Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-16-2002, 03:36 AM   #41
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Quote:
Originally posted by Laurelyn
I'm going to ask this again, because my friends are persistent in their pestering, and it's starting to scare me:
How does one tell if one has an eating disorder?
watch for comments about her weight, comparing herself to others, picking at her food. Eating a LOT of junk food, and nothing else all day. An overblown exercise schedule. regularly skipping meals (ie only eating once a day my hobbit sensibilities are flabbergasted!)
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 07:03 AM   #42
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Osszie . . . the answer to the first question is no, I don't. I don't like eating, no, I don't know, do I?
Depends. Depends on a lot of things. I'll eat, I suppose, late in the day. But -- lunch? Breakfast? What the heck are those?
Oh, I know what they are, though. I know what lunch is because I've been talked into eating it. I wouldn't, otherwise, though. That's just a leftover habit from last year when I had gym right after lunch, and I didn't like to make myself sick.
See why I'm scared? I'm not fat and I know that, but I don't like to eat when I'm not hungry, and I'm not hungry too often.
Crickhollow, btw: What do you consider an "overblown excerise schedule?"

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 08:14 AM   #43
Millane
The Dude

i know that eating disorders are a big factor in many peoples lives but i just couldnt imagine trying to skip food... there is nothing i would like better than to have a huge feast... of late on the weekends and when i get up real early i have started second breakfasting i love that idea i have two breakfast because everyone loves breaky and then i have a small lunch...
anyways enough of my eating regime back to eating disorders i think that a big way to eliminate some eating disorders is to make sure you dont tease your friends and make them self conscious.. another thing is to watch out for your friends, children and make sure they eat... and one more... keep people busy and active so they need to keep up there food intake and they wont have time to think so bad about themself
Millane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 12:04 PM   #44
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Quote:
Originally posted by osszie
The simplest question to ask yourself is "do I enjoy eating?"

The second question is "do I enjoy eating too much?"

If the first answer is yes and the second answer is no....no problem
Sorry, but it's really hard to put a blanket statement like this on those with eating disorders. An anorexic may LOVE to eat, (in fact, most of them say they do), but they also hate it at the same time. I'm sure you've heard this before, but anorexia is a disease, and not eating is simply a symptom. More often than not it's a control struggle, or a form of rebellion.

Bulimics also love to eat, but once they 'binge', and feel incredibly guilty, so they get rid of it. Once again a control struggle.
Old 10-16-2002, 12:09 PM   #45
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Laurelyn, if you eat when you're hungry and stop when you're full you should be okay. My eating schedules can get really strange too, and I don't lose or gain any significant amount of weight. (I think part of it is because I was put on a 'six small meals a day' diet for awhile in junior high.) If you begin to think you're underweight, talk to someone about it. When you go in for routine check ups they'd probably comment on it if you are.

I think crickhollow means when you exercise to the point of actual exhaustion, nearly every day. Pushing your body beyond all limits just to get more calories burned.
Old 10-16-2002, 09:39 PM   #46
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Quote:
Originally posted by Starr Polish
Laurelyn, if you eat when you're hungry and stop when you're full you should be okay. My eating schedules can get really strange too, and I don't lose or gain any significant amount of weight. (I think part of it is because I was put on a 'six small meals a day' diet for awhile in junior high.) If you begin to think you're underweight, talk to someone about it. When you go in for routine check ups they'd probably comment on it if you are.

I think crickhollow means when you exercise to the point of actual exhaustion, nearly every day. Pushing your body beyond all limits just to get more calories burned.
Oh. Thanks, that's really reassuring, actually. I don't lose wieght, so . . . thanks.

And as to the point of actual exhaustion: Ha! That's me, daily, but it's got nothing to do w/ calories. I'm an insomniac whose remedy is to wipe herself out.

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 09:54 PM   #47
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Quote:
Originally posted by Laurelyn
What do you consider an "overblown excerise schedule?"
well, that depends somewhat on the person. To be honest, a person with an eating disorder could exhibit any, all, or none of the aforementioned examples. I'm just listing off stuff I've noticed in people that definately have an eating disorder. Same goes for the exercise bit.
I know several girls who have what I would call an overblown exercise schedule. eg, I frequently smell BO on them, because they had to get that last exercise session in, and didn't leave time for a shower...or, like SP said, exercising to the point of exhaustion. Again, each person is different--I'm usually doing well if I exercise four times a week, but then, I'm a bit of a lazy bum hey, bottom line: don't be too worried abou it. I would say asking about eating disorders, and wanting to make sure that you don't have one, is the surest sign that you don't have one.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 11:34 PM   #48
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

Just today, at school, we had a presentation about the dangers of eating disorders, and feeling bad about your body. It was kinda wierd though, because it was only for the girls at school - all the guys had to stay in classes. Guys can have eating disorders too, though... Any ways, it was a pretty good informative presentation, lots of stats and they talked a lot about the media's influence, etc. But what was kinda funny is that this lady was going on and on about how you don't need to worry about your weight, you shouldn't cont calories, etc, and then when people answered her questions and stuff she's like, "and here's a sugar free candy for you!" We're all like, hmm, sugar free, and yet you tell us not to worry about what we eat??? So yeah, it was kind of funny, but I thought it was good that we got a presentation at school about it.

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote