FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-12-2001, 11:28 AM   #41
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Tater

Sister, I'd say CBG's point for him, but I'm an admin so I have to be good
Well, I'm not an adminstrator, and if you and CBG can't explain your point without being arrogant then maybe you should rethink your position. You certainly had no problems exacerbating things earlier. Feel free to speak your mind. Just don't violate your own rules.

Last edited by Sister Golden Hair : 12-12-2001 at 02:32 PM.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 09:06 PM   #42
anduin
Entwife

I don't think that it is too far fetched to say "the longer you live, the more you learn". Are we born knowing everything? Would you say that you know more now then you did this time last year? 5 years ago? 10 years ago?

Are the people here that have a problem with the statement thinking about it in the context of wisdom or intelligence....for the two are not the same. Also within the context that it was said, the point was that teenage love is something no one has wisdom in until they expericence it for themselves. Heck adults have trouble figuring it out and they are not filled with the hormones that teenagers are.
anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 02:16 AM   #43
Bradistic
Hobbit

I think that it is certainly true that as you age you gain in wisdom and knowledge. But I think that what Fireworks didn't like was the assumption that since she was a teenager, she must be ignorant and foolish in the ways of life and love. Wisdom may grow with age, but some cultivate wisdom more rapidly than others do. There are many adults who are very ignorant and many young people who are very wise. So do not assume that just because one is younger than you, that they must also be more foolish and ignorant than yourself.
Bradistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 09:00 AM   #44
anduin
Entwife

Well that's just it...someone inexperienced in love (in this instance) would go and tell basically the world that her and her boyfriend broke up. If I were to say get a divorce I would not broadcast it here, even though I have known many of these people longer than I have been married and my wedding was celebrated at this board.

Young people often do not want to be judged because of their age, likewise for older people. But it happens and is a fact of life. I am in my thirties and that would be considered old by some people's standards on this board and in the "real world".

I do not know one person that is my age that considers themselves to be wiser than when they were half their age. In fact just the opposite. Often when we are together we reminisce about the stupid things we use to think and do...especially in the realm of love. I would love to share them all with you but honestly, it is way too embarrassing.
Old 12-13-2001, 01:17 PM   #45
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

This statement was literal, and is a fact. If you measure the wisdom that you have now, and expect it to be the same ten years from now, then you would be considered stagnant. Learning is a never ending process throughout life. I know more now than I did when I was twenty, and I expect to know much more later than I know now. That is just the way it works. You live, and learn. This statement never implied anything regarding anyones intelligence, but has definately been taken out of context. Anduin has stated exactly the way that it was implied. Those who wish to take it out of context have created the problem and the offense, and then declined to followup on their remarks.

Let me try to clear this up with an example we can all relate too. Then maybe everyone will see how I meant this statement to be taken.

Almost everyone on this board is an avid Tolkien fan. We have all read the same books. Some have delved deeper into the myth then others. I have found several people on this board that are much more knowledgable about Middle-earth then I. Most of them are twice as young as I am. This has to do with intellect. Why? Because they have put in more effort and study. Now let's explore Tokien's Elves for a moment. This is a race of beings that were considered very wise. They were also immortal. This is accepted by all that read Tolkien. They are wise cause they have lived many years. Does anyone dispute this? The longer you live, the more you learn.
Old 12-13-2001, 06:08 PM   #46
Silva
Hobbit

Personally I dont think that age has anything to do with intelligence or maturity, I know people of 14 or 15 whoa are increedibly mature, and I also know older people who are really quite immature. So I think that things like maturity, and intelligence are not affected by a persons age.

After all intelligence is purely a measure of a persons thinking ability, how able they are to analyse information, whether they are able to think of solutions to problems, etc. That really isnt affected by a persons age.

Often it is true to say that an older person has experienced more, but quite alot of younger people have crammed lots of expeiriences into their lifes and either learnt from them or not learnt from them, dpending on their character, willingness to learn etc. I believe that life is about learning, no matter what our age is, I also believe that only a few people achieve true wisdom, for most of us life is a constant striving to become wiser, better equiped to deal with stuff, more able to handle things without getting too upset etc. True wisdom imo is far more than that, it's like some kind of spiritual enlightenment thing. To me wisdom is different to maturity or intelligence, and all I can say is I think I'm a little bit wiser now, than I was when I was a teenager, because I think wisdom is something that we get more of as we get older, for quite alot of us anyway.

As for age affecting whether or not people post personal stuff, I dont agree with that at all. I've posted very personal stuff on other forums, and I'm not *sighs* as young as I'd like to be *sighs again*. I think there's nothing wrong with posting personal stuff at all, it helps to talk and the net is a good place to do that, as long as you're sensible and dont put yourself at risk. I wouldnt post very personal stuff here because I'm new and dont know everyone well enough, also it sometimes doesnt seem to go down to well.

But I've posted lots of personal stuff at times on other forums, and at first I was very shy and wished I hadn't done it, but then I realised that it didnt really alter anyones opinion of me or make them think badly of me. In fact in a way it almost bought people closer to me, and I learnt that there were others with similar problems or feelings too. So I think in the right place why shouldnt people post personal stuff? It's good to be open to have courage to be honest about who you are and not care what others think.

Ok thats my views anyway, one other thing, I think if people can post their problems or feelings then it shows that a forum is a nice caring place with a real sense of community cos being a community is about helping each other out when we're down isnt it?
Old 12-14-2001, 03:45 PM   #47
Finmandos12
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Ok thats my views anyway, one other thing, I think if people can post their problems or feelings then it shows that a forum is a nice caring place with a real sense of community cos being a community is about helping each other out when we're down isnt it?
I think there's a problem if the first place fireworks runs to for emotional help is the Internet. The Entmoot, while I'm sure most people are nice here, is not the place where I'd go if I had a problem like that. Talk to your friends, your family, your teacher, etc if you have a problem. Most people here are not here to be counselors.
Old 12-14-2001, 04:21 PM   #48
Darkhalcyon
Elven Warrior

i wish everyone would stop it with SGH. you keep forcing her to be defensive.

and it's interesting; those of us who are younger jump right into "age has nothing to do with wisdom" and those who are older are agreeing that age does bring wisdom.

She is right. i've gone through a whole lot too, fireworks, but that doesn't mean have the wisdom to go out into the world. Heck, i still dn't even know what i want to do when i go there!! We obtain wisdom from doing things, failing, and learning from faiures, and sucesses. My life is a text book case of that, and if anyone here thinks of it, they'll see it too.

and i'm sorry if i singled anyone out or made anyone mad. I wasn't intentional.
Old 12-14-2001, 04:22 PM   #49
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Now, Now! Why shouldn't she go do entmoot?

After all, if the Ent's can't feel her pain, who can?
Old 12-14-2001, 04:25 PM   #50
Darkhalcyon
Elven Warrior

sorry that got posted twice. was an accident
Old 12-14-2001, 04:29 PM   #51
Kyote Fields
Elven Warrior

The Argue-miester

Oh yeah well I think Balrogs DON'T have wings!!! Haha!!! Come on!!! Who's gonna argue with me?!?!?!

*Crouches down, poised and ready for a tussle*

.....and now for something completely different.
Old 12-14-2001, 09:38 PM   #52
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

This is not the place to discuss Balrogs....

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2001, 05:41 AM   #53
Kyote Fields
Elven Warrior

My point exactly....

It takes less muscles to smile....

Besides I'm offended at you trying to tell me where and what I can post...

Old 12-15-2001, 09:26 AM   #54
anduin
Entwife

Kyote Field....I assumed that you were making a joke to perhaps relieve the tension of this thread. HOBBIT on the otherhand, I assume did not see it that way. Regardless, he is an admistrator of this board and it is his job to tell people what to post where....so do not take offense. If anything just at him for having no sense of humor.

Now please, let's get this thread back on topic, for this is a good thread.

Darkhalcyon wrote:

Quote:
and it's interesting; those of us who are younger jump right into "age has nothing to do with wisdom" and those who are older are agreeing that age does bring wisdom.
I was thinking the same thing myself. And when I was younger I definitely thought "age has nothing to do with wisdom". I thought I was smarter/wiser than my parents or teachers. They were old people that didn't have a clue to what life was about and certainly not what MY life was about. And in a sense I was right and to this day I still feel like I was right. My world they could have no understanding of. Either they forgot completely or it was so different they couldn't relate. But here I am talking about my world as it related to my life, pre-college, pre-career, pre-marriage, pre-children. I had no understanding of their world and wouldn't until I went though the things that they did.

Here is a favorite quote of mine (often attributed to Mark Twain) that relates to wisdom of youth.

Quote:
When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.
Old 12-15-2001, 03:22 PM   #55
Kyote Fields
Elven Warrior

I WAS only kidding, which Hobbit, perhaps unbeknowst to him, helped me to make my point. People can say - or write - things that may come off differently when read through the sive of someone elses mind. It's just funny to me that all three or four pages of this thread are arguements about misunderstandings, when, perhaps, if we were all in a room, seeing one another's facial expressions and hearing the other's tone, perhaps we would all realize we're saying the same thing.
I will now leave this thread. Thank you for listening. I hope I didn't offend anyone. Goodbye! *puts on the ring and vanishes*

Last edited by Kyote Fields : 12-15-2001 at 03:23 PM.
Kyote Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2001, 04:57 PM   #56
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by anduin

Now please, let's get this thread back on topic, for this is a good thread.

Now where would Entmoot be, if I didn't come along and cause controversy
Old 12-15-2001, 04:59 PM   #57
Finmandos12
Elven Warrior

I think you're all taking what each other is saying too far. Think of it this way, (Oh no, not another one of Finmandos's analogies).

The older you are, the more wisdom you are capable of having. Its like, people are a cup with water. The smaller (younger) cups sometimes have more water (wisdom) in them the older ones, but they do not approach the fullness of a big, full cup.

Understand?
Old 12-15-2001, 05:35 PM   #58
Silva
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Finmandos12
I think you're all taking what each other is saying too far. Think of it this way, (Oh no, not another one of Finmandos's analogies).

The older you are, the more wisdom you are capable of having. Its like, people are a cup with water. The smaller (younger) cups sometimes have more water (wisdom) in them the older ones, but they do not approach the fullness of a big, full cup.

Understand?
In one word No!!

In several words, No, Nope, Not at All, Completely confused.

Oh wiat a minute, light dawns I think I understand. Oh well thats my thinking for the day done then, back to sleep for me.

Just one thing though why would older people be bigger cups?

I hope you arent saying older people are fat? And for myself I quite enjoyed the joke about the balrogs by errr forgotten their name, but then I do come from boards where every thread ended up going off topic and no one minded at all, in fact it was sorta fun.
Old 12-16-2001, 05:53 PM   #59
Darkhalcyon
Elven Warrior

balrogs don't have wings.

I'm glad we can all lighten up.
Old 12-16-2001, 11:36 PM   #60
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

Baby balrogs do! And they sleep lying down!
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote