Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-06-2006, 10:53 AM   #561
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
You may be surprised to hear it, but I can understand where these extremes come from. Much in the same way that I can understand where they come from on the other side.

Just as I would favour eliminating islamic extremism by addressing with genuine grievances, I would say that Western extremism can only be eliminated by addressing the perceived threats posed by such nutters.

Unfortunately, at the moment, the two are locked in a positive feedback loop. Who has the vision and leadership to break it?
Maybe the next president.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:27 PM   #562
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
You may be surprised to hear it, but I can understand where these extremes come from. Much in the same way that I can understand where they come from on the other side.
I'm not surprised to hear you find their views rather understandable- I actually rather expected you would. They have some very genuine grievances, very logical reasons for turning to jihad, unhappily for us! I find it understandable too.
Quote:
Just as I would favour eliminating islamic extremism by addressing with genuine grievances, I would say that Western extremism can only be eliminated by addressing the perceived threats posed by such nutters.
Agreed.
Quote:
Unfortunately, at the moment, the two are locked in a positive feedback loop. Who has the vision and leadership to break it?
I don't think anyone will. My view is that the situation between the Muslim and Western civilizations will only continue to deteriorate.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 01:42 PM   #563
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
Maybe the next president.
I think it will take generations to recover from the mess Bush has made of things. And thats assuming rare leadership among more then just the US. Theres just been so much damage done.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 02:08 PM   #564
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

President Bush did what he had to in Iraq and Afghanistan. Strong evidence was indicating that Iraq had WMDs and was dodging the weapons inspectors, as is proven by the fact that an overwhelming majority in Congress voted in favor of war. So there was strong evidence that Iraq had WMDs. Congress isn't a bunch of idiots- deceiving them all would have been unbelievably difficult.

President Bush genuinely believed there were WMDs in Iraq, and so did almost all the other highly professional and well trained leaders of our country. So President Bush made the only rational decision he had available to him at the time.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Old 10-06-2006, 02:50 PM   #565
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
Then too there's the ever popular phrase, adapted for the post 9-11 period:

"kill them all and let Allah sort them out"

just pointing out the extremes in thought, feeling, word and deed
Quote please?

Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:11 PM   #566
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex

I think it will take generations to recover from the mess Bush has made of things. And thats assuming rare leadership among more then just the US. Theres just been so much damage done.

What Clinton left behind was a mess, you really can't blame Bush ALL the way...

tell me this isn't hilarious...

Quote:
Cinderella, according to document 2, named one of her sons Maddas, which is Saddam spelt backwards. Saddam, who obviously knew his Cinderella lore, was considered among other Cinderella scholars as “too radical”. All the women in his harem, for instance, were cinderellian witches. Some very good sources suggest Saddam’s lineage goes back to Cinderella…

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide

Last edited by hectorberlioz : 10-09-2006 at 04:36 PM.
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:31 PM   #567
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
President Bush did what he had to in Iraq and Afghanistan. Strong evidence was indicating that Iraq had WMDs and was dodging the weapons inspectors, as is proven by the fact that an overwhelming majority in Congress voted in favor of war. So there was strong evidence that Iraq had WMDs. Congress isn't a bunch of idiots- deceiving them all would have been unbelievably difficult.

President Bush genuinely believed there were WMDs in Iraq, and so did almost all the other highly professional and well trained leaders of our country. So President Bush made the only rational decision he had available to him at the time.
I never got the impression that the evidence was 'overwhelming', at least it was pretty disputed here in Norway. Though I don't doubt there were many who believed it.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:50 PM   #568
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

for those who missed this input

This bears repeating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
At the siege of Vienna in 1683 Islam seemed poised to overrun Christian Europe. We are in a new phase of a very old war.

a recent Swedish immigrant to the United States, who gave a first-hand account of the effects of unfettered Muslim immigration on Swedish culture.

The day before that we featured translations of Norwegian articles about the expanding “no-go zones” — enclaves of immigrant lawlessness — in Oslo.

Sweden is farther down the road towards Eurabia, but Norway is moving along fast enough in the same direction. The HonestThinking post expressed the fear that parts of Oslo would soon become like the Swedish city Malmö, which is notorious for its violent immigrant strongholds.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:15 PM   #569
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

There are problems around here, yes, and there are a few places in Oslo that got immigrant majority - but no serious clashes. Never heard of any lawlessness. The good people at HonestThinking are free to make any claims they wants, as far as I've gathered the site is considered a bit reactionary and its criticism of e.g. the Norwegian statistical bureau has, as far as I know, been pretty solidly refuted.

Last edited by Falagar : 10-10-2006 at 01:16 PM.
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:18 PM   #570
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:

Lief it goes far beyond the invasion of Afghanistan and even the invasion of Iraq. Unfortunately for us, most of the world disagrees that the Iraq invasion was necessary and just saying well most of the American government was for it isn’t going to make them any more understanding I would think. And my point is that the damage done by Bush’s many decisions (largely foreign policy Im talking about here) is going to take a long long time to recover from. For it is the rest of the world that has lost great respect for us and/or hates us more then ever now because of his policy decisions. This translates into MORE terrorism and less ability to effect change around the world on very important issues. You realize theres a good chance that the current extremist president in Iran wouldn’t be in power now if Bush hadn’t been reelected? And that the kook in North Korea may not have gone to the extent of getting nukes if he didn’t fear Bush was going to do to them what he did to Iraq (“axis of evil” anyone?). And lets not even go to his policy regarding Israel and Palastine and countless other things.

Old 10-10-2006, 03:12 PM   #571
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Boy that's a rather gloomy analysis.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:18 PM   #572
inked
Elf Lord

Want some gloom, try the Jerusalem POST on Russian involvement in Hizbollah and Syria - now, today, and currently:

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satelli...cle%2FShowFull

Bush is not responsible for all the angst in the world today, unfortunately. There are plenty of angst-makers and something less than myopia will reveal them.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:29 PM   #573
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Ahhh, agnst-makers, now THAT I can relate to. Thanks for the links.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:58 PM   #574
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Bush is not responsible for all the angst in the world today, unfortunately.
I agree. He's just one of the major contributors.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:18 PM   #575
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Lief it goes far beyond the invasion of Afghanistan and even the invasion of Iraq. Unfortunately for us, most of the world disagrees that the Iraq invasion was necessary and just saying well most of the American government was for it isn’t going to make them any more understanding I would think. And my point is that the damage done by Bush’s many decisions (largely foreign policy Im talking about here) is going to take a long long time to recover from. For it is the rest of the world that has lost great respect for us and/or hates us more then ever now because of his policy decisions. This translates into MORE terrorism and less ability to effect change around the world on very important issues.
I agree that this is what it will translate to and is already translating to. But I don't think there were ever any good options. Our best intelligence said that Saddam was developing WMDs. So from our point of view at that time, that was what he was doing. And President Bush had to decide what to do from the perspective that Saddam was developing WMDs, and there weren't many options. He wasn't cooperating with the UN inspectors, and France had outright said that it would veto any proposal that the Bush Administration made in the Security Council. So the UN was a closed avenue, and that didn't leave many options.

And as regards Afghanistan, our only option aside from attacking was allowing bin Laden to continue striking from Afghan bases.
Quote:
You realize theres a good chance that the current extremist president in Iran wouldn’t be in power now if Bush hadn’t been reelected?
Granted that extremism is growing as a consequence of our presence in Iraq. Like I said, I don't think we ever had any good options.
Quote:
And that the kook in North Korea may not have gone to the extent of getting nukes if he didn’t fear Bush was going to do to them what he did to Iraq (“axis of evil” anyone?).
Surely you don't buy that?
Quote:
And lets not even go to his policy regarding Israel and Palastine and countless other things.
As regards his policy on Israel and Palestine, I have to agree with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falagar
I never got the impression that the evidence was 'overwhelming', at least it was pretty disputed here in Norway. Though I don't doubt there were many who believed it.
The citizens of Norway would not have had access to high level US intelligence information. That kind of intelligence includes many secrets. Congress would have and did have access to it, however, and they are professionals.

Old 10-10-2006, 05:42 PM   #576
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Surely you don't buy that?
Well why is it so hard to believe that a maniacal paranoid out of touch dictator would think nuclear weapons would be his only hope at stemming the destruction of his regime since the US already showed it would invade Iraq and Afghanistan AND it listed North Korea on the very same list of "evil" countries along with Iraq. Perhaps in his mind he thought with that cowboy in there its just a matter of time before they try to pull something on us and there goes my cognac connections! Quick! Get missile technology! Make a bomb!

Old 10-10-2006, 05:51 PM   #577
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

They were developing these weapons all the way back in the 1980s, near the NK town of Yongbyon. Hans Blix and nuclear inspectors went to check out the site in the early 1990s and Blix suspected at that time that they were secretly developing nuclear weapons. Secretary of State James Baker has said that North Korea had a crude nuclear device even during his time in office.

North Korea's nuclear weapons development is a process that has been going on for decades, not just in the last few years.

Old 10-10-2006, 08:29 PM   #578
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I've thought about the point you raised about the poverty in the Middle East, Gaffer, and researched it since we last talked here. And my findings have indicated to me that poverty in most places really isn't the source of radicalism. It's a natural one for us Westerners to think of, seeing as we come from a capitalist mindset, but it doesn't jive with the facts. I'll give you more on this perhaps tonight . . . or maybe tomorrow or the day after. I'm in a school time crunch at the moment, so I can't present you my case immediately.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:09 PM   #579
hectorberlioz

Well Bin Laden certainly wasn't impoverished...

My dad pointed out once that most of the radicals seemed to have been educated and/or wealthy. The leaders, anyways.

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 10-10-2006, 09:20 PM   #580
hectorberlioz

Quote:
Well why is it so hard to believe that a maniacal paranoid out of touch dictator would think nuclear weapons would be his only hope at stemming the destruction of his regime since the US already showed it would invade Iraq and Afghanistan AND it listed North Korea on the very same list of "evil" countries along with Iraq. Perhaps in his mind he thought with that cowboy in there its just a matter of time before they try to pull something on us and there goes my cognac connections! Quick! Get missile technology! Make a bomb!
There seems to be a game mindset, I have noticed it (not that thats very hard).

However, if you noticed; countries with whacks had SOME kind of nuclear or other mass weapons program BEFORE Bush. It has been going on for quite awhile, and that is why blaming it on Bush just doesn't cut the mustard. Clinton sold stuff to China, and I don't think it's that hard of a leap to figure out that N.Korea and China have something goin' on. No one person can be blamed.

I don't think Iraq was about WMD per se, nor about oil. I think Bush, after 9/11, realized that stuff had to change in the middle-east, or America would undergo more attacks or worse. Taking over Iraq had a lot of pros; to the rest of the Islamic world, ousting Saddam and the Taliban (in Afghanistan), was no small thing. This scared the heck out of the nuclear-developing tyrants. Of course, in the long run it has backfired on us...

The Da CINDY Code
~