Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-25-2003, 10:07 AM   #41
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gaffer
Today's lesson from The Gaffer:

If you don't eat something for breakfast, your body starts metabolising protein, i.e. it burns itself up. It's bad for you...

Here endeth the lesson.
Great lesson. But what if you aren't hungry right when you wake up? should you just eat something anyway? Like Lizra's not hungry, because she eats late at night.

>>>I know what Wasa bread is, but I didn't know until you said so, Jonathan, that it came from Sweden. (It has a little crown on the package, I think.) It's not bad with dill Havarti cheese.

>> Artanis: I'm like that too. Never come between me and my food when I'm hungry. It could be very, very bad for your health.

>> My sister loves grits with butter and salt and pepper, crickhollowand Khamul. I'll only eat them with lots of cheese in them.

My fave Southern breakfast is actually biscuits and (vegetarian) sausage cream gravy. Now that's some good eatin'.

>> Sunstar: beans on toast!? Oh, now that's got to be the weirdest breakfast food yet posted in this thread. o.O

>> IT'S MORNING PEOPLE!! BRING ON THE COFFEE!!!!

Last edited by Ruinel : 10-25-2003 at 10:09 AM.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 10:27 AM   #42
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Why does a heavy, greasy "fat bomb" breakfast make you feel better when you have a hangover? Not the throwing up hangover of course! I always liked a Big Mac" or something like that after a hard, late night of imbibing.

I'm sorry, if my stomach is still full from the night before, I do not need, or want breakfast. I can tell what my body wants. We communicate well! But, when I am ready to eat....say about 3 to 4 hours after waking, and working.....it must happen! Coffee (with soy creme and sugar) first, then work, then eating. Forcing yourself to eat when you are not hungry is yucky. IMO, The "breakfast is fuel" theory worked for those regulated souls who ate dinner at 5 and went to bed at 8, when the sun went down. Then they woke at sunrise to do heavy work in the fields till lunchtime. I don't think it is so necessary for modern couch potatoes that snack on yummy stuff while watching TV till late, to eat a hardy breakfast. I find two meals a day much better.
Old 10-25-2003, 12:56 PM   #43
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel

>> Sunstar: beans on toast!? Oh, now that's got to be the weirdest breakfast food yet posted in this thread. o.O
It's baked beans, not green beans. Not that that makes it much better. Baked beans are ick.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 01:29 PM   #44
Elenka
The Negative Soul of Entmoot

I just don't eat on weekdays. Coffee, but nothing else.

Weekends, tho, it's sugar in any form, three cups of coffee or tea, cheese, toast, more tea, raw garlic, some type of soup.....etc. Breakfast could continue in a grazing sort of way until 2 pm.

War doesn't determine who is right - war determines who is left.
Elenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 01:39 PM   #45
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Raw garlic? My Armenian grandmother would do that everyday, it's supposed to be good for your heart (lowers bad cholesterol) I don't know about breakfast though! Breath issues?
Old 10-25-2003, 03:52 PM   #46
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheeana
It's baked beans, not green beans. Not that that makes it much better. Baked beans are ick.
I noticed that sunstar is from Kent, England. Is this a normal English breakfast, to eat baked beans and toast?

I agree, baked beans are ick.

Lizra: I personally like to eat tortilla soup and a big glass of coke as a favorite hangover remedy.
Old 10-25-2003, 05:34 PM   #47
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

baked beans on toast is one of the nicest things in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had it for breakfast this morning I don't know if it's considered a normal breakfast over here in England but a lot of people have it.
Plus it's very yummy!
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 05:54 PM   #48
Elenka
The Negative Soul of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
Raw garlic? My Armenian grandmother would do that everyday, it's supposed to be good for your heart (lowers bad cholesterol) I don't know about breakfast though! Breath issues?
Garlic is good for everything. I love garlic. And toothpaste takes care of breath issues.

War doesn't determine who is right - war determines who is left.
Elenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 06:29 PM   #49
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Quote:
Originally posted by Varda Oiolosseo
baked beans on toast is one of the nicest things in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had it for breakfast this morning I don't know if it's considered a normal breakfast over here in England but a lot of people have it.
Plus it's very yummy!
I could eat that. I'm not a big bread eater, but I might give this a try. I like sweet, molassesy tiny, little baked northern beans. What kind of bread is best?
Old 10-25-2003, 06:45 PM   #50
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

I have any bread! i like thick white bread best and when you have got the beans on the toast, add grated cheese and that is just the nicest thing in the world!
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 07:37 PM   #51
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Cheese! That doesn't sound so hot, to me! What kind of cheese? Orange or white?
Old 10-25-2003, 07:44 PM   #52
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Cheese! That doesn't sound so hot, to me! What kind of cheese? Orange or white?
"orange or white"???? OMG!!! You are NOT serious! Cheese IS life! Please, oh please, do not tell me you eat that cheese that comes prepackaged in individually wrapped slices. EEEWWWW!!!
Old 10-25-2003, 08:10 PM   #53
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Relax Ruinel.... Trust me, I am quite the gourmet. I am offended that you would actually consider that my cheese knowledge stops at Velveeta, which was created (as all good American cooks know) because it can withstand heat, and cooks well. Try making classic American macaroni and cheese with some of the more aged orange brick varieties and you'll get a greasy, gooey mess.
IMO, there are basically two colors of cheese. The orange cheese, such as various cheddars, or colby.....I really don't care for them too much, and the milder, fresher, white varieties. These types such as mozarella, Monteray Jack, goat cheese, Muenster, Provelone, etc are tastier to me. I don't care for swiss cheese! But I would not want cheese on my baked beans and toast. With some wine, yes...breakfast, nope! _
Old 10-25-2003, 08:16 PM   #54
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Bah, brown cheese is of course best. Every gourmet knows that.

Brown cheese on Wasa bread is a classic.
Old 10-25-2003, 08:57 PM   #55
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Relax Ruinel.... Trust me, I am quite the gourmet. I am offended that you would actually consider that my cheese knowledge stops at Velveeta, which was created (as all good American cooks know) because it can withstand heat, and cooks well.
No offense intended. I was just in shock, that's all.
Quote:
Try making classic American macaroni and cheese with some of the more aged orange brick varieties and you'll get a greasy, gooey mess.
To make classic American macaroni and cheese, cook the elbow macaroni according to the package. While that's cooking, make a white sauce. As soon as the white sauce has thickened, begin to add the cheddar cheese while stirring until it all melts into the white sauce. When the elbow macaroni are finished cooking and are drained, put them in with the cheddar/white sauce mixture, gently mix them up. Poor it all into a baking dish and bake it until ... sometime when it's done (not sure of the time). I use what my Nana used, 1 pound of elbow macaroni to one pound of cheddar.
Quote:
IMO, there are basically two colors of cheese. The orange cheese, such as various cheddars, or colby.....I really don't care for them too much, and the milder, fresher, white varieties. These types such as mozarella, Monteray Jack, goat cheese, Muenster, Provelone, etc are tastier to me....
IMO, the stronger the taste the better the cheese. When I visit my dad, we get out aged blue cheese and bread and eat that while watching Sci-Fi.
Old 10-25-2003, 08:58 PM   #56
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Brown cheese?
I don't eat cheese. Not that it tastes bad, but I'm not supposed to have dairy.

For breakfast I love fruit, any kind or I'll have a protien shake. yummy

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 09:29 PM   #57
Ruinel
Banned

CHEEEEEESE:
havarti, brie, swiss, camembert, blue, roquefort, parmesan, asiago, cheddar, colby, edam, farmer's, monterey jack, brick, gruyere, mozzarella, port, neufchatel, romano, queso blanco, ricotta, gorgonzola, feta, gouda, muenster, pepper jack, skamorza (sp?), fotina, etc., etc., etc....

but never never never limberger. gross
Old 10-25-2003, 10:07 PM   #58
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

A nice "squeaky" clean brick type cheese might be good for breakfast, with a blueberry bagel or something. I really like blue cheese and Stilton, especially with wine. They have a nice salty taste. I remember a restaurant I used to work at smeared blue cheese on a Beef filet. It was VERY good! I couldn't even bring myself to try Limburger. Bleah! I'm still wondering what kind of cheese gets shredded on the baked beans! ( ick! )
Old 10-25-2003, 11:10 PM   #59
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Ruinel, I'm curious as to how you tried roquefort cheese? Since it's traditionally an unpastuerised cheese, I'm assuming you had it in France?

Baked beans is a type of canned crap, Lizra - you can't just put any beans on there and call it baked beans. (do you guys even get baked beans over there? - evil things.) Anyway, I don't know about cheese, but I would assume it would be the standard prepackaged cheddar.

Best cheese for breakfast would be a norwegian brown - you can have it with fruit cos of it's slight sweet taste.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 11:35 PM   #60
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheeana
Ruinel, I'm curious as to how you tried roquefort cheese? Since it's traditionally an unpastuerised cheese, I'm assuming you had it in France?
I had it when I was a kid and I had it in Canada. I'm not sure where my uncle and aunt got it originally. But I thought it was good.

Quote:
Baked beans is a type of canned crap, Lizra - you can't just put any beans on there and call it baked beans. (do you guys even get baked beans over there? - evil things.)
We have canned baked beans but I'm not fond of beans that are sweetened. My Nana used to make baked beans from scratch and so did my mom. They used to put bacon in them (which is another reason not to like them).

Quote:
Best cheese for breakfast would be a norwegian brown - you can have it with fruit cos of it's slight sweet taste.
I'm going to have to try this cheese