Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 02:51 PM   #381
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

But it seemed to me that he was speaking of degrees of goodness and badness being the same. Maybe I misunderstood.

I'd certainly agree that all belief systems have lead to both good and bad things. But I'd also say that some have led to more good than others, and some to more bad than others. Would you agree?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 11-21-2005, 02:51 PM   #382
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
Do you really, truly believe that, when there are belief systems out there that are into things like sacrificing infants? Do you really believe that any one belief system is just as good or bad as another?
i think the major ones are all the same, more or less... some are more passive in nature (buddhism), some more aggressive (islam), and some in the middle (christianity)... obviously there are radical subsets of all those religions, the branch davidians in waco were christian, the al qaeda muslim, some of the violent in tibet buddhists... but the religions, in and of themselves do not have to be violent... one does not have to look far to find thousands who interpret all three of those belief systems in much more peaceful terms

the source of the problem mostly lies in what one might call "absolute belief" in one's particular system... only those who believe their system must be the true reality of the world is going to sacrifice their own life for a cause they think is just... a casual believer who is not even sure there is an afterlife is very unlikely to toss this life aside

this does not mean that "absolute believers" of any of these systems (or others) have to be fanatical, it just means that they have the ability to become fanatical, especially when they live in an extreme and violent environment

if muhammed, for example, had never existed, and all of the middle east was christian other than the jewish presence in israel, i highly doubt the situation would be terribly different if all the other factors remained the same: authoritarian governments, extreme social inequality, a very violent history, massive natural resources controlled by a small proportion of the population, etc.

focusing on the muslim belief itself is a mistake, as well as being a pointless endeavor, because you are much more likely to be able to change any one of the problems i listed than to change someone's belief system... even if you think that belief system itself is part of the problem
Old 11-21-2005, 03:50 PM   #383
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

And now for Richard Pryors Advice on this subject

...You watch out for them Double Muslims...
Old 11-21-2005, 06:13 PM   #384
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
But it seemed to me that he was speaking of degrees of goodness and badness being the same. Maybe I misunderstood.

I'd certainly agree that all belief systems have lead to both good and bad things. But I'd also say that some have led to more good than others, and some to more bad than others. Would you agree?
I agree. (I know you weren't talking to me, but this made me thing of something else.)

I think that we can't say which has done more good or bad between Christianity and Islam because we're not looking at it historically. (I know you weren't saying that, this is my thought on the subject.)

I also don't think we need to answer that question. What's important that those who are doing good, and there are a lot of people, continue to do so. We don't need to keep score.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
if muhammed, for example, had never existed, and all of the middle east was christian other than the jewish presence in israel, i highly doubt the situation would be terribly different if all the other factors remained the same: authoritarian governments, extreme social inequality, a very violent history, massive natural resources controlled by a small proportion of the population, etc.

focusing on the muslim belief itself is a mistake, as well as being a pointless endeavor, because you are much more likely to be able to change any one of the problems i listed than to change someone's belief system... even if you think that belief system itself is part of the problem
I completely agree! That's what I was trying to say earlier, but it just didn't come across very well.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 11-21-2005, 07:14 PM   #385
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
We don't need to keep score.
*echos of pre-Nazi Germany...*

I know what you're saying, but I don't think not watching and analyzing things is right, either...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 11-21-2005, 10:30 PM   #386
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
*echos of pre-Nazi Germany...*

I know what you're saying, but I don't think not watching and analyzing things is right, either...
I see what you're saying. I just meant "keep score" in the most literal sense. I don't think we shouldn't evaluate the world around us and pay attention to what's going on.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 11-21-2005, 11:10 PM   #387
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Everyone focuses on the extremist offshoot sects of Muslims who do the suicide bombings to make their point, but does anyone recall (o.k., not LITerally, but) the Crusades, and Spanish Inquisition, and all the other countless crimes against humanity that were committed throughout history by - you guessed it, CHRISTIANS. Jews aren't always fair, either. So are we gonna sit in self-important ivory towers and point fingers at one particular religious group and say "oh, we're better than them because A., B. and C.?" Give me a break. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Personally, I dislike organised religion as a rule, but I respect those who hold beliefs for the person or people that they ARE, with or without some particular dogma they might adhere to.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 11-22-2005, 08:48 AM   #388
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

hmm, The Crusades were partly a Christian world response to Muslim attacks/advances and take over.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:33 AM   #389
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
hmm, The Crusades were partly a Christian world response to Muslim attacks/advances and take over.
as i've said before, it is very easy to justify just about anything from your own pov
Old 11-22-2005, 10:55 AM   #390
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

The Christians during the Middle Ages were quite agressive too. And think of the battles that were faught between Catholics and Protestants.
Both Christianity and Islam have a bloody history.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:20 AM   #391
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

yeah, and the athiests reap the bounty.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:17 PM   #392
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
yeah, and the athiests reap the bounty.
What exactly do you mean by that Spock? I don't always understand your posts, so I hope you're not saying what I think you're saying.

This statement, to me, says that somehow atheists benefit from violence between two groups of Christians.
Quote:
Old 11-22-2005, 05:33 PM   #393
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

yep. no investment in beliefs nor customs nor tradition as the "established religions" so unbelievers of anything do benefit.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:36 PM   #394
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
yep. no investment in beliefs nor customs nor tradition as the "established religions" so unbelievers of anything do benefit.
nah, we just spend our time on the important stuff
Old 11-22-2005, 05:55 PM   #395
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
That is utter bollocks. I can't believe you think atheists benefit from violence. From people dying!
Firstly, (though the violence in Northern Ireland* does not even cause this) the disestablishment of organised religion would have a neutral effect on atheists, as they are not members of any religion. What possible benefit would an atheist gain? Atheists generally don't want anything bad to happen to religions, they merely don't share their beliefs.
Secondly, it is completely insensitive and offensive to suggest that atheists would benefit from violence. (Though Brownie seems much less offended than I am. )

*Jonathan's comment of "And think of the battles that were faught between Catholics and Protestants" made me think of the ongoing violence in Northern Ireland.
Quote:
Old 11-22-2005, 06:23 PM   #396
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Woah, aren't customs or traditions also included in culture, not just what you believe in? And I'm far off-topic with this post
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:08 PM   #397
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
That is utter bollocks. I can't believe you think atheists benefit from violence. From people dying!
Sorry but I can't believe the things you believe either but you don't see me cursing you AND YOU SHOULDN'T TO ME EITHER.

Quote:
Secondly, it is completely insensitive and offensive to suggest that atheists would benefit from violence.
I may be but then you are only content with those who agree with you and who are "sensitive to your needs". Sorry, not me. When religious factions fight, those out of the arena are generally not concerned with the outcome, just what they can get and how their lifestyle is impacted by the fighting.

I'd put in mad faces but I had to use Netscape to get to the Moot tonight.

Last edited by Spock : 11-22-2005 at 11:12 PM.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:33 PM   #398
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Sorry but I can't believe the things you believe either but you don't see me cursing you AND YOU SHOULDN'T TO ME EITHER.
It was the idea, and not you personally, that I was cursing at. (Though I realize that this isn't always immediately obvious.)

Quote:
I may be but then you are only content with those who agree with you and who are "sensitive to your needs".
That is untrue; I am not only content with those who are "sensitive to my needs". (Unless by "sensitive to my needs" you mean "not accusing atheists of benefiting from violence".) Maybe we'll come to understand each other better once we've posted together more.

Quote:
Sorry, not me. When religious factions fight, those out of the arena are generally not concerned with the outcome, just what they can get and how their lifestyle is impacted by the fighting.

I'd put in mad faces but I had to use Netscape to get to the Moot tonight.
I fail to see how this supports your earlier statement that atheists "reap the bounty" of violence between two Christian groups. I honestly have no idea why you think this.
I think it's much more likely that people not directly involved in the fighting will have compassion for those impacted, or at the very least, not have an opinion. Only in a few callous people do I imagine they actually feel benefited.
I do agree though, that people will be concerned about the impact of the violence on their own lives.
Quote:
Old 11-23-2005, 10:43 AM   #399
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

never mind

Last edited by Hasty Ent : 11-23-2005 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:56 AM   #400
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Just for the record: atheists tend to get killed when large religions collide. There is no correlation whatsoever between atheists getting rich and Christians (or Muslims) dieing. Religious wars hurt everybody.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Closed Thread