Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-15-2004, 05:48 PM   #21
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

Quote:
Originally posted by Thorin II
Certainly possible, but that's not how I see it. How can it "cause" itself to slip off a finger? If it could do that, couldn't it have rolled itself out of the riverbed sometime in the 2500 years it sat there? It makes more sense to me to think that the Ring's power is over the hearts and minds of those around it. As such, it can act indirectly by imposing its will on others.
While, as Earniel says, it did shrink or grow to fit the finger of its bearer, I don't think it had control of the 'material' world around it. When it 'slipped off someone's finger' - it may have been due to the control it exerted over the mind of the bearer... causing them to 'slack off' a bit and without their notice, allow the Ring to slip away...

Plausible???
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 06:30 PM   #22
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

The ring could appearantly make itself lighter and heavier, or larger and smaller, to fit any bearer. That's how it slipped off- simply becoming too large to fit while they weren't noticing.
Old 01-15-2004, 06:43 PM   #23
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally posted by Thorin II
Certainly possible, but that's not how I see it. How can it "cause" itself to slip off a finger? If it could do that, couldn't it have rolled itself out of the riverbed sometime in the 2500 years it sat there? It makes more sense to me to think that the Ring's power is over the hearts and minds of those around it. As such, it can act indirectly by imposing its will on others.
Gandalf makes it quite clear that the Ring shrinks and grows on it's own and may be tight one time and slip off the finger the next. Other than that - it does not seem as if the Ring has many other powers - such as rolling itself out of the river or speaking. It's goal is always to get back to Sauron and tries to find "victims" which will ultimately bring it back to Sauron.

Quote:
"...Though he (Bilbo) found out that the thing (Ring) needed looking after; it did not seem always the same size and weight; it shrank or expanded in an odd way, and might suddenly slip off a finger where it had been tight."

".......A Ring of Power looks after itself, Frodo. It may slip off treacherously but its keeper never abandons it...It was not Gollum, Frodo, but the Ring itself that decided things. The Ring left him...

There was more than one power at work, Frodo. The Ring was trying to get back to it's master. It had slipped from Isildur's hand and betrayed him..."
Well I guess while I was typing my back up quotes - Wayfarer and Valandil beat me to the counter argument.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 01-15-2004 at 06:45 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 06:54 PM   #24
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Gandalf makes it quite clear that the Ring shrinks and grows on it's own and may be tight one time and slip off the finger the next. Other than that - it does not seem as if the Ring has many other powers - such as rolling itself out of the river or speaking. It's goal is always to get back to Sauron and tries to find "victims" which will ultimately bring it back to Sauron.

Well I guess while I was typing my back up quotes - Wayfarer and Valandil beat me to the counter argument.
Yeah, doesn't Gandalf speak of how Isildur wrote that down about the Ring along with other information, how it burned his hand and would constantly change size and things like that...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 07:06 PM   #25
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
Yeah, doesn't Gandalf speak of how Isildur wrote that down about the Ring along with other information, how it burned his hand and would constantly change size and things like that...
yeah - that's in the Council of Elrond chapter - I just took the quotes from The Shadow of the Past chapter.

In the Council of Elrond...

Quote:
"And after thse words isildur described the Ring, such as he found it.

It was hot when I first took it, hot as a glede, and my hand was scorched, so that I doubt if ever again I shall be free of the pain of it. Yet even as I write it is cooled, and it seemeth to shrink, though it loseth neither its beauty nor its shape. Already the writing upon it, which at first was as clear as red flame, fadeth and is now only barely to be read...

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 07:10 PM   #26
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

lol i just noticed someone has there own credit for speaking as the ring in the film, wonder if that got there break into stardom? lol

Visit the Ye Olde Avatar Shop and The New One

Dont tell me what I cannot do

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

My name bares no reference to the music artist.
Twista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 08:16 PM   #27
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Twista
lol i just noticed someone has there own credit for speaking as the ring in the film, wonder if that got there break into stardom? lol
Actually it wouldn't hurt, because by having those lines in the movie, that person is eligible to become a member of the Screen Actors Guild (SAG), which is a union for actors. So, if that person never acted in a movie before and only did those lines, those lines would set them up nicely for future work
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 01-22-2004, 12:21 AM   #28
Forkbeard
Elven Warrior

I want to say thanks to all those who posted here.

My take on the speaking Ring is that it isn't the Ring that speaks.

While I have many reasons for thinking thus, here are a few:

1) Nowhere does Tolkien prepare us to hear the Ring speak. As a good story teller, when inanimate objects speak, Tolkien either forshadows it, or explains it after the fact. Here he niether forshadoes nor explains....quite an oversight if the Ring is speaking. Further, in all the discussions of the Ring, and indeed of Rings of Power generally, speech is never mentioned as one of its strange powers.

2) the argument of the Ring's will is overblown....did the Ring truly sit down one day, stretch its gold a bit, and think, "You know, I'm tired of this Gollum chap, time to move on"? No, rather it "left" Gollum because its Master was calling it...i. e. it answered a summons much as a magnet answers when summoned by a stronger magnet. It doesn't have sentience.

3) I can not imagine a situation in which someone who is a slave to the Ring as Gollum is would deliberately disobey the Ring. If the Ring commanded Gollum to "Begone" I would expect that Gollum would obey, regardless of his desire. But if it is the Ring speaking than Gollum has disobeyed the thing that he is enslaved to, and that goes against everything Tolkien wrote about the Ring and Gollum.

4) Sam sees this with "other vision" So unless you believe that Frodo dropped trou and donned a white, shining robe and grew several inches suddenly and then shrank back down , it would seem to me that having the Ring speak means believing these things about Frodo. If the reader doesn't believe that Frodo suddenly changed clothes, but rather that Sam is seeing with ther vision" then it follows too that the voice out of the fire is also part of the "other vision" and should not be taken to mean that the Ring speaks.

While I have many more reasons, those are the key ones.

Again, many thanks to all who responded.

Forkbeard
Forkbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 01:41 AM   #29
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

What you say about the Ring not having sentience makes sense Forkbeard. When it left Gollum and went to Bilbo, it began a series of events that ultimately led to its destruction. I think a power greater than Sauron or the Ring had a hand in that, which Gandalf hints at in FotR.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 04:30 AM   #30
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

But Gandalf's words to Frodo in 'The shadow of the past' clearly suggest that the Ring do have a sentience:
Quote:
‘A Ring of Power looks after itself, Frodo. It may slip off treacherously, but its keeper never abandons it. At most he plays with the idea of handing it on to someone else’s care - and that only at an early stage, when it first begins to grip. But as far as I know Bilbo alone in history has ever gone beyond playing, and really done it. He needed all my help, too. And even so he would never have just forsaken it, or cast it aside. It was not Gollum, Frodo, but the Ring itself that decided things. The Ring left him.’
Quote:
The Ring was trying to get back to its master. It had slipped from Isildur’s hand and betrayed him; then when a chance came it caught poor Déagol, and he was murdered; and after that Gollum, and it had devoured him. It could make no further use of him: he was too small and mean; and as long as it stayed with him he would never leave his deep pool again. So now, when its master was awake once more and sending out his dark thought from Mirkwood, it abandoned Gollum.
Edit: Spelling errors.

Last edited by Artanis : 01-22-2004 at 02:45 PM.
Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 02:05 PM   #31
Forkbeard
Elven Warrior

Hi Atanis,

No, I disagree that those passages indicate sentience. Sentience involves self awareness and the ability to think. Not even in Gandalf's words does he indicate that the ring is self aware or can plan things out.

As stated, the Ring "wants" to get back to Sauron. Does this indicate desire or nature? If desure, then the Ring is in some sentient, but if nature, then it isn't. That is to say, Sauron created the Ring, he transferred a good deal of himself and his power into the Ring. Thus, the Ring's nature is Sauron, like wants to join with like. Further, the moments when the Ring "acts" are interesting in this regard: the first time that Isildure WEARS the Ring, not just carries it, is at Gladden Fields--the removal from Sauron is still very recent, and the first time someone else trys to use it, and does not Master it, it slips off.
Think of it this way: Sauron is a magnet, the Ring is a chink off the original magnet, and the magentic pull of Sauron pulls the Ring to itself at every opportunity. The time when that pull is strongest is when the bearer of the Ring uses it. Thus Isildure lost the Ring and his life the first he uses it. Gollum lost the Ring while using it when Sauron's magnetic pull reasserts itself in Mirkwood. This isn't sentience, it is simply two parts of a whole drawing together, like a magnet. Sauron is sentient, there is no real indication that the Ring is.

And so to Gandalf's statements. Does Gandalf really mean to indicate that the Ring made decisions and made plans? It is in the nature of the Ring to protect itself. But sharks have that instinct too, but they are not sentient. It is in the nature of the Ring to return to Sauron: salmon return every year to their place of birth, but are not sentient. It is in the nature of the Ring to tempt and to twist human intent with its promise of power, but the Presidency does this as well, and the Presidency is not sentient itself. The current President may or may not be, but that's a different issue.

Thus, if we take Gandalf's words literally, there is still no need to attribute to the Ring sentience, self awareness, and deliberate planning.

Forkbeard
Old 01-22-2004, 02:43 PM   #32
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Hi Forkbeard!

Perhaps I should not have used the word 'sentience', I may have put a wrong meaning into it, due to my limited knowledge of English. Let me try to elaborate.

I agree with what you say about Sauron and how he put his power into the Ring, and the attraction between those two, and the nature of the Ring. But I do also think that the Ring had capability to act by itself, not 'make plans' maybe, but certainly act without getting any clear 'orders' from its master, in order to reach its aim, to get back to Sauron. Gandalf says "A Ring of Power looks after itself", and "the Ring itself decided things", these are stronger statements than "The Ring was trying to get back to its master". I agree of course that the will of the Ring had its source in Sauron, but the Ring was still a separate entity, on its own.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:02 PM   #33
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

I agree with Artanis and that is how I have always read into things as well...

--Linaewen
Old 01-22-2004, 03:16 PM   #34
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

Originally posted by Artanis
I agree of course that the will of the Ring had its source in Sauron, but the Ring was still a seperate entity, on its own.
"Because of its great evil power, the Ring has curious properties. It possessed a certain amount of self-determination. Gandalf, who had wisdom in such matters, claimed that Bilbo found the Ring because it wanted to be found in order to be reunited with Sauron".

Perhaps the Ring's "sentience" is a property similar to the way I believe it has been speculated in some threads that dragons and such may have been imbued with some of Morgoth's essence to make them active. Is it that much of a stretch to imagine some of
Sauron's power (in the Ring) acting autonomously. From "Letters" #131: "Even if he did not wear it, that power existed and was in 'rapport' with himself", this quote seems to indicate a subsidiary power of Sauron in the Ring acting essentially intelligently on its own, but to the purpose of reuniting with Sauron. Speculative, of course.

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 01:37 PM   #35
Thorin II
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
While, as Earniel says, it did shrink or grow to fit the finger of its bearer, I don't think it had control of the 'material' world around it. When it 'slipped off someone's finger' - it may have been due to the control it exerted over the mind of the bearer... causing them to 'slack off' a bit and without their notice, allow the Ring to slip away...

Plausible???
Well put; that's exactly what I meant. Although, as others have pointed out, the Ring did change sizes to fit the wearer, I don't know that was an "action" so much as just being an innate magical property of the Ring itself.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:55 AM   #36
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

Re: The Ring Speaks?

Quote:
Originally posted by Forkbeard
Elsewhere on the Net a discussion has raged on whether or not the Ring speaks. So I'd like to get comments and an unscientific poll of those present.

In RoTK, "Mount Doom", Frodo and Sam are on their way up the volcano when Gollum attacks them. Frodo beats Gollum off, tells him to get down, he can't do anything to Frodo now.

Then:

Then suddenly, as before under the eaves of the Emyn Muil, Sam saw these two rivals with other vision. A crouching shape, scarcely more than the shadow of a living thing, a creature now wholly ruined and defeated, yet filled with a hideous lust and rage; and before it stood stern, untouchable now by pity, a figure robed in white, but at its breast it held a wheel of fire. Out of the fire spoke a commanding voice.

'Begone, and trouble me no more! If you touch me ever again, you shall be cast yourself into the Fire of Doom.'

So whom do readers think is the speaker here, Frodo or the Ring?
Souds like Frodo to me

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 05:32 AM   #37
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Forkbeard
4) Sam sees this with "other vision" So unless you believe that Frodo dropped trou and donned a white, shining robe and grew several inches suddenly and then shrank back down , it would seem to me that having the Ring speak means believing these things about Frodo. If the reader doesn't believe that Frodo suddenly changed clothes, but rather that Sam is seeing with ther vision" then it follows too that the voice out of the fire is also part of the "other vision" and should not be taken to mean that the Ring speaks.
I cannot agree more.

The power of the ring is a power over mind and will. Here it is putting an image into Sam's mind and also it is forcing the will of Frodo to behave according to that image: speaking and acting as Lord of the Ring.

The ring has not a physical power. I'm not sure, but I think that when "it seems" to grow and to shrink may be due to the perception (influenced in the mind by the ring) of those that are seing it.

When it slips of a finger, may be also due to its power over the mind. Everyone that has worn a ring knows that some days it may slip easier than others because the fingers do grow and shrink. I suppose that is a reaction to weather or something like that, but I think that that reaction may be governed by our mind, and so the ring would have a chance to slip if our mind is not strong enough to control it.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:02 PM   #38
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Also, the Orc in the tower of Cirith Ungol thought Sam was a huge Elf lord. This was partly fueled by rumours about an Elf lord who stabbed Shelob, and the fact that the orc was already afraid. The Ring enhanced these fears.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 07:11 PM   #39
Forkbeard
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
Hi Forkbeard!

Perhaps I should not have used the word 'sentience', I may have put a wrong meaning into it, due to my limited knowledge of English. Let me try to elaborate.

I agree with what you say about Sauron and how he put his power into the Ring, and the attraction between those two, and the nature of the Ring. But I do also think that the Ring had capability to act by itself, not 'make plans' maybe, but certainly act without getting any clear 'orders' from its master, in order to reach its aim, to get back to Sauron. Gandalf says "A Ring of Power looks after itself", and "the Ring itself decided things", these are stronger statements than "The Ring was trying to get back to its master". I agree of course that the will of the Ring had its source in Sauron, but the Ring was still a separate entity, on its own.
Ok, I can live with this, but then it seems to me that one can not argue that the Ring can speak.

Forkbeard
Old 01-29-2004, 09:57 PM   #40
matthew
Enting

I'm thinking it was Frodo speaking, with the Ring enhancing his voice. The Ring, if it did have vocal cords, would certainly not have made such a bizzare announcement. (although it definitely did change sizes to slip off of fingers)

Flame me. Go ahead.

Matthew in 2028. One by one we're bringing them back.

Vote Nader.

Stop the hamster eaters!!!!

End global warming! Turn on the AC!!!

Gadzooks! Run!
matthew is offline   Reply With Quote