist i would know because my ancestry includes french!

Nin o Chithaeglir, lasto beth daer:
Rimmo nin Bruinen dan in Ulaer!

REST IN PEACE GRANDMA, GREAT AUNT, GREAT UNCLE .....they're gunna fly with the angels now so say goodbye..but i can't. You don't really realize the importance of someone until they are gone
Tamuril Sirfalas is offline   Reply With Quote