Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-13-2005, 12:45 PM   #41
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer
But the entwives did tend great gardens, and taught Men to grow produce. Why would they do that, if Ents were opposed to consuming plants?
good point!

maybe they were teaching cultivation to discourage people from foraging in the wild... lesser of two evils in their eyes
Old 10-13-2005, 04:06 PM   #42
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

So do they have lungs and vocal chords, or some other way to form vibrations and shape them into words? All that hoom-homming...
Elanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 04:14 PM   #43
inked
Elf Lord

Well, at the risk of starting a notorious war, Tolkien's Ents do not include the Dantesque imagery of the Wood of the Suicides, bubbling and burbling and hissing their words. I am with Forkbeard on this one - woodwinds. Thus I fall into the Elanor camp of something very like lungs as capacitance vessels for air which can be compressed to vibrate the reeds....more bellows (the accordion-like pump things for organs and fireplaces) than anything else. They of course respire in some fashion (op supra).
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 04:32 PM   #44
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

would it be possible for them to photosynthesize with their leaves and breathe oxygen with their lungs/bellows/air pipes? I'm thinking yes...

Segovia Mazes
Elanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 05:02 PM   #45
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanor
would it be possible for them to photosynthesize with their leaves and breathe oxygen with their lungs/bellows/air pipes? I'm thinking yes...
remember, the air also has a large degree of CO2... so they do not actually have to be breathing the "oxygen" part
Old 10-13-2005, 11:59 PM   #46
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Strider

If they ate vegetables, it wooden't be cannibalism; it would be similar to a sheperd eating lamb stew for dinner.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote