Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-02-2003, 06:52 AM   #41
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
I was just wondering - do all schools also have their 'school song / school anthem'? In SA all our schools have them, so I was just wondering if the other countries also do (I have never seen it mentioned, so it puzzled me a bit).
The secondary school (age 11- 16 yrs) I went to never had it's own song..which is a shame 'cos the school band used to win competitions all over Europe, so they prolly coulda knocked up a decent anthem.

Durham Uni does have it's own song but I've never heard it sung, the only person who has prolly still remembers the outbreak of WW1

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 09:37 AM   #42
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Thanks for sharing Baby-K. It was very interesting to read. It's almost completely in Dutch! Odd, considering it comes from nearly the other side of the world. Both songs sound very heroic.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:39 AM   #43
congressmn
Incharge: neighbourhood security

my school also has its own anthem. it is rotten though
Old 06-02-2003, 11:48 AM   #44
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Most schools in the US have a school song. Even a lot of elementary schools (k-6). I don't remember any of my schools - nore did we ever seen them. If you see the movie "Lean On Me" - it's a true story about a public school in Paterson NJ. They have their school song in there and also and how it was used to bring some pride to the school. It's a cool movie.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 03:05 PM   #45
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally posted by Baby-K
I was just wondering - do all schools also have their 'school song / school anthem'? In SA all our schools have them, so I was just wondering if the other countries also do (I have never seen it mentioned, so it puzzled me a bit). We used to have to sing it during assembly & at sports meetings etc. We even had to do a section in std 6 history about the history of our school & the symbolism of the school emblem, colours, motto and song.
I would guess that few state schools in Britain have their own songs - mine certainly doesn't. Private/public schools is another matter, however.

Since I don't live in a state, I don't have a state song - but here's a sort of equivalent, an unofficial county song (or should I say a shire song ):

Brave Men of Kent

When Harold was invaded
And, falling, lost his crown
And Norman William waded
Through gore to pull him down;
While counties round with fear profound
To mend this sad condition
And lands to save, base homage gave
Bold Kent made no submission

Chorus: Then sing in praise of men of Kent,
So loyal, brave and free
‘Mongst Britain’s race, if one surpass,
A man of Kent is he.

The hardy stout freeholders
That knew the tyrant near
In girdles, or on shoulders,
A grove of oaks did bear
Whom when he saw in battle draw
And thought how he might need ‘em
He turned his arms, allowed their terms
Complete with noble freedom

Chorus

At hunting, or in the race, too,
They sprightly vigour show
And at a female chase, too,
None like a Kentish beau
All blest with health, and as for wealth
By Fortune’s kind embraces
A yeoman grey will oft outweigh
A knight in other places

Chorus

The promised land of blessing
For our fore-fathers meant
Is now in right possessing
For Canaan sure was Kent
The dome at Knoll by fame extolled
The church at Canterbury
The hops, the beer, the cherries there
May fill a famous story.

Then sing in praise of men of Kent
So loyal, brave and free
‘Mongst Britain’s race, if one surpass,
A man of Kent is he.

It doesn't make a great deal of sense, it's quite unhistorical and some of the claims are just bizarre (Kent is Canaan?), but I think it's funny. It was written in about 1719-20, so that's an excuse
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.

Last edited by sun-star : 06-02-2003 at 03:06 PM.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 07:44 AM   #46
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel

O.O

Ok ...pardon my ignorance and no offense intended here, but I have got to know how the heck are these 2 words pronounced! I didn't know this would be humanly possible. EEK!
Sorry to go off topic, just testing my svenska skills.
I'm thinking fjällhöga might be pronounced something like fyell-hirga
and
glädjerika as gled-yer-ika . Ah, probably wrong.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 04:39 AM   #47
jerseydevil

I was relooking at this thread because there was an article on CNN.com about this organization (The National Anthem Project)to try to teach Americans the national anthem (so few know the words). Anyway - I was rereading some of the anthems here and so many have God in them - Sweden, Norway, South Africa (which is very relgious with Lord and Holy Spirit), New Zealand, Englands, etc. The most ours says about God is in the fourth verse - 'And this be our motto: "In God is our trust." '

I guess I'm sort of shocked by how many anthems have God in them - and yet some people want to remove God out of the Pledge of Allegiance here or refuse to even say the pledge because it contains god in there. I wouldn't exactly call Sweden a religious country and they seem to have no trouble with god being in their NATIONAL anthem.

So what are the histories and meanings behind people's national anthems? Ours I've described. It's a celebration of our flag, the defeat of the British and the survival of our country even when faced with the worst possible odds.

BTW - this is the way our National Anthem SHOULD be played - not the wimp way they play it at the Olympic Ceremonies. It's very important to have the cymbals and feeling in there. Without it, it's like the 1812 Overture without cannons - dull and flat. The Star Spangled Banner - US Air Force Band

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 03-12-2005 at 05:02 AM.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:05 AM   #48
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
Anyway - I was rereading some of the anthems here and so many have God in them - Sweden, Norway, South Africa (which is very relgious with Lord and Holy Spirit), New Zealand, Englands, etc. The most ours says about God is in the fourth verse - 'And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."

I guess I'm sort of shocked by how many anthems have God in them - and yet some people want to remove God out of the Pledge of Allegiance here or refuse to even say the pledge because it contains god in there. I wouldn't exactly call Sweden a religious country and they seem to have no trouble with god being in their NATIONAL anthem.
JD, you should really look at the anthems. God is only mentioned in the fourth verse of the Star-Spangled Banner. Well that is the case with the Swedish anthem as well, God is only mentioned briefly in the fourth verse and we never sing anything but the two first verses.

It's about the same thing with the Norwegian anthem, the word God appears in the seventh verse that is rarely sung at all.

Prior to 1994, South Africa had an official and an unofficial anthem. The official one didn't have God at all in it.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 06:13 AM   #49
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
JD, you should really look at the anthems. God is only mentioned in the fourth verse of the Star-Spangled Banner. Well that is the case with the Swedish anthem as well, God is only mentioned briefly in the fourth verse and we never sing anything but the two first verses.

It's about the same thing with the Norwegian anthem, the word God appears in the seventh verse that is rarely sung at all.

Prior to 1994, South Africa had an official and an unofficial anthem. The official one didn't have God at all in it.
Yes - but yours actually mentions god - "With God I shall fight, for home and for hearth," and with Norway's it's mentioned TWICE in the second verse - "Thank thy God, Whose power" and "God has fashioned, in His keeping" - ours its only mentioned within a motto - 'And this be our motto: "In God is our trust." '. It's not exactly the same thing in my opinion. I wasn't referring to where they were placed. I knew where they occurred - it was how God was invoked that was I commenting on.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-12-2005, 06:50 AM   #50
Jonathan

Quote:
Yes - but yours actually mentions god - "With God I shall fight, for home and for hearth," and with Norway's it's mentioned TWICE in the second verse - "Thank thy God, Whose power" and "God has fashioned, in His keeping" - ours its only mentioned within a motto - 'And this be our motto: "In God is our trust." '. It's not exactly the same thing in my opinion. I wasn't referring to where they were placed. I knew where they occurred - it was how God was invoked that was I commenting on.
Could a Norwegian tell which verses are actually sung? I think only the first and last verse, and God isn't mentioned in either of them.

The Swedish 4th verse mentions God. You said we didn't seem to have a problem with that but apparently we do since we never sing that verse.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:54 AM   #51
jerseydevil

Quote:
Could a Norwegian tell which verses are actually sung? I think only the first and last verse, and God isn't mentioned in either of them.

The Swedish 4th verse mentions God. You said we didn't seem to have a problem with that but apparently we do since we never sing that verse.
Usually not all the verses are sung in a national anthem because of time constraints - just like only the first verse of the Star Spangled Banner is sung. So just because it's not sung - doesn't mean that you have a problem with it. If you had a real problem with it - it would most likely be taken out or changed, because it's still part of your national anthem.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-12-2005, 07:04 AM   #52
Jonathan

Quote:
Usually not all the verses are sung in a national anthem because of time constraints - just like only the first verse of the Star Spangled Banner is sung. So just because it's not sung - doesn't mean that you have a problem with it. If you had a real problem with it - it would most likely be taken out or changed, because it's still part of your national anthem.
I don't think so, since few people even know there are two additional verses. Why change the God verse when it's never sung? Besides it's an old song from a time when more people believed in God. It's like a piece of history and you don't rewrite history.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:12 AM   #53
jerseydevil

Quote:
I don't think so, since few people even know there are two additional verses. Why change the God verse when it's never sung? Besides it's an old song from a time when more people believed in God. It's like a piece of history and you don't rewrite history.
Well that's exactly what I say about the Pledge of Allegiance and the LA emblem. But anyway - it's not sung in our national anthem either and I know most don't know it's there. I thought it was interesting that so many national anthems make references to god.

As for not rewriting history - if that was only true.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 03-12-2005 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:10 AM   #54
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

The Somerset Anthem is thus

"The Combine Harvester" by The Wurzels

I drove my tractor through your haystack last night
I threw me pitchfork at your dog to keep quiet
Now something's telling me that you'm avoiding me
Come on now darling you've got something I need

Cuz I got a brand new combine harvester
An' I'll give you the key
Come on now let's get together
In perfect harmony
I got twenty acres
An' you got forty-three
Now I got a brand new combine harvester

I'll stick by you, I'll give you all that you need
We'll 'ave twins and triplets, I'm a man built for speed
And you know I'll love you darlin' so give me your hand
But what I want the most is all they acres of land

In perfect harmony
I got twenty acres
An' you got forty-three

For seven long years I've been alone in this place
Eat, sleep, in the kitchen, it's a proper disgrace
Now if I cleaned it up would you change your mind
I'll give up drinking scrumpy and that lager and lime

In perfect harmony
I got twenty acres
An' you got forty-three

Weren't we a grand couple at that last wurzel dance
I wore brand new gaters and me cordouroy pants
In your new Sunday dress with your perfume smelling grand
We had our photos took and us holding hands

Now that we'me both past our fifties I think that you and me
Should stop this galavanting and will you marry me
Coz I got a brand new combine harvester
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 09:54 AM   #55
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Nice bump JD, what a cool thread.

I downloaded the Star Spangled Banner, with cymbals - very cool. I'm not sure what the coolest way to play O Canada! is - I'm used to it being played on an upright piano by my elementary school music teacher. She was awesome, I think she arranged her own version (staying true how it's meant to sound of course).

IP already posted the lyrics (post #8), but here's a little more information on our anthem.

Quote:
The History of the National Anthem: Summary

"O Canada" was proclaimed Canada's national anthem on July 1, 1980, 100 years after it was first sung on June 24, 1880. The music was composed by Calixa Lavallée, a well-known composer; French lyrics to accompany the music were written by Sir Adolphe-Basile Routhier. The song gained steadily in popularity. Many English versions have appeared over the years. The version on which the official English lyrics are based was written in 1908 by Mr. Justice Robert Stanley Weir. The official English version includes changes recommended in 1968 by a Special Joint Committee of the Senate and House of Commons. The French lyrics remain unaltered.
From canada.ca - full history here.

Want to sing along? Here is the tune for both the English and French lyrics. It's in F major.

You mentioned there's an effort to teach people the anthem - I say, start in the schools. To this day, I can sing the anthem in French and English, on key. In elementary school (primary school for Europeans), we started every assembly by singing the anthem in English and French. Of course, only the French Immersion kids could sing this version, but we did make up half the school. This was easily the best part of those boring assemblies. I actually looked forward to them a bit so we could sing the anthem. Sadly, there aren't a lot of opportunities. (I always make sure to sing it at hockey games. Most people stand and take off their hats, but don't sing.)

As for having God in the anthem, we have quite a significant reference with "God keep our land, glorious and free!", but I don't think there's an effort to change it. (I hope not!)

Quote:
As for not rewriting history - if that was only true.
What did you mean by that? Sounds bad.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 03-12-2005 at 11:14 AM. Reason: left out a bit
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 10:33 AM   #56
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Indeed an interesting thread! To me, the national anthem is something that is sung when we win a gold medal in some sport event - otherwise I only hear it on our independence day.
The words were written by Johan Ludvig Runeberg, a Swedish-speaking Finn, which of course is something I have to mention.
You can listen to it here : there you also find the history behind it, if you're interested.
So, here it is:

Maamme
(Finnish)

Oi maamme, Suomi, synnyinmaa!
Soi sana kultainen!
Ei laaksoa, ei kukkulaa,
ei vettä rantaa rakkaampaa
kuin kotimaa tää pohjoinen.
Maa kallis isien.

Sun kukoistukses kuorestaan
kerrankin puhkeaa;
viel' lempemme saa nousemaan
sun toivos, riemus loistossaan,
ja kerran laulus, synnyinmaa
korkeemman kaiun saa.

Vårt land
(Swedish)

Vårt land, vårt land, vårt fosterland,
ljud högt, o dyra ord!
Ej lyfts en höjd mot himlens rand,
ej sänks en dal, ej sköljs en strand,
mer älskad än vår bygd i nord,
än våra fäders jord!

Din blomning , sluten än i knopp,
Skall mogna ur sitt tvång;
Se, ur vår kärlek skall gå opp
Ditt ljus, din glans, din fröjd, ditt hopp.
Och högre klinga skall en gång
Vår fosterländska sång.

Our Land

Our land, our land, our fatherland,
Sound loud, O name of worth!
No mount that meets the heaven's band.
No hidden vale, no wavewashed strand.
Is loved, as is our native North. Our own forefathers' earth.

Thy blossom, in the bud laid low,
Yet ripened shall upspring.
See! From our love once more shall grow
Thy light, thy joy, thy hope, thy glow!
And clearer yet one day shall ring The song our land shall sing.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page

Last edited by Nerdanel : 03-12-2005 at 10:35 AM.
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 11:23 AM   #57
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

My favorite version of the Star Spangled Banner was sung by Whitney Houston at the Super Bowl some years back. It was re-released after 9/11.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 10:59 PM   #58
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Official Lyrics of O Canada!

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!

From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free!

English Translation of the French Version of the National Anthem

O Canada! Land of our forefathers
Thy brow is wreathed with a glorious garland of flowers.
As in thy arm ready to wield the sword,
So also is it ready to carry the cross.
Thy history is an epic of the most brilliant exploits.
Ch.
Thy valour steeped in faith
Will protect our homes and our rights
Will protect our homes and our rights.

The original poem of 1908 by Stanley Weir

O Canada! Our home and native land!
True patriot love thou dost in us command.
We see thee rising fair, dear land,
The True North, strong and free;
And stand on guard, O Canada,
We stand on guard for thee.

Refrain
O Canada! O Canada!
O Canada! We stand on guard for thee.
O Canada! We stand on guard for thee.

O Canada! Where pines and maples grow.
Great prairies spread and lordly rivers flow.
How dear to us thy broad domain,
From East to Western Sea,
Thou land of hope for all who toil!
Thou True North, strong and free!

Refrain
O Canada! O Canada! etc.

O Canada! Beneath thy shining skies
May stalwart sons and gentle maidens rise,
To keep thee steadfast through the years
From East to Western Sea,
Our own beloved native land!
Our True North, strong and free!

Refrain
O Canada! O Canada! etc.

Ruler supreme, who hearest humble prayer,
Hold our dominion within thy loving care;
Help us to find, O God, in thee
A lasting, rich reward,
As waiting for the Better Day,
We ever stand on guard.

Refrain
O Canada! O Canada! etc.

A Brief History
"O Canada" was proclaimed Canada's national anthem on July 1, 1980, 100 years after it was first sung on June 24, 1880. The music was composed by Calixa Lavallée, a well-known composer; French lyrics to accompany the music were written by Sir Adolphe-Basile Routhier. The song gained steadily in popularity. Many English versions have appeared over the years. The version on which the official English lyrics are based was written in 1908 by Mr. Justice Robert Stanley Weir. The official English version includes changes recommended in 1968 by a Special Joint Committee of the Senate and House of Commons. The French lyrics remain unaltered.

Last edited by Finrod Felagund : 03-14-2005 at 11:03 PM.
Finrod Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 03:18 PM   #59
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

we have had mentioned God Save the Queen, Rule Brittania and Land of Hope and Glory, but the UK has two more unofficial anthems, both by Handel IIRC

Zadok the Priest is performed at the coronation of the monarch, and IIRC at the state opening of parliament, but don't quote me on that,
and definitely by Handel, the Music for the Royal Fireworks is performed at the Royal Fireworks every year
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:48 PM   #60
Mari
Elf Lady

Dutch anthem

I noticed one of the more important anthems is missing: the Dutch anthem

It officially has a lot of verses, but we only sing 2, so I'll only post those two.

Gezang 411:
1) Wilhelmus van Nassaue
ben ik van Duitsen bloed.
Mijn vaderland getrouwe
blijf ik tot in den doed (dood)
Een Prinse van Oranje
ben ik vrij onverveerd
De Koning van Hispanje heb ik altijd geeerd.

6) Mijn schild en de betrouwen
zijt Gij o God mijn Heer.
Op U zo wil ik bouwen
verlaat mij nimmer meer.
Dat ik zo vroom mag blijven
uw dienaar t' allerstond
de tiranie verdrijven
die mij mijn hart doorwondt

English translation:
William of Orange
I am of German blood
Loyal to my country
I will stay untill my death
I'm a prince of Orange
I have no fear
I've always honored the King of Spain

My defense and faith
is God my Lord
I want to believe in you
never leave me again
That I may stay as loyal
a servant without fear
To drive away the tirany
that is stabbing through my heart.

It's just my translation so forgive me if there are major mistakes in it.
IT was written around 1600 or so when the Netherlands were struggling to become independent. That's why it's speaking of tirany and stuff.

About the mentioning of God: the anthem is actually a part of our churchbooks. We sing it in Church on national holidays, but also outside of the Church it is sung. I guess people don't really care about the God-part and just focus on the "I want to be victorious"-part

Last edited by Mari : 11-22-2006 at 08:54 PM. Reason: missing comments
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote