Old 12-05-2001, 09:31 PM   #41
Finglas
Enting

I don't like Manwe. He seems way too aloof for a Valar
Finglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 07:23 AM   #42
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
I like Manwe.
But I DON"T like Ungoliant.

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 07:56 AM   #43
Evenstar
Elven Warrior

Tells ending of LotR...so Beware!!! It's also kinda long!!!

There was no one that I really disliked!!! Everyone (well some of them) had their moments where I thought *you ninnyhammer* but I also had moments that I thought that they were beuatiful characters!!! Now understand that I have only read LotR and the Hobbit...But characters like Boromir, who tried to steal the ring, made up for it in my mind, when he kept on fighting even though he was pierced with 3 arrows. Now Gimli was stubborn and what ever...but you can also think of it as him being proud, and defiant in his beliefs...and his friendship that he developed with Legolas showed that he was a nice dwarve...unlike some of the others!!! I loved Merry and Pippin...I thought they were a great...and although Pippin was "a fool of a took" he was brave and loyal and saved Faramir from being burnt alive!!! Merry saved Eowyn....Aragorn may have been a brooding sort of fellow but he had a heavy weight...cause he was future King and was afraid that he would fail as his blood line did (I can't think of the guys name....was it Isildur??)
Frodo and Sam I never thought ill of!!! I loved them and I honoured them...they were a brilliant story in themselves!!! Bilbo...although he turn all creepy when his "preciousssss" ring was in sight...he was caring and had had an EVIL ring in his possession for many years!!! Gollum...erg...theres a character...I really wanted Sam to kill him a couple of times (well maybe all the time) but as Gandalf said, "My heart tells me the Gollum may have a role to play yet" and if it weren't for him, Frodo would have kept the Ring ( but I suppose he still would have 10 fingers hehe) Saruman and Wormtongue I disliked I suppose!!! But not greatly!!! Sauron wasn't in it enough for me to develop a strong hatred towards him!!! But I did want to kick his evil arse back to Mount Doom a couple of times!!!

I think I'll write about the people from the Hobbit later cause it's late in Australia and I think I wrote to much already!!! Thank you for listening!!!
Old 02-20-2002, 02:46 PM   #44
MasterMothra
Elven Warrior

disliked most of the valar, manwe the most what a puss. he was the leader of the valar, he should have faced morgoth face to face in battle. instead he lets the noldor do his dirty work while he sits in his nice little valinor. all the valar were weak and frightened of morgoth's power. only after the elves weakened angbar did the valar come to the aid. haha reminds me of the fbi, let everyone else do the work then the take the credit. i did like ulmo and the valar that created the dwarves.
Old 02-20-2002, 03:00 PM   #45
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by MasterMothra
disliked most of the valar, manwe the most what a puss. he was the leader of the valar, he should have faced morgoth face to face in battle. instead he lets the noldor do his dirty work while he sits in his nice little valinor. all the valar were weak and frightened of morgoth's power. only after the elves weakened angbar did the valar come to the aid. haha reminds me of the fbi, let everyone else do the work then the take the credit. i did like ulmo and the valar that created the dwarves.
Gee, you sound a lot like Feanor. Actually, I think that the Valar had every intention of dealing with Morgoth on their own terms, and that includes Manwe. They took council together in the Ring of Doom many times to decide what to do about him and how to protect the Elves and Valinor. The Noldor disobeyed the Valar, and persued Morgoth to Middle-earth. That was their choice, and was the very reason that Valinor was fenced against them. Feanor inflamed the Noldor to rebelion. Not the Valar.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 01:30 AM   #46
MasterMothra
Elven Warrior

well talk is cheap, and thats about all the valar did.

valar-" i know melkor just came into our backyard, killed the two trees(our most beloved possession), stole the silmerils and killed your father feanor, but we can protect you and your people. dont leave its dangerous out there, your safer here."

feanor-"ok, so when are we goin after him so he doesnt utterly destroy us?"

valar-"uhhh......were not. anyone wanna hear more music. the partys not over.

hmmm. seems like the noldar were gonna die anyway, so why not go out fighting? the valar already demonstated the lack of protection they can offer the elves. and how many valar were there? surely all the mighty valar could defeat one morgoth. so the only reasonable reason that they didnt go after him is they were scared, yep, yellowbellies.

this opinion in no way represents the opinions of the tolkien trail or any of their employees.
Old 02-21-2002, 02:04 AM   #47
Nibs
Head Hollara

Well, I think all the evil of Middle-Earth stemmed from Melkor. Every bit of it. He began by befriending the elves and telling them Orome was their predator and thus made many of the elves fear the Valar. It went downhill from there.

Many were brought into Melkor's service by either fear or desire for power, and I believe the latter is the cause of corruption throughout the books. No exceptions, except perhaps the One Ring (which is an issue all to itself).

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 02:20 AM   #48
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by MasterMothra
valar-" i know melkor just came into our backyard, killed the two trees(our most beloved possession), stole the silmerils and killed your father feanor, but we can protect you and your people. dont leave its dangerous out there, your safer here."

feanor-"ok, so when are we goin after him so he doesnt utterly destroy us?"

valar-"uhhh......were not. anyone wanna hear more music. the partys not over.
Yeah. That's exactly the sense I got. But it looks like I'm in the minority here. Caution is good, but only if you are actually planning to do something at all, not just to sit there and wait things out when it's clear they won't resolve without a plan.

I dislike Thingol. Alot. I think his wisdom, although he is not entirely an idiot, is highly overrated. He was arrogant, xenophobic, and selfabsorbed and definitely had the blinders on in quite a few cases. It shows. It makes him do arrogant, xenophobic, and selfabsorbed things.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 11:10 PM   #49
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Denethor. I just have a problem with that guy. He's mean to Pippin.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 12:28 AM   #50
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by mirrille

I dislike Thingol. Alot. I think his wisdom, although he is not entirely an idiot, is highly overrated. He was arrogant, xenophobic, and selfabsorbed and definitely had the blinders on in quite a few cases. It shows. It makes him do arrogant, xenophobic, and selfabsorbed things.
Thank goodness somebody else sees the light.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 02:44 AM   #51
MasterMothra
Elven Warrior

yeah, thingol was a joke. without melian he was nothing. he was also a weak punk. guess he got it from his inlaws the mair and valar.
Old 02-25-2002, 06:40 PM   #52
Elf Girl
Lurker

I don't think Denethor is as bad as he looks. I mean, he genuinly thought it was the only way out for his son. I hate Saruman most, probably brcause of his dislike of trees (I'm convinced I'm a decendent of the Ents)and how he manipulates everyone with his voice.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 09:30 PM   #53
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I dislike Gorbag and Shagrat because they both manage to lose.
Old 02-28-2002, 12:14 PM   #54
Elvellon
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Thank goodness somebody else sees the light.
Well SGH, allow me to disagree whit you on this…

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote